Why doesn't everyone do this?

Why doesn't everyone do this?

He's right to a certain degree, most lifters up to the advanced stage don't need chest isolation beyond bench, incline bench and upright dips to hit the triceps and lower chest as a secondary target

hes very right. I regret wasting 5 years of lifting focusing on hypertrophy training strictly. I think hypertrophy training is important but it should be periodized just like strength training. I think the hypertrophy gains you can get from doing high volume powerlifting programs is very underrated, I just noticed my physique looks completely different when transitioning from a more bodybuilding type training approach to a powerlifting centered program. Its hard to explain and I cant really quantify it but IME powerlifting has given me most size gains and overall just get more out of training that way

> just bench and deadlift
Nigga what?
Just do a beginner program for a decent build then switch to PPL 2 times a week

It's Pavel's Power to the People, Russian bear variation, basically.

It's acceptable.

Weight is just a number, the kids in his audience are gonna end up pushing for these fucking bananas numbers and snaping their shit

He's right. This triggers the Scott Herman.
I'm in a similar boat. Hypertrophy training is great when you're able to lift decent weight, because it's all about volume and volume = weight x reps. Doing bodybuilding programs when you can't bench more than 135 is a mistake and a waste of time, something I learned the hard way same as you.

SS is WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
read the fucking BOOOOOOOOOOOOk

Strength training for athletes isn't the same as strength training for fresh beginners.

So... If i want a better bench what you're saying is just do bench before all else, every day you work out, and design your routine around that one exercise?

It sounds like it makes sense.

And also. He is definitely strong guy, but he isn't successive powerlifting/weightlifting/strongman competitor or coach of successive strength athletes. Why do you listen to him?

To be fair, neither are most of the people Veeky Forums listens to.

B U G E Z
U
G
E
Z

>I regret wasting years focusing on strength; when I switched to hypertrophy I saw huge gains
and then next thread
>I regret wasting years focusing on hypertrophy training; when I switched to strength I saw huge gains

first wasn't pushing hard enough/not eating enough, and he think he built muscle just cause he cut down.

second is woke.

It's almost like periodization is a thing that works.

cus this is the most dyel board on the internet.

probably because most hypertrophy programs are just shopping lists of exercises and don't have any periodization at all, whereas the good powerlifting programs have high volume compound lifts, periodization, fatigue management, real progression, and include accessory work on top of that

How do you periodize isolation movements?

So fucking underrated. Should go 5 years back in time and bat myself for being a moron.

225 bench is bananas? 495 deadlift is more impressive, but still absolutely nothing special, certainly not bananas. I see both performed multiples times a week by all kinds of people

maybe you should push for better numbers

anything below 225 bench is turbo dyel.

This is absolutely irrelevant for fresh beginner

I agree. It's useless to do hypertrophy specific training unless you can do it with decent amount of weight.

On the other hand, if your aim is to get as big as possible, it's useless to do strength training if you already are "strong enough". Getting your bench from 100kg to 200kg is probably going to help you build some pecs, but getting your bench from 200kg to 300kg not so much.

But yeah, every beginner should aim for strength gains. Monitoring the weight you're able to move and trying to increase it also ensures that you make some kind of progress. If you just aim for the "burn" and isolation it's harder to guarantee you're making any progress.

This is such bullshit

Does no one else get sick of people on Veeky Forums trying to turn people in pseudo powerlifters?

>200kg binch
Topkek most people don't have the autism to even reach that,.

Not if you want to be a power lifter

SS is pretty terrible as an introduction to powerlifting. There's a reason beginners routines for that don't look anything like what Rip teaches.

because deadlift is LITERALLY the most over rated mass builder of all the lifts by a fucking mile

i could show you 40 guys in my gym who lift 4 plate deadlift with shit to good form and more than half of them are dyels, you know whos big ? the guys who do bench, and ohp, and squats, and rows, and dips, and flys, and curls, and skull crushers, hanging leg raises, machine rows, and side lat raises etc. this fucking meme of "HURR DURR JUST DO DEADLIFT GUYS ITS THE KING" is the biggest pile of shit ever

>tfw dropped deadlifts competely for rack pulls, no injuries for 2 years and bigger than ever and 90% of Veeky Forums

feels fucking great not being a sheep who fell for the deadlift for mass meme

so is 1/2/3/4 decent enough to switch to hypertrophy style training?

t.noob going for a strength base

>rack pulls
above or below the knee?

below the knee

I don't know about upper body but I can say for sure doing squats is by far the best lift for muscular development in the lower body.

Dropping out all lower body lifts and just purely focusing on Squats, perfecting them, doing them with top quality form, and running a squat specific program, I can say this style of training 100% does put a shit load of muscle on your lower body.

I haven't really done anything like this yet for upper-body, not sure if it would work there as well as it does with squats & lower body.

body pics

this

this is false. the deceptive thing about DL is some people have very good leverages for it, while others don't. though 4pl8 isn't really good for DL, even if it was, what will get you big is IMPROVING your DL, not hitting arbitrary goal numbers.

Post body

if youre under 24 cant you just pick shit up and pull it down until you feel a burn and get gains overnight?

Deadlifts are only good for glutes, hamstrings and erectors

Literally meme muscles

>people who roid are big
>people who dont are small

>4pl8 deadlift is soemthing impressive

newsflash, its not you can get it after 6 months of lifting if your leverages arent shit or you arent 135 lbs twink.

t. 4pl8 for reps and look like dyel, but big for normie standards and natty training for 1 year

I know this is late but whatever
Eric has said a few times that one of the inspirations for 'Bulgarian Light' / 'Wisconsin Method' was Pavel writing about greasing the groove erryday

Oh no its another 1234 in 1 year episode

>I'm too small and weak to do it so nobody else can

>I agree. It's useless to do hypertrophy specific training unless you can do it with decent amount of weight.
What are your lifts?

Man, this guy really doesn't know anything, somehow. Its been scientifically proven that high volume is more effective for muscle mass gains. Doing just bench press will yield less chest muscle gains than doing bench and chest flies and like one more chest exercise per every time you work your pecs.
He's such a clueless fucking retard, and I will be happy when he finally snaps his spine, which is inevitable due to his poor form and ego lifting.

What do you think about romanian deadlifts?

is this bait or some shit? do you actually believe that 1/2/3/4 can't be realistically achieved in a year?

I've been lifting in my ghetto ass homegym for six months. I only have a couple fucking kettlebells and a pull up bar. I went to a commercial gym recently (brother joined, I got a free visit so why not) and tested my maxes for fun. I'm at 1/2/2/3.
That's without even touching a barbell. If you can't get 1/2/3/4 in a year something is clearly wrong. You are either inconsistent, undisciplined or a straight up GDE my man.

for 60-70 kg guy with no sports background - no

how come I know you're over 20% bf?

for singles?
im 6'1, with ape arms
ohp was first then squat then dl and bench was by far hardest for me

1/3/4 was reached after 7months

i even injured myself once along the way

>no sports background
oh ok, that I agree with

good for hamstrings, not much else

glutes maybe?

A guy at that weight with no sports background and no disciplined training and diet, sure. A casual lifter at any weight and any background will not be able to get those numbers, but someone who is serious about it will more than likely be able to.

>lifts for 19years
>has had 1 shoulder injury due to meme lift that is bench press
>lifts more than entire fit combined weekly
>hurr he doesnt know shit

Then do reg parks routine
Or gray skull

I'm not, I was about 15% at 6'2" 195 when I achieved those lifts. I just try harder than you.

and you have your expert opinion enjoy

>lifts more than entire fit combined weekly
Since this is anonimous forum for anime lovers is it something impressive? Compared to real strength athletes his lifts are joke.

>7pl8 deadlift and 6pl8 squat is a joke these days

ok mr. Alex

Compared to real strength athletes his are right up there with elite powerlifters. Just from his YouTube videos he'd finish top 10 in the 105s for USAPL raw nationals just two weeks ago and that's without peaking of any sort.

ok, I said stupid thing, always thought that he is doing only 6xx jefferson deadlifts

I noticed the biggest difference doing 5x5 or 5x3 with 3x8 on isolations

>powerlifter
>cleans in the program

he did 675 dl sumo, with hitching, but he locked out.
no clean squat footage but he did lunge with like 550lbs or some stupid shit

t. marcus riptoad

He doesn't know shit when it comes a lot of things. Yeah he's strong but his understanding of lifting is full of holes. As we just saw, he understands nothing about what kind of training is optimal for hypertrophy. He seems to only understand strength training, and falsely beliefs that training for strength is what will get you size better than anything else.
This is scientifically proven false. Training for strength gives poor muscle mass gains for natties.

Because not everyone has THE MINDSET

except there's tons of people in my gym that look great and are weak as fuck while i can bench 225 for reps at 75kg yet still have mediocre pecs

Yes, because contrary to this moron Bugenhagen's broscience, in reality strength training produces less muscle mass than hypertrophy training, which produces less strength.

>tfw 1/2/2.75/4 in under one year with none of these things

I just hope I can put the last 10kg on my squat in the 2 months I have left, which I guess I could do pretty easily by just switching to lowbar and squatting to parallel instead of atg, but I don't want to

this is a wild opinion. my legs and core have BLOWN up since I started really trying to increase my deadlift. sure you see some people who look like skellies but can deadlift big (possibly because of leverages) but adaptation is highly individual, some people lifting same weight as someone will have much more mass.

but, disregarding that, do you not just find deadlifts fucking exhilarating? near max effort deads followed by a cold shower will give you a cocaine-esque high for the next 5 hours

>Training for strength gives poor muscle mass gains for natties.
Who do you think will build more muscle, the guy doing TUT bench for 12 reps with 60kg, or the guy doing the same thing but with 120kg?

if by autism you mean raw genetic potential, sure

200kg bench is exceptionally fucking rare

>getting your bench from 200kg to 300kg

the world record is only about 35kg higher than that, nothing could make it more evident that you just started lifting this year than throwing around numbers like 200kg and 300kg bench press like it's something that is achievable for most human beings walking the fucking planet

I can show you 40 guys in my gym who squat 3pl8 with shit to good form and look DYEL

it has nothing to do with the lift and everything to do with leverages, some people need fuck all mass to deadlift 500 (me, I pulled 485 beltless as a 17 year old twink) due to favorable leverages and some people will need serious hamstring and glute mass to pull anything notable because of unfavorable leverages

that's why the whole "Veeky Forums what will i look like at 1/2/3/4" thing is fucking retarded, two people can require a staggeringly different amount of muscle mass to lift the same thing

>the same thing but with 120kg
Are you retard? Why are you doing this comparison? Why not 40 kg x10 bench vs 150 kg x10 bench?

this is a shitty argument on so many levels

1. you can progressively overload in rep ranges other than 5
2. the discrepancy will not be anywhere near this big, pretending that someone focused on hypertrophy will be benching half of what someone focused on strength is assuming same genetics and same time training is fucking asinine and I doubt you even lift you theorycrafting geek

A 2 plate bench without ever benching is fucking nigh impossible. You must be like 6’8” and 300 lbs.

it's really fucking possible, some people just have incredible genetics for strength + athletic background

Ed Coan squatted 500 in a few months as a teenager, Veeky Forums's very own frogdoeslifting squats 600 as a 18yo, greg nuckols benched 275 and deadlifted 425 at 14 his first time using an olympic bar, doug young supposedly benched 300 his first time in the gym

by 2 plate I'm talking 100kg
not even memeing. In the 6 months I did a shit ton of banded push ups and kettlebell presses. I weigh 80kg though and (while I didn't record it) I'm sure my form was prolly dogshit.

I'm not really starting from nothing though. I've fortunately done sports my entire life and I've never really been too far out of shape.

I would tend to agree with you but background plays a huge role in it. I didn't start lifting until I was 26, but I grew up on a farm and had done manual labor, lifting and carrying heavy shit all my life so I was able to do it, but someone who goes from couch to gym is probably not going to be able to do it.

>mfw this fucking thread

why is frog losing hope?

Do you have any idea how heavy 1kg actually is? 200kg is over 440lbs

he doesn't have an idea of what realistic progress is because he's been lifting for 6 months

to a clueless novice 200kg bench is just a year of 5lb/session gains away, they have no concept of what an achievement that is and no concept of it probably being firmly outside the genetic limits of most people

Does he mean 225 bench 5*5 or as 1rm?

in the video he's talking about highschool lifters.

Are you stupid? Both are hypertrophy training. I rest my case, I am right.

That's not true at all. I see skinnyfat looking 40 year old men at my gym doing 2plate bench for reps. Guys who look like they're at the gym for the first time.

>He's right.
>Two of the three exercises you mention he did not.

And for the record you are more right than him. For most people bench and dips with good form will work the chest pretty well. Deadlift might be good for overall strength but it does fuck all for chest.

Everyone should do dips.

>what is periodization?
lmao at you retard

What a weakfag! I benched 4 plates first time in gym as 100 lbs kid.

he has worked as strength and cond coach for year you moron

So currently I'm trying to maxout my dumbbells in my homegym for reps, since I can't go over 36kg and my goal is 10x4 with them. In 3-6 months I will move and will go to a gym. Should I try maxing out on bench errydary followed by maxing out on diddlys (after I learn proper form ofc.) just to check out if it works or will the risk of injury be too high?

>mfw they're quarter-repping 225 and think they're actually strong

I would post my face here but don't want to be a fag. I think i'm like barely average even though most people have told me i'm really good looking/hansome, but i just don't see it

>ledit
plz

When I say 2 plates I do mean 225lbs not 135lbs.

Any skinny faggot or fat retard (see Rippetoe) can work as coach. Show me his athletes.

>coached athletes
>was elite athlete himself
>doesnt know shit
ok buddy

>>coached athletes
Any name?

me

Maxing everyday is unnecessary. There are better ways of achieving what that would achieve with better results e.g. wave loading, 95% doubles/triples, cluster sets, etc. No need to risk a disk maxing all the time.

He's completely right, training style is basically a complete meme and down to individual preference. The final "result" is down to a) genetics and b) eating enough.