Papal Schism

Who was in the wrong here?

Attached: 1000px-Western_schism_1378-1417.svg.png (1000x770, 197K)

avignon shits

Catholicism

Why were Flemish so fucking autistic?

>were
user, I..

user, ik...

Why is kingdom of granada grey? and this coast grey too

They were kebab until 1942

I didn't know the Spanish Kingdoms supported Avignon.

They were not Catholic

Benedictus XIII was aragonese

I think Castille should be colored orange just like Portugal, if i remember correctly they both had civil wars in which the different claimants supported different popes.

*yellow

They were at war with France

Flanders was very much a case of can't live with'm, can't live without'm for France
It was consistently one of the wealthiest regions in europe throughout all of the medieval era so it was a major boon to have as your vassal
unfortunately that level of wealth also ensured that they did have the capacity to tell a king to go suck it if he asked something as unreasonable as say, requesting them to honor their feudal obligations instead of colluding with a foreign trading partner

they caused many a french king serious migraines

care to elaborate?

The Castillian civil war was already over by the time of the schism.

It’s a good thing too since it allowed them to retain their language and culture unlike all the others the Pari*ians enslaved.

How did the French manage to pull out that crap?
To name a random monk in some irrelevant French town "the new Pope" and have hlaf of Europe recognize him as such?

Attached: 1521335099769.png (480x480, 101K)

No. The schism began when France wanted a pro-french pope and kicked the already elected (pro-aragonese) pope

But Aragon supported Avignon?

Yeah i was wrong, i probably mixed it up with the Fernandine Wars.

werent eh popes arleady in avignon?

Part of the reason why it happened, the Pope decided to move back to Rome so when he died the French decided to name their own successor in Avignon.

that cultural dominance only started to appear into the 18th century
and the french-flemish people did indeed suffer under it, during the medieval era flemish culture and language reached as far as Calais