5/3/1

Whats your view to do this this routine. Is it a good intermediate routine?

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/article/into-the-great-wide-open-the-texas-method-and-5-3-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes.

Wrong, the volume is too high

Modified Texas method with RPE.

It's a decent intermediate routine. Add some volume though as you progress towards an advanced lifter.

What is rpe?

>5/3/1
>the volume is too high

Rapes Per Erection

Thank you. I'm still getting accustomed to the terminology.

I do 5/3/1 for my deadlift and OHP into my personalized PHAT routine, once my bench starts stalling, I’ll do the same for it as well.

Sorry you fell for the meme

Rate of perceived exertion

startingstrength.com/article/into-the-great-wide-open-the-texas-method-and-5-3-1

its absolutely terrible

if you want mass do 'Jacked and tan 2.0'

Read the book
don't be a retard and do the low volume versions

the end of the book there are two high volume routines, a weekly one and a two weekly one. do them.

if you are not squatting and benching at least twice a week you are doing it wrong

love it but i'm starting to stall after a year and a half

Just out of curiosity, what are your current training maxes for bench and squats? The ones you use to calculate your routine?

I've just returned to lifting from an injury, i'm still recovering after almost a year without lifting. my current lifts are 115kg bench, 155kg squat and 195kg deadlift. before my injury (not lifting related) i had a 135kgx2 bench (couldn't quite get 140) a 160kg squat and a 220kg deadlift

Also, it really should be called 3/5/1+, you do week 3 then week 5 then week 1 on the more modern programs. and i'd recommend a high volume version. original 5/3/1 is garbage, modern beyond 5/3/1 with high volume is great.

this guy sounds like a cunt

It is if you actually read a book. Wendler tells specifically to add accesories and most retards just take the template and do powerlifting compounds, which is not enough. Also - most routines will work if you will work hard and actually do them as they were designed. The only ones I know, that do not work at all, are the ones without proper periodisation.

It's a good routine if you heavily modify it (eg joker sets as well as either a 5x5 FSL or the boring but big template) and do enough accessory work. But at that point I think that there are better routines out there and I'm not sure that I would really call what you're doing 5/3/1.

Alternate between volume and intensity, fuck the 5/3/1

so what would u recommend

It's shit unless you are an old, broken, drug abusing powerlifter who wants to do something to not suck.

>5/3/1
>high volume

what in the fuck

my work out yesterday was a light day, my projected 1rm is 95kg and i've never actually benched more than 90kg for a single

bench
5x35
5x45
3x52.5
5x57.5
5x65
5x75
1x82.5
5x57.5
5x57.5
5x57.5

then i did the same level of volume and intensity for my OHP, then 3x8 chin ups with 10kg added, down on my old chin up numbers because this workout is so much volume

I have the 5/3/1 squat day today

why is it so light? Just do a beginner routine like 5x5 or something

The volume is as high as you want to make it...

Different guy, but fundamentally you've got three competing elements when it comes to lifting. Frequency, intensity, volume. If you want to push up one of them something else has to come down.

So if you're looking at something like the 5/3/1 frequency deal, where the goal is mostly size (which is best gained via high volume) and technique (which is best gained via a lot of exposure to the movement, particularly the setup) then intensity has to come down to compensate. You just can't handle trying to go balls-out on all three elements.

that's the light day, and i've just started this new program. my heavy 3x day was
5x35
5x45
5x55
3x60
3x70
3x77.5
1x85
5x60
5x60
5x60

these numbers are low becasue it's a new program to me, a 6 day 5/3/1 cycle where the number these are based on goes up by 2.5kg a week for upper and 5kg a week for lower. I'm going to use microplates next week as well, becasue you are supposed to.

but next week i go for a 92kg single as a "joker single", and I've never actually done my 95kg projected max, so that will be a 2kg pr.

the weights are light but the volume is high, and i might increase the volume or average intensity from doing the last three sets for either more reps, more sets or a higher weight.

when I stall hard, i go on to a monthly cycle where you increase weights every 2 weeks

Somebody said hilariously on here how 5/3/1 was Accessories: The Program and was a rehash of an old football strength program (but with less volume). Wish I would have screen shotted that.

That said I love that it's so custumizeable and you can run it indefinitely and change it up and make it more hypertrophy/power or volume focused. It's not even really a program so much as a protocol

It is literally a scaled down copy of the football program Wendler was put in when he was younger, he even said this in one of his EliteFTS talks.

5/3/1 is a great program for then physically challenged and elderly.

>the end of the book there are two high volume routines, a weekly one and a two weekly one. do them.
Could you be a little more specific? There are so many routine variations in the book. And so many books.

Never mind I think I found it, the Frequency Projects, right?

It's a base template for the top set of your lifts. Add some volume and possibly frequency and you're good. I've run it in the past, I'll probably do it again in the future.

Don't think of it as a max strength kind of program, it's about getting in quality reps and building some muscle more than it is about driving your 1RM as hard as possible. I would say you should be hitting at least a set of 3-4 on 1+ day for example.

If anything the volume is too low considered to other programs...

There are also probably forty other templates he's published that are higher in volume and frequency than the base program, you could train full body three or four times a week and still be doing 5/3/1

My squat is horribly weak.
145 OHP
235 BP
255 SQ
395 DL

I'm trying to SS to 315 but it's not happening. 230 for 3 sets of 5 is not happening. I'm going to try the 5/3/1 thing but instead of one workout per week, squat every other day using the 531 progression, calculations, blah blah.

Thoughts?

I had my beat results on 5/3/1 when I was doing the full body version with squats every session

the only thing that is high here is your number of cromosomes

Not a bad idea, do backoff work though (FSL for three or four sets).

it's an ok intermediate to advanced program that for some reason became the new flavour of the month program recommendation for novices

Have you gone through every phase of SS? Have you been doing light sets of squats on Wednesdays to give your legs a rest?