/FAST/ NO BRAINLETS ALLOWED EDITION

PREV THREAD: /FAST/ FASTING GENERAL
What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and fat fasting
While fasting alone is fantastic for your health, Consider doing a ketogenic in addition to become god mode

>how can I get a quick rundown? Where can I start?
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens
youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

IF AND LIFTING:
leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html?

>any more info?
idmprogram.com/fed-fasted-state/
medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

>Doesn't salt make you explode?
youtube.com/watch?v=amJ-ev8Ial8

WHY YOU SHOULD BE DOING KETO:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8

>autophagy:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/
greatist.com/live/autophagy-fasting-exercise
dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy
selfhacked.com/blog/autophagy-benefits-and-how-to-harness/
roguehealthandfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-boosters-autophagy-enhancers/
roguehealthandfitness.com/coffee-is-associated-with-lower-death-rates/
tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.4161/auto.1.3.2017?needAccess=true

>reddit fag that did a 77 day water fast, notice how he is not 1)dead or 2)looks like a wrinkled vagina
reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/573gkb/just_completed_a_77_day_fast_ama/
PMC3106288/

>Fung talks and lectures:
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
youtu.be/PSR82vmZ5lk
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

Extra:
DRINK COFFEE, DRINK GREEN TEAS
sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170827101750.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24769862

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xgo5-5f3Q-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=NqwvcrA7oe8
youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0
ketosummit.com/ketogenic-crockpot-recipes
youtube.com/watch?v=OpTG02x6w5o
youtube.com/watch?v=7D7ObQcR_-I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for /fast/ed training

Who here /workslonghoursandfastsunintentionally/?

Who here WFPB fasting vegan master race?

so woke

so woke

Just finished a 4 day mini-fast. Going to eat normally through the weekend and attempt a 10 day fast next time.

are eggs fine for coming off a water fast

>Enjoy 16:8 IF
>Wanted to try water fasting for once
>Lasted just under 48 hours
>Total insomnia, couldn't sleep at all
>Diarrhea somehow
>Felt sick with low energy, had a hard time lifting

Does it get easier the more you do it? 16:8 IF fasting is a walk in the park, but I actually felt ill while water fasting for just that short amount of time. Even after breaking the fast I didn't feel very well.

Currently doing 20:4 and digging the benefits. Losing about 0.5kg a week without even thinking about it. Maintaining strength so far.
My only issue is that I get the shits about 1.5hours after I break the fast. Anyone else get this? I generally have a normal shit in the morning. Sometimes a normalish shit at lunch. But then 5pm hits and I eat. And I fucking turn into a high pressure sewerage system at 6:30. What gives?

Not for me they're not. Any time I've done an extended fast I can't deal with them for a few days.

Only one way to find out ;)

break your fast with a light salad if it's longer than a few days. give your gut a chance to wake up and get blood flowing to it before you go sucking down hard to digest foodstuffs

During a fast the body shunts blood to the gut. Bloodflow can reduce by as much as 70%, give it a chance to start working.

It gets easier the more you do it. 16:8 is a joke to us but we all know the normies and fatties out there that complain about how they feel like they'll die if they don't eat breakfast every morning.

Why is this a problem?

>Come off of a short water fast
>Girl invites me out for drinks
>Have a few then come home and eat like 15 eggs in a big fuck you omelette.
Justfuckmeup.png

Yes. Even as a first-time water faster it gets easier. Just grit your teeth whenever you smell nice food and take some salt if you get headaches. The shitty feelings always pass within a couple hours or so.

Thanks. Would veggie stir-fry be too much?

>Thanks. Would veggie stir-fry be too much?
possibly. It's impossible to say so for sure.

I can go for 5 days and then break my fast with 20 boneless HOT wings and 20 bone-in buffaque washed down with a pitcher of beer and enough ranch dressing to drown a toddler with no adverse reaction whatsoever

If I break the fast with a hard-boiled egg I'll be double over with stomach cramps and gas so bad I've had my dogs whimper to be let out of the house

I've been fasting for the better part of 13 years ever since I used it to drop 110 lbs and I've kept it off. The only way I know what I can and cannot break a fast with is trial and error.

Since you're just starting out and your system isn't used to this yet you wanna stick with light easy non-greasy foods.

Despite the horror stories you hear online you can break any moderate fast however you damn well please as long as it agrees with you. You don't need to worry about refeed syndrome or anything like that until you get past the two week point, after that you should tread more carefully.

Everyone I help with fasting I always suggest a light easy salad with mild vinegarette dressing. tomatoes, cucumbers, maybe a little deli meat if you absolutely must. It doesn't even have to be that big. You're just trying to get stuff into the gut to trigger that blood flow so it can ramp up it's energy to do some digesting.

nigger you been eating too much soy

On my third day of water fasting and plan to go until I feel the NEED to eat or I drop to a weight I am not comfortable with. Also hoping to begin a keto diet and am compiling info and recopies ect.

My question is, what should I eat after a long fast to maintain keto and not kill me? I was thinking some sort of salad, some avocado and maybe bacon but I really don't know what would be best.

If you're planning on using keto as a bridge between fasting, I don't recommend going over 5 days. If not you're going to feel really miserable breaking the fast with a ton of fat.

5 days water fast, 2 days keto. Rinse and repeat until you reach your goal.

Thanks for the heads up. Any advice on the meal choice or is it decent?

Alright, I will do a romaine tomato salad for breakfast and dinner (adding a bit of meat at dinner) for the first day after breaking the fast, and then go with a veggie-heavy stir fry (light on the oil) for the second day, adding or removing meat as my stomach feels. I think I'll see how I feel with normal food consumption on day 3.

I really appreciate the advice, user.

Red pill me on cholesterol.

Is it bad is it good?

>tfw I read like a review of a trillion studies that pretty much all claimed high is good and longer life done from a quality country japan

The more dietary saturated fats/omega 3s, the higher your LDL

it's good shit

This is why I am not feeling the KETO low carb train anymore

THE WHOLE FUCKING SHIT IS LIKE A PERDOX LOWER CARB DIETS ARE SUPPOSE TO LOWER COLESTEROL

YET THERE ARE STUDIES THAT I SEE SHOW HIGH LEVELS IMPROVE LONGEVITY

THEN THERE WAS THAT STUDY THAT SHOWED HIGHER FAT LOW CARBS DIETERS LIVE LONGER

FUCK IT THE JEWS ARE BEHIND THIS AND MY BRAIN IS FULL OF FUCK

The point I guess I'm not making clear enough is this:

Unless you're doing an extended fast (2+ weeks) you don't need to do any super specialized re-feeding schedule. None. Zero. Zilch.

You only need to be careful with the first bit of food so that you start bringing the gut back online. You don't even need to do that, you just might experience a little discomfort is all from things getting digested in a cold stomach.

the ONLY purpose of the light salad is to get the signaling going to ramp up the bloodflow to the stomach and gut to wake it up. That's it. After an hour or two go ahead and eat a greasy cheese pizza if you want.

nigger, it raises HDL in relation to LDL, people who live longer have higher HDL

I need to make it a requirement that people research shit before they post in here

I'll further amend this by asking you to consider the first Hominids walking across the plains of africa.

>You've been tracking a herd for the last five days.
>You only vaguely have a faint memory tucked away in the back of your head of green pasture.
>Your wife is carrying your child
>your father is telling you it's the end of times
>a drought this long is beyond living memory.
>You haven't eaten in 5 days since you crossed the river tracking the herd.
>You and your brother and cousins trot ahead and see the herd ruminating about on dry forage.
>you move in slowly
>ready your spears
>give chase.
>five hours later an elderly kudu has collapsed from heat exhaustion
>you run it through.
>your brother cuts out the liver and hands it to you in honor of your killing blow
>you cautiously hold up your hand
>"No I possibly couldn't, we need to find some berries and lettuce to break our fast fast before we eat."
Said no paleolithic primitive human ever.

That does not even make sense that is like saying your left testicle is more important then your right. LDL is produced by the body for a function just as HDL I know damn well what the fuck I am talking about you sweaty wet back nigger.

no LDL is horrible and clogs your arteries when coupled with stress and high triglycerides
fuck dude I'm drunk just bother to fucking google

Okay. I guess I was just still holding on to what I read about fast breaking from other websites. I'll resume my normal meals after having a salad for breakfast. Thank you again

Find me an example of a person that has some mutation in which his body produces no LDL and he is still alive and kicking. Then I will totally agree with you that one is bad and the other is good. Until that point in time I will believe that the body actually produces both for a specific function. Look your fucking jack ass it has a fucking purpose you half witting jew nigger

>These particles are remodeled at the liver and transformed into LDL. The function of LDL is to deliver cholesterol to cells, where it is used in membranes, or for the synthesis of steroid hormones (blue pathway). Cells take up cholesterol by receptor-mediated endocytosis.

>the other sites
Just ignore most of what you read on the internet regarding fasting. If it's a spiritual site, a "fasting to heal your chi" or any fucking new age bullshit then just close the fucking window and move on.

They're pushing incredibly unhealthy practices. No one should be doing extended fasts longer than 2 weeks. The risks associated with longer fasts are not insignificant and borderline dangerous.

You can go from feeling a bit lethargic one minute and dying of total organ failure two hours later. It isn't a fucking joke and shouldn't be taken lightly.

two week fasts are for healing fucked up insulin and metabolic syndrome. If you're not dealing with that then you don't need 2 week fasts.

for weight loss stick to frequent shorter duration fasts with good nutrition and macros on your feeding cycles to help you get stronger. You should be lifting when your eating, and doing light cardio when you're fasting. Ancient man could run down animals fasted, you can go for a run around the neighborhood. Walking for an hour a day is a great way to get moving.

>shitty strawman construed from uneducated interpretation of a poster's comment

fuck off brainlet

>strawman

This is honestly admitting defeat you know I am right.

How about you engage in actual discourse instead of immediately shitting up the thread by resorting to name calling.

The premise that high ldl is bad comes from it's association with cardiovascular disease.

However in populations where they don't have access to lots of refined carbohydrates, they also have high LDL, but not the associated risk of CVD. In these populations the indiciduals who have high triglycerides are the ones with CVD.

It's an interesting data point that points to the fact that Cholesterol's role in coronary events and it's risk factors are not fully understood.

Thank you sir, you made my point

Fat is good for you faggot. The "fat makes you fat" hysteria of the 60-90s was just propaganda by the sugar conglomerates.

calling someone a shitter isn't name calling you shitter

seriously do some fucking research, LDL isn't the end of the world but it's relation to total serum triglycerides and HDL is in fact very important no matter what life style and diet you partake of

I am not saying fat is bad, I am saying complete carb depletion is bad

Well keto for life is retarded, it's only good for cuts... and even then most people do cyclical keto nowadays. That's like saying fasting is bad because you need food.

>frequent shorter duration fasts
What kind of fasting would you recommend?

I just tent to agree with Valter Longo, basically periodic long fasting twice every two months then going into something like a three meal a day high fat mediterranean style diet is ideal.

I don't believe KETO is useful at all really.
youtube.com/watch?v=xgo5-5f3Q-Q

is this a shareblue member being diverted to stop goys from being healthy and using entry-level /pol/ arguments to try and derail and deride /fast/ users?

In the fat fucks I help lose weight we do an initial assessment to detect metabolic dysfunction. Sometimes they find out they're diabetic and had no idea. Sometimes they're not classifiable diabetic but their insulin levels are high pointing at the start of insulin resistance (which is not part of the standard testing protocol for some fucking reason)

If symptoms of metabolic syndrome are present we'll start of with 2 week fasts followed by 2 week re-feeds.

Once the symptoms are significantly impacted we'll switch over to 16:8 with absolutely no processed carbs including grain. Within this domain they'll fast at liberty, usually 1-2 days a week.

No, I'm a 13 year fasting user telling you your argument is changing and I was offering to help you move that fucking goalpost dumbass.

I am a fat fuck but thankfully do not have any metabolic disfunctions (was tested recently when my father, 30 years older than I am, was diagnosed with prediabetes).

>we'll switch over to 16:8
Would it be alright to do one big meal if it's something I can maintain? I find it easier to cook like that in the time I have to make food. If not, I can work to adjust.

>no processed carbs including grain
Are vegetables like potatoes kosher

And then what would you recommend for caloric intake on feeding periods?

Because having thunderous shits isn't too normal. Its on the verge of diarrhoea

pls advise
how much protein to consume while on keto?
>read one group of posts saying 1g/lb is perfectly fine
>another group cites psmr and how too much protein can fuck you over and make you lose lean mass, suggests somewhere closer to 40g
>cant find any legit studies dealing with it

it increases your LDL and HDL and decreases triglycerides. these are all good things.

I've been fasting for 3 days and broke my fast with an avacado, some potatoes, and a can of beans. My stomach feels so uncomfortable and full. I used to be able to eat heaps in one sitting no problem.

I started doing both those things and I lost almost 15 lbs and my flat bench and back squats are skyrocketing.

Is it true you don't have to worry about excess skin when you're done fasting?

>quality country
>japan

Go back to pol you fucking pig, japan is a shithole and theyll all be fucking dead in 50 years if they dont change their racist policies, take your shitty politics elsewhere you cretin

How to fix HEADAAAACHES!!@@

Take more salt.

I binged the whole weekend, should I waterfast for a week?

Go back to plebbit you fucking retard and never come back

20-25% of your total calories

fuck off nigger

Do boogers break fast?

I don't understand why you guys don't post these videos in your sticky.

youtube.com/watch?v=NqwvcrA7oe8

youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8

Same, the video from "What I've learned" dedicated to prolonged fasting is not on OP. This one has to be first link ever.
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

Also, remove the reddit link as it has no proof the guy actually made that long by fasting.

Had my first massive cheat day today after doing 20:4 for weeks and it is glorious.
I ate potato gems, a bento box, sushi, ice cream, protein shakes, 2 quest bars, cookies and cream milky bar, a fucktonne of m&m cookies

I'm justifying this with the old idea of I'm shocking my body out of plateu. That shits true right?

It happens my dude, don't worry too much about it. We all fuck up sometimes, just try harder to fuck up less each time.

I actually planned this day in advance haha. I'm gonna do this like once a month

i dunno why but when i broke my week long fast the idea of a simple bread roll with butter made my mouth water. it's the simple things

I generally caution against potatoes just because of their high glycemic load. But they're not the end of the world kind of thing. They won't ruin anything.

As for the one large meal a day that just fine. Just results in a longer fasting window. As long as your stomach can handle it without discomfort, go for it.

As far as calories go, I tell my peeps to stop counting calories. All calories are is a prediction of: how much weight will you gain, lose, or stay the same. Its the most boring aspect of nutrition and it gets old. It causes you to worry and stresses you out.
>"omg Im 500 calories over today!"
Who the fuck cares, you're not eating at some point in the week.

You want to concern yourself with the quality of the food and eating to satiety. The hormone cascade from eating a Lindt Truffle is different than a light meal which is different from a filling meal. Having at least one filling meal a day is important for overall satiety because theres thresholds that must be reached for those hormones for the brain to go "yep...Im satisfied."

Then there's the math.
Lets assume your maintenance TDEE is 3,000 calories. Over a week that's 21,000 calories to maintain your weight. If you fast ONE DAY a week that is a ~3,000 calorie reduction for the week. Which averages out to 430calories per day. That's exactly what all the "health" experts say you should target for "safe and effective" weight loss.

If you decide to fast just two days a week thats 850 calories a day on average.

At this point its getting pretty hard to actually avoid weight loss. Even if you keep eating like shit, as long as you don't suddenly start eating an extra 850 calories a day on your feeding days you'll drop pounds like mad.

Furthermore, as you continue fasting your insulin sensitivity will increase. Your blood sugar will stabilize, and thus your insulin will drop. As this happens your cravings and hunger will be downregulated by leptin which is itself counterregulated by insulin

Be cautious on refeeding. Start with smaller more easily digestable meals. As time goes on you can experiment with different foods and serving sizes to see whats agreeable for you.

In the two dozen people I've helped lose weight with fasting lose skin isnt a problem. And there are four ex 400+lbers in that data group. They have a little loose skin, but nowhere near what you'd expect.

Also curious about lip skin. Lips so chapped and been drinking my gallon of saltwater plus extra regular water.

You don't need to do salt waater unless you're presenting symptoms like headaches. And even then that's a sign that you're defficient and need to correct your fucking diet before you go and start fasting.

having water with salt in it is a way to prevent headaches.
>that's a sign that you're deficient and need to correct your fucking diet
by supplementing your body with salt, a vital electrolyte

This is where doing your own research is good. Ted Naiman on twitter and his zerocarb carnivore friend dude have some good infographs they keep reposting.
But basically, on IF and fasting, your body becomes more adept at recycling senescent cell components, ergo, you are producing your own proteins and fats from old cells that were consumed during autophagy, because of this, some scientists such as Fung claim that you can probably get by and gain muscle with about 70-100g of protein a day.
Remember to eat your cartilage and gristle to negate the effects of methionine

day 20 of my water fast lads

never really feel hungry, down almost 39 pounds

how much of that is water weight

SW - 262lb
CW - 223lb (rounded down)

anywhere from 5-10 lbs of water and glycogen weight depending on your composition before starting.

What's your activity levels?

physically active job 4 nights a week, 10 hours each shift, walk about 12-13 miles.

Off days, I do 1.5-2 miles of cardio and do free weight arm/back exercises with a 5kg dumbell with a lot of reps until i basically cant do anymore (inconsistent based on energy levels)

First couple of the days, I lost about 7-8lb, at which point, i've had a consistent 1.5-2lb of weight loss per day, between days 11-15, it slowed down to about 1lb a day but its gone back up in the past 5 days to around 2lb a day.

I also take a multivitamin/electrolyte pill (sodium/chloride/potassium)/b complex/biotin and vitamin d

good for you man. Thats how you do it.

My only reservation is the duration. I only like to reccomend 2 week fasts. But if it's working out for you without any adverse effects keep it up.

Does liquor break a fast

yes

is there an essential list of supplements for water fasting?

On shorter days, probably not.

On longer fasts ( 7 days+)

Probably
-multivitamin every couple of days
- B complex
-Electrolyte pill/teaspoon of salt - most minor effects of water fasting arise from sodium/potassium deficit
-Biotin (multivitamins and biotin can also include flaxseed oil) to help avoid Telogen Effluvium
-Add others at your own leisure (e.g. magnesium, helps with bowel movements or vitamin d (not going out much due to lower energy)

Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium. Just those tree to avoid refeeding syndrome.

A bit of salt in your water and you’re good to go. If you’re apprehensive, take a tab of Centrum with mineral water.

You don't generally lose over 1 lb per day of fat (long term it apparently comes out to like 0.75lbs in most cases from what I've read) so like 25+ lbs is water weight. Depending how fat you are your body can hold a ridiculous amount of water.

Fuck me I'm only at 36 hours and I'm so tempted to eat. My mom brought home granola bars and I'm so tempted to have one even though I know I shouldn't. I keep thinking of it being only 180 calories and starting my fast again immediately after I eat it, even though I know realistically I'd fucking pig out and feel like shit about myself. It's crazy seeing my relationship with food manifest itself this way. I'm literally like a drug addict.

Friendly reminder that Drumpfshits are uneducated Inbreds that vote agaisnt their own economic interests

Can I drink green tea and take my multivitamin and ZMA during fasting hours?

Is there a difference between an eating window of 8am - 4PM and 12PM - 8PM?

Is bulking on IF okay?

>Can I drink green tea and take my multivitamin and ZMA during fasting hours?
yes
>Is there a difference between an eating window of 8am - 4PM and 12PM - 8PM?
One eating window starts at 8 am, and the other starts 4 hours later.
>Is bulking on IF okay?
I only eat IF and never had a problem putting on weight with it. The trouble can come if you are having a hard time getting all your calories in during that window. otherwise. you'll get the insulin and blood sugar benefits of fasting while putting on mass.

Thank you

Okay, so exactly at what point does muscle building start? I want to know when it makes sense to lift, before breaking the fast, just after, when exactly?

Leangains suggests breaking it asap after your workout, I'll do my workouts right before my one meal

what are some good keto meals? I don't need recipes, just general ideas.

I find myself making some meat, vegetables and then still have so many calories left that I just end up adding a buch of cheese or dinking a bunch of decaf coffee with heavy whipping cream

I do 23:1

I'm a lazy cook. So on my days to cook I do crock pot

ketosummit.com/ketogenic-crockpot-recipes

>ketosummit.com/ketogenic-crockpot-recipes
thanks ,man. some good ideas here

>now only eating 4 meals per week (after each workout then one day out of the weekend depending on workout schedule rollover)
>feel hunger on non-eating days but you know deep down this only makes you stronger and you are rebuilding yourself from the ground up (working on becoming an ex-fatty and undoing damage I did as a teen)
>Grinding yourself against the wheel doing intense cardio on your fasting days, hiking for miles in the wilderness
>you feel yourself becoming the strongest and best version of you
Who else here working on #MakintgIt

Hang tight buddy.

What's your routine? I'm wondering if I have to do extended fasts of more than 2 weeks to capitalize on autophagy to not get loose skin

Anyone have any good shit on meditation or breath and healing? I know you /fast/ faggots are the type to really go out there with some of this stuff and research it to death

Hope you're doing keto meals to make it easier.

Theres no secret to meditation and controlling your breath, try guided meditation videos on youtube.
Not related but interesting stuff about a breathing technique:
youtube.com/watch?v=OpTG02x6w5o

Autophagy starts anytime after ~10 hours of fasting.

Even just fasting for one day gives you plenty of autophagy gains. 2 week fasts are more than plenty.

It's a nebulous subject and depends on what you want to do
Given the amount of gene expression changes simple daily meditation causes, I'd heartily recommend it, but the limits of what it can actually do are hard to grasp. Some say that it's only for calming the mind and reducing myalgia, but others say that the right meditation with the right visualization can give amazing results and practically bring someone back from the brink. I've heard many anecdotes about this but tracking these down and validating them is hard; as it stands wim hof stuff like in are currently the most actionable but hopefully that will change as time goes on.
I hope to fully research all this and somehow incorporate it into /fast/ someday as my payback for this thread really helping me get my shit together.

Here's a video of rinpoche who allegedly fought off a lethal gangrene inection by meditating btw:
youtube.com/watch?v=7D7ObQcR_-I

If you nigs find anything pertinent to this please post it here so I can add to my files