How do people know what Proto-Indo-European sounded like? Apparently the language has been reconstructed...

How do people know what Proto-Indo-European sounded like? Apparently the language has been reconstructed. Why is this considered scientific? Sounds like made up bullshit.

Attached: Screen-Shot-2013-09-30-at-4.26.07-PM.png (545x305, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_method_(linguistics)
academiaprisca.org/indoeuropean/indo-european-schleicher-fable.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_method_(linguistics)

It took decades of tedious lexical comparison to eke out what little exists of PIE's defined properties. It's still all completely hypothetical though since no direct evidence of PIE even exists. It could be that linguists are just inventing a proto language out of coincidences, who knows.

Sanskrit is closest to proto Indo European and is also the oldest, the language family came from India

>t. Sanskanesh Vindaloo

Sanskrit is derived from Indo-Iranian, and is a completely separate branch of the family from the European language families.

Nobody knows where PIE is from because there's no evidence PIE is even a real language. There's zero historical or archaeological proof of its existence. The entire thing is a hypothesis based on apparent similarities between ancient Indo-European languages and the assumption that this indicates shared ancestry.

I don't understand why nobody seems to go for the most straight forward explanation which is that apart from latin itself, and greek, the european indo-european languages are based on exposure to latin + the indigenous pre indo european languages. Latin is probably based on greek, or they are both based on a common ancestor. Other origins of some of the european indo-european languages could be from the influence of illyrian or an ancestor of illyrian.
Greeks probably got their language from central asia or persia, and sanskirit and persian both have a common ancestor, probably in central asia.

For me one thing that undermines the idea that german for example, or celtic languages, had a different ancestral path then latin or greek, is just how much proto-germanic and even old high german, and reconstructed ancient celtic languages, sound so much like latin or greek.

I'm a Hindu and a Sanskrit speaker, and even I don't believe in this shit.
Yeah Sanskrit is very conservative and was a principal component in reconstructing PIE, but there's features other languages have retained that it didn't. And no, PIE isn't from India. Fuck off.

Just saying, the "European language families" aren't really that easily groupable with each other. Slavic has some pretty strong affinities with Indo-Iranian which say, Armenian does not (besides all the Iranic loanwords).

>just how much proto-germanic and even old high german, and reconstructed ancient celtic languages, sound so much like latin or greek.
No, they don't sound anything alike.

Either you lie or your head is filled with Western propaganda.

>*Awiz ehwōz-uh: awiz, sō wullǭ ne habdē, sahw ehwanz, ainanǭ kurjanǭ wagną teuhandų, ainanǭ-uh mikilǭ kuriþǭ, ainanǭ-uh gumanų sneumundô berandų. Awiz nu ehwamaz sagdē: hertô sairīþi mek, sehwandē ehwanz akandų gumanų. Ehwōz sagdēdun: gahauzī, awi! hertô sairīþi uns sehwandumiz: gumô, fadiz, uz awīz wullō wurkīþi siz warmą wastijǭ. Awiz-uh wullǭ ne habaiþi. Þat hauzidaz awiz akrą flauh

wow
much greek
so latin
wow

> falseflagging as an Indian nationalist
And no, I'm consistently the only person actually posting Sanskrit in Hinduism threads. It's pretty clear there's very few Indians on this board, or that the ones here, don't have good command over the language and scriptures. It's pretty obvious you just think Indians as a whole buy into "out of India" stuff, and want to shitpost about it.

Wow, so funny.

>being horse barbarians
>call themselves 'noble'

It's more accurate to say that "European language families" is simply what we call everything not lumped under Indo-Iranian. Indo-Iranian is just one of the many linguistic families under the Indo-European umbrella, along with Germanic, Italic, Hellenic, Balto-Slavic, etc. And yeah there's some weird language isolates in there like Albanian that don't fit into any family.

The weird inexplicable hodgepodge ways these languages related to each other is what drove linguists to propose the Indo-European family in the first place.

>I don't understand why nobody seems to go for the most straight forward explanation which is that apart from latin itself, and greek, the european indo-european languages are based on exposure to latin + the indigenous pre indo european languages.
Except that doesn't make sense because several branches of the Indo-European family are far older than Latin yet contain similarities to it and other languages in the Indo-European family. And really your solution is not any more "straightforward" than the PIE hypothesis, in fact it's following the same basic principle of common ancestry, you're just a Latinist who thinks Latin is the center of everything.

A more interesting idea is convergent evolution rather than divergent evolution. In nature you sometimes see two entirely separate species that end up sharing very similar traits despite having no common ancestry whatsoever. It happens because of environmental influence, certain traits predominate and that can lead two completely different species down a similar path of evolution.

The same is also true of languages.

>The same is also true of languages.
Unless you've got evidence this is a somewhat weaker supposition than that of divergent evolution.

like Lithuanian.

Honestly. Look at this shit. Try reading this outloud. Do you honestly think primitive cave men who could barely wiped their own ass were speaking like this?

They were smarter than you, duder.

Reconstructed PIE tries to give all the languages some "representation". The end result is a clusterfuck that doesn't even resemble a language.

>They were smarter than you

>couldn't write down their fucking language
LOL

i'm more curious about the spelling/phonetics , how do they figure that out?

>It's not English so it sounds dumb.

Attached: 1372565117004.jpg (285x279, 16K)

This, I fully agree, out of India theory is nonsense and much of this is the paki or anti Indians false flagging

There's no "spelling", it's spelled with a phonetic alphabet.
The phonetics are figured out by figuring out the regular sound changes and deducing it from those. Sometimes there's debate as to the exact reconstruction though (muh laryngeals), it's not always exactly known but usually it's certain.

It's pretty cool. When you get the sound changes correct, you can with close to completely certainty predict say, an English word from a Norse one, or an Iranian word from an Indian one.

>people who don't accept consensus by experts in a given field
lol pseuds. I think you guys prob have deeper, ideological reasons for your dislike of this theory

what if indo-europeans spoke the basque language

>Sounds like made up bullshit.
Congrats OP, you figured it out. PIE is one massive ruse

I immediately found one:

(PIE): ehwōz (=éḱwos)

ὠkύς (ōkús) Greek
ōcior Latin
आशु (āśú) Sanskrit

You can also notice: equus (Latin, for horse) and its remnant in English : equestrian

Alternative reconstructions:
*éḱwos
*h1éḱus

which mean: stallion, horse

Funny, you act as if you invented writing. Are you the one responsible for the invention of the Latin Alphabet or its conception ?

Old Europeans had writing before Sumerians. Then steppe subhuman horsefuckers came and destroyed those civilizations causing Dark Ages.

>Unless you've got evidence this is a somewhat weaker supposition than that of divergent evolution.
Use your brain for a second, humans have mouths that can produce sounds, what do all language have in common?

The Gaeilge word for horse is Capall.

The Proto-Brythonic word for horse is Kappilos.

The Gaulish word for horse is Caballo

Common latin word for horse is Caballus

>theoretical framework providing falsifiable predictions
This belong on Veeky Forums.

I had to save my first Slowjak just to express how dumb you are for believing that hunter-gatherer people were grunting apes because you saw it in cartoons.

Attached: absolutely_you.png (620x581, 16K)

> How do people know how early solar system looked like? Apparently, the orbits have been reconstructed. Why is this considered scientific? Sounds like made up bullshit.

Here's another comparison.
academiaprisca.org/indoeuropean/indo-european-schleicher-fable.pdf

I hope in the future when they reconstruct my life I'm not a virgin. I hope they pass this off as scientific and anyone who speaks against it is ignorant and retarded. It's gonna be sweet bro.