Wrestling

What are your experiences with Wrestling?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KSIoHp97kSg
youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=MijLI4L0eIY
youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=3r8CLUZkS0A
youtube.com/watch?v=3r8CLUZkS0A
youtube.com/watch?v=MijLI4L0eIY
youtube.com/watch?v=R4H2a3O9_1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

won a meet with the people's elbow

Very fun, made a lot of bros there, faced my failures like a man. Good shit. Also, dislocated my shoulder during a match. Don't regret it, I poured my heart into that fight

Popped a solid hardon infront of someone’s face while I was sprawling their double leg and dick slapped him in his face still lost the match though

Pretty fun, when I started competing I went from powerlifting to wrestling to see how strong I was. Raw strength translated pretty well as I was able to get 2nd in my province on being a 1 trick pony in the 110+ kg, but as soon as I went against a guy who had enough strength to resist I lost out technically. Great full body exercise/training too.

Feels real gay. Found a lot of success in just gripping the shit out of the other guy. Lot of guys will dead fish and limp wrist to try and pull guard/area/zone depending on sport but I liked to get in close and once I was on latch like a spider monkey and start bending/stretching. Anything I could do to get them in an uncomfortable position.

Wrestled in high school. I'm 6ft 185lbs now, I'm pretty confident I could win almost any fight against someone who isn't completely jacked and far bigger than me. They'd get ready to box me and I'd go for an immediate take down and start wrapping my legs around them to get behind them and they wouldn't be able to do anything

how did you dislocate it?

Won every single meet because it was fun to wrestle while everyone watched
Did medicore in tournaments because i just didnt have the mental or physical capacity go go through that many matches as a first year wrestler.

>it was fun to wrestle while everyone watched
doesnt it make you nervous?

Yea that brain fog kicks in for sure never, realised it myself till later in the year. Also only competed one year as I then joined rugby.

Parents forced me to do it in elementary school and middle school. Could have been good but I didn't really try. At the very least I think it got me good at adreneline control and maintaining composure, which is useful. My older brother had the record for most consecutive wins (well over 100) in high school, and placed in the states/nationals all that shit. He stopped for a while after college, but now he's doing BJJ and winning tournaments so that's cool for him.

not unless you have the beta gene. True alphas get more focused in any situation like playing a close game of anything because they were born to be competitive

Yes, thats why I won even against really good wrestlers as well, I couldn't lose in front of the team and break my perfect record

The wrestling crowd is a fun group cheering and clapping are constant, Dominating some one in front of a crowd is exhilarating.

which take down would be best for a street fight?

how much rivalry is there between wrestlers at school/college level?

For me I felt none towards others (2nd in province guy) but the other guys had that whole thing going. I thunk it was just because I was there to see how strong I was and realized pretty quickly I was the strongest.

Teaches you too man up quick. It's all about instilling your will on another person, and physically dominating them by yourself while your team/coaches watch. Terrible on your body long term though. Had 3 knee surgeries and arthritis by my senior year

Not exactly wrestling but this was my first mma fight
won by decision despite being kicked in the balls at round 3

youtube.com/watch?v=KSIoHp97kSg

I think knee pick, because you dont risk getting kneed or breaking your knee while shooting in. Or bearhug.

>but the other guys had that whole thing going
you mean other guys having that feel towards you?

Honestly depends on the wrestlers/school. If you and another guy wrestle against each other several times a rivalry can form from the feelings of losing to the other guy letting down your team and ensuring you don't let it happen again

are people more likely to cheat when they're facing a rival like that?

Arm drag for days. Guy trys to grab you or throws a shitty haymaker at you, pass the arm, then you're behind them and bring them to the ground.

I was a wreslter in high school and college. It’s GOAT. One man vs one man. It take twice the conditioning to wrestle than any other sport.

The guys felt it towards eachother for sure and 2 guys felt it towards me, the guy in third place who could compete with first place realized the only thing stoping him from getting first was strength by simply by me domineering him with strength and the other dude who started the same you like me who frequently placed last and/or second last. It's a interesting dynamic to observe but I imagine to be very exciting to take part of if I did

You're more emotional on the mat and may be a little dirtier. It's hard to benefit from cheating though cause if they do a illegal move and fuck you up enough you can't wrestle they lose and your team gets the full 6 points from the match

I know bro. First match fucking killed it each time, by the 3rd match i was reconsidering my entire life and couldn't even grip anything properly.

>dad was successful wrestler
>get me into the sport while very young
>had a lot of fun and was good at it
>until when i was 13 y o and started popping erections
>got laughed at
>hid behind the building in the bushes crying until dad came to pick me up after practice
>was so ashamed but pretended like nothing
>went a few more times with similar issues
>coach had dad over for a talk one practice
>when practice was finished and we were in the car i told him i didn't want to wrestle anymore
>he didn't say a word during the car ride home
>barely even mentioned wrestling again
>had dad's trophies looming over me everyday in the living room

i basically broke his heart i think. mom left when i was 4 so it was only me and my dad together. then his only son turns out to be a raging faggot and not only that, one that couldn't even keep wrestling

we've never spoken about it either. don't think there's much to say tho :(

The guy took my leg for a single, I fell and try to break my fall with my hand behind my back. Retard reflexes m8 don't let that spook ya

Not him but only a tiny bit before the match. During, it's more adrenaline then anything

I wouldn't recommend the knee pick, unless you have the speed and the experience to do it right cause if they shoot their legs back you are gonna eat cement, if you are taller go for the double under hook and twist your body quickly while leaning back the weight change will through them off guard and because you are lifting while falling they can't get proper footing

Longest tournament I was at was like 8 hours they didn't want me to leave it was terrible. I just figured every one was that way until one of the dude ruined the illusion by telling me it only happens in the first year and sometimes the second. Then I just felt like a goon and couldn't not think about my disadvantage haha

With that shit tier kicking technique it was bound to happen.
Seriously though, this looked awful - how long have you and your opponent been training?

Do you suck cock on the reg now?

I had been training for about a year but very inconsistently.

wrestled freshman soph year of high school. I loved it but I decided I loved drugs better at the time....

Here's the thing user, your dad has no way to connect to you. Sounds like wrestling took up a large chunk of his life and him putting you through it was a way for him to connect to you, like how my dad put me through welding and with you being a man lover and preferring to wrestling in bed just created a bigger disconnect. If you want to connect with him more all you have to do is listen to some of his stories about when he was younger, he wants to connect with you, you're all he has :'(

imma let you finish but greco roman is superior

Pretty sure this is what we are all talking about. Get off the T.V.

A torn lcl, 2 torn ankles and finally six concussions made me retire after my sophomore year in college. This sport took a ton of blood sweat and many tears from me,but I wouldn’t trade my experience for anything I can honestly can say I wouldn’t be the person I am today if I would have never wrestled. I just wish I could of kept going but I had to retire since I’ve had two separate seizures on the mat and couldn’t stand putting my parents through another one. Wrestling is more than just a sport it’s a lifestyle and only wrestlers will truly understand this
Please upboat, comment, rate and subscribe

This is fairly accurate, I wouldn't say it's a lifestyle but it will change your life. If you decide to go into this OP enjoy it, talk to other competitors build bridges, just like a lot of other sports there's a big social aspect to it and you should enjoy it. Go in to win and learn all that you can.

What about you OP, what do you want to hear do you have any experiences? Or are you thinking of making some?

Are you wrestling for
D1: Iowa, Penn State, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Minnesota or OK or OK-State?
D2: Upper Iowa, St. Cloud St or MSU Mankato
D3: Wartburg or Augsburg?

If none of these, get gud

Ah well, that explains a lot.
I've been training for like 5 years now, but never had a fight, so I'm probably not the one to judge.

My country doesn't have a wrestling tradition in universities. I play water polo though. C-close enough.

>training for like 5 years now, but never had a fight

What a waste user, what's stopping you?

I live in Aus, and wrestling isn't a thing you can do in school, unless you find a club.
Im halfway through uni and am interested in a grappling based sport.
Wrestling seems fun, but so does BJJ.
Is it possible to pick up wrestling when youre >21?

If you're in good shape yes, if you're out of shape you will struggle.
BJJ and wrestling are very different though, so make sure you know what you want to go for.

Probably doesnt want cauliflower ears which is fair

lol one fight won't give him cauliflower ears

Yea wrestling is one you can pick up later in your life it's fine.

I honestly couldnt here a thing from the sidelines when I would wrestle.

No but great way to get it started as he gets addicted, but who knows he might not be predisposed to them

Pretty shitty, but then again I was out of shape and lacked commitment. Also didn't help that no one cleaned the mats and half the team contracted ringworm. Rugby ended up being my sport in college though.

what position in rugby?

Pussy

I only ever trained at the university sports club (muay thai), which didn't schedule fights with others.
Never really felt the need to have a fight either, as I'm mostly in it for the cardio and fun.
Someday I'll try, though.

Never really learned all of the tactics, pretty much only good because of my strength. Good story about first match:

>super pumped up
>adrenaline like crazy
>wrestling bros are doing that retarded shit where they shake your arms for you to loosen you up a bit
>finally its time for my match
>walk to ring
>see opponent, not too impressive, maybe bulky
>my heart is pumping like crazy
>we stand off, match begins
>he reaches out for me, I grab his wrist, pull him nearly a foot off the ground and slam him hard as fuck onto his back
>he starts crying, I place a single hand gently on his chest to get pin and feel guilty as fuck
>guy wasn't bulky-strong, he was just some fat beaner kid who got into my weight class with half my muscle
>>ref: jeeze, take it easy, kid
>I walk off with the win, my head bowed in shame

I lost in a few weekends later for the first time to some guy that actually knew the tactics and was well trained, got a slight boxers fracture before the losing match too. It sounds like I was good, but the only reason that was my first time losing is that I only showed up to three or four tournaments (or whatever the fuck they were called). Overall was a good experience. Had a downy on our team, and a crazy samoan that was almost twice my size but always wanted to spar with me. Also one dude got the nickname "woody" 'cause it looked like he had a boner before he went out to his match (against a guy, of course).

I was forward utility so mostly blindside flanker or tighthead prop.

6 years of folkstyle, 4 years of freestyle/greco-roman, 2 years of jude/bjj. Folkstyle is the only time I competed in HS, ended at 171 my senior year.

I like suicide rolls, slidebys, and oklahomas. I wish my hip tosses, jap wizzers, lateral drops, and fireman's carries were better.

I'm pretty mid range. Been working out for about a year. Played a bit a sport, probably not really athletic though.
Seems to me that wrestling is a lot more of a 'sport', where BJJ has more focus on being a martial art. Is that right?
Other than obviously they have different actual styles of grappling.

oh shit I also broke my collarbone twice, and fucked up my back with a cartilage tear, and have really bad knees now from it though. Also got mat herpes from a dude.

BJJ has a less strict training schedule. Basically you make your own schedule so it's easier to adjust to your work/study or whatever you got going on.
Wrestling is a lot more strict when it comes to that.

Maybe ill do better if i try again in uni.
Honestly I remember at city tournament, me and some other guys lost on purpose so the torment would stop. It was a 2 day tournament and by the second day we were just fucked.
The matches dont take their toll on you as much as the waiting. Siting down in uncomfortable bleachers for hours thinking hkw you're gonna wrestle in your next match. Every time you leave you gotta climb down a mountain of parents, bags and trash then climb right back up. Just thinking about wrestling over and over again for hours it just fucks with your head.

Im doing bjj now and its ok, but honestly you dont get to be as rough and you never really train standing up while is gay. I wish i could start taking people down again but all our matches start on the floor.

dont you get lots of qts hitting on you in those wait times?

You should drop off your gym. Here in Brazil, we always start fighting standing uo and fuck up our backs doing takedowns. You're probably in one of those commercial gyms right?

Your story just made me feel like starting wrestling. Sounds cool as hell.

Kek no
I remember one guy in our team always messed around with this girl, but that was their usual behavior tournament or not
It's actually in my college and I go there for free so im not complaining. Ive learned a lot about fighting on the ground but if I haven't wrestled and only took that class, i wouldnt be confident in my stand up at all.
When i used to go to an actual gym our instructor was a judo black belt so he taught us some things but compared to actually wrestling it was useless

My coach would have beat my fucking ass if I ever lost on purpose. I mean they beat the shit out us anyway, but they would have made it hell.

It's definitely much more difficult to find a club or place that teaches wrestling outside of high school/college. BJJ is the big thing now, so it's everywhere.

That said, wrestlers generally have more experience and reflex with how to handle their position and situation compared to BJJ guys. It's a rougher, grittier, more instinctive sport compared to BJJ.

Dont get me wrong i fucking loved it. Especially in meets, its just 1 arena with everyone watching you and qts cheering. Then after your match ends you can barely breathe and qts are telling you you did great.
But fuck tournaments. Especially as a first year wrestler, you're gonna feel like shit.

whats the difference between meets and tournaments

so you were terrible?

virgin by choice.
we have stuff we do together and some similar interests. we lift, do woodworking, and go to rally races. i just think he would've prefered a normal son you know. my cousins who are a fewyears older are starting to get married and things like that now, and it's obvious dad would've wanted that kind of life for himself (and for me too no doubt).
i don't have the balls to speak to him about any of that tho. think there's a silent understanding that we're not supposed to.

Meet theres one mat, 2 schools and every weight class faces each other one by one while everyone watches
Tournaments have like 6 mats, 5-20 schools and the matches are just a shitfest.

As a wrestler that has sparred with a lot of BJJ guys, they always say we lead with our heads and bridge out of EVERYTHING and never gas haha.

Do wrestling and weightlifting have any carryover value to each other?

It's gladiator shit, pretty epic. Our schools wrestling program was huge, 100+ kids all tryin to get varsity, went to state every year. Our home meets were 300+ crowds in a school of under 1500.

I think the only time I felt more adrenaline was running from the cops on foot. Having 300 people watching you and some other guy beat the ever loving shit out of each other is some primal shit.

anyone itt ever tried an illegal move in a match or had one attempted on you?

After the first tournament I gAve up with bleachers and stayed ring side, after watching some dude bail down half a set.

Since I started BJJ everyone just thinks im some meathead wrestler that dominates due to strength, one time after a match somebody told me it feels like hes trying to wrestle hulk, but the truth is wrestlers are just really good at putting their weight on you and control. Theres no magic wrestling training that gives you super strength.
But im pretty jacked so that doesn't help their view either.
Lucky. I only had 2 training partners and they weren't even in my weight class. Our team was small as fuck so a lot of our weight classes weren't even filled.
But yeah meets are epic. The only time I ever felt like I have a place in the world was when people cheered my name.

I guess it was technically illegal, but whenever I threw people on their backs with an oklahoma I'd bruise my rib skin cause I'd grab it so hard to crush their throat in the headlock. Torso technically isn't a limb so the hold is legal, but choking is illegal. The ref can't hear them scream if they can't breathe so its w/e. 5 ppl tried to tap out my senior year on me lol.

Our coaches also had us grab that tendon behind the knee for takedowns. Not technically illegal I guess but not nice. We also did "bowling ball" grip headlocks where you grab the chin/jawbone instead of the throat and stick your three fingers up into their chin neck while holding the top of their head like a football. Shit was kinda nasty.

Help me get a bit more into shape. During practice someone tried to fireman carry or whatever it's called and he fucked up bad. Bent his leg in an unatural way, looked absolutely horrid. All you heard was a thump of someone falling followed by screams of pain. Tough shit man

Because of my bjj background i was very tough on top. I didnt full on choke people, but i could hear them having trouble breathing because of some holds i put them in and sometimes refs would notice that and tell me to go easy.

>Since I started BJJ everyone just thinks im some meathead wrestler that dominates due to strength, one time after a match somebody told me it feels like hes trying to wrestle hulk, but the truth is wrestlers are just really good at putting their weight on you and control. Theres no magic wrestling training that gives you super strength.

Ha yeah. Some east european guys I wrestled said we grappled like rhinos and thought that leading with your forehead was dirty af and too rough. In MMA they get also said we put all our weight right on their chest and its like having an anchor there when they are down. They get worn out because they don't know how to work with weight/leverage I think. They also aren't really good at hand fighting usually in my experience so their grip strength is shit.

Man, maybe it was the fatigue but you telegraph that left hand a lot. Can we see the other rounds?

Yeah since we are used to pinning wrestlers when it comes to non wrestlers we just sort of overdo it. Sort of like if you pick up a 100kg bar over amd over again but one day the bar weighs 20kg, its just gonna fly up.
Also yeah wrestling clinch just dominates the clinch of most bjj fighters and if its no gi it usually dominates judokas as well.

I was tired af never knew a match could be this exhausting
the other rounds:
youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=MijLI4L0eIY
youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=3r8CLUZkS0A

I was tired af never knew a match could be this exhausting
the other rounds:
youtube.com/watch?v=3r8CLUZkS0A
youtube.com/watch?v=MijLI4L0eIY

Fatigue is a killer, man. My first fight went the distance and I didn't even feel it because I was trying to save energy the whole time, second one I went all out in the beginning thinking I had the gas tank to keep it up and was spent by the second half of the second round. I've had three more fights since and did much better in all of them, it's all in the focus, because fatigue will break your technique down and that's where all the mistakes show so grossly.

Those aren't working links tho

Breaking the fuck out of a kid's nose with a crossface and getting to pin him due to shitty officiating

youtube layout is a mess was trying to get the links from my creator page, i think these work now and yeah fatigue sucks, we all start with a perfect gameplan but that goes down the shitter as soon as we get tired

check out /asp/ for mma/wrestling threads once in awhile
youtube.com/watch?v=R4H2a3O9_1s

I used to visit /asp/ a while ago, but it seems like its been taken over by the "sport" of pro "wrestling" so i dont bother

I don't know what the fuck moot was thinking when he introduced WWE to asp. Seriously that guy must hate sports, theres no other reason to do that bullshit

Huge carryover. Muscular endurance is key in wrestling along with strength.

What about the other way? Will wrestling make me a better weightlifter?