Would it be correct to assume that many Greek and Roman philosophers were monotheists...

Would it be correct to assume that many Greek and Roman philosophers were monotheists? Ideas like a supremely powerful Zeus as logos of the universe strike me as pretty monotheistic.

Attached: Playdoh.jpg (500x750, 58K)

bump

To the contrary, many of them seem to be atheistic.

Attached: e818431bd69855382b530f8ab42c0501.jpg (1595x895, 198K)

Doesn't monotheism imply a personal God? Plato believed in the world soul and shit, so he was more of a Panentheist. It's interesting how similar Greek and Indian thought were

No? Zeus is the senior rank in among a whole bunch of gods.

Note how he says "God" and not "The Gods".

In classical myth, yes. By the time of Plato this idea of an actual Olympic Pantheon had started to die among intellectuals. In its place you start hearing a lot more about a supreme creator and divine, perfect intelligence, often called Zeus for lack of a better name.

> He says "God" and not "The Gods".
Because this is late attribution, in the original text he discussed believe in gods, not believe in god.

Nah, they were polytheistic monists, like Hindu.

Greeks, no. Romans, not unless they were Christian.

No.

There are many atheistic quotes from Greek philosophers from Aristotle to Epicurus. I am sure they were at least here and there.

Not exactly, but we can 100% tell they definetely didn't believe in the gods the same way the peasants did.

>Precisely this is godliness: that there are gods, but no God

they talk about god alot in my books so i guess they was basiclly pre christians

What's Nietzsche have to do with this?

There's been a noted trend towards Monotheism in Greek thought. Epictetus goes on about Zeus this, Zeus that, and barely mentions the other Gods. So this can explain why they were so relatively quick to embrace Christianity, as it wasn't that huge a difference. However, tehy weren't actually monotheists for the most part.

Stoics thought that the Gods were real, but manifestations of the Logos.

>Note how he says "God"
You realise they didn't speak or write in English, right?

Polytheists often tend to view all gods as part of a greater whole which we could refer to as "God" if we wanted.

god i fucking hate Christian subhumans so much. First of all Hellenes used God/Gods interchangeably. Anyone who has read ancient sources will know that.
"Hated by God and by Euripides, by God!" - from Aristophanes Lysistrata
"Oh, Athena, thrice-born!" "By the gods!"some lines later.

Socrates frequently mentions our gods and constantly praises them. Aphrodite, the sun, Zeus and Apollo for instance.
Aristotle talked about the unmoved movers( gods) one of whom was the highest Zeus. Zeus is the organizer of the universe and the highest God.
The fact that you think that any time a Greek mentions God and you immediately think of your jewish diety Yahweh is telling of your arrogance. Ordinary Greeks saw Jews as inferior with a savage religion. What do you think more enlightent Greeks would have to say?

he never said that, someone attributed this to him. a bishop gave this quote

Epicureans recommended Sun and Moon worship.

Aristotle and Epicurus werent Atheists. Atheists in the Ancient Greek world meant people who are disrespectful.

I'm researching this now. All philosophers who lived in different times, had the same notion of Gods. As divine beeings with no body, who were good. Greeks from the Classical Age saw the Gods like this but maybe in prior times they literally believed in the myths. I doubt this assertion because many people take Hesiods Theogony as the Greek equivalent of the Bible without knowing that many Greeks wrote their own Theogony.
The word myth is very much tied to the word mthos. Meanwhile History did not classify the events of the myths

>So this can explain why they were so relatively quick to embrace Christianity
absolutely false. Greeks were genocided and forced into believing things. Byzantine writes complained that many "Orthodox" customs had Hellenic roots.

/thread

This
/thread