USS Juenau Found

Paul Allen did it again.

gcaptain.com/paul-allen-exploration-team-finds-yet-another-famous-wwii-shipwreck-uss-juneau/

Attached: Port hull and turret.jpg (1920x1080, 162K)

Attached: Port Side gun turret.jpg (1920x1080, 107K)

He can't keep getting away with it.

Attached: DNWth.jpg (1600x990, 101K)

The massive damage that sank her is plainly visible. I-26's torpedo broke her in half.

Attached: Port side hull.jpg (1920x1080, 166K)

Neat!

Attached: Stbd side torpedo launcher and gun.jpg (1920x1080, 125K)

Attached: Port side torpedo launcher.jpg (1920x1080, 156K)

Attached: Stbd side torpedo launcher.jpg (1920x1080, 166K)

Attached: Torpedo launcher instructions.jpg (1920x1080, 241K)

Still legible after almost 80 years.

Attached: Torpedo stop instructions.jpg (1920x1080, 268K)

Attached: Aft gun director.jpg (1920x1080, 111K)

The aft funnel was apparently made of aluminum.

Attached: Aft Funnel.jpg (1920x1080, 164K)

I thought American cruisers in WW2 usually didn't carry torpedo tubes?

The Atlantas were a special kind of retarded. They were notoriously topheavy and unstable.

They were effectively big destroyers.

Attached: juneau-edited-1-768x528.jpg (768x528, 52K)

So they had torpedo tubes because they were afraid that the 5-inch guns wouldn't be powerful enough if the ship had to actually fight another cruiser? Is that what I'm getting from this.

Catapult

Is he /ourguy/?

No, when I said they were big destroyers I meant it. When the class was first envisioned it was as destroyer leaders, which is why they had torpedo tubes in addition to 16 5-inch guns.

They were eventually removed and the ships became dedicated AA platforms.

Oh the USS Juneau, the ship the 5 Sullivan brothers served and died on. Enjoy the greentext.

>Five closely knit sons of a hard working Irish immigrant.
>All join the Navy after Pearl Harbor and demand to all serve on the same ship despite rules prohibiting siblings serving on the same ship.
>All assigned to the brand new USS Juneau and sent off to Guadalcanal.
>During a battle, the Juneau takes a torpedo causing severe damage and flooding.
>While limping to port alongside her older sister, the Atlanta, the submarine I-26 fires a torpedo at the Atlanta.
>Torpedo goes under the Atlanta due to the low draft of the class but instead strikes the Juneau since she was sitting lower in the water due to the flooding caused by the previous torpedo.
>Torpedo detonates rear powder magazines, breaking the ship in half and killing the 4 youngest Sullivan brothers instantly.
>Oldest brother, George, survives the sinking and spends the next 4 days paddling around frantically calling for his brothers and wiping the bunker oil strewn faces of the other survivors looking for a familiar face.
>Finally, 4 days after the sinking of his ship and the deaths of all his brothers, George, driven mad by grief, stands up, takes off his clothes, says he's "going to take a bath" and swims away before being under by a dark shadow.
>The "Fighting Sullivan Brothers" become national heroes and their parents go across the country making speeches to spur on factory workers by asking that their sons didn't die in vain.
>They end up in San Francisco where their mother breaks a champagne bottle on the brand new Fletcher-class destroyer "USS The Sullivans." The first American ship ever named for multiple people. Motto: "We stick together."
>After managing to smile for the cameras she buckles and falls to the ground sobbing.

War is not fun kids. Make sure to tell your loved ones you love them.

Attached: _Five_Sullivan_Brothers_-_They_Did_Their_Part__-_NARA_-_514265.jpg (2116x3000, 813K)

BASED
First Lady Lex, now Juneau, can they keep the streak going?

They started with Musashi, then Indianapolis, then Yamashiro, then Astoria, and not Lexington and Juneau. He's probably going to finish up around the Solomons and then go hunting for Akagi.