Are machines really bad or did I fall for a meme?

Are machines really bad or did I fall for a meme?

>i still dont understand the different between strength training and bodybuilding

>I bodybuild on machines

The meme exists because you aren't as swole looking when you lift flat plates connected to a cable as when you lift massive plates on a bar.

But for the non-meme poiints..

For functionality, free weights have more versatility, and require proper form, especially in the sense that you have to properly relax and active muscles to utilize proper CNS isolation. So you can tell if somebody is good at lifting on weights.

Machines compensate for poor form, or injured body parts by limiting potential range of motion and focusing on isolation without CNS attention. Generally reserved for hard isolations and working around injuries. They are very limited in how you can use them, and could be seen as a waste of money when more squat racks / bells could be around. They really do have their place though, absolutely essential for anybody who has ever had a major injury.

>bodybuilders mostly do barbell lifts

But are they good for people who's never been on a gym before? Or should one just steadily drop them and go for free weights?

You need to train with light free weights so you can attain proper form. You need to focus on relaxing muscles you aren't trying to use, having the right body positioning, range of motion, and using the muslces you are trying to focus on. It's very easy for other, more used, muscle groups to compensate during a free weight lift, meaning you won't get gainz where you want them.

Control of your CNS is vital, and the first step to properly lifting after you've established diet. You don't even need a routine until you know your ORMs, and can properly lift.

Like I said, machines have their place, but if you aren't old, injured, or stagnating and needing isolation / hypertrophy, it's best to get practice in on free weights.

I will say that a row machine is pretty fuckin' nice. Pendlay rows are better, but they really depend on proper back form which you probably don't have yet.

Machines are good to burnout on after you've finished your big compound lifts with free weights

Don't you need to hire someone to help with your form at first though? Filming doesn't help because you can't get feedback in real time

So if I'm doing it alone, how do I know if my form is good? Or how much weight should I be lifting?

Machines are good if you are mentally deficient, or physically handicapped, and run the risk of hurting yourself.

Mirrors

Start with ridiculously low weight, like just the bar, watch form, add weight, watch form.

how to videos on youtube and like other user said mirrors filming is also sometimes necessary for angles you cant really see with mirrors or just get a spotter

Don't spread retarded opinions please

they're worth the time if you count the cable machines which are just "adjustable dumbbels" like someone said

I use a lever press home alone, because I'm not an ego fag who needs to flirt with death every-time i want a pump at home.

Cardio ones are ok. Resistance training machines are retarded unless you're building strength to perform a movement like using the lat pull down when you're too weak for pull ups.

i personally started working out on machines for about 3 weeks, then for the next 3 weeks i worked on form with free weight, now for the last 3 months i do heavy free weight and occasional machine aided lifts to hit specific muscles.

what's wrong with this? I always do a few sets of slow chest press to failure (12-ish range) at the end of my chest workouts. Isolates the shit outta the pecs.

Seconding, is there anything wrong with this?

Best girl right here.
Good taste user.

>Machines and barbells are the only way to exercise

is that you?

Yeah, he forgot about dumbells.

bad? no
less important than free weights in every way? yes

>childhood: machines are the best
>adulthood: free weights are the best
>elderhood: machines are good for assistance, however, free weights should be your bread and butter.

>Are machines really bad or did I fall for a meme?
Usain Bolt uses a Hack Squat machine for his legs.

Come to your own conclusions.