Veeky Forums careers

Anyone here have any Veeky Forums careers (physical therapist, strength coach, personal trainer, etc) or working towards that path?
Im kind of intrested in going into physica therapy, would like to here your experiences/words of wisdom.

hear*

woops

whoops*

I'm trying to match PM&R in four years. Fellowship in pain management is the goal but for now I've just gotta match.

Bump

Jordan Weichers

Bump

I'm 4 weeks into an ace personal trainer certification. It's dense as fuck and so far has covered the whole endocrine, cardiovascular, respiratory, skeletal, and muscular system and has started into a lot of how to isolate certain muscle groups, identify and fix chronic bad postire, minimize antagonistic muscle resistance and potential injury due to bad distribution of weight. That's about all I can tell you about it thus far. Next chapter is applied kinesiology.

currently getting my prereqs for physical therapy. gonna major in kinesiolgy

Oh, also, there's a lot of things a personal trainer CAN'T do, and lots of legal ins and outs to the practice.

I was accepted into three different DPT programs, and every PT I shadowed/worked with told me not to do it. They said you're way overworked, you're basically either choosing between a shitty salary and actually helping your patients or a decent salary and turning patients over every 20 minutes, and seeing as most schools that aren't in state programs will cost you 120k just to earn 60k out of school

But if you don't care about money and you want to help people, go for it. Still regret turning it down a bit since PTs are some of the nicest people I've ever met and my favorite place to work

I'd love to hear if anyone here 'works' at puregym UK. I spoke to one of the cleaners during night shift and my understanding is after you pay £1400 for their 2 week course you then get exclusive rights to be a personal trainer in their gym, but you have to teach a set amount of free circuit/spin/kettlebell classes during the day or something.

How wrong do I have this... Sounded on it's way to being MLM tier. Basically your job is to fight to bring new members into the gym and convince them to pay you to train them long term on top of getting them to pay a membership. Or do they get minimum wage + this.

What are you doing now?

how much does training cost?
How much will you be making?
If you are training someone and they fuck your shit up won't they sue and ruin your life?
Also how do you tell if you are going to hard with a fatty, vs not working them hard enough?

I'm working at a hotel which I don't recommend either.
Waiting until next fall when I start a masters in higher ed administration, which I'm not super stoked about but I'll get my tuition waived and get a stipend on top for working part time for the uni during it

I'm thinking of commissioning in the military or being a teacher. I'm not sure what to do.

I work in healthcare and I’m pursuing a DPT. Ideally want to split clinic work and teaching.

Right now a lot of my work revolves around primary care and I hear ya, a lot of issues when it comes to churning patients vs. taking the time you want. It’s not hopeless though, there’s a balance.

The program, including the study materials, the exam, a retest voucher, and some extended education credits toward an eventual re-certification, costed about $700. It'll cost another hundred for CPR anf AED certification here soon. I have another 5 months to decide i'm ready to take the exam and at this rate it won't take near that long. How much you can make varies. Sometimes individual clients pay $150 an hour but if I have my way i'll be making $20 an hour at a kickboxing gym somewhere and not have all the responsibility of liability paperwork and medical referrals on my head. Which should answer your next question. There are a lot of situations in which I'm supposed to tell a client i'm out of my depth and they should see a doctor/dietician/physical therapist/whatever. And as far as pushing fatties too hard, any exercise is progress. If a sustained walk is all I can get out of them without pain or hyperventillation, that's what I go with.

I'm a soldier. We do PT every morning and our job performance is based a lot on our PT score.

The PTs I shadowed all told me if they could re-do it they'll all pick being a PA, and my choice came down to not wanting to shell out all that money while I'm still paying off my undergrad loans just to make 65k out of school. I don't really care for money, but when my cheapest DPT option was 55k over three years in loans, I realized I could get a masters paid for and make the same amount with zero debt.
But good on you for going after it. In a perfect world a DPT would be my dream program but it wasn't realistic with where I'm at right now

My dad was a physical trainer, professional natural body builder, and owned a meathead gym for 25 years.

I'm now a 25 year old skinny fat nerd that weighs 177 and 5 10 height and all of my friends are beta nerds. As im typing this I just got done playing diablo 2 and mst3k is on.

I have completely failed. I am sick of this lifestyle. a few friends from highschool i no longer talk to are fucking jacked.

When you're saying PT are you meaning Personal Trainer, or Physical therapist?
When you say PA do you mean Physician's assistant?
What masters? Did you take the GMAT? How zero debt? What is your masters program called? What means DPT?
I really want a career change but I worry I'm too old for that.

PA pays well but it’s the same short stock of career options. Primary care models actually aren’t heading in a good direction for mid-levels. That doesn’t mean hospital or specialty models aren’t decent tho. Or even that that particular primary care model will be widespread.

I'm a nursing major right now but I think I might apply for a physical therapist assistant program after a year or so. If I make it then I come out making about as much as a nurse, and if I don't get in them I just go straight into nursing.

Bump

this girl is obese

Does firefighter count? We have gyms in the stations and we have to work out a mandatory amount of hours each shift. Pretty sweet

What are some good, internationally recognized Personal Trainer options/courses/schools if I want to get into that? And does anyone have any experience/knowledge about sport-specific strength training?

Ncca accreditation is what you're looking for. There are many options but ACE is the best I know of.

Physical therapist. You don't need GMAT for either PT or PA, PT requires GRE not sure about PA, but PT is getting very competitive unless you want to go to a private school that's 40k a year. DPT is the program for PT it's a doctorate in PT and takes 2.5 or 3 years depending on program.
My masters is a graduate assistantship in residence life, where I work as a hall director part time while studying higher ed admin or counseling part time. Same deal as a teaching assistant or research assistant where they waive tuition and pay you a stipend

shit man, source? this just got me pumped for my workout session
>tfw maybe the high test meme isn't a lie

Bump

are you legitimately retarded