Lifting for a real purpose

How many Veeky Forumsitizens here actually lift along with doing martial arts or some type of combat practice?
The whole lifting foremost to look good for women trend is the most ironic thing and opposes masculinity. It should be lifting mainly for health first and also to be fit for self defense/survival. Also, to lift to to be fit to better protect your family/girl/wife/kids with fighting. (Of course, guns trump close quarters combat, but you won't always have one when the time comes to defend yourself)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yTO6fAJf1GM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

I want to learn martial arts but don't have the time right now as a college student. I'm graduating this year though, and once I'm out I want to learn BJJ or Muay Thai, maybe even both actually.

bumping since this sounds like a real man's thread

I lift for Hitler and the rise of the fourth Reich.

youtube.com/watch?v=yTO6fAJf1GM

>gymfags

karatefag here, ive been doing bodyweights, calisthenics and goju-ryu karate for about 6 years now

you dont have to go to the gym

i honestly don't support the notion of martial arts for self defense. however, I'd recommend that everyone pick one up and put serious time into it, because martial artist is a GOAT mindset.
>contact sparring builds grit and endurance
>read body language like a pro
>constant beginners mindset
>expand your social circle
>confidence because you know you can wreck a motherfucker
inb4 mma shitters
>you have to do muay tai then bjj and if you do anything else you'll get killed in a real fight
fuck you, you tapout hicks. being a martial artist is about more than being the best at eating a concussion.

Krav Maga is better than bjj and all that bs

Greco-Roman wrestling fag, here.
Learned Tai Kwan Do on the side (it's basically the same shit) so my ground fame stronk. My punch a shit, though.

I'm much better at leg work, so I think I'm going to find a good Muy Thai place to train with, and start with my local mma league.

Who /rasslin'/ here?

krav maga is the crossfit of martial arts

I've been hitting the heavy bag in-between lifting to keep my fists useful. Trying to get a buddy of mine to spar with me so I can dodge (eat) some punches.

Had a dude try to pick a fight with me on the way to the gym today so really the use of martial arts affirms itself easily. I will keep boxing

Social leverage > physical leverage

We aren't living in caves anymore.

what amuses me about these threads is the mental gymnastics people do to try mystify that their motivation for learning martials arts is as simple as looking cool and feeling badass. the practicality of martial arts in a real self defense situation is almost 0. the only effective defense is not get into trouble fu followed by dont walk at night in chicago no jutsu. not even gun chi will save you if the assailant is also armed

cringe

/bjj/ fag here.

The compound movements (squats/deads/ohp) developed my posterior chain which made a huge difference in my game. My base and structure went through the roof.

>practicality of martial arts in a real self defense situation is almost 0

Sure thing, kid.

I did kyokushin karate for 8 years and fought in some national tournaments. After I quit i picked up weightlifting for general fitness. Now looking to start a no gi style of jiujitsu.

Kyokushin karatefag here, onetime at a camp I met a goju-ryu blackbelt, he was wearing a whitebelt because he didnt want to be rude and at the time I had forgotton to bring my belt to the class so we both appeared novices to eachother. Got to some kumite and basically both of us realised the other was not a novice and it was a very hard match. Good fun tho we both had a laugh.

most ufc and boxing heavyweights more or less look like this besides the roiders. some muscle and fat, not big arms since it slows punch speed.

i know how to box and did wrestle in high school
that is the extent of my combat knowledge and will probably be all i need for fighting in the case of self defense
>i lift to discover what the human limits are and will one day pass them with the help of science one i reach the natty limit

Are you really this naive?

>besides the roiders
user....
kid..
they are all, every single one of them, on gear and stimulants

I dont see why not, even if you arent using fancy spin kicks it'll teach you not to flinch from confrontation and make you more relaxed in high stress situations. Plus, the more you spar, the asier it is to put what you know into practice. But you shouldnt be getting into fights outside the ring anyway

>real purpose
>mma
Lmao

cain's arms are easily 17 inches

loads of hard, fast punchers have arms that are bigger and more muscular, it doesn't slow shit, you're either slow or you're not

wrists, shoulders and core for bjj.

Strong wrists for pretty much any form of self defense. Doing a bunch of stuff with kettle balls helps with grip and wrist strength. Pullups chinups work well too.

Core strength is also super important, keep your core strong and fast.

Jump height, balance and speed for sprints also important. Cardio isn't so important here unless you're running from something you can't fight or shoot. Keep focused on bursts of speed and tackles for taking on an opponent.

Most fights are over in under a minute, learn to throw a punch without projecting and how to wrestle if they get a hold of you.

Speaking of martial arts, is TKD useless? It's the only martial arts establishment in town. I just want an outlet...

>>Lifting for martial arts

lmao

If you have to do TKD, make sure the school is at least run by a korean master or grandmaster. Gyms operated by some out of shape white guy will be the most mcdojo thing ever. Also see if they compete or have any decent competitors there.

Modern TKD is a half finished art because of the direction of focusing on the sport, but older TKD was a harder form of karate with emphasis on kicks. I'd supplement it boxing/ mau thai on the side just to learn some proper punching/clenching

i train 6x a Week Muay Thai and BJJ/MMA. lifting alone would be pretty boring. + i love fighting, i have my first mma fight next year!

See if your college offers any martial arts courses, I got started in BJJ through my university's $70/ semester BJJ course. Usually they are run by a local club and charge so little because they want you to join their club once you learn the basics.

I do work that involves a lot of wheelbarrowing and digging, lifting helps a lot.