Ages 30+ preferred

Any oldfags available to offer some mental health advice? Nothing major like depression, but how do I stop letting my lack of a career & personal success drag down my overall physical performance? I'm typically a pretty confident person and don't have testosterone issues but every two-three weeks it feels like I absolutely have to spend an entire day getting my shit back together mentally before touching a weight.

The idea of working a 9-5 has never been my cup of tea but when I watch everyone around me get balls deep in the rat race for 401ks and wedding rings, I start to wonder if I'm doing it wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/channel/UCeySKsmYOmHc6fz458OxSrA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_0qHRwU_sQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah_hcT9oPDw
google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/13/magic-mushrooms-reboot-brain-in-depressed-people-study
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Could some 30+ guys on Veeky Forums please provide me with mental health advice?

i'm there now. Takes a few days off to feel like a normal human being. I don't think it's you, I think it's the demanding labor that we do.
Companies are wearing us down, lowering salaries, requiring more work, no incentives--in essence don't really make you feel valued.
Never heard my parents/grandparents ever say shit like that in their day.
At this time in my grandfather's life he had two cars and was buying a house. I can't afford to even buy a house.
I don't think there's a good answer. It's the way things are, and no one is waking up to the abuse. The social and legal inequality between men and women also wears us men down. I could go on...

>but how do I stop letting my lack of a career & personal success drag down my overall physical performance?

If something in your life is bothering you, then fix it. If you make a plan, outline some goals, and actually follow them, then you'll feel better. Don't lie to yourself, if you're not putting in the effort to reach your goals you'll feel like shit. If you are taking active steps to reach a better position in life, you'll feel better knowing that you are working towards something you want.

Listen, you'll still have some down days, but it won't be nearly as bad, trust me. I'm 30 and I got my degree 2 years ago. I'm feeling the itch. I want a family, I want to be in my long term career already. I'm getting it together and it feels good to be on the path to reach my goals.

Peer pressure isn't just for high school. Twice a month is a little often for an existential crisis, though.

Meditate.

Take up a sport. I suggest judo or hunting. Something that lets you be violent.

Maybe try some lithium orotate as a mood stabilizer. Or get some more magnesium since that's good for depression.

I'm 35 served my country as infantry in my early 20s and came back wanting to be a police officer but anxiety issues kept me from being able to do it.
Went on a journey of drugs and sex with random rave girls in my mid 20s then tried to have a serious relationships which failed miserably because I didn't know how to do that.
I work in a factory doing a shit job I hate with niggers who sit in the toilet all day playing on their phones while no one ever says anything to them about it.
What I do to keep from killing myself is try to be the best at what i do, put 110% in and feel like that shit job is one I would actually enjoy.

Should have joined the Air Force.

Op here; I'm lurking while working but thanks for sharing fellas. Please keep contributing your sage wisdom so chumps like can see how adults actually contribute to discussions

The fuck is that picture supposed to mean anyway?

>protip:
Spirituality is real and so is the afterlife. You should know this by know

SpirItuAlitY iS ReaL AnD so is the afTerlIfe. YoU ShOuld knOw tHis by knOw

Find out what you want out of life, how you define "personal success", be it career success, peace of mind, whatever, and actively make an effort to reach those goals everyday. That way, you can go work out knowing you've been productive.

38 old fart. Watch your diet (keto nigga). Quit ciggies and booze (if you use them). Find a hobby thats intense (boxing mma bjj) as well as a self reflective hobby such as creative writing. Read more books get vitimin d.

Mods!

What the actual fuck? I want to greentext you, but damnit, everything you said is representative of the problem.

Over 30 dude here. Old fart, and oldfag. I don't have time for a decent response now, but if this is still alive tonight, OP, I'll come back to give you my thoughts.

FWIW, I don't have time because I was just clicking around while I am on a work call.

Where I work.

For money.

Because I'm a responsible adult.

>>>/9gag/

37 year fag, wife and 401k checking in.

You are a loser, shape up or jus an hero.

>bragging about a 401k

Walmart offers 401k’s

Yeah man, please come back and share. I'm finding all of these responses interesting.

Also if anyone has any questions ama. I'm currently 29yo.

I’m going with a short response of “yes, this,” because I am also over 30, at work, and browsing my phone while IT fixes one of my computers.

33 here.

Another ltr just went tits up, I have ZERO debt and a job than more than meets my financial needs with plenty of money left at the end of each month. Not fulfilling, but I'm convinced that career fulfillment is something of a meme anyway. A job is a job.

Most of my friends are married w/ kids by now, and they have no lives of their own, every moment is accounted for and is not for them. The ones who chased the big money and fabulous prizes have houses with 1000 more square feet than they need, literally whole sections of the house that go untouched, and trade in their new cars for other new cars every 2 years and are up to their eyeballs in debt.

I'll admit, the more grey hairs that creep in, the more I worry about my lack of living legacy. But modern family life seems like no picnic at the same time.

I don't want to displace my existential angst on my children just for them to become directionless wageslaves, out of some misguided sense of societal obligation, or for a cheap sense of purpose for myself.

>The idea of working a 9-5 has never been my cup of tea

It's nobody's cup of tea.

Why are you focusing on physical performance over career and personal success? Unless you are planning on going somewhere with physical performance (are you on an olympic or competitive sports team?) you are doing it very wrong.

I'm a performer and have athletic aspirations. People respond better to me on and off stage because I'm fit and since I'm literally aiming for gold medalist status in a particular sport I try to keep training up for as long and hard as I can.

I was "the man" in high school and early college. But for the past decade I've been on a spiritual path, growing up and shit after I discovered how phony bitches and a crew can be. A career never really seemed like a big deal during all this. Still doesn't. But sometimes I wonder.

I had a corporate job and a 401K. Blew it all on cocaine and females. I am now at Mom's, have been for over a year and have never felt better. I lost 60 lbs, am 12% body fat, about a 260 wilkes score, and tutoring English and math on the side. Also waiting on a response from the Navy to see if I can serve my country as having a felony is a disqualifying factor.

So are you a career performer then?

Or are you striving to be the best at some shit nobody cares about or will pay you for?

I'd like to turn my music into a career, sure, but I'm pretty disgusted with the music industry as a whole and am currently going through the pains of being an independent artist. It's a strange transitional stage cause I'm also switching genres. Kinda hard to call that a career when it's only getting my dick wet and not my mouth fed.

I'm not really striving for much. I'd like to get enough dosh to buy myself the mini-house my long term gf wants and enough equipment to get a small studio basement together. We're both working entry level positions and repairing our credit while getting our own businesses up & running.

Honestly man I'm just now starting to feel like a "complete" person within and would like to get up to speed outside of myself too. Hearing from all these other anons is helping put things in perspective for me.

Which spirituality and which afterlife are you talking about, I want to know just how crazy you are. Are we talking magic zombies or magic underwear and aliens?

>how do I stop letting my lack of a career & personal success drag down my overall physical performance

I'm 33, make little over 100k in a STEM field and I'm not super Veeky Forums but I'm in the gym putting in work... so basically the inverse of you. No matter what your position is in life the grass always appears greener on the other side of the fence... I wish my physical appearance was waaaaay different and I think about it a lot (especially since frequenting this board). Wish I was taller, thinner, stronger, etc... you and I are both predispositioned to focus on the things we lack and this is a mentally shitty place to be. I hate it, but I think its our natural state. We're just not wired up to constantly be thankful of the things we've achieved. If we pause and reflect, exercise of the will, we can gain appreciation for it but keeping this consciously takes discipline.

Yea, I put a lot of work in my career and it paid off, and I should be content or at least pleased with what I've accomplished... but I'm not. Literal incel, and I don't find myself sexually appealing or worthy of another persons affection or love. I don't love myself user and I don't know how to fix it. I know THAT I need to start loving myself... the WHAT isn't hard to figure out... but the how I have no idea. It's just a gutteral disgust I have of my own body and core personhood... so I work on it hoping it gets better because I have no idea what else to try, hoping at some point in the future I can give myself permission to be loved and love others. This mentality has been with me since I was a child, I never believed my parents were serious when they told me that they loved me.

So, all I'm saying is be thankful for what you've got and put in work to backfill the rest.

401k's are such a bad meme, I contribute NOTHING to my 401k... never have... never will.

basically this

I didn't graduate college until I was 29 and now I own my own house and have a nice body and bang sloots every weekend at 33

Its hard to be responsible, just fucking do it and stop being a faggot about it. Life is hard, and it gets harder.

You get more freedom and more money but the payment is more responsibility and more demands on your life. Get it out of your head that life will just magically click one day, that things will get easier... they won't. Theres always something else. Always some new bullshit down the road. Your car breaks, your dog dies, you have to buy a new water heater.

Once you accept the simple truth that life is suffering you can appreciate things like a 2 week vacation, or sex with a beautiful woman, or being able to sit on your ass buy whatever you want and have it delivered because you're rich and single.

that was beautiful user, saving this

great idea, user

You will definitely never regret this decision in the future

Tumblr pls go

>2008 happened
>all super oldfags abandoned retirement
>60+ outpace 20's demo in job gains every year
>401k basically lost 50%+ of value in 2008
>watching your retirement evaporate
>thinking this won't happen again
Liquidity is king now kiddo, you need to move your shit around and sometimes pull it totally out these days. Shit is all fucked. Talk shit all you want, I'm in control of where I'm invested WHEN I want to be invested (or not) though.

>I'd like to turn my music into a career

Do you have a fallback career? If not get one, music is one of those one in a million make it type deals. Have a backup plan if you are one of the millions who fail.

>I can time the market

Maybe the stupidest fucking thing I have ever seen on Veeky Forums

>music is one of those one in a million make it type deals
I dunno man, I think there are opportunities on social media that didn't exist before. Check this guy out...

m.youtube.com/channel/UCeySKsmYOmHc6fz458OxSrA

Love all his Simpsonwave and Spongebob stuff, and I've donated to him. Yea he's probably not a millionaire but he's definitely doing what he loves and making money.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_0qHRwU_sQ

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah_hcT9oPDw

Oh fuck off, nobody is claiming to be able to perfectly time the market. You can EASILY figure out geopolitics and trends though. What are you invested in financials like some fucking dipshit?

>I can see black swans

Go fuck yourself with a hammer you fucking retard.

Before you do that tell me when exactly the Saudis will quit controlling the supply of crude with US shale picking up market share every time they attempt to do so. Or when Tesla will drop like a fucking stone? How about when or if QE comes home to roost and sinks the fucking market you fucking pleb piece of shit.

not the OP but your post has convinced me.
Got any good ways to an hero that look like an accident?
Also need a good link to proper OHP form, I promised myself I'd hit 1/2/3/4 before I do it.

>magic zombies (?), magic underwear (?) and aliens

Sorry I can't discuss such a serious topic with an underaged poster

>fed raising interest rates as soon as king nigger is physically removed
>unemployment still shit
>jobless still shit
>saudi's sign agreement with BRICs to sell oil for gold
>china admitted to SDR basket
>china #1 producer AND consumer of gold
>gold backed Yuan incoming
>Russia allies with China
>proxy war in Syria
It's like you're not even paying attention to the world. Knowing the precise moment is for short term cucks... knowing the direction of the general trend and not falling for meme tier investments is where financial chads chill

>when I watch everyone around me get balls deep in the rat race for 401ks and wedding rings, I start to wonder if I'm doing it wrong.

Most of those people will end up fat, bald and divorced in their 50s. FUCK THEM. Follow your own intuition and see where it takes you. If you don't learn to trust yourself you'll be lost forever.

>how do I stop letting my lack of a career & personal success drag down my overall physical performance?

Fellow old fag here. The best advice I can give is to stop comparing yourself to other people and just focus on getting better in small ways everyday.
You probably already have some goals what you want to do, every day you have a set amount of free time, so spend some time everyday time working towards your goals. It is easy to do as long as you don't take too much work on and start small. As long as you stay consistent then small efforts will gradually add up and radically change your life.

Gotta diversify your assets nigga

Also not saying that investing in a 401k is an absolute necessity, but even if you lost half your savings in 2008, if you were willing to wait a few more years you would've regained it plus some once the markets rebounded (which so far they always do).

>dad tells me to invest 10% of every pay check into 401k from start of job so I won't notice how much is taken out from first check on
>do it, now I have a lot of money that I can't touch without a tax raping until I'm 62 or some shit
>I don't want to live to 62, don't want to live to 2018, but I can't quit shit job or an hero or parents will have to pay back my student loans
>Just want to take the tax beating, pay off loans and become a drifter for a while, but family would hate that.
>once either my loans or paid, or the business I invested in sells, I'm gonna do just that, buy an RV and just work temp jobs around the country traveling... or so I tell myself

>I predicted the past

Fuck right off.

Dude, thank you so much for sharing that. I sincerely hope the best for you and will take your reminder to heart.

*reminder to appreciate what I've got

Lads, I'm 32 is it too late to go for a degree now? Can it be done?

>magic zombies
Jesus
>magic underwear
Mormon
>aliens
Scientology

I should have realized you were a brainlet.

Go for it man, there were people in their late 30s in my graduating class. If it's what you want, then do it.

Best friend's mom got her law degree when she was 50 and started a new career. 32 is young.

I'm back

OK, my little tripcode friend. Being Veeky Forums, it is super tough to get through the Internet experts, the alternate lifestylers and the trolls, but I really want to try to help.

Look, you have the choice to do what you want in life. Personally, I kinda fell for the rat race. You don't have to do the corporate lifestyle, but a 40hr week is rare if you want to be successful by most measures. Just because you aren't working a corporate job doesn't mean that you aren't working...

Own business: high risk means the potential of high reward or total loss. Instead of 40hr weeks, 80hr weeks or more. You are your job 24/7.

Non-traditional: most likely need a scarce skill like a musician, athlete, consultant, etc. Also consumes your life whether or not you are successful, but especially if you want to be successful.

Hourly worker: Low stress / low pay. I used to work in industrial construction. Those guys begged for overtime. They were happiest working 60+ hours per week so they could pay their bills. I'm sure you know hourly workers who work multiple jobs to make ends meet.

There are so many other options, but you get my point. I think that for the person who wants to have a comfortable lifestyle without much effort even if it s low-end, then government work is about your best bet. May even be the only option.

1/3

Here was my path and influences:
- was brought up to never buy anything that I can't pay for. I don't have any debt.
- I don't pay people to do stuff that I can do myself. I mow my lawn, I clean my house, I take care of my own business. inb4 all the jackasses with all of the "time is money" bullshit. Money is money.
- started working at 13 and have worked continuously since. I paid for most of my own stuff because my family was poor. My dad was a drunk and took off. My mom worked hard and sacrificed for us. We qualified for government assistance, etc, but there was no way in fucking hell we would have ever accepted a dime from the government.
- I worked and paid my way through college. No loans! Damn, that is the biggest scam on Earth.
- FWIW, I got a Mechanical Engineering degree. My first job paid about $60k. That was more than either of my parents had ever made in their lives. I worked my ass off at that job.
- Now I am a Sales Engineer now on commission, so my salary varies. I currently make as little as $170k and as much as $300k.
- I still work hard, but nowhere near as hard as I did starting out. You have to pay your dues. Now I work about 50hr per week most weeks.
- I get 5 weeks vacation and 11 holidays per year.
- Somewhere along the line, I read "The Millionaire Next Door," which I highly recommend. Spoiler: essentially real millionaires have a million dollars because they don't spend their money on a bunch of trash.
- I still lift. I usually do it at night after everyone else goes to bed. I can stay up all night, but I am not a morning person. My brother is the opposite. He wakes up at 4:30 to lift before work.

2/3

So, all that to say: as corny as it sounds, by making no choice in how you want to live, you have put yourself in this situation. I'm not saying that you have to go for some whopper corporate job like me or owning your own business. What I am saying, though, is that if you want to work at a used bookstore for 35hr per week, then you need to embrace that lifestyle. You can't worry about your "lack of a career & personal success." You have to make a conscious choice to have less work time (and less money) in exchange for having more leisure time.

Here is my challenge: this weekend, you choose. Decide that 9-5 isn't your cup of tea, you are happy with less money if that means less stress, and start enjoying your free time. Alternatively, recognize that the "not your cup of tea" thing is a cop-out, and make the decision to roll up your sleeves and work for what you want. My advice would be to get to work.

Did that get to the root of what you were asking?

3/3

Thanks for this advice.

I was gonna troll and say everyone will think your an old creep. Not gonna lie You will def feel out of place but if you pick a smart degree and it will lead you to a better life it’s worth it my man. I didn’t go back till I was 22 finished uni in April and just landed an IT job last week. Starting with a pretty decent salary and am feeling 10x better about my life now.

>38
>drive a bus
>16 dollars an hour
>no benefits, i get obamacare
>tfw 13 hour shifts

>"time is money" bullshit. Money is money.
and time is worth far more than money.

The fact you keep having to come back to mentally fixing yourself means you have a problem you're just bottling up, and it keeps over spilling.
I'm gonna get slammed for this because drugs are never the answer, but
google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/13/magic-mushrooms-reboot-brain-in-depressed-people-study

Reset your mind, then work on the shit that's holding you back with renewed vigour, before you slip back in to the habit of self pity and despair over your situation.

Also, spend more time with people who make you happy, get an exercise buddy for at least one day a week, even if it's going to slow your lifts and you goof off or go for a run (so its cool if it's a chick).
Find a career you enjoy, don't judge your success on other people, but on how you feel.
A fit guy in his 30s can easily attract fit girls in their 20s, a married guy is stuck with what he's got.
Investment and banking plans are not the be all and end all, manage your own finances. Second richest guy I know made his first profit off buying a rusty old car, fixing it up, and selling it. Ended up with a portfolio of two dozen houses.

And stop asking for advice on Veeky Forums, you're a fucking adult.

Life is preparation for death.

You did not create yourself, you do not sustain the world, there is a power above you, a power that ordered you, that knew you before you were born, a power that flung you into this world out of a seeming nothingness.

This world is God's school and we are here to learn his virtues, his powers and his ways. Life is not about the "pursuit of our happiness" or the "pursuit of our power", in fact such pursuits will paradoxically lead to unhappiness and impotence. Yet, cultivating selflessness, chastity, honor, virtue and humility will lead to a peace that surpasses all understanding and true power indeed.

Everyone will encounter God and experience his eternal light upon death. If we love God and purify ourselves in this life then His light will be utmost beauty and bliss, for God is the most beautiful reality there is. If we hate God, if we ignore Him, if we are slaves to our passions, petty and egotistical, then His light will feel like a consuming fire and we will feel burdened by all the ill we caused ourselves and others.

What I say is not merely an opinion, it's a truth that dwells deep within us all, regardless of creed or nation. The prophets and sages have said this over and over, but somehow people still remain blind, deaf, and dumb.

I hope you found this post useful Veeky Forums
God bless you all and may you flee from your vices and find meaning in this life.

go drop some acid/shrooms depression cured!

Set your own goals and discover your own values. You obviously don't want to be a wagecuck.

Check out alternatives like homesteading , vandwellers and early retirement extreme. Find a direction and then do it fully for at least a year

>my opinions have never been made to endure adult-level scrutiny

>balls deep in the rat race for 401ks and wedding rings
hold on opbro. these are 2 very different things.

Thanks for coming back and sharing that chief. Screencapping you post.

I love how everyone on Veeky Forums is an engineer or software developer that all make over 100k by their 30’s

30 year old here. Going through the same thing. Keep reminding yourself of all the reasons you avoided 9-5 in the first place. Do you really want to be a debt slave until you're 70 at best?

Everyone goes through hard stretches. Don't think those normies you're seeing aren't also having problems. Their problems are just different than yours.

That was your takeaway? Can you read?

It wasn't even controversial. The point was to make a decision for yourself and be happy in your choice. There is no total escape from stress or responsibility, it just boils-down to what part of your life do you want to be stressful.

We're a lonely demo