Is consciousness a category or a spectrum?

Is consciousness a category or a spectrum?

Attached: 1502764169250.jpg (980x552, 237K)

Depends how you mean it. Some animals clearly do have a sort of consciousness. What makes humans special, according to us, is a concept of our own existential temporariness. We know we will one day die, we can consider the past and future in an hypothetical way.

Can animals? We can't ask them. But elephants for example seem to recognize dead brethren and show mourning. Some primates and sea mannals too, maybe.

Spectrum. There are human with low and high sentience.

How low conscious human even look like? Downies?

consciousness doesn't exist.

t. Koishi

Dogs mourn as well, or at least my step dad's old beagle did when the cat died. She was mopey for a good couple weeks.

Spectrum.

Obviously the deeper into sleep you are the less conscious you become.

Certain bits and pieces of what is referred to consciousness in common parlay are distributed unevenly through the animal kingdom. Things like empathy, theory of mind, proprioception, etc.

I recommend reading António Damásio on this.

No, just people without self-awareness, not self-conscious, no shame,... usually goes hand in hand with primitive phenotypes, low-class people with bad or overly permissive upbringing, and is accompanied with low inhibition,...

Consciousness is pure, undefiled, eternal.

It is our habitual clinging and ignorance that keeps up living in sleep-consciousness.

Shed your karma and you will experience non-abiding illumination, free from any and all taints.

More like severely retarded vegetables. Even Downies are still fully conscious.

Is that really mourning though? When we had 4 cats as a kid, when an older one died, the others would wail at nights, and definitely seemed ‘different’.

Get a load of these woowoo crystal swinging faggots...

I don't know if I agree with him but children would be an obvious example. Such as young babies failing mirror tests to self recognize.

Lmaoing at you boyo, gtfo subhuman.

me too thanks.

Haha, thanks for the reminder

spectrums are categorical
NEXT

Spectrum. Ever been shit-faced drunk?

It's an n-dimensional network of symbols. Read Sergio Salvatore.

Consciousness is our reality. Either you are or you aren't

This thread is definitely full of anons on a spectrum.

Attached: 64079407_p0.jpg (800x800, 60K)

I think therefore I am

category, limited only to humans. animals share elements of consciousness, but not the full deal. within humanity there are variations of it, but the idea of consciousness is categorical.

>ITT: consciousness is whatever I want it to be

consciousness ends at logic. you can't go farther than that. logic is the limit to consciousness. everything beneath that is thinking but it is beneath maximum potential. logical reasoning is the brain working at the edges or reality, like a blind man feeling the shape of a room, logic is both the limits to our universe and our guide.

even animals reason, hunting requires reasoning, playing chase and having your doggo switch directions is demonstrating understanding of biconditionality which is a foundation of logic.

like the hippy said, consciousness is pure. it is your ability to reason, the input is your senses, output is your arguments, they can be good or bad based on your ability to use logic. good observation and good logic leads to high sentience, something philosophers have called wisdom.