Why is nobody from the countries they ruled?

Alexander the Great wasn't Greek, Cleopatra wasn't Egyptian, Napoleon wasn't French, Hitler wasn't German, Stalin wasn't Russian, Henry VIII wasn't English. In fact, none of the British Kings have been British, none of the Tsars of Russia were Russian, none of the Kings of Italy were Italian, and none the Kings of Spain were Spanish, etc etc... Weird, aye?

Attached: David_-_Napoleon_crossing_the_Alps_-_Malmaison2.jpg (3296x2820, 1.62M)

France had like 1000 years of French/Frankish Kings.

>In fact, none of the British Kings have been British
Henry VIII, the guy you just mentioned, was...

>Henry VIII
He was Welsh, but British = English, Scottish and Welsh. You mean none of the British kings have been English since 1066, which is correct.

Attached: Henry VII's banner.jpg (500x197, 61K)

>Alexander the Great wasn't Greek
Yeah but it's not as if he only ruled over Greece. He officially ruled over the Kingdom of Macedon, or the Macedonian Empire, and Greece was only one of many different lands within in. He personally disliked Greece and was very eager to leave, and he never went back in his life.

>Cleopatra wasn't Egyptian
Ethnically she wasn't, but she was born in Egypt and lived there her entire life. In the 1st century BC they didn't really have much concept of ethnicity-based countries, so she was definitely considered Egyptian despite her ethnicity and distant heritage. It'd be like calling someone that lives in the United States German because in 1800 their distant German relative moved to the US from Germany.

>Napoleon wasn't French
Legally he was, though. Corsica was sold to the French in 1768, the year before his birth, so he was from the day he was born a subject of the Kingdom of France.

>Stalin wasn't Russian
He was born in Georgia, which was part of the Russian Empire.

>Franks
>A Germanic tribe

>Alexander the Great wasn't Greek
He was king of Macedon. And Macedon was Hellenic. Various Greek city-states joined him or were conquered.

>Napoleon wasn't French
Corsica was/is a part of France but yeah.

>Alexander the Great wasn't Greek,
Going by what definition? He was born in what is today modern greece.

>Cleopatra wasn't Egyptian
Wasn't she? she was born and raised in Egypt.

>Napoleon wasn't French
A lot of french kings are tho

>Stalin wasn't Russian
He was born in the russian empire.

>Henry VIII wasn't English
He was born in Kent. That's a pretty english part of England.

The Tudor dynasty is Welsh, though ethnically he'd probably be Anglo-Welsh-French.

As strange as it may sound, the native population sometimes prefers to see a foreigner ruling over them rather than one of their own. It can happen when several native powerful clans/ political groups don't want to see their direct competitor in charge. So they prefer a foreigner, especially if they think that he will be a weak puppet.
This happened in the Polish-Lithuianian commonwealth when their magnates would prefer to see a Swede/German/Frenchman on the throne, rather than a rival Polish/Lithuanian prince.

>none of the Tsars of Russia were Russian

IIRC, the last Russian in Romanov dynasty was Empress Elizabeth(daughter of Peter I), who was like 10th ruler from Romanov lineage.

>none of the British Kings have been British
as noted in

Also Lionheart wasn't English

All monarchs of England since 1066 haven't been English.

How do you define English?

Ethnically English.
If you're going to argue culture (which is fair enough), then I'd say from 1066 until Edward I. All since Edward I have been culturally English with exception to Henry VII, James I and the Hanoverian kings.

>not realizing that the french are latinized franks
>not realizing the frankish homelands where modern day france
>not realizing that every french king was also king of the franks

>All since Edward I have been culturally English with exception to Henry VII, James I and the Hanoverian kings

Only George I and George II could be considered not culturally English. George III was born in England and never visited Hanover in his life, and the same for his son George IV.

That's true, my mistake.

>>not realizing the frankish homelands where modern day france
Franks originally came from somewhere in the german/danish coast where they were known as pirates to the romans until they started moving southwest untill settling in belgium. They expanded north, pushing back the saxons, south, conquering the occitans and bourgondians, and east conquering the allemani, thuringians and saxons. Saxons were genocided and replaced by franks. Meaning central and north france are probably mostly descended from franks. The franks dominated the other tribes so heavily in this era that in many other parts of the world 'frank' was synnonomous with european(wether said european was frankish or not).

>If you're going to argue culture (which is fair enough), then I'd say from 1066 until Edward I

Actually it's Henry IV (four kings after Edward I) who was the first post-1066 kang with English culture

You just proved my fucking point
The franks migrated into northern france,like the saxons migrated into england
They mixed with the local romanic gaulic population birthing the french

>Alexander the Great wasn't Greek, Hitler wasn't German, Henry VIII wasn't English
Wrong
>In fact, none of the British Kings have been British, none of the Tsars of Russia were Russian
Also wrong
>none the Kings of Spain were Spanish
Also wrong

I never said you were wrong about french being franks, just about frankish homeland. And i also showed belgians, most dutch and northern germans are probably just as "frankish" as the french.