How?

Veeky Forums is filled with a lot of people who are extremely and impressively knowledgable about history (and also highly intelligent).

It ranges from classical civilization to european and american history. It's not just the events and timelines, but cultural and lexical knowledge as well.

My question is - how? I understand that Veeky Forums is most likely to be visited by history buffs, but how did you become so knowledgable? Did you major in it in college? Are you in academia? Is it just a hobby?

I'm impressed with the content on here and genuinely wondering. I'm also trying to learn more myself, but I'm almost overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge on here.

Would be cool to get some genuine responses.

-not a troll.

Attached: thumb.jpg (1920x1080, 174K)

Let's be honest, 90% of this board just reads a lot of wikipedia pages.

>Veeky Forums
>"impressively knowledgeable about history (and also highly intelligent)

Let's be honest now, OP.

Attached: Laff.jpg (1111x597, 379K)

Have you been browsing the same Veeky Forums I am? 90% of the posts seem to be /pol/ and /int/ posters coming here to shitfling and grind their various ideological axes.

Most of its bullshit no one calls people on it though

The few knowledgeable people that frequent this board usually provide citations from books, journals, etc.

t/his/

I want to know what Veeky Forums you're browsing because the Veeky Forums I see is chronically retarded.

Well, pick a country you like then start from square one of that countrys history.
Just read everything about it afterwords. There are timelines of events and every given geographical area has a list of relevant people that took part in shaping it.
When done, you pick another region pregerably geographically related to the starting point.
Pretty strait forward OP.

History is basically one big long convoluted fairy tail.
Most of what we surmise is conjecture at best given how little we actually have left of human history.
Humans have been around for at least 300,000 years. We have fragmentary records going back to 4000 of those years at best. Literally enough time has passed for entire civilizations to grow then collapse then be buried forever.
Those records we do have are often written in dead languages, translated into other dead languages then shat on by some other guys who also speak a dead language.
Often they are intermixed with mythologies, state heald ideologies and the musings and personal biases of the scholars translating them into current languages. Then there are just these massive gaps there for whatever reason societies just up and collapse.
The point is take it all with a grain of salt.
Like the carthaginians except that didnt really happen.

3/10

Wikipedia

I read a lot of books and articles from university journals and press. I'm not a historian, but I'm fascinated by history as something of a system, figuring out how little pieces fit together into a larger picture and trying to infer from that things that are somewhat mysterious.

Historians are generally unemployed so they have more time to shitpost than most other professions.

true historians are fluent in the lingua of their tiny focus, and they add new knowledge.

we regurgitate facts. like asian students on test day.

we just geek out over non-fic instead of comics or d&d or vidya or russian lit.

>Veeky Forums is filled with a lot of people who are extremely and impressively knowledgable about history (and also highly intelligent).

There's something about this line that doesnt seem right.

Cause we are the smartest board

Attached: 1521688285959.png (1920x984, 38K)

>/pol/ and /r9k/ that high

Attached: IMG_7048.png (588x409, 13K)

>ywn live in OP's timeline

I studied history at university, and I read fucking everything. I read the Decline and Fall and the entire Greek, Roman and Chinese classical canon for fun. About the start the Indian.

That's it, user. Just read shit.

The problem is that reading a book once might be not enough, after a while the information you have learned from it starts to disappear from your memory, especially if you can;t imagine your daily routine without visiting anonymous shitosting forums and voraciously reading one 300-post thread after another..
After a while your knowledge gets withered away by the "white noise" of daily information dose you receive through various forms of media. It only gets worse if you have to be fluent in several languages, because the amount of consumed information increases even more.

OP, I know what it's like to be in awe of those around you.
This board does have some good threads but please, even someone as pathetic and retarded as me can see that this place...
Actually, never mind.

Attached: Enjoy it.png (750x750, 644K)

>major in college
Doing it right now
>in Academia
I hope so in the future, the money would be great

>I hope so in the future, the money would be great
>history
>money would be great

not sure if bait

Archeologists work for peanuts (or even for free) / good luck getting a professorship.

You'll be better off choosing gender studies and hoping that Hillary wins in 2020, so you can become a junior commissar in the Patriarchy Removal Department of the Anti-Misogyny League.

i agree with you on /pol/, but /r9k/ is filled with no life loners, perfect for reading and shit

I, for one, play grand strategy.

Personally I am a fucking dipshit, just like the rest of this board
My concentration is in East Asian history but it’s impossible to have cool discussions about that on here because this board is overwhelmingly Western and underinformed. Theres no point arguing with weebs who’ve never been exposed to even the most basic, required-reading tier materials. It’s like fighting with a baby

I've read some books about Chinese imperial dynasties. Still, it's next to impossible to remember all these fucking Chinese names, they just all blur in memory after some time. I can only vaguely remember the key emperors/rebel leaders but can't spell them correctly while posting without referring to Wikipedia first. Also the books weren't even in English, which makes it even more difficult, because of different transliterations of names. Maybe it's necessary to have some rudimentary knowledge of Chinese language to prevent this.

this x10000

I'm soon to be a major in IT.
I study history at spare time and read a lot, but it doesn't just include history.

When I was a kid my mom gave me a historical encyclopedia. I loved it because of cool pictures of soldiers and guns and what not.
I always read a lot, so I started reading about history. Got me interested.
At first it was just a hobby and interesting stuff, later I realized history can teach you a lot, because after all humans were always humans and patterns appear irregardless of technological level or social development.
I wouldn't call myself that knowledgable, I know the basics, mostly European and ME history, I'm quite ignorant about Asia, Africa and Americas. I'm not an educated historian, I'm a lawyer.

You kinda lack perspective. Yeah there's a lot of trolling and /pol/ baiting but this board has a lot of intelligent and educated people. Sure, 7 out of 10 threads are shit, but this is Veeky Forums, what do you expect?
It's the cost of anonymity, no registration, and little moderation.