Are sumo wrestlers fit?

obviously they're fat, but are they still fit and therefore exempt from all fph judgement?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GUrzBKVvvDY
youtube.com/watch?v=l1KnQI54_sA
youtube.com/watch?v=dW7n2UP60bk
youtube.com/watch?v=lUvEZK24JW4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_wrestling#Match_rules
youtube.com/watch?v=SUxkkiwxb3I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no they gas after 5 second literally and they die early because of obesity

They train with being at that weight in mind.
Sumo is a sport and tradition and therefore exempt from fph.
They're fit to compete in sumo wrestling.

Some sumos are pretty muscular
I forget their names cuz they're in chong but yea
Sumo itself looks like it probably takes a lot of strength

They are kinda both. They're fat AF, but at the same time they're still much better off than the average fatty because they actually work out a lot. There's a lot of muscle in there too, it's just hidden by the far.

youtube.com/watch?v=GUrzBKVvvDY

i suppose "fit" needs to be qualified. they're fit for sumo wrestling, not so fit for high jump or probably cardiovascular health

youtube.com/watch?v=l1KnQI54_sA

They where not alwys fat...

I bet if some ex-sumo wrestler created a gym with an emphasis on strength training AND getting fat, they'd wreck.

But to answer your question, no, they aren't fit at all. They don't do cardio or strength training. Their training is basically two components: technique and getting fat.

>probably cardiovascular health
sumo wrestlers train a shit ton of hours every day. saying they don't have cardiovascular health is ridiculous

user...
you can get strong without ever lifting a fucking barbel or stepping into a gym

>They don't do strength training
Wha what? They do, they do a lot.

there's a reason they look like they do you dingus. it's not like nobody ever thought "hey maybe i would be a better sumo wrestler if i did another routine"

I'm intrigued. In these old photos they all seemed pretty muscular and lean, except a few cases.

What happened? Maybe some real big fatso started doing sumo and was wrecking every opponent, so everyone kind of started doing the same thing, getting fatter so the opponent would have a harder time pushing him?

user
people here think the only way you can gain strength is by going to a gym and powerlifting
i shit you not

imo yes but then again I consider strongmen and shws in sports fit.

>but are they still fit
*breathes in*
WHEEEEEEEEZE
*breaths in harder*
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
>AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

*coughs*

bless you

You NEED physical resistance to gain muscle mass unless you're /fraud/, and even then.
Hard manual labour might do it but weightlifting is much better since it's in a controlled fashion.

there are no weight classes in sumo wrestling

Is a lineman fat too?

youtube.com/watch?v=dW7n2UP60bk

This photos are quite old, more than 100 years old, maybe even Meiji era or earlier.
Professional Sumo probably did not exist as today, nor food was as cheap as today, so these man probably were farmers, labourers or soldiers, maybe in the older photos even samurai practicing sumo in local tournaments for fun. Really fat man would be rare at the time....

Yes, that I realize. What has me wondering is how and when people decided they had to get fuckhuge like this. Was it a conscious decision by someone, that decided to blow the adversaries away, or just the natural evolution of a sport where you have to push the other guy and being heavier is just the best way to make it harder?
Or maybe some sort of tradition shit, I don't know.
I feel like a wrestler with some 40kg less would be better suited, more agile, nimble, more breath. But then again, I know jack about sumo in general

hes so fucking cheerful i love that guy

Being fat and heavy isn't enough. If your opponent is also fat and heavy, you have to be crazy strong to push him around.

Imagine if you weigh 400 lbs, but you can still sprint, go up and down stairs, and squat 450 lbs. For a normal dude that might mean you can squat 650 lbs if you factor in excess body weight. That's no joke. Just carrying around the body weight is a workout.

They are the only exception, yes.

Eat an absolute shit ton but also train until they bleed, they are lumberjack aesthetics on steroids.

Wrestling and sumo might feel similar, but they really aren't. Sumo is much more about momentum in the first charge and applying certain holds and throws while in an upperbody clinch.Though the lighter and more agile sumo can still win and does so often enough, a wrestler would get blown the fuck out of a ring.

Watch this. It's quite entertaining.
youtube.com/watch?v=lUvEZK24JW4

Sumo has very simple rules. You win if your oponents steps out of the circle of if he touches any part that is not the sole of the foot on the ground. And as said, there are no weight classes. So weight is a huge advantage, and while sumo wrestlers are strong, getting extremely heavy becoming fat is easier than doing so becomin extremely muscular. A big belly also lowers you center of gravity, and since Sumo does not require throws nor submissions nor locks to win, being fat helps one achieve victory.

Whether it was conscious decision or natural evolution, I don't know, but it seems related to the fat that professiona Sumo wrestles can afford and have the means to become fat while still strong. Mongolian wresting has very similar rules, and they still have the "old Sumo" style body.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_wrestling#Match_rules

But Mongolia has a much smaller population (3 milllion X 127 million Japanese), the sport does not seem to pay as much as Sumo, there must not be many full time professional wrestlers, the Mongols still do a lot of manual / physical labor, so becoming that fat would be a burden to day to day life (imagine a Sumo wrestler mounting one of those small Mongolian horses). So the sport is in similar natural conditions of the old Sumo and the wrestlers remained fit.

Also, since Sumo pays more, and rules are similar, fat Mongolian wrestler can earn more becoming professional Sumo wrestlers in Japan as many actually did.

What about bodyweight senpai

sickening core on the left most

are you a sumo enthusiast or do you practice it yourself?

i think user is asking when historically we saw sumo wrestlers turn from pretty fit all around dudes to fat but really good at sumo.

my question- are we going to see a muscular guy break the mold soon?

I got drunk by myself while watching this clip/tournament, thanks for the suggestion. bump for sumo goodfeels

>are we going to see a muscular guy break the mold soon?

I'm gonna assume you mean lean & muscular, since these guys are fucking muscular as it is. But no I don't think so. The way the sports work having a low center of gravity is a tremendous advantage. And a fat guy will always have a lower center of gravity than a lean muscular guy. So in the highest levels of the sport, where every advantage counts, I don't think you'll ever see a lean guy.

There are lean professionals, though, Check out Takanoyama, a Czech ex-judoka.

youtube.com/watch?v=SUxkkiwxb3I

Cheers mate.

Bumping good thread for great justice

Sumobro, mind telling us something more? Anything you want. It's an interesting subject that's seldom talked about, and it's nice seeing somebody knowledgeable talk about something they're passionate about

I saw a documentary about sumo training once. They train all day and binge eat at night, and somehow manage to keep intramuscular fat to a minimum. The vast majority of the fat is subcutaneous.

All jokes aside, that basically started happening in the 60s when there was finally enough food to actually feed them that much. There's some footage of sumo competitors from the immediate post-war years out there and they're small by the standards of regular modern people let alone todays sumos.

But then, half the fucking population was clinically malnourished at that point.

That's wrong though, they do train strength with conventional barbell compounds.

>powerlifting
That doesn't mean what you think it means. Powerlifters train to compete in powerlifting. People who train bench squat and deaflift aren't necessarily powerlifters.
Sumo wrestlers do strength train with barbells though.

Even without barbell lifting, when your technique work is trying to manhandle 300+lb blobs and your supplementary training is bodyweight movements at that kind of size you're going to get strong or die in the attempt.

Fit as fuck.

I met byamba in my local gym once. Guy is no fucking joke. With a running start I couldon't budge him an inch. And he was so fast he could make you miss whenever he wanted.

Who would win in a shoving contest. Top tier sumo wrestler or a starting offensive guard from the nfl?

Probably sumo wrestler in their squat.