Antidepressants

SSRIs... do they work?

I have taken them before but I remember becoming apathetic and robot-like. It terrified me and i stopped taking them almost immediately - which resulted in the dreaded brain zaps.

Recently I stopped self medicating with beer and weed and now I feel naked like I’m facing this beast in the face with no weapons to fight.

personally people I know on SSRIs turn into zombies in a way, but what do I know

Honestly bro you need to just go to an Orthodox Christian Church and sit in on some sermons, that always helps me out when Im feeling down. Theres just something beautiful about it

Also wait till the withdrawal period from the weed and alcohol wears off, like when you stop craving it. youll feel a lot better. also supplement D3 if you dont get a lot of sun

Lol get a life loser and a gf roflmaobraaaping @ u queef

Stop giving in to (((drugs))) (vice or otherwise) and lift more.

b-bump

Ssris are not worth it IMO. Take some vitamin D, drink plenty of water, exercise and eat well.

Yes, they work. But, they take up to a month to take effect. However, withdrawals are the worst thing in history and you'll need to ween off them slowly if you want to get off them. But, they made my life significantly netter and paired with exercise they'll work dramatically well.

OP hete

my main concern is

Do anti depressants permanently change brain chemistry even after you come off them? I’m afraid of losing my former self in the void.

I'm already apathetic and robot-like, I don't even feel like a person. Will ssris do anything for me?

you aren't depressed, you have anxiety. take it from a former pozzed zombie...do not take SSRIs. go to the doctor and get beta blockers instead. take a dose, force yourself out somewhere for an hour each day WHILE ON THE MEDICATION, and you will get better

beta blockers are the pill form of CBT. you can do it.

and yes SSRIs will permanently damage your brain

it's been 10 years and i still have the zombie stare from it. i'll never speak to my mother again.

lexapro made it where I couldn't cum which sucked because I couldn't even jack off.

So i opted off and found other ways to cope. My nephew being born really grounded me.

SSRI's got rid of me feeling down all the time, and replaced me with an avolition inflicted zombie. Eventually stopped taking them.
Working out works way better for mood and also I'm not a zombie anymore.

Still have avolition though.

This thread suddenly is making me grateful my psychiatrist appointment was cancelled today. I have some really bad depression and I'm deciding on cleansing my insides and quitting garbage so I can have the vulnerability to accept my issues and find peace

Meditation m8.
It doesn't matter if you're not spiritual or religious, just do it

why don't you stop being a pussy you fucking girly faggot?

>needing pills instead of manning up

disgraceful.

Man I am so glad I got into molymeme back in high school. I can look back and think what a fucking idiot I was for thinking ancap was tenable position but also that it made me so against ssris and the whole mental illnesses industry in general. Reading all you guys talk about how bad ssris were for you really makes me realize I dodged a bullet.

>SSRIs... do they work?
for some people, especially people with severe depression. they also give a lot of side-effects and they're often no better than placebo for people with mild or moderate depression. they don't solve depression, but they can sometimes allow a person to function well enough in daily life to work on their problems.

>brain zaps

I get these and I’ve never been on any medication in my life

It only happens when I’m close to falling asleep...wtf is it?

I used to get random episodes of feeling down for no reason at all, something I would call 'chemical sadness' (this was different from feeling down AFTER thinking things like "my life is going nowhere / I'm a failure / I'm alone"). Started taking escitalopram (lexapro/cipralex is the brand name), and those episodes went away. It also helped me realize I had anxiety, since that medication made a day and night difference in how my body reacted to social situations.

I still feel down or anxious sometimes, but it comes from reasonable external reasons, rather than for no reason at all. I have trouble crying now though which frustrates me sometimes. Also like () I had trouble cumming the first 2-3 months but I eventually adapted and I'm back to being able to jerk it a few times a day

So overall, pretty positive experience for me AND it does not make me feel like a zombie like a lot of people here have experienced. Everyone reacts to it differently though. Good luck OP

You need to change your habits start with small things. Making your bed every morning brushing your teeth etc. Make routines, haircut with the same barber same day of the week every month or couple of weeks. Just start doing at least one thing everyday and make it a priority to just get it done no matter what.

SSRIs helped me put my life back together. If you have legitimate imbalances with your brain chemistry, drugs can be highly beneficial. If you're sad cause no gf, too many vidya gaymes, no friends, no job, etc. then you probably just need to get outside your comfort zone

>Reading all you guys talk about how bad ssris were for you really makes me realize I dodged a bullet.
SSRIs are definitely being prescribed way too often, but for some people they're absolutely crucial. I think the main problem is that they're given to a huge number of people who don't need/shouldn't take them, so you end up with all these horror stories. If doctors were more restrictive and prescribed them to the people who can truly benefit from them then they'd have a much better reputation.

bump cause curious

Ever heard of wellbutrin? It's a mild stimulant. No zombie mode, no limp dick, no weight gain, no withdrawal syndrome. Helps for cigarette craving and seasonal depression, too.

Worst side effects are insomnia and heartburn. The former goes away eventually but can of course be medicated, the latter takes PPI meds or a very careful diet.

I'm not saying it's a great drug or that one should treat depression with drugs to begin with, but SSRIs certainly aren't the only choice out there.

SSRIs work, but only for the right people. Psych drugs are a gamble, and what works for one person will do nothing for another. What does nothing for one person will totally fuck up another person. Their mechanism of action is not well understood. Brace for all the retarded advice by people without any medical background. "Just take (vitamin) and run for 12 minutes in the morning bruh!" "Just go to church!" No, these people are good-willed retards.

SSRIs, NRSI, MOAIs, and antipsychotics are totally necessary for some people, but they are vastly overprescribed because the immediate side effects are mild or non-existent, humans aren't evolved to live happily in the modern world, and there is likely a placebo effect at play which makes people feel better when they take them. Also money. Shitloads of big pharma money.

If you think you have depression/anxiety/psychotic behavior, go see a psychiatrist (NOT psychologist, they cannot prescribe medication). Be honest about your symptoms. Your doctor won't immediately prescribe meds unless you are clearly a danger to yourself or others. There will be some talk therapy, which is great for mild depression and seeing things from a new perspective. Your doc will likely suggest diet+exercise to help, and this is always a great first step. It's not enough in my opinion, though - you also need to consider why are depressed and attempt to recraft your world view so that you find happiness in new places. As an adult, you have to work to find happiness.

I have MDD/GAD and I have a facile understanding of cell biology and neuroscience (enough for my research). I think a holistic approach that modifies your lifestyle and only incorporates medication when necessary is the best approach. It is the least damaging and will tackle the issue of mental illness from many points.

Lifting, chemically speaking, is also a drug.

I agree. They have a long ramp up but they are life changers for some, including me.

SSRIs do not permanently change brain chemistry. I don't recall offhand whether or not SNRIs do though.

Taking heart medication for perceived depression is, without a doubt, fucking retarded. OP, do not listen to this person. He is trying to help but he doesn't know what he's talking about.

They do not.

This is an issue too. However this only happened when I started taking wellbutrin and Lexapro together.

I would do that first, but also see your psychiatrist. Just don't begin medication yet.

This also helps for many people, including me.

don't take them

>apathetic and robot-like
>brain zaps

exactly what I got, but it sounds like you need to find some meaning friend

I definitely noticed some improvement while on Zoloft. Felt more motivated and energetic. Side effects were kind of neat though, libido/erection stayed the same but I had god-tier stamina, barely bothered to masturbate since it was so much work.

Am I the only one that didn't turn into a zombie from antidepressants...?

They can be immensely helpful for some people in some situations. It'll only take you a month to know if you're in the boat. Just Do It Desu