Is there any benefit to doing hammer curls rather than just regular dumbbell or barbell curls?

Is there any benefit to doing hammer curls rather than just regular dumbbell or barbell curls?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l84vmuuuHRg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes they target different flexors. you should be doing both, or reverse curls

wtf are reverse curls?

Eh, sort of. They target the brachioradialis, which helps stabilize the elbow during flexion. I'd do hammer curls more as an accessory lift than a main lift since they won't activate your biceps very much.

It puts alot less tension on your wrist as well.

Do curls really improve grip strength? What kind of curls does it best?

people do curls as a main lift?

Overhand grip. Heavy pronation. Standard grip is supination, hammer's are inbetween.

>does holding and swinging around heavy things improve your grip

No need to be a dick about it dude.

You don't? Do you only spend 45 minutes at the gym or something?

If I do a pull routine my biceps already get worked the entire time. Makes no sense to do more than one curl accessory lift.

Lurk more, faggot

You are too easily offended
I suggest you try forum.bodybuilding.com or reddit

Are you supposed to go super heavy with those? I see gymbros going super heavy with their hammer curls. Like 50-60lbs

Yes it does, don't fall for the minimalist meme

Do three different types of curls with different sets and rep range. Like heavy 5x5 barbell curl, moderate weight db curls 3/4x8/12, light weight something else 3/4x15/20

This is retarded. Don't fall for it.

A lifting buddy of mine told me that there is no reason to do reverse curls as there is no science behind it and you get the same effect through doing hammer or wrist curls. Confirm/deny?

hey dude just because you sound uneducated as fuck im going to tackle this ridiculous question

the physiology of the arm, and which muscles activate to stabilize the movement change depending on the position of your arm. to put this in laymans terms, it's like doing diamond grip pushups, normal pushups, and wide pushups. While they will in general target the same musculature, they put a heavier emphasis on certain flexors and muscles that will fire to stabilize everything.

so no, you do not get the same effect of doing anything one way vs the other. It is a dumb question, and you should never ask such a dumb fucking question again. Don't be a moron and add in reverse curls every once in a while and you'll be fine, maybe supinate your grip going up, pronate your grip going down.

I spend 100 mins on ((arm)) day but only 8 sets of curls and it's always at the end of my day

yeah this. I'm at like 40% bicep strength at the end of my compounds

t.virgin

Come on bro, don't say that. Just be nice, it's not that hard.

do you train "inner chest" too?

this shit only matters minutely to bodybuilders. everyone else is more than ok with chins, rows and curls of some kind.

5x5 barbell curls strict form

>Elbow flexion movement
>Won't activate biceps very much

>They target the bicep but won't use the bicep

Works you forearms better

Hommie doesnt do lying plate presses with 2 25's
C H E S T L E T
H
E
S
T
L
E
T

A little but so does most exercises. I wouldn't really count curls as doing any real grip work.
Big pulling movements like row variations, pull ups and deadlifts do so much more

You're being a huge faggot

>Le ebin chad meme supporting my opinion
Is it already september?

Bench isn't really a chest exercise. Pecs only really contribute on the bottom quarter of the rep and most fools cheat that part of the rep.

Do dips.

>Bench isn't really a chest exercise

>I do flat press wrong therefore flat press is a bad lift
okii buddiiii

For fuck's sake, no they're not.

What is this fucking meme going around lately that you can do fuck all isolation exercises and still grow?

All the people I've seen do only one exercise for the biceps have pitiful arms.
All the people I've seen do more have big arms. See a pattern?

I'm not saying to do retarded things like 6 different exercises with super sets and dropsets and whatnot.
But you're seriously misguided if you think your arms won't benefit from doing THREE targeted exercises once or twice a week.

See, the bias and hate towards conventional bodybuilding made Poole discard even the few things that actually work.

Stay T-Rex, SS fags

This is very factual. My triceps alone can lift hundreds of lbs

If that were true you could OHP and bench about the same amount

>All the people I've seen doing this has bad results
>All the people I've seen doing that has good results
>Do you see a pattern in my anecdotal evidence that I just wrote?
>Do you?

Are you fucking retarded?

Yes, barbell bench press alone, while great for strenght, isn't enough for optimal hypertrophy, st least for most people, and that's why you should always follow it up with things like incline DB press, incline flyes, and maybe something else.

But flat out saying that bench press doesn't really hit pecs, that means you suffer from actual retardation

Twist my words however you please.

But there is a reason the common gym rat you laugh at, the ones you sneer at calling them curlbros, have huge fucking arms, while most of the retarded SS junkies look like shit and can't lift heavy shit either.

lol. can tell you've not been in this for long

show me someone with a 1.5 plate press for reps, 3 plate bench for reps, and 0.5bw chin for reps without massive arms and shoulders.

you don't "need" 3 isolations for every damn body part to get big lad. maybe you should give some thought to the idea that your personal observations aren't fact

>SS
>can't lift heavy shit
first you were retarded, now you're just making shit up. head over to the SS forums, guys there hit 4 plate 5RM squats in under half a year all the time.

lmao, what weakfags, I hit 4 plates in three months

Then why does every powerlifting program you all always seem to fall in love with say to add accessory work?

Look, I'll pick one you love as an example: candito's 6 weeks. Almost every one who's reviewed it or tried it says it doesn't have nearly enough accessories for optimal muscle growth. The guy himself tells you to throw in curls and other accessories for biceps/triceps, pecs and everything else, basically. Why would he do that, if all you needed for 44cm arms where fucking chin-ups?

I don't really see where this idea that throwing in two or three additional exercises is somehow detrimental for your gains stems from.

>dips
>chest

*laughs in triceps*

Decline bench if you really want to hit pecs.

the only big person i know dedicates an entire day to just biceps. drop sets, 10x10, slow negs, 5x5. i see him do everything

>doesn't know why arguing from personal experience is a fallacy

This.
Guy from pic is competitive strongman and thinks
1. SS is rubbish
2. everyone should do direct arms work

Yeah, one in a million.
You'll see people put on 40pounds of muscle in a year doing brosplits if you look hard enough. An exception is just that.

Most people who fall for SS just end up being fat with lifts that aren't anywhere near heavy enough to be impressive in any way. They're just lardasses who can squat 3pl8s, big deal, I've seen teens at my gym hit that in 6 months on a bodybuilding routine.
Your point remains moot

I'm not twisting your words.
I'm pointing out that you are putting forth YOUR personal observations and tell OTHER PEOPLE to draw a conclusion from that.

You SS-gays either don't have statistics, meanwhile good coaches will never program anyone in SS-way

They don't fucking care or even understand anything about gains

They only only care about convincing fucking regards to lift heavy shit. That's it.

And before somebody else stars going "hurr durr personal experience doesn't count, hurr durr"

It's just an example, and I'm sure you all know or have seen people do the same, even if you won't admit it

Ha-ha, if someone says that big guys allways do direct arm work, it's "personal experience", if Rippetoe's cocksuckers say that someone hit 1/2/3/4 plates in 6 months with SS it's not. LMAO at you, faggots.

Then explain to me why, why, why a guy shouldn't be doing a couple of accessories for biceps after he already has done some indirect arm work with rowing or whatever and a few chin-ups.

Do you really think they're not gonna do anything? That, somehow, a couple of curl variations isn't gonna have an impact on the muscles? Are you that misguided?

Or maybe you think that it might be too much. If that's the case, you're even more clueless that I thought

Who dis??

Which gym do you go to where everyone has huge arms? They must all be roiding. The few different gyms I've been too, there might be some regular "gymrat" types that are in good shape, but I wouldn't call their arms huge and I see them doing a good amount iso curls and rope pushdowns.

On the other hand, I only do 2 sets if iso for bi's and tri's per week though admittedly both are drop sets so I'm still getting like 25-30 reps in, like 10-15 at good to heavy weight. Been doing that since May, and I've seen some of my best growth.

They do target your forearms a lot more than normal curls, but honestly i'd rather do heavy farmer's walks or even rack pulls for huge forearms

Mythical Strength

Manlet Destiny said that deadlifts and rackpulls don't work forearms that much, you need direct grip training work.

Dumb faggot, no matter how much you autistically screech, you can't change scientific and physiological fact, STRENGTH =/ AESTHETICS

strength gains are primarily through the nervous system

youtube.com/watch?v=l84vmuuuHRg

Mongoloid

First of all: what is "indirect arm work"? All the exercises you mention includes an elbow flexion. That's a pretty good indicator for your biceps being directly worked.
But let's asume that you mean compounds involving arms.

>One good reason why (, why, why) one shouldn't do a couple of accesories for biceps after compounds?
One reason could be because of how the rest of ones routine is structured. Sure if you're only doing compounds in low volumen set/rep schemes then sure go do some extra biceps exercises if you want to.
But if you on the other hand do compounds in high volumen (fx 5/3/1 BBB) then doing anything more than one isolation should be more than enough in most cases.
Another reason to stick to only one isolation exercise for biceps could be that you do said exercise in sufficient high level of volumen.

>logicalfallacies.info
Give it a readthrough for your own sake

Not telling the gym :^)

What I do:
Even tho I seemingly bashed it early on, I'm actually doing candito's 6 week program right now.
What I do for arms is, on every upper body day (which I do three of a week, because I've seen I can recover just fine):

Bi's:
- barbell curl 5x5
- db curl 4x12 with moderately heavy weight, like 16/18 kg
- either 3 sets of 21s or 3x20 of cable curl

Tris:
- skulkcrushers 5x8
- push downs 4x15/20

This works good enough, for me. Some of the people on this thread would start REEEEEing a the idea, but 9 biceps exercises in a week aren't really that many. If anything, maybe the triceps work Is too much, if you find it hinders your ability to recover before the next bench session.

Right now my arms are 41cm at ~14% bf, 180cm height. So they are fairly big, I find, but I'm not some roidmonster, fatso or manlet with manlet proportions.

They have grown 2 cm in 11 weeks training them like this. So again, I can say that, at least for me, and the few guys at my gym I had try the modified program I run, the results were great.

My tip is, try increasing volume and frequency. Play around a bit with sets and reps. But your arms aren't gonna grow if you train them that little

>dumb faggot
charming.

the amount of small guys lifting huge weight is miniscule. strength =/= aesthetics, true. but high strength requires large volumes to produce the muscle mass needed to get it, and volume = aesthetics, provided your body fat isn't low. if you never gain weight and train your nervous system only Easy Strength style, your strength will reach its ceiling limit fairly soon. this is the reason weight classes exist in strength sports.

here's a pic of jonnie candito the powerlifter so you can look and realize how BTFO you just got. and unlike your example, he is not special - all light PLs look like this because they need muscle to get strong, as well as the CNS/motor pathway work.

if you're going to run your mouth you may as well get the facts right, son.

>Right now my arms are 41cm at ~14% bf, 180cm height. So they are fairly big, I find, but I'm not some roidmonster, fatso or manlet with manlet proportions.
Sorry to break it to you but 180cm is less than 5'11". People should just try to discuss with you since it's scientifically proven that you'll never learn

>strength gains are primarily through the nervous system
This is part of truth.

So you mean to say that doing 6 more working sets for biceps is gonna be too much for your body just because you do compound lifts in "high" volume?

Maybe you need somebody to explain you how rest, recovery and overtraining work.

If you cant recover properly before your next training, the fault is not in a couple accessory exercises, assuming you aren't retarded in volumes and intensity (but then again, I never said to do 8x8 on three different curls), but in proper nutrition and rest.

Unless you spend two hours straight doing every kind of rowing variations known to man, your biceps aren't gonna be so worn out they can't benefit from three accessories. And it's not the three accessories that are gonna stunt the recovery before the next gym session.

All I'm getting from this thread is the idea that some of you guys are scared shitless of doing "too much" work. Which, again, three extra exercises once or twice a week isn't. It seems to me you underestimate your own recovery ability

biceps can take a hammering even with the inclusion of insane rowing/chinning volume, i agree. but what's your obsession with 3 different exercises?

They would hit both Biceps and Brachialis but the position you do the hammer curls in - Mid supination (Palms halfway between facing floor and ceiling) favours the Brachioradialis more than Biceps Brachii.

The Biceps Brachii are favoured when you perform elbow flexion with full supination i.e turning your palms from facing downward to facing upward.

I know anecdotal evidence isn't everything, but I am telling you compounds(pretty much rows, T-bar one day, regular barbell the other and weighted chin ups) and then the one drop set curls at the end has produced growth for me. Like I say though, that drop set still encompasses 25-30 reps or so so it's not like I'm doing one set of 8-12 only.

Same for Tris too, compounds(Bench and OHP) and then just 1 set of iso, right now its push downs, and they have grown as well.

All I'm saying is if done right, you don't need a lot of iso sets. Drop sets allow you to stress muscle with high weight at beginning and then still get in reps towards end.

I realize I've repeated "three different exercises" a bit too many times.

Reason is, most of the guys with opposite views from mine seem to think that you can only do one or two exercises, lest you overtrain your biceps and they fade into nothingness.

While I do somewhat agree that doing, like, 8 different bis exercises is retarded, so is doing only 1.

Three (or four) is the perfect number, at least for myself, based on my own personal results and people who I coached or helped. Especially if done more than once a week.

But see how vehemently people rejected the idea, how do you think they would have reacted if i took it one step further and told them that once in a while you can even double the exercises without problems?
I was trying to have them understand my point, preventing as much autistic screeching as I could

This. Noticed massive improvements when I started doing this.

You asked me for a reason why one would not do 3 sets of biceps isolation after "indirect arm work". I provided two and in none of those two I mentioned overtraining or anything related to overtraining.

I merely suggest that if you in one day do fx:
3x5 weighted chin ups
5x10 yates rows @ 60% 1RM
3x10 supinated curls
Then maybe you don't absolutely need muh 3 biceps variations that you hold so ridiculously holy

What other small muscles should I isolate? Delts, rear delts, calves?

>No need to be a dick about it
I rephrased the absolutely retarded question in If my comment classifies as "being a dick about it", then you are surely new.

ANONYMOUS IS ONE PERSON

This doesn't in any way mean that hammer curls "won't activate your biceps very much"

Apologies, I tought you said you didn't see any growth anymore.

> what is reading comprehension

Well, by all means, keep doing it then. If it works right now, why change it until it stops.

My point trough out all this was that you could add a couple more exercises for both bis and tris, and you wouldn't have any problems with that. You'd still grow, maybe even more.

Different strokes for different folks, of course, some people react better to a higher volume than others.
But what I was trying to say is that flat out declaring that doing more than a couple sets of accessories is useless or damaging is bullshit.

>He doesn’t do 50lb standard curls

isnt 50lbs average for a normie on one handed curls?

You're not implying that "you're" is not both singular and plural, are you?

Hammer curls helped fix my tennis elbow.

And surely you're not implying that "faggot" is plural

there certainly is.i've been doing strict pullups for years.turns out i can easily curl 55lbs with one hand but i can only hammer curl 30. thats probably because hammer curl activates other muscles that concentration curls and pullups do not,at least on a big scale.

September is when school begins you retard.

My upper arms measure 13.5 inches, and I do 50 lbs hammer curls for reps. It's DYEL tier

Not sure if bait, but still

Yeah, absolutely. Actually, a common tip for people who have troubles getting their OHP up is doing more accessories.

An example about me (again):

When I first started out Candito's 6 weeks, my seated dumbbell OHP 3x6 RM was 28kg. Now, after 11 weeks, its 36kg.

All I did was:
- heavy db OHP
- moderately heavy lateral raises
- moderately heavy rear felt raises (don't know what they're called)
- scarecrow holds
- heavy as balls db shrugs

Once in a while, if I had time, I threw in front raises and facepulls.
This, three times a week, on upper body days.

Same for calves. You're still gonna have a somewhat hard time seeing them grow, they're maybe the muscle in the body that is mostly dependent on genetics.

I've actually noticed they get bigger the heavier you squat, same as forearms with bench press, but doing some calf work isn't gonna hurt

>Not sure if bait
Absolutely not, thank you

Good point.
Let me correct myself and say that you're both being huge faggots

Not a problem, bro. Go on and prosper

September is also the month were the chad/virgin meme were still funny

>44cm
Shit dude I think I could get there in like a month and I've been seriously fucking off with my training. 44cm is like, a baseline I feel like.

Do both mane, hammer curls good for the forearms and work a different part of the bicep than normal curls

maybe for a fat neckbeard with high bf%.for a fit man @ 12% bf 44cm is unreachable or very very rare.

>smolov
>russian bear routine
>Sheiko
>renaissance periodization
all 4 produce fantastic results without curl and tricep extension variations. shit like block pulls, deficit pulls, high bar squats, close grip bench, weighted chins, rows, incline bench etc are what powerlifters typically use. i can't think of any powerlifting program that prescribes more than one type of curl or tricep movement or any retarded shit like flyes or laterals, that's usually optional shit

>Sheiko
>without tricep extensions
lmao

>smolov
It is program just for one lift

>russian bear routine
It is meme-program from Pavel Tsatsouline

and also there is shit tons of pec flies in Sheiko's programs

Cheers

meant to type russian bench routine but i couldn't remember the name of it. its trash minimalism taken way too far

also said more than one type, wasn't shitting on curls and extensions in entirety. also yes some variations have flies but you know what the fuck i mean you cheeky faggot its like the only iso in any of those besides curls and extensions

Found the fit neofag

>THIS PROGRAMS HAVE NO ISOLATIONS!!!!
>OH, WAIT, THEY ACTUALLY HAVE
>BUT YOU STILL FAGGOT, NOT ME!!!!!
lmao at you, retard

jesus christ, you have to go back