So, why have none of you talked about Practical Programming novice program?

So, why have none of you talked about Practical Programming novice program?

Phase One: 2-4 Weeks
Increase deadlift by 10 lbs per successful workout, 5 lbs for other workouts.
Day A
>Squats 3x5
>OHP 3x5
>Deadlift 1x5

Day B
>Squats 3x5
>Bench 3x5
>Deadlift 1x5
------------------------------
Phase Two: 1-2 Months
Switch deadlift weight progression to 5 lbs increases.
Day A
>Squats 3x5
>OHP 3x5
>Chin-Ups 3xF (If you can get 10 reps, switch to weighted at 5 reps)

Day B
>Squats 3x5
>Bench 3x5
>Deadlift 1x5
------------------------------
Phase Three: 2-3 Months
Use microplates for Bench/OHP if you feel their progression slowing down.
Day A
>Squats 3x5
>OHP/Bench 3x5
>Chin-Ups 3xF (If you can get 10 reps, switch to weighted at 5 reps)
>Back Extensions 3x10 (optional but helpful for strengthening lower back for deadlift)

Day B
>Light Squats (75% Monday's Squat) OR Front Squats 3x5
>Bench/OHP 3x5
>Deadlift 1x5

Day C
>Squats 3x5
>OHP/Bench 3x5
>Pull-Ups 3xF (If you can get 10 reps, switch to weighted at 5 reps)
>Back Extensions 3x10

By phase three you could add weighted crunches for ab work and curls/skullcrushers for arm work, but you should be getting plenty of work as is, so add at your own risk.
The book has a whole section discussing that unless you have someone properly teaching you to power clean, it's not worth doing in your routine unless you are training for a sport like soccer or football, in which case you should have a coach for that anyways, as the risk for misuse injury is fairly high (though certainly not guaranteed). The book recommends just doubling down on chin-ups/alternating with pull-ups, since rows are only really useful for intermediates, are really easy for beginners to unknowingly cheat on, and are NOT a substitute for power cleans anyways. Absolutely recommend you still buy both books and read them both cover to cover.

Do you honestly think most people here have read SS, let alone Practical Programming?

Nobody talks about it because all they know is that SS is 3x5 legs only final destination.

Man, that's a sad thought. You'd think people would read about something before dismissing it at face value.

SS and Co. have all reached meme status, people just repeat some shit they heard and move on

90% of people on the internet are stupid morons. Because 90% of people are stupid morons.
I don't even bother trying to teach people, because everybody is more concerning with winning an argument and not losing face (despite being user) than with what's actually true.

Most of Veeky Forums literally doesn't even read their own training program properly. Expecting them to read full books is a recipe for disappointment.

Sad, well I hope someone looking for a better option stumbles across this.

>a ta
i didnt make any srs gains until i started reading SS.

What do you mean? These books, especially practical programming, we're big in the board a few years ago. This board is where some of us got the download link someone here posted for everyone and we discussed things and shit.

I guess I wasn't around then. I have never heard anyone talking about PP on here, just the >SS+GOMAD memes.

You won't hear a lot of people talking about it. Mostly it's that 90% of the board doesn't know the book exists, 9% of the board hasn't read it and the 1% that has tends to dislike how Rip does things.

>Few years ago

Five, at least. About the same time this place got overrun with Feels and relationshit threads, the trend for actually lifting weights gave way to a bunch of 140 lbs numbskulls doing outright brosplits, thinking that a girl might touch them if their ribs got defined enough. People started taking the SS Is A Meme meme seriously, and it's been straight downhill since then.

I’ve read both and pic related is next on my list. It has some conflicting information with SS/PP about volume vs. intensity, rep & set ranges, exercise variation etc (source: arguing with Anons).

Looking forward to the other side of the coin.

Again, sad. I certainly take plenty of what Rip says with a grain of salt (his nutrition advice being the worst of it), but it's hard to deny how useful SS is for learning proper form for squats and deadlifts.

It's always been shit. There's always been a few guys who knew something, and then a bunch of morons who just parrot the latest shit they heard without understanding a goddamn thing.
And that's just the as far as the actual Veeky Forums related stuff goes.

90% of the board is shitposting.
People who talk about some kind of Youtube persona that I cannot for the life of me understand why they even care about, let alone start threads about.
People who whine about anything under the sun.
People who argue like there's no tomorrow about tiny fucking inconsequentual details.
Etc.

The one thing you have to watch with both CWS and Rip is that they have a real tendency to assume everyone already knows the context they're talking about (notably, 99% of the time when CWS talks about strength training it's largely about powerlifting rather than general strength. Rips almost always talking about 'high school footballer' type theoretical lifters) and/or ignore the existence of stuff outside that modality. It leads to some weird misunderstandings when people don't pick up on that.

This book is a thousand times better than Practical Programming. But it's also a little harder to put the info into practice. Which is why the other book is called "practical", I guess.

Why is it harder to put into practice? To be fair, I’ve not seen anyone on Veeky Forums doing ‘SS’ our the book into practice, hell, I haven’t seen people doing SL put just the SL website into practice, let alon Practical Programming.

That’s a valid point. The books are lacking in information for other demographics.
>Males 18-35 should eat 3500-6000 kcal/day depending on body composition.
What about my 75 year old grandma, Rip?
>Get strong first. Conditioning is useful later!
When, Rip? When do I add conditioning?

I like /plg/. It’s probablyonly thread where Squats are below parallel, Bench Presses are not team activity, people are lifting heavy and are not in permanent-cutting limbo. If everyone lifts heavy in your environment, you’ll try to meet the standard. Veeky Forums threads are generally not a good environment except a select few.

>"""general""" """strength"""
lol

Look at the fucking programs suggested in OP. Squatting every single day. To suggest it doesn't overemphasize legs is a bald faced lie.

Read both. Terrible shit.
Chad Smith > any good coach > average coach > shitty coach > shit > worm-faggot > Mark Rippetoe.

you're reading the 2nd edition of practical programming, which is quite old and outdated. all the things you mention are things rip have since changed his opinion on. also, I did that routine when I first started lifting, but it doesn't have enough pulling. I eventually switched to SS, but I wish I just did SS from the beginning as it would have saved me some time

it's fullbody every single time. that's the whole point. it doesn't overemphasize "legs" more than it overemphasizes triceps. but I guess anyone who equates squats with "legs" shouldn't really comment on squatting anyway

Why?

Here is my practical programming routine

FIZZBUZZ 3x5
PHP 3X5
C++ until failure.

>People who follow programs hahahahhaha

that's Starting Strength, it has three phases, this is how I ran it when I was a novice
pretty much but it's good enough for beginners
fig you're a strong lad but people who lift to look good should do the opposite of whatever you do

you bench half your squat and deadlift less than you squat while being a fat unaesthetic shit, there's nothing wrong with that but you have to understand that is not everyone's end goal

You have the lower body and you have no upper body, you got a problem building...wait a minute. You have the upper body, and you have no legs, you got a problem building your legs. You have the upper...you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, the upper body, it is easier to build. So if you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, it is easier to build the upper body. You have the upper body and you don't have the legs, you got a problem building the lower body... No, you don't understand. You have the upper body, but you don't have the lower body, you got a problem building downstairs. You got the up- legs on the bottom, it is easier to build on the top, so you don't have much as a problem.