Health at Every Size

I know what the general consensus is on here about this- what are the biggest issues? Gimme some counter studies.

>Current guidelines recommend that "overweight" and "obese" individuals lose weight through engaging in lifestyle modification involving diet, exercise and other behavior change. This approach reliably induces short term weight loss, but the majority of individuals are unable to maintain weight loss over the long term and do not achieve the putative benefits of improved morbidity and mortality. Concern has arisen that this weight focus is not only ineffective at producing thinner, healthier bodies, but may also have unintended consequences, contributing to food and body preoccupation, repeated cycles of weight loss and regain, distraction from other personal health goals and wider health determinants, reduced self-esteem, eating disorders, other health decrement, and weight stigmatization and discrimination. This concern has drawn increased attention to the ethical implications of recommending treatment that may be ineffective or damaging. A growing trans-disciplinary movement called Health at Every Size (HAES) challenges the value of promoting weight loss and dieting behavior and argues for a shift in focus to weight-neutral outcomes. Randomized controlled clinical trials indicate that a HAES approach is associated with statistically and clinically relevant improvements in physiological measures (e.g., blood pressure, blood lipids), health behaviors (e.g., eating and activity habits, dietary quality), and psychosocial outcomes (such as self-esteem and body image), and that HAES achieves these health outcomes more successfully than weight loss treatment and without the contraindications associated with a weight focus.

nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-10-9

Other urls found in this thread:

hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-consequences/health-effects/
youtube.com/watch?v=pR64wOmDlxI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>This a special kind of bait

she looks more than 600 lbs, but really REALLY when it comes down to it, shes not all fat. Shes mostly water which comes with the bloating. She could rapidly lose weight if she applied herself.

Not bait, my professor is pushing the HaES movement, and I think it is bullshit. I can see the benefits of supporting one's body image. But I don't see how there is any way that someone can promote physical health when obesity is one of the leading causes of heart disease, among other things.

>implying I will ever be interested enough to read that much word vomit

lemme summarize- People behind this movement argue that statistics have proven that one can still be physically health despite being overweight or obese.

Aaaah cheers mate, i'll see what I can rustle up

I don't think that they understand that the reason that being thin or muscular is good isn't just because people want to look good- there are large health benefits too

>Except at statistical extremes, body mass index (BMI) - or amount of body fat - only weakly predicts longevity [32]. Most epidemiological studies find that people who are overweight or moderately obese live at least as long as normal weight people, and often longer [32-35].

This seems like BS- here's the source they mentioned

33. Durazo-Arvizu R, McGee D, Cooper R, Liao Y, Luke A: Mortality and optimal
body mass index in a sample of the US population. Am J Epidemiol 1998,
147:739-749.

34. Troiano R, Frongillo E Jr, Sobal J, Levitsky D: The relationship between body weight and mortality: A quantitative analysis of combined information from existing studies. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1996, 20:63-75.

35. Flegal K, Graubard B, Williamson D, Gail M: Supplement: Response to “Can Fat Be Fit”. Sci Am 2008, 297:5-6.

One thing they can't deny is things like osteoarthritis where the joints are literally breaking under the pressure of their fat.

a for specific studies this is the best that i've seen. hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-consequences/health-effects/

Imagine trying to fuck her, but the fat pushes you and you can't even put it in.

one of the top haes blogs is run by a former nurse who doesn't understand the first thing about stats.

She claims that you are twice as likely to survive some surgery if you are overweight because the survival rate is 98% for the obese and 96% for normal weight. Sorry I can't find it right now.

The only study I saw that had a similar conclusion was with cancer survivors. The ones that had been wasting away the longest tended to die more often; regardless of their starting weight.

>other personal health goals
Like what? Getting fit made me more aware of shit wrong with my body.
>reduced self-esteem, weight stigmatization and discrimination
These are not "health determinants"

Yes goyim pork up real nice, (((we))) will take real good care of you
we always do

Jesus Christ, she looks like a muppet!

This is litterally just the buisness and medical interests babying their sick addicted moneysink slave class. That's all.

Those obese food addicts could literally fast, EAT NOTHING, for a full year and not die.
They'd only need a cup of coffee, a gallon or more of water, and a multivitamin.

They are fucking sick.
They have a disease that is most ways WORSE then crack addiction. Because you need fucking food to live. You don't need crack.
You can go without crack forever.

>full year fast
bro...

Say that to my face and see what happens kiddo
I will wreck you with the fury of 6 gorillion choosen ones

youtube.com/watch?v=pR64wOmDlxI
Yes?

WHAT THE FUCK????????????????
HOW IS THIS HUMANLY POSSIBLE? I THOUGHT THE WHOLE "MORE RESISTANT TO FAMINE" WAS A MEME FAT PEOPLE SAID

I like the picture, you can tell what she's thinking. She's thinking "Yeah I might be a morbidly obese fuck but I have a wet hole between my legs so it's cool."

You've been lied to your entire life user.
You can simply not eat
This will also fix a whole host of metabolic problems as well.

Dude I already fast, I eat one time a day, but this is fucking insane.

Eats enough for 30 years to weight the same as 3 adult males
Lives on the shitty comprimised metabolic rate while chugging vitamins to not completely rot away
what's so mind blowing about it?

You could fucking survive a shtf scenario without eating literally.