QTDDTOT

Thinspo edition

GF wants to go out drinking tommorow (lift day), how should I adjust my diet? Eating 2850cal and 2350cal on rest days. Should I get my carbs right after workout and get my protein through the day, leaving a like 800cal for drinks, or should I eat up to 2850 like I would and then just drink above my limit?

Other urls found in this thread:

exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=gbeMZXrbgPg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I need some clarification Veeky Forums

I hit the chest with as much frequency as my shoulders but instead of having similar progression, my chest blew up and my shoulders while also grew a lot, didn't as much as my chest.

how do I fix this and should I just be hitting lateral raises 4x week? Or is it just the fate of the natty

for shoulders I do OHP, Lat Raises and Face Pulls as direct work, then there's the bench, barbell rows, etc.

Cutting or bulking?
Leave a deficit for the former, ignore it for the latter.

Should days of physical activity outside the gym be counted as "working" days even if they fell on rest days?

E.g., I spent Tuesday lifting and thus working, and Wednesday moving heavy furniture, should I go back to the gym Thursday?

>

Lean bulking, scared of putting on too much fat at once though, I want maximum gainz though, so I guess I'll go for the latter.

If I were to water fast, would it be beneficial to keep training?

no lifting, only cardio. but if you do OMAD you can do it with amino acids

all non-essential
Only supplement proven to help is creatine.

if it helps you hit your macros, sure

repeat week 1

sure, having fun is important!
Don't overdo it though, one or two is more than enough.
Pick a weight that you can do for about 10 reps and don't go to failure, leave a rep or two in the tank.

going to failure that much is really taxing for recovery, I wouldn't reccommend it

How many meals are you having.
protein/number of meals
Divide amount of protein equally and leave about 2-4 hours between each meal

Not really, but you better be eating a shit ton of vegetables

You might be showering/washing with hot water to often.
Also, drink more water.

1. Mass 1%bw/week for two months
2. Maintenance 1 months
3. Cut 1% bw/week two months
4. repeat

How should I keep my back in the barbell row, and where should the barbell hit my body? Chest or stomach?

Count working days as 'rest days'. Just make sure to eat enough and don't do any programs with insane amounts of volume.

If you really care about gains, don't drink alcohol or at least keep it to 1 or two drinks.

Leave the calories open for the drinks. Take them from fats and carbs, keep protein up.
And make sure to get some sleep.

back should be flat. Never let it round.

Most people touch on the stomach.

I read in another thread that working out while fasting will help preserve more of muscle mass? New to this.

guys iam cutting but today i extended my tdee so tomorrow i should subtract the amount i ate extra right?

Completely wrong.
Eating protein before and during your workout is what will preserve muscle mass.
Mascles become catabolic during a workout and not having available protein resources will only enhance that effect.

But meal timing is really a detail, doesn't really make THAT big of a difference

yep

Should it be parallel to the ground, or more like a a 45 degree?

Parallel for Pendlay rows. 45 degree for Yates rows.

>If you really care about gains, don't drink alcohol or at least keep it to 1 or two drinks.
>Leave the calories open for the drinks. Take them from fats and carbs, keep protein up.
>And make sure to get some sleep.

I'll try to keep it as drink amount as low as possible, I wouldn't go but I don't want to say no to my GF again. Of course I'll try to sleep as much as I can , but I'll have 2 rest days right after the party, so would getting like 4 hours of sleep completely fuck my gains up?

No. Just continue with your cut. Don't try to make up for your fuck ups.

So it's really better for my muscles to do nothing than to be trained during a total fast? That's unexpected but thank you for the help.

It's complicated. On a total fast you're in ketosis, which is protein sparing. Your body reprocesses protein and can use the protein in the lean mass that supports your fat (e.g. skin, fat cells, blood, etc.).

You're better off not doing prolonged total fasts. You're better off working out regularly than not working out.

>I don't want to say no to my GF again
This is a much bigger problem than calorie management.

Just go and drink tonic water with lime. Or mineral water. Tell the bartender you're the designated driver and they might even give it to you free.

If you really don't like going out and your GF does, maybe you need to find a different girlfriend.

Thanks for the tips. I'll think about the last bit, though the thing is I love going out, but also calorie management.

I've perfectly filled up my macros yet I've got 600cal left. Can I fill it up with anything, sweets, fruits, maybe some cheesy toast, or should I just continue eating vegetables and greek youghurt? Rest day so I don't really need carbs and I've got them at 120g.

I drank my first protein shake ever 30 minutes ago after working out, i took two scoops and a little too much water. Now i feel quite uneasy in my stomach, like i'm about to be sick. I've been off sugar for about two weeks, could the artificial sweetener cause this?

>two scoops
Does the body even absorb more than ~30g of protein per meal?

Yeah, it's probably the artificial sweetener, I had that same feeling when I drink a pepsi light for the first time. I'd say just wait it out and maybe make yourself some green tea,.

Ok thanks. the taste is salted caramel which i bought since it had so good reviews, hopefully it will taste less sweet with only one scoop. Do you know of any myprotein chocolate wheys which don't taste so sweet? i might have to throw this one out if it doesn't get better.

I'm using vanilla myself, it's sweet, but it's not teeth buzzingly sweet. It's the only whey I've tasted though.

Salted caramel sounds really good and I wouldn't mind a sweet bomb, I might try it next.

fuck, I meant white chocolate, NOT vanilla

Rate of gut transit slows to absorb protein.

Post-workout nausea is common. Lie down and chill for a while.

I hear a lot of back and forth about whether keto is good or not, but most of the detractors cite health issues as the downside. What I want to know is if the supposed pros of allowing for a strength sparing cut are true, because I’m fine with taking a hit to my cardiovascular health for 2-3 months as I cut before resuming normal eating so long as the fat loss specificity is legit.

>Rate of gut transit slows to absorb protein.
Wait, if I understand that right, does that mean it'll just digest slower, but no protein will go to waste?

of course it does. stop spilling shit from your mouth

i even eat 150g of protein in 1 meal

looks like fruit it is then

Yes, exactly.

No proven health issues to Atkins-style keto.

There may be health issues with the super high polyunsaturated fat diet used to treat epilepsy.

depends on the variation you are doing. 45* is pretty standard
horizontal or pendlay rows like said

just don't fast

fats should be used to fill up calories
They are healthy and keeping carbs semi-low can keep your body sensitive to insuline (which will promote muscle growth on high-carb days)

So eat yoghurt, peanut butter, etc.

Of course you can eat carbs as well, but try to eat mostly fats.

don't drink a whole shaker in one go? try to spread it out more maybe?

'a strength sparing cut ' can be done perfectly on a normal diet, by:
- keeping training volume high
- keeping protein intake high
- cutting calories mainly from reducing fat intake

There is no evidence that keto is better for cutting than a normal cutting diet. (and it is reasonable to assume it is worse)

Aight, thanks!

>fats should be used to fill up calories
>They are healthy and keeping carbs semi-low can keep your body sensitive to insuline (which will promote muscle growth on high-carb days)
>So eat yoghurt, peanut butter, etc.
>Of course you can eat carbs as well, but try to eat mostly fats.

Thank you.

I love oats but they dont seem like they'd go well with meat or vegetables, so I ask you how do I make rice like oats?

So if I were to do keto I would want to stick with saturated fats? I’m not going to cut until a few more months since I want to hit 200 first, but I’m trying to gather info in the interim.

The problem I found with the traditional strength sparing cut is that you limit yourself to a 500 calorie deficit, and the deficit alone is the mechanism of weight loss. That means to go from, say, 198 to 175 (which I did for my last cut) with this 1lb a week limit will take me almost 6 months. Keto proponents claim that you can lose weight faster because of the fat loss specificity, and I would rather do keto if it, say, turned that 6 month cut into a 2-3 month cut. Also, I found that while lower body lifts (squats/diddlies) barely declines, upper body lifts (ohp/bench) suffer horrifically even when doing a small, controlled, and consistent deficit. Also, even dropping 23 lbs did damn near nothing for love handle fat.

Now I know a lot of people will preach patience, but my main problem with a long cut is that every day you cut is a day you’re not gaining strength, anyone who claims otherwise is either on beginner gains or on roids. So if keto does in fact allow me to speed up my cut, i would prefer that instead.

>the deficit alone is the mechanism of weight loss
As it always is, also on keto. The science is pretty clear on this. Any weight loss is due to less calories consumed. If there's anything else going the difference is too small to notice.

You can listen to people's theories all day, but reality is still the same.

Not saying there's anything wrong with keto, but there isn't anything magical about it either. Same goes for intermittent fasting, now that we're at it.

Anyway if you want to cut more aggressively, go ahead. If you have a good amount of bodyfat on you and keep training hard it's unlikely you'll lose a significant amount of muscle.
Also, with clever training you can absolutely keep making (little) strength gains when cutting. With the possible except of the bench press. That lift seems to correlate a lot with bodyweight, regardless of whether it's muscle of fat.

Every time I eat I feel like vomiting it back out
I'm bulking which sucks and I'd honestly rather just eat 1000 calories a day but I'm 5'10" and 150 so I need like 2500
Before I started bulking there were probably some days I could go on only around 500 calories but not feel sick from it (all i really like to eat are vegetables and fruit so i could feel full)
Do I have anorexia or something and my body is rejecting the food?
Absolutely EVERYTHING I eat makes me feel bad with the exception of apples and bananas but thats it
The only problem is I cant live on fruits so i need to eat other shit like beans and bread and its all vomit inducing

>Be planning on bulking soon
>Reading Starting Strength

So, should I pay some local gym trainer to keep an eye on me when I start for my form or should I just wing it?

You just don't want to go crazy with the unsaturated fats. No drinking canola oil a cup at a time or shit like that.

Yes, you probably have an eating disorder.

Smoking weed may help improve your appetite and help get rid of the nausea, but you should probably see a doctor.

>should I pay some local gym trainer to keep an eye on me when I start for my form
It'd be a good idea if it wasn't for the fact that the vast majority of people, including "trainers" have no clue how to actually perform these lifts.

Unless you can find somebody who's very competent - who'd probably be willing to check your form for free by the way - you're better off studying a couple of good videos online. Record yourself and compare.

The way most gym trainers are, it's better to wing it unless you can find one who's familiar with Starting Strength.

i mostly agree with what said

A few things I want to add:
If you don't want to cut long try this:
bulk slower and cut harder.
Bulk with a max of 0.5%bw/week and cut with 1%bw/week.
Bulk 3 months, cut 1.5 months.
This should keep your weight about the same, while lowering your bodyfat and increasing your muscle mass.

Keto won't magically allow you to keep more muscle/strength while cutting.

1. Do greyskull, not SS
2. don't trust gym trainers
3. Film every set you do and post on fit for feedback

For PPL could I just do
Push, Pull&Legs, rest, rest, Push, Pull&Legs, rest rest, etc?

When counting calories, and my goal is 3000 for example, my counter substracts 300 (10%) as digestions calories. Should I then eat 3300, or eat that 3000 which is my TDEE + 500?

Can't say, but it really doesn't matter. Because the goal isn't "3000 calories". The goal is the amount of calories that cause you to lose or gain weight at the desired pace. So any way you slice it you pretty much have to pick an arbitrary number, roll with, weigh yourself, and adjust according.
Calculators can only give you a rough estimate.

>my counter substracts 300 (10%) as digestions calories
Just ignore bullshit like that.

You are bulking? Then yes, eat your tdee (3000) +500 cals

Are you asking if you can do pull and legs on the same day?

yes

okay, cheers

You can just do push/pull and put squats on push and deads on pull.

Or do a non-retarded program.

I would just do an upper/lower split then

I'm scared that I'm not lifting correctly.

I'm 5'7, 70kg, 21%bodyfat
Been lifting since november last year but stopped for a month so around 10 months.
My lifts for reps are 0.75/1.2/1.5/2 and that's what I work with every session ATM.
Routine is Veeky Forums's GSLP
Finally went with a nutritionist last week after trying to do nutrition by myself, she's put me on a deficit cuz 21% was too much bf.

Veeky Forums told me that 1/2/3/4 was an easily attainable 1-year goal but Im barely at half that. I'm worried because I saw this huge guy at my gym, he takes care of the place in the mornings while the actual owner comes in the evenings, squatting 3pl8. This guy in my eyes is a huge meathunk and has been lifting for years and struggles to get 5 reps out of that. I think I've been memed on.

Thx for reading my blog

>70 kg

More protein. More kcals. More rest.

If that doesn't help, move to an intermediate program like Texas Method or Madcow 5x5.

How is riffs heart still beating? Genetics are fucking amazing.

I did it again, Veeky Forums

>teach group fitness classes part time, it's a bunch of cardio + calisthenics crap
>new girl in the class is a thicc qt
>catch her staring at me every time my back is turned
>when I look back at her she looks away
>after the class ends she follows me into the back office and starts asking a bunch of retarded questions
>"can you show me how to do a push up?"
>"what do you mean I saw you doing them during the workout"
>"oh.. well show me how to do a pull up then"
>"o-okay sure
>i teach her how to do a pull up
>does half a pull up and comes down, proceeds to stare at me for a few seconds
>"uhh so... how do you squat properly"
>show her basic squat form
>stare blankly at her waiting for the next dumb question
>she stares back for a solid 8-10 seconds as if waiting for something
>her smile slowly fades into a frown
>"alright... see you later i guess"
>mfw 10 minutes later I realized she could have been dropping hints

This is the second time in two weeks I've sabotaged myself. How do I stop being autistic

This question probably comes up a lot here but fuck it

6'3 bag of bones here. How do I start to get big? Obviously lean makes more sense but how do I find the initial motivation/what exercise should I do as an absolute beginner?

Ah i see. I know that deficits are always the main reason for weight loss, but from what you’re telling me keto doesn’t help retain strength any better than a regular deficit and is mainly used for other benefits like decreasing insulin resistance. In that case I guess it’s a bit of a relief that I can just do another regular deficit, since keto narrows your food choices and I don’t like the idea of butter coffee and bacon every morning.

One last question, are supplements like Yohimbine just a meme or do they actually work? I don’t mean for just losing weight, that’s a matter of counting calories, but rather for “targeting” stubborn fat. I normally don’t buy into anything that claims to target fat since it’s usually some mass marketed garbage, but I hear a lot of people swear by Yohimbine and while I don’t care as much about aesthetics I could stand to lose the love handles that seem to stay even after I can see my 6 pack again.

>1/2/3/4
it's a meme
Some people get it fast, others after 3 years, lifting is not one size fits all.
Genetics are very important here.

And your nutritionist is right, you need to lose weight

Also: Size =/= strength

Not going deep into the why, doing a bodyweight circuit training thing in my basement suggested by a coworker until I build a home gym
>Skip rope (easy pace) to warm up
>Stretch
>20 squats
>10 pushups
>20 lunges
>10 dumbbell rows per arm
>Skip rope (hard pace) 30 seconds
>Plank 30 seconds
>Go back to squats
>Repeat until collapse or 5 sets every other day
Is this a reasonable way to get back into fitness after being away for 5 years? Doc gave me the go ahead if I promised not to dive back into powerlifting. Said I needed to ease into it and develop my core before I hit a squat rack again.

Get a copy of the book Starting Strength. It contains detailed instructions on how to do the lifts, what to eat, how to run a noob program, and when to move on. Read it and do what it says. GOMAD, too.

>are supplements like Yohimbine just a meme
yes, they are a meme and mass marketed garbage. Don't fall for stupid shit like that

Only two types of supplements have scientific consensus that they benefit training:
- Protein powders
- Creatine

The more you eat while lifting, the better your "genetics" will get.

Do you guys brace for squats? I find it hard to actually brace and hold it through the motion. Especially for reps. I basically have to stop at the top and re-brace every time.

>cookiecutter bullshit 'fitness routine'

Just go to the gym and hit some weights.

1.Lifts weights.
2. Increase them incrementally over time.
3. Eat.
That's literally all there is to it people!!

Sup Veeky Forums

Been lifting for 7 weeks now (transitioning from long distance running), and where I’m making steady gains in my lifts, I’m not really putting on weight. I’m on 3.2k cals a day, eating clean. I worked out my daily cal intake with a fitness app and it says 50% of my macros should be carbs but unsure if that’s correct? Currently I’m not eating that amount of carbs.

I was discussing this issue with a couple of guys I work with who are long time lifters. Person A says I should eat more carbs and maintain my current calorie intake (eating more fat than carbs at the moment), and Person B says I should just eat more cals a day including an additional meal plus two protein shakes(currently eat 3 meals a day).

I’m not sure what to do. I can easily do either choices or maybe there’s something else?

Pic unrelated.

fine, i'll spoon-feed

Calories: tdee +500 cals. If you are not gaining weight, increase further by 250-500 cals.

Protein: 1g/pound of bw

Carbs: rest day = 1g/pound of bw
training day: 2g/pound of bw

Fats: eat until calorie goal is reached.

Spread macro's evenly throughout the day and 4-5 meals

Will lose some fat first, doc said so.
I thought you had to move to intermediate programs after you reached the intermediate strength standards in exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

Ah, I see, thanks for easing my mind.
Yeah, probably the fact that I'm a manlet has something to do with it.

Have some ass.

is there a babbys guide how to eat as a beginner
i started out as a ~65kg @180cm skelly, "bulked" at a 300kcal surplus and now im at 74kg and unknown bodyfat, id guess 20-25, abs not visible

>Veeky Forums told me that 1/2/3/4 was an easily attainable 1-year goal
It's a completely fucking random milestone.
Take two people. One is a scrawny geek who has spent his life in front of his pc and gets winded tying his shoes. The other is the Mountain from Game of Thrones.
Both of these guys train perfectly. Do you think their lifts will be identical after a year?

Protection from Peach Panther

>keto
youtube.com/watch?v=gbeMZXrbgPg

If I'm doing a cut, should I scale back on fat or carbs first? And I'm assuming my protein intake should be higher than carbs as well?

I've never done honest to god marco counting before, excuse my retardation.

Yes, cut fats first.

Also, this:

Calories: tdee -500 cals. If you are not losing weight, increase further by 250-500 cals.

Protein: 1g/pound of bw

Carbs: rest day = 1g/pound of bw
training day: 2g/pound of bw

Fats: eat until calorie goal is reached.

Spread macro's evenly throughout the day and 4-5 meals

This, it's basically another marketing scam from the powerlifting geeks.

Thank you, user

Depends on what you're doing.
If you just sit on your keester and don't workout or just do light activity then cutting back on carbs could be a good way to go.

If you're active in your day to day life and or you go ham in the gym/park then low fat is the way to go.

Do you HAVE to eat carbs for your muscles to repair, or is ~70g after a workout enough if the rest of your food instake is protein and fats only?

I have a desk job from 8-5 on weekdays, I sit at my computer a lot at home too.

I currently got to the gym in the morning for aprox. 60-90 minutes usually 5 or 6 days a week. 20-30 minutes of that is for cardio, the rest is lifting. I know I need to increase cardio, thinking about doing normal morning workouts with another cardio session after work as well.

what is the difference between a V shaped hairline and a M. they look the same to me except one is mature hairline and one is balding

more carbs is better, 70g is very low..

I know it's very low, but I'm going drinking and supposedly keeping carbs low and drinking only hard liquer shouldn't store much fat when eating surplus. Though what I'm asking, except for energy, will it affect the muscle reparation, I'll be carbing up the day after.

Do you want to lose weight or gain muscle.
Because if you're totally untrained you can kind of do both for a while.
You'll just need low calories and enough protein and energy to rebuild and power your workouts.

If you just want to get cut fast then keto with low carb and a simple resistance program to maintain muscle while doing cardio to burn off excess fat seems to be the way to go.

Outside eating at maintenance and consuming high protein(2g/kg), what else can I do to maintain as much as possible of my strength and muscle if I'm unable to lift for 4-6 weeks.

drinking will hurt your recovery more than eating carbs could ever help it, so it's a pretty stupid questin really.
Just don't fucking drink if you care about recovery

>keto with low carb
When will this meme fucking die?
see

pls halp

I get this sharp pain in my shoulder from benching anyone got any tips, btw my form is decent so I dont think thats the issue

nothing much, but muscle comes back way quicker than when first building it, so don't worry about it.

eh, kinda figured out.
At least I'll come back thirsty and I'm going to take advantage of that

t. gyno surgery since that garbage is ruining my physique

anyone ever gotten pain in the front of the shoulder that kinda radiates to the traps right after heavy push pressing? It went away right after my workout but the pain was a little alarming?

Steroids.

newfag here. where do i do rows? do i just grab a bar off of the bench or what?

if i've got a barbell at home i use to lift, how do i avoid hurting myself? I can put a lot of weight on this thing but I've come close to hurting myself a couple times.

one time I put the weight onto my shoulders from the ground so I could squat, then when I was done I was too weak to get the bar back over my head to my front so I was stuck. I didn't want to just drop the weights on the ground because they were expensive so I shuffled over to my bed and tried putting the weight there to riggle my head out, but it pushed into the mattress and pinned my head in place. I was stuck for ages because I couldn't reach the screw things to get the weights off, eventually I got out though.