/potato/

Let's take a moment to thank the tastiest, healthiest, most versatlie and most nutritious fucker out there

Also, share recipes

youtube.com/watch?v=IochM2MoIDA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Akwm2UZJ34o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think you mean sweetpotato my dude.

Regardless of health benefits, thank you for introducing this to me.

top carb
I'm so thankful for those little, starch filled spherical bros

PO-TA-TO

THOSE ARENT ROACHES

Keto bros are triggered by this

Meat and Potatoes crew checking in

>high glycemic index
>healthy

Fell for GI index meme

Ever since I bought the proper tools to easily cook beans and rice I've had no reason to touch potatoes.

Go shine a coin you dirty mick

why would you serve something that's "piping hot"

wouldn't that just burn your mouth and ruin the taste

My all time favourite meal coming through. Used to eat this every other day in the cold winters we'd get in Ireland.
>Peeled and quartered potatoes
>Chopped carrots
>Peas
>Slices chicken thigh
>Chicken stock
>Sea salt and black pepper
Adjust amount of ingredients for however much you want
Boil that shit for hours and you have a simple, hearty meal. I miss my mother's cooking lads, I can never make it the way she did.

This guys fucking gets it

They're far from the healthiest or most nutritious but they are tasty

Potatoes >>> Rice

Fuck rice, worst carb. Tastes like boiled nothing. Give me some quartered, roasted red potatoes all day, every day.

>healthiest
lol

I'm okay with this

>eat yuuuge bowl
>barely 400 cals
Shit for bulking desu
Never gonna make it

Food Wishes is comfy as fuck.
Up there with Jas. Townsend and Steve1989

I'm genuinely pissed, I absolutely burned myself out on potatoes.

>Hear about this potato diet.
>Penn Gillette of Penn & Teller lost 100 lbs. in a year on it. With minimal exercise.
>The idea is to eat nothing but potatoes until your taste buds reset and you don't crave food anymore.
>Three weeks, nothing but unseasoned steamed potatoes all day every day.
>Couldn't do it anymore, genuinely wanted to die.
>Just the thought of potatoes makes me nauseous.

I make poor decisions. I fucking hate it.

Didn't Penn eat potatoes with seasoning?

He might have. I decided I'd do one better. As referenced above with "I make bad decisions."

creamy potato and leek soup is unironically one my favorite foods - heaps of easy recipes for it on youtube

chuck in some cream, garlic, onion, bacon, spinach, etc

You mean a pot??

>cooking food in the same pot you use to make crack
Lel

they're definitely in the top 10 of both

>Take a healthy potato
>Completely dunk in in butter and salt
Fucking carbs ruining my health again uh .

>being a potato virgin
>not being a sweet potato Chad

ISHYGDDT

>masturbating on your potato cooking pot
>letting your masturbate cook itself to the stove
I bet your apartment smells like burnt human while you eat your taters good job thumbs up.

Black rice is legit tho

>tastes better than brown rice
>healthier than brown rice with better micros and more fiber
>antioxidants from the purple pigmentation

Ketards in a nutshell.

I actually had a ketard tell me yesterday that the only unhealthy part of a cheeseburger is the bun.

The filter is actually the cancerous part of the cigarette my dude , just smoke filter less :^)

So expensive though

complete meme.

potatoes have
> ~2x more vitamin b3, b6, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium
> ~4x more zinc

sweet potatoes only have more betacarotene and vitamin e, both of with are easily gotten through leafy greens

it's a meme pushed by the paleo/super food crowd to avoid the bad rep potatoes get (carb bombs!) and because sweet potatoes are more exotic (and expensive) so they fit in with the whole super food farce.

potatoes are possibly the only food that you can eat by itself for months on end without developing any kind of deficiency.

he said tastiest

>chef john
my negro

jeez bro. I knew it. I've been eating potatoes literally my entire life (steamed) and I was never fat. I also ate not only like 300g of them but about 800g almost everyday.

>jeez bro. I knew it. I've been eating potatoes literally my entire life (steamed) and I was never fat. I also ate not only like 300g of them but about 800g almost everyday.

I always add in a potato or two for the zinc but sweet potatoes have those antioxidant gains.

such wisdom

The Vitamin E in sweet potatoes is also very underrated.

but it takes so fucking long to cook REEEE

Just get a rice cooker and put extra water in lol

>get a rice cooker
they're kinda expensive and not that common

>complete meme.
I know, but I still like the taste and sometimes get them for (((diversity)))

Should be mentioned, though, that the majority of those vitamins and minerals are in the skin. If you're going to peel your potatoes, the difference is negligible.

wouldn't be too surprised if they become a "super-food" in a few years. probably not because they're so cheap to produce that no one would make a profit from them

true. other good sources are broccoli (most other leafy greens), olive oil and nuts (go easy on nuts though)

antioxidants are a bit of a meme, several essential nutrients (like vitamin E and C) have significantly more antioxidant activity in the human body.

but if you're interested in other avant-garde phytonutrients, look up

>quercetin
>catechin
>anthocyanins
>epigallocatechin gallate
>curcumin
>oleuropein
>reservatol
>glutathione
>allicin

most polyphenols and other similar phytonutrients have poor bioavailability, so consensus is mixed concerning any purported health benefit.

despite that, chronic consumption is associated with better health and longevity, so keep it simple and eat your damn vegetables.

skins have significantly more fiber, and have a much higher nutrient density but the flesh still has plenty of nutrients. that said, I pity the fool who peels his potatoes. twice baked potatoes are crack to me.

>kinda expensive
>not that common

$15 at woolies
m8, cmon

>other good sources are broccoli (most other leafy greens), olive oil and nuts (go easy on nuts though)

Yep, I'm a vegan so I don't mind eating 4-5 sweet potatoes in a meal. I try to limit nuts for optimal omega6:3 ratios and I'm oil-free. Broccoli (broccoli sprouts even more so) is amazing for the sulforaphane.

>antioxidants are a bit of a meme

How so?

poor bioavailability, especially when taken as supplements. people think occasionally eating small amounts of antioxidant rich foods will negate an unhealthy diet.

the health benefits mostly come from decades of of high level chronic consumption, for example okinawans and their purple sweet potatoes, which have huge amounts of caratenoids and anthocyanins, and make up a significant portion of their diet)

and no one can even say with any amount of certainty that okinawan health is due to antioxidant consumption, and not just a healthy lifestyle consisting of minimally processed whole food consumption, low levels of stress, healthy social lives and time spent outdoors doing low intensity activity (walking, farming)

I certainly think these factors will have a significantly higher impact on health than drinking blueberry juice.

What's your favorite kind of potatoes?

Personally it's red potatoes.

I mean, that's what I do. I regularly consume normal + purple sweet potatoes, black rice, goji berries, broccoli with mustard seed powder etc.

If anything I think consistent consumption of foods with various potent antioxidants are extremely helpful for preventing cancer. I don't think such high prevalence of cancer in western societies is a coincidence.

>woolies
i'm yuropoor

>not that common
yeah, no one i know has one at home.

>yeah, no one i know has one at home.

Doesn't matter. A rice cooker will change your life if you regularly eat rice. Their loss.

Got any more info pics like that for other vegetables? Or a website?

Honor this man's quads!

all desu
I need to check out different varities

Penn didn't eat a "potato diet." He ate mostly rice and vegetables with little or no salt.

The health benefits of beta-carotene alone outweigh
the mineral benefits of the potato.

>goji berries
Unless you're buying these cheap at a chinese shop, you're probably getting ripped off buying these.

This , lots of people are retarded when it come to healthy food .
>I hate a sweet potato & a salad today and I don't feel like superman , fucking scam .

Kek

>getting ripped off while buying goyim berries

>t.

I do this one recipe for nugget potatoes I found in a japanese cookbook and it always goes over very well. Basically potatoes boiled in miso soup.

>Dashi stock
>soak a 8"x8" sheet of kelp for about an hour in 2L of water or more depending how many potatoes you're making
>bring to boil
>add a good cup of shaved dry fish (usually bonito)
>immediately turn off the heat
>after 30 or so minutes strain the solids out
>add about 2 tbsps miso paste and mix well
>put about 1.5 tbsps grapeseed oil in a skillet
>heat to medium high
>put in 1 tbsp sesame seeds and let sit for a couple minutes
>slice a medium onion into rings
>drop into skillet and cook until soft
>add nugget potatoes (about 4 cups or more)
>stir until covered with oil
>add your miso laced dashi
>simmer until the potatoes fall off a knife on their own when stabbed
>enjoy

youtube.com/watch?v=Akwm2UZJ34o
>being this retarded

There was a time at the Old Westside gym where I couldn't gain weight to save my fucking life.
There was this dude who trained there who could just put on weight like fucking magic. He'd go from 198 to 308 and then to 275 and back down to 198. And he was never fat. It was amazing.
I finally asked him one day how he did it.
"You mean I never told you the secret to gaining weight? Come outside and I'll fill you in."
Now remember, we're at Westside Barbell. And this guy wants to go outside to talk so no one else can hear. Think about that for a minute. What the hell is he going to tell me? This must be some serious shit if we have to go outside, I thought.
So we get outside and he starts talking.
"For breakfast you need to eat four of those breakfast sandwiches from McDonalds. I don't care which ones you get, but make sure to get four. Order four hash browns, too. Now grab two packs of mayonnaise and put them on the hash browns and then slip them into the sandwiches. Squish that shit down and eat. That's your breakfast."
At this point I'm thinking this guy is nuts. But he's completely serious.

>potatoes are possibly the only food that you can eat by itself for months on end without developing any kind of deficiency.
Potatoes and milk (butter) actually. That's enough to sustain human life indefinitely.

"For lunch you're gonna eat Chinese food. Now I don't want you eating that crappy stuff. You wanna get the stuff with MSG. None of that non-MSG bullshit. I don't care what you eat but you have to sit down and eat for at least 45 minutes straight. You can't let go of the fork. Eat until your eyes swell up and become slits and you start to look like the woman behind the counter."
"For dinner you're gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you don't like sardines, don't put 'em on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there.
After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that fucker up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that shit over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the shit out of it."
"Now before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that fucker. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals."
This guy is in a zen-like state when he's talking about this.
"Now you're on the clock," he continues. "After 20 minutes your brain is going to tell you you're full. Don't listen to that shit. You have to try and eat as much of the pizza as you can before that 20-minute mark. Double up pieces if you have to. I'm telling you now, you're going to get three or four pieces in and you're gonna want to quit. You fucking can't quit. You have to sit on that couch until every piece is done.
And if you can't finish it, don't you ever come back to me and tell me you can't gain weight. 'Cause I'm gonna tell you that you don't give a fuck about getting bigger and you don't care how much you lift!"
Did I do it? Hell yeah. Started the next day and did it for two months. Went from 260 pounds to 297 pounds. And I didn't get much fatter. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, though.

fuck off faggot.Learn how to tell fake stories

chef john? he's the best

>tfw eating sweet potatoes everyday for 2 years straight
>tfw want to try purple sweet potatoes
>I find some in local grocery
>waitaminute.jpg
>split open one and inside is not purple only outside is

REEEEEEEE

why is it so hard to get japanese sweet potatoes without being scammed.

So then it's not piping hot.

He said that prior to starting his diet, he went on a potato monodiet.

Irish fag here too Co.Kerry btw

That's potato with the skin. I can't cook it with the skin for shit, so I go with sweet potatoes. Plus sweet potatoes aren't prone to developing toxic compounds in their skin.

I live in China. I can get 140 grams of goji berries for $1.

yeah but the downside is you live in china.

I enjoy it. I've lost count of how many girls I've fucked here and the food is extremely cheap and plentiful. There's much more variety when it comes to fruits and vegetables too.

>goji berries
>purple sweet potatoes
>bok choy
>spicy peppers
>cheap as fuck hemp seeds, hibiscus tea, flaxseeds, pretty much any seed

yeah but your lungs are worse than those of a life long pack-a-day smoker in america.

Yeah and you live in China.

I'm in southwest China. The air here is much cleaner than the rest of the country. It's why I chose to live where I live. Other than that I focus on getting a lot of sulforaphane and other cancer-fighting phytonutrients in my system everyday.

I probably caused a bit of permanent damage during my year in Beijing tho

I also save thousands of dollars a month working less than 20 hours a week. I avoid the high-pollution areas.

I truly believe if potatoes had been known to the indian during the vedic age we would've had an ode/hymn to potatoes similar to that to ghee.

just stop making fries your primary method of potato consumption and you'll appreciate these golden nuggets from heaven a lot more.

the effect of smoke on lungs is one of the most overrated scares out there. our grandparents survived living in industrializing western cities with much worse air quality with minimum damage. before that, our great-grandmothers survived spending 4+ hours a day in front of a wood fired stove. and they all died from their digestive or cardiovasular system failing much before their lungs living to 80+

>I Don't Know Basic Health Science: The Post

Potatoes are just a tiny part of incan cousine.
And they had more than 3000 kinds of potatoes.

oh if yurops really cared about knowledge instead of just gold and silver.