Are Deadlifts as good as people say?

I have never done a Deadlift in my life

Are Deadlifts as good as people say?
What is so good about them?

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BYVhTgBBSgD/?taken-by=robertkingshott
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21659894
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they get memed for and against here. virgin chinks deadlift all the fucking time but so do the strongest people around. they're good for building strength.

If you don't want to get injured either playing a sport or just doing outdoor tasks, add muscle mass to your posterior chain, and build overall body strength and awareness you should do some kind of deadlift. This applies to pretty much everybody.

I can't seem to do them right. Every time I try, I end up feeling pain in my lower back.

Yes they are good. Use lots of muscles. Develop good booty. Must not be done more than 2-3x per week to avoid CNS rape. Learn them properly as to not get injured. Don't get egotistical and go too heavy. That is all.

They feel really good

You feel like a beast after crushing your PR

I hate them. It's a meme lift, to compress your spine and turn you into a manlet. It's easier for people lower to the ground.

are you making sure the bar is stuck to your body at all points in the lift? dont try to lift the bar in front of you, it should be sliding up your shins then thighs

Squats are worse

The trick is to do the second half of the movement and you're back to your normal height.

i used to be a real deadlift advocate: they use a huge amount of musculature at a relatively high weight (compared to your other lifts) but i quickly realised if you dont enjoy it, fuck it, and replaced them with rack pulls and havent looked back

?

Its honestly the best exercise you can do.

powerlifters lose between 0.5 and 2 inches of height throughout their career retard.

Unless you're 6'6", fuuuck spinal compression.

source?

I prefer RDL’s

Make sure your hips are correctly aligned

I'm 35 y-o and been lifting for 7 years or so.
I started to deadlift only about 2 years ago.
They are really good. Squat on the other hand... meh go light with lots of reps

not worth the risk

>mfw I am actually 6'6 and wouldn't mind being at least a couple inches shorter.

Both squats and deadlifts are must-do exercises for me. Heavy deadlifts keep back pain away for me. For reference I am 5'10", 170# and 1RM well north of 405.

Can't find the infographic. It's a compilation of a bunch of comments from powerlifters on T nation forums, bodybuilding.com, etc and the general consensus is if you compress your spine with squats and deads you can expect to lose up to 3 inches in height, usually permanently if it's done before age 25.

Lock your upper body, flex your lats, and get sum HIP DRAHVE

They're primarily limited by grip, which makes them kind of dumb. A lot of people have trouble flexing their hips enough to get in a starting position for conventional deads from the floor, which makes them a little more dumb.

Let's be honest, no one in Veeky Forums lifts heavy enough for their spines to compress.

contrary, most people are weak, so even 200lbs is enough to compress most.

In case any inexperienced lifter is reading this, it's wrong, so don't take it seriously.

So no source just a bunch of fucks online who never knew how tall they were to begin with

Been lifting 10 years, haven't lost any height. At most you should lose like a cm, which you'd lose after getting up and walking around for the day anyway, and when you sleep it comes back. Now maybe if we're talking constant 1 RMs and back spinal back injuries then sure, could be permanent.

I'm actually surprised you've lost nothing over ten years. Not so much about the lifting, just that age usually takes a toll on peoples height eventually.

how is that wrong? you start with the bar over mid foot and drag it up alongside your body

if the bar is in front of your mid foot when you start and you pull it up away from your body youre just asking to fuck up your lower back

It's basically a peer reviewed study

No it isnt

>chinks
woah woah woah. let's put and end to the casual racism on the 'ch0n, mmk buddy?

no you gooks ruin the gym

Not as bad as the pajeet lanklet squad or the Haitian dudes in sandals

Also
Shut up Woo

why? because you can't keep up? are we invading your safe space? are you triggered?

is this the best you've got lee

Lol most ppls CNS is going to be taxed doing them any more than once a week if they're lifting heavy on other days.

What a detailed opinion thx

>turn you into a manlet
You were already a manlet

If you're not maxing, deadlifts aren't really that much more stressful than other lifts. Plenty of people do them multiple times a week.

nah I save my best for the gym, cracker

He's either:

A.) not lifting heavy/compound

B.) A moron who doesn't pay attention to things.

I'm going with B.

Right but you shouldn't be doing them in workouts 2-3 a week with other big lifts.

does this include front squats?

i've never understood cracker as an insult

how is it supposed to be degrading? i guess there are any good racial slurrs against white people since being white is good

captcha: plantation campo

Forreal tho why do asians seem to love Oly/powerlifting???? Is it cultural?

Having lived in the South I didn't run into this phenomenon until the last year or so when more of them seem to have invaded/migrated down here. They all lift heavy, even the incel dyels in glasses and skechers. What gives???

>Also they're rude as fuck generally

Again, lotta people do great on exactly that. The big issue with deadlifts isn't so much that they're taxing (although they are if you push for maxes - its one of the lifts with the biggest gap in stress and performance between a regular hard set and a true max) as it is that the current generation of lifters have atrocious GPP/work capacity/recovery.

because east asian culture has a thing against fat people/ people who are big (muscular falls under this category) so they usually just train for strength and not size

Just go back and enjoy your privilege of having a high trust high iq people. Why Whitey always gotalta rub it in that they is better!

What can you do to get better recovery?

lmao just realized it was an asian guy

anyone else have trouble with the barbell hitting your dick on the way up?

Aside from food and sleep, its mostly a matter of building your workload/density up over time and making sure you're doing a decent bit of cardio and conditioning.

The latter bit is where a lot of people fall down. It used to be a lot less necessary when day to day life meant doing a bunch of physical activity.

Aren't you fucking up a recover day by doing cardio?

No. Light cardio is beneficial for recovery thanks to the increased bloodflow (and decreased soreness, least as far as the lower body goes - unless you've got access to an airdyne or similar).

Thanks bro!

i deadlift 8 bbcs daily my niggas

yeah it happens to me, i just wear compression shorts and ignore it

They seem to be more adept at technical activities. Instead of sports or visual arts they do oly lifting and Starcraft, or shit like archery and pistol-shooting

the very existence of this thread is the reason why i'll stop visiting this shithole

Whenever I deadlift my shins get cut up and bleed heavily, often to the point where I have to quit early to avoid getting blood on the bar.
I wear fairly thick sweatpants and it doesn't seem to help, especially since the ghetto bar at my gym has sharp knurling exactly where my shins touch it.
Will my shins ever adapt to this or will I have to start wearing high socks like a queer?

see u tomorrow bro
and the next day, and the next day...

STICK YOUR ASS OUT

try wearing shin pads?

Stick your butt out and straighten your back. It'll still happen at times, but not as bad.

the bar is supposed to move up your legs, youre not supposed to pull them up against your shins to the point of drawing blood dumb ass

b-but George Leeman

not always about posture, I can never do it properly using a bar so just use the trap bar instead

There is literally no reason to ever do them except for professional ones. Result wise you can achieve the same benefits with other exercises, that are safer, more effective and have a far lower chance of injury.

As you can imagine fitness has a massive 'bro' culture led by idiocy and showing off. Only testosterone fed morons could believe that literally one of the most dangerous types of lifting you could ever do is a great sign of progress right up to they snap their shit or cause other irreversible damage.

bait

>Result wise you can achieve the same benefits with other exercises, that are safer, more effective and have a far lower chance of injury.
Such as? People always say this without providing examples

>responding to bait
why

All right, since people keep taking this deadlift bait daily, I thought I would provide an unbiased overview of the exercise.

Pros:

1. It lends itself very well to performing low reps, which makes it useful for developing maximal strength and power. Qualities that are needed in many sports.

2. Because it involves so much total muscle and good leverage one can work up to handling some extremely heavy poundages. This means that it's much easier to make continued progress on the deadlift compared to smaller exercises. A lying leg curl for example is great for training the hamstrings if viewed in a vacuum. But training doesn't happen in a vacuum. The princple of Progressive Overload cannot be violated if you want to see gains. Adding 10 kgs to your 40 kg leg curl, is way harder than adding 10 kgs to your 120 kg deadlift. And while the isolation exercise quickly stalls, the deadlift can be progressed for literally years. And with progress comes gains.

Cons:

1. It is not the #1 exercise for any individual muscle group involved. You will always be able to find a smaller exercise that hits a certain muscle harder/better.

2. Anecdotally as you become stronger, the deadlift has a tendency to take more out of you than it gives back. Whether this is because of the deadstop concentric or due to extreme grip challenge is unknown.

Regarding injury risk:

The number one cause of injuries (aside from having had a previous injury of the same kind) is a too rapid increase in training load. "Load" here can mean both volume and intensity. Basically if you go from doing a little to doing a lot too quickly, this is where people get hurt. This applies to ALL exercises, which means that if people hurt themselves more doing deadlifts than doing pull-ups it most likely has more to do with how they approach the exercise than it has to do with the exercise itself.

cont.

The distance you pull from is dictated by the diameter of the plates and is therefore completely arbitrary. If you're doing the exercise to achieve a certain training effect, and not because it's a competition, it's very likely that you need to either elevate the bar or yourself to get the same training effect as somebody else. People have different anthropometry and the plates' don't care about that fact.

That being said, among the scientific community there's actually far from a concensus on whether it's dangerous or not to lift with a rounded back. I'd say that physios are split 50/50 on this matter. Anecdotally though, it's probably better to be safe than sorry, and try to do a proper hip hinge while maintaining a neutral lordosis. Although note that "neutral" is more of a range than an absolute.

same

Only post worth a damn in this shit thread

>being enough of a manlet for an inch of height to matter
lmao

It's not proven or anything, but the best explanation I've ever heard for the deadlift beating people up so much has to do with how grind-friendly it is:

It's a long lift involving a lot of muscle mass, but the real killer on a max deadlift is just how damn long it can take at the sticking point where you're grinding at full output. This is also why isometric versions of a lift, which mimic the same sort of thing, tend to wreck people far worse than the regular version.

Combine that with forearms and lower back being, for whatever reason, two of the muscle groups that tend to show fatigue the most (including systemic fatigue, fuck knows why. You can pretty much use grip strength as a stand-in for HRV or other fancy monitoring tech - that's how closely it tracks to recovery) and you have something that can really fuck up the rest of your week.

You have to kind of “screw” yourself into position such that, as you feel on the verge of starting the lift (your force on th bar increases to just under the force needed to start lifting it), your hamstrings are tight, back is straight and shoulders are back.

Diddylifts
instagram.com/p/BYVhTgBBSgD/?taken-by=robertkingshott

A deadlift with proper form is one of the best things you can do to your body. A deadlift with improper form (and we're talking REALLY improper) is just... no... don't do that...

Work on your form. Say what you will about Starting Strength, but the deadlift setup there is golden. Also, just look stuff up on the internet.

deadlifts is good for when you activate your traps and then your quads into your feet. Its also very good for when your shoulders get to feel the wegitht and you push in the chest

Use hex bar. Much less dangerous for your lower back, slightly lower range of motion but it as I said, safer and also allows for more explosive strength gain.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21659894

From the abstract:
'The results demonstrate that the choice of barbell used to perform the deadlift has a significant effect on a range of kinematic and kinetic variables. The enhanced mechanical stimulus obtained with the hexagonal barbell suggests that in general the HBD is a more effective exercise than the SBD.'

I switched and haven't looked back (I'm 6'2 and brother and father have both thrown their back).

I only do snatch grip DL. Cool?

fucking nigger

DROP YOUR DICK
DOWN BETWEEN YOUR KNEES

They were my fav lift I was able to do 405 for reps after a year. Then I snapped my lowerback. I couldn't sit without pain for a year. They aren't important if you only care about aesthetics but I still recommend them

It's my favourite lift after decline bench, so yes.

what could you possibly like about decline bench its fucking terrifying

I can't do deadlift my back is just too iffy and I can't perform it without hurting it.

I started doing heavy farmers walks as an alternative..

Is there anything else I can do?

Have you tried Jefferson deadlifts?

They've got less hamstring and lower back work in them compared to conventional but as a result of the weight being right on your center of gravity your back just feels fantastic during/after.

This user sounds like he's compensating for his short-comings.

I havent.. they looked gay.. ill give it a try thanks

BBC IN THE BUTTCHEEKS BOYS

That's fine.

What's wrong with your back?

>What is so good about them?

Makes you strong.

Makes your back, glutes, forearms, traps and hamstrings swole.