Highwaymen

Why were Highwaymen so common in 17th and 18th century England?
Why did other European nations not have so many?
(Inb4 "Angl*s are criminals")

Attached: Dickturpin.jpg (489x380, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highwayman
youtube.com/watch?v=hX1o1yLIvak
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Räuber#Bekannte_Räuber
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_Street_Runners
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Juste your usual mixture of English perfidy, cowardice and greed desu

Well the English civil war made it quite easy to be a highwayman due to the lawless chaos. Furthermore when others saw how successful they were, they decided to become highwaymen themselves.
Also highwaymen were highly romanticised which contributed to its popularity
They were not so big in the 18th century

Attached: highwaymanwithhorse_orig.jpg (500x491, 106K)

What gives you the idea that there weren't as many highwaymen in the rest of Europe when you're probably American don't speak any languages besides English and haven't been exposed to culture and history of countries besides the US and Britain?

Yes I'm American, but that doesn't change anything
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highwayman
Wikipedia talks like it only happened in Britain and rarely elsewhere

Quads

Why were so many pirates English and Welsh?

Attached: bartholomew roberts.jpg (586x750, 71K)

This is also a good question.
Most of the golden age pirates were from the isles.

Attached: Blackbeard_3-58d3fa435f9b5846835445c7.jpg (1500x1000, 308K)

What a shitty post.
Hell, I would have rather seen a stormfag get the get.

Probably because the term "highwayman" is associated with Anglosphere culture. Robbers that preyed on travellers existed throughout Europe, in particular in the HRE and what is nowaday's Italy, due to the politically fractured nature there and the various wealthy city states that would always receive rich merchants, making them popular targets.

There was a fuckload in 17th and 18th century Hungary. One of them even became a Slovak national hero for some reason.

They were founded by the English crown to harash Spanish colonial imports.

Because they started as privateers
Just like how nobles became robber Barron’s in time of peace, seamen became pirates

When trade with the new world became more important, the prevalence of piracy shifted to the parties involved there.
During the middle ages, when the Baltic trade was more important, most pirates were Scandinavian, Baltic or German.

Thanks

youtube.com/watch?v=hX1o1yLIvak
This thread reminded me of this beautiful song/poem

>Why did other European nations not have so many?

They did
It's just you hear less of them because American (current cultural hegemon) is obsessed with his "ancestor" Britain and not with the rest of Europe (except for WW2 Germany, "muh enemy))

Attached: 73082247.jpg (272x291, 29K)

Why does wikipedia talk like it was an England-only phenomenon

You had plenty outside of Britain

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Räuber#Bekannte_Räuber

It's just that the English wiki is self-centered (as usual)

Not all robbers are highwaymen

Top fucking kek. Every balkan nibba who killed hungarians eventually became a local hero.

In addition to that, the English crown regularly gave out contracts to "privateers" of dubious character. It's easy to see how this could encourage real piracy so far from England proper

England had much better roads than most of Europe, meaning more traveling along the roads, meaning more people to rob.

Highway man is an English thing where they romanticised them and on the continent there where robbers

Stealing others' property is what Perfidious Albion does, and is the biggest factor in them being confined to their containment island today.

People here are talking about the criminals but I like the mercenary opposites set up to counter them, the bow street runners are, I think are a pretty good example. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_Street_Runners

A good mix of both is the "thief-taker general"

>Why did other European nations not have so many?
But they did are you dumb

Seriously its in our blood we wuz Celts,Saxons,Danes, and Normans after all.
I knows its a bit before the 17-1800s but in the middle ages continental Europe was much more dangerous the England dont know about Scotland but in nations that kept records England had 20 murders per 100k people which is much higher than modern England but in Italy they had like 90 per 100k people.

BLOKES IFFY

LAD GOT THE BLICKY