Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I love lifting and it makes me feel great but I feel like I really need to pick up some other hobbies.

Any of you guys that can reccomend me something? Thinking of picking up violin

thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9E6b3swbnWg
youtu.be/15elR4K_frc
youtube.com/watch?v=mluf_nwY9bs
youtube.com/watch?v=0SFhzHBZXfc
youtube.com/watch?v=11KaKhGAa3I
youtube.com/watch?v=gkZ5_Lit1J8
youtube.com/watch?v=1YR0QsqgnGs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I started playing piano last year and its fuckin sick. I would definitely choose violin otherwise. I say go for it because you have nothing to lose

Violin is hard as fuck and you'll sound horrible for a long time before you get good. I recommend piano instead, it's more fun to play on your own too.

Try shit until you find something you like

you can loose time and money

i play cello, ive been playing eversince i was 6 and trust me,
any instrument will require you to learn and practice for a long time (6+ years) in order for you to sound "good".

The duration depends whether you are talented or not etc but usually it will take about a year or two to master the basics and from there its all about techniques and musical senses.

But its a hobby/skill that will last you lifetime

How long of piano playing until I can impress someone?

I've played piano for a year and a bit. I played other instruments for quite a bit before then so I had some knowledge of playing instruments at least, but otherwise no prior experience at all. I literally just decided to sit down and learn to read music and play pieces I wanted to play.

Most recent piece I finished is this, I can play it perfectly to tempo and my teacher is pretty happy with it:
youtube.com/watch?v=9E6b3swbnWg

You gotta work at it at least an hour, preferably two or more, a day though. If you like it though, you'll end up doing that anyway.

Violinist here, it's enjoyable but extremely frustrating for a beginner.
Prepare to make some very fucking annoying sounds with that thing for a few years.

I've been playing for 14 years btw, since I was 6.

6+ years at least imo.

The more you learn& better you become.
You will also be more self conscious and compromised by the sound you make.

You will be able to hear and distinguish the tiniest click or off note you/others make and things will really grind your gears.

Getting the notes/temo right is the very basic.
Its all about making music, really delivering your feelings through the tip of your fingers. Its more like crafting your skills rather than a hobby.

If you're serious about it it's a fantastic investment. Plus when you casually mention in a conversation that you play violin you get quite a few raised eyebrows.

But you HAVE to keep up practice or else it will always sound like a car horn.

I picked up guitar almost two years ago and it’s probably the best decision I’ve ever made. I’m not good but I make progress every month. Plus it doesn’t take that much to impress normies for whatever reason, especially females. Play and sing Your Body is a Wonderland and it literally makes girls wet, it’s bizarre.

They say the difference between a novice and a professional is 10k hours of practice so if you pick up an instrument and play consistently for the next decade you’ll sound really good even to yourself. You’ll know what I mean by “good even to yourself” after you start playing for awhile

String instruments are tough initially. Its awkward to hold everything.

For the most return on initial investment, go with piano. If you understand music theory well you can half ass your way through 50% percent of radio music. Most of those songs are just variants of I IV Vi V progressions.

What are you talking about? It wasn't that bad starting out, it felt like starting every other instrument I've ever played: not knowing how to move your fingers/hands/arms/lips/tongue.

I'm a trombone player, not a chad, please keep that in mind.

Violinist here. Go with piano or guitar. Technique maintenance on bowed string instruments is not usually compatible with regular lifting gains.

See: Maxim Vengerov

>tfw actually a pretty decent pianist
>tfw no one to play for

whats the point

play for youtube user
or even twitch tv
you can make it

I still regret not starting violin when I was young. Guitar alone kinda bores me now. I'm thinking of picking up piano or a woodwind instrument. Might buy an ocarina actually.

Violinist here, all the other guys hit it on you are going to sound terrible in the first bit. If I had to pick a new instrument to learn it would be piano or guitar.

If you're a creative type maybe you should try painting. Bob Ross is an excellent teacher if you can find his old shows.

What if i really like the sound of the Violin?

Piano is the base for all music, start there

Learn sax. It makes panties wet if you play well enough. You can even be a dyel (like yourself) and learn.

Piano is pretty easy to get into

I take operatic singing classes and also joined a choir.
It's pretty fun.

Honestly mate there's some really simple songs that sound great and make you sound good you just have to find them

Fuck yar, I played the guitar for the last 15 years, but I'm not very good. I'm thinking about picking up a digital piano soon, expand my horizons a bit. A violin would be dodgy, as I'm an old fuck at 30, and its the sort of instrument that takes a decade of practice to just sound decent.

>sing
w-what if you have a weird sounding voice and can't sing, still worth it?

Its pretty inexpensive to rent an instrument. And I hardly consider time spent learning a new skill as wasted time considering you're probably using that time for something useless like TV or video games

A weird voice, if properly trained, might just turn out to be a very interesting voice that will set you apart from other wannabe singers. Give it a go, learn how to sing properly, and your voice might turn out to not be weird, but unique.

Also, you probably don't sound as weird as you think, we all sound weird to ourselves when hearing our voices recorded.

Was talking strictly about violin. There are plenty of instruments you can sound good at immediately. Violin is definitely not one of them since it takes a while for the exact location of the notes to be ingrained so you'll be out of tune most of the time.

He wasn't asking how long it takes to be truly good, he asked how long it takes to impress people. I could play something that impressed people within a few months. Six years is complete horseshit, most people don't know enough about music to be that judgmental.

I started the violin, when I was 16, I'm now 18, yes playing the violin is still difficult, you need to play it everyday, which I didn't.... maybe 5 minutes per day
Maybe you will sound good in 5 years lol

take up knitting

Bob Dylan had an awful singing voice, but it was unique and he made it his thing. Now he has one of the most recognizable voices ever.

Even to hit the strings is hard
But I just want to play some Disney songs...

>he doesn’t want to learn Devil Went Down to Georgia

>all those smart people instruments
I play drums and bass and they're both fun as fuck OP, fairly easy to get started on too and mostly inexpensive.

Actually she
I'm still not good, but I'm playing it just for two years, I just need to practise more

>drums
>inexpensive

Yeah, its exactly like the trombone in that regard, as long as you have a good ear you shouldn't have that big of a problem with it. Ahhh, I guess not everyone has experienced the joy of playing instruments that can always be played perfectly tune...

Become the gym's lounge pianist

I would recommend op learn an instrument with real frets and notes instead of violin first too
You'll probably have a hard time playing in the correct pitch unless you're used to playing music

you're saying you can play chopin in 1 year my dude? what about the fantasy impromptu?
youtu.be/15elR4K_frc

Of course you can. You might not impress an actual pianist and you might not bring out the same sense of musicality that a real pianist could, but you can play the notes right and enjoy yourself and impress people.

I learned the nocturne in about 3-4 weeks. I should also mention that I learned Clair de Lune as my first piece and I had the whole thing memorised in about 4 months. I'm not bragging, by the way. I put in a stupid amount of hours every day in order to do it, it probably took me more effort than it should have. But it's really not rocket science.

If you were stupid enough to want to play fantaisie-impromptu with very little training, you could dedicate half a year (or a year) to it and you'd be able to play it correctly. It really isn't as impossible as you make it out to be.

Combat sports. It interferes with lifting, but the cardio and flexibility are nice to have. Proficiency comes a lot faster than with an instrument. Pretty alpha hobby imo

I would only tell you to pick up an instrument if you really like music. Otherwise, you're just gonna lose interest after a while and feel like an asshole when you quit.

>you'll know what i mean by "good even to yourself" after you start playing for a while
This. This a thousand times. I can play sixteenth notes at 230bpm and I still feel slow as shit.

I wanna play guitar, but I'm not really sure what to buy. This shit ain't cheap.

I'm a professional clarinetist.

Getting Veeky Forums really helped improve my air support and control. Now I have a rocking core and can swim a mile in under 40 minutes. Breathing on point.

Squier strat starter pack. There are starter packs that come with an electric guitar and amp. If acoustic buy a yamaha or something

I've been a musician for about 9 years now. No matter what instrument you're interested in you have to start with piano. Don't listen to these tards saying it takes 7 years to sound good. Learn the basics and practice a lot and you'll be impressing people in 6 months. Just don't let yourself plateau like most self taught musicians do.

buy any shitty guitar ... the shittyer the better its more important to get some practice you can buy a high quality guitar later when got some skills and some preferations

Could I just buy some keyboard and learn with that? I don't have a ton of money or space.

>tfw played the viola for 4 years and quit in high shcool because my instructor was a bitch
Wish I hadn't quit desu. At this point I'm going to have to relearn the fucking notes.

What kind of music do you want to play? I can help.
What are you hoping to sound like?
Like said squiers are not bad starter guitars, but I wouldn't recommend a starter pack. Guitarcenter and reverb.com have a big selection of used guitars.
Squier makes good 15w amps too which aren't bad

I like the sound of acoustic guitars so probably that. I know its kind of simple, but this song here got me interested in learning guitar. youtube.com/watch?v=mluf_nwY9bs

I know there's this one Guitarcenter on the other side of town. Are there any problems with buying used?

Buying a cheap one, especially new, is not a good idea usually. Maybe you could get a decent Yamaha with weighted keys for ~500 bucks. Just make sure it has 88 keys and is weighted.

The piano subreddit has a decent guide on this sort of thing.

How easy is piano to self-teach? I've been playing guitar for 12 years and I've always wanted to learn the keys.

That is the problem I have. I would like to learn an instrument (have a Euke because it's meant to be relatively simple to jump into), but I haven't started yet as I'm not 100% that I want to make the time investment; I'm just not sure I love music all that much.

Adult (19 today) violinist here been playing a year and can play a good amount of easy pieces like Christmas music and air by bach. I also deadlift 315 and weigh 130lbs i beleive playing vivaldi during lifts maxes gains Highly recommend and pic related

For acoustic guitars Martin and Taylor are the best brands IMO and you can't go wrong if you buy one and these guitars are they built to last. But brand isn't everything and you can find a good sounding off brand acoustic very easily. I would definitely recommend playing the ones at your guitar center. Guitar center actually has a big room full of acoustic guitars. You can play a few of them and if you like any of them but you don't want to spend all of your money on it just look up used versions of that guitars model online. Just strum around on some and see if they sound nice to you. You can judge the quality of an acoustic guitar yourself just by hearing it in person. If it sounds good to you and it feels comfortable then it's a good guitar.
Just know that there is a difference between acoustic guitars and classical guitars. A classical guitar has nylon strings and sound like this
youtube.com/watch?v=0SFhzHBZXfc
or this
youtube.com/watch?v=11KaKhGAa3I

While a normal acoustic guitar uses either steel or brass strings and sounds like this
youtube.com/watch?v=gkZ5_Lit1J8
or this
youtube.com/watch?v=1YR0QsqgnGs

You don't want to put the wrong strings on your guitar. So if you like the classical sound buy a classical guitar but if you like the metal sound buy an acoustic.

Tone is more difficult and takes longer to develop than intonation on string instruments. The right hand is very important

are built to last**

>and weigh 130lbs

If you're feelin violin, go for it. Steeper learning curve than, say, guitar or piano but it's a sick instrument - wish I could play, just not willing to put in the time. After you learn the basics, you can go electric too, which opens up a whole world of effects and synths.

Other possibilities: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (it's like playing chess with your body), chess, rock-climbing, surfing, mountain/road biking, autocrossing, club auto racing, painting, travel

You can do it! I believe in you!

chad plays sports
play whatever is most chad in your area
music wont get u pussi unless u r performance level
anything else is shit tier unless it can be used to make money (investing coding not drawing)

>This shit ain't cheap.
$150 will get you started with a decent newbie electric, a shitty 10-15W practice amp (you will NOT need more for a long time, they're more powerful than you think) plus a handful of bits and pieces like cables, spare strings, clip on tuner. I've been with my kit (Ibanez RG120, Behringer GM108) for nearly two years and while I do know now how and in what regards it is shitty, it took me a long time to learn and understand it. Also I don't practice nearly as much as I'd want to or should to be halfway decent, so even with a top-tier $5000 guitar I couldn't play any better than I do right now.

>I like the sound of acoustic guitars so probably that.
I don't play classical/acoustic at all so I have little experience, but the common knowledge is that electric is much more forgiving - both in terms of shitty cheap ones being good enough to fuck around with, as well as just fucking around on them giving decent and satisfying results. On the other hand, if you buy a shitty acoustic (protip: non-shitty acoustics are not cheap) you'll be in a world of pain and frustration and will also take much longer before you can play something you like and play it well enough to show off. So it's really up to what your expectation and ambition is and how much effort you're planning to put into it.

>Are there any problems with buying used?
As far as electrics go, absolutely not, in fact you shouldn't buy your first guitar new, you'll be just wasting your money. Until you have actually seriously played for a few months you won't know what you like or need in a guitar and won't be able to tell if the one you're trying out at GC really suits you. You can read all you want about bridges and pickups, but at the end of the day you'll pick your first one 99% for shape and color.

Also check justiguitar and ask they tend to be helpful in their own way.

I fucked up.
Guitar and bass general

read thought-provoking books, expand your mind user

well if you don't love music then what's the point of learning how to do it?

If you want to play the violin, do it !
I also started late, people told me that I shouldn't learn it, because it's "hard"
Just practise and you will impress people

Thanks for the information guys. Looks like I have a lot more stuff to look into.

Kek 'd

You can pick guitar or piano because those are the two most common musical instruments to find in places for you to show off

Chad plays piano and hits on Stacy while you run around with your piano case

Most cancer vid i've seen in a while.

DELETE THAT PIC

>to tempo

are you legit dumb?

Nice VSO.

Violin is a pain in the ass.

>tape for fingerings
Might as well use the smith machine, buddy

True Chad's ride motorcycles