Lifting while cutting

let's talk cutting.

i'm sitting at 135lbs, which is about 20-25lbs overweight for my frame and bodytype. and i've only been lifting for a few months so i'm still increasing the amount i lift every week. if i'm to do a cut now (which i started today- aiming for ~1400kcal/day) and hoping that will get me into a deficit.

but what will this mean for my lifts? should i give up on "progressive overload" during this period, and just try to maintain my lifts where they are for the duration of the cut? how long does a typical cut last?

i was hoping that lifting itself would help me lose the weight but it really hasn't helped at all lol. I'm going to be incorporating more cardio into my routine too. thinking yohimbine once a week with an hour of light/moderate stairs or treadmill will help here.

anyway i'm mostly curious about what to do with my strength training during this period. right now i'm only squatting 120lbs 3x5 and deadlifting 190lbs 3x5. so there's room for improvement there. but if my muscles are atrophying from the cut... then that sucks :(

Other urls found in this thread:

artofmanliness.com/2013/01/18/how-to-increase-testosterone-naturally/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You won't make it.

Forget that.

why won't i make it?

>135lbs, which is about 20-25lbs overweight for my frame and bodytype
what the fuck kind of body type do you have
you had better be a woman and/or a dwarf

becuz ur faget

You won't atrophy. You might lose some strength because more water and fat can help you lift. If you're a beginner, you should still make good gains. My bench went from 125kg to 140kg during a cut.

Eat at least 1600 cals per day. And thats a minimum. Calculate your BMR first and eat 500 calories less than that. If you go straight to 1400 cals, you will just end up losing fat too quick and will have skin folds

Not OP here
How many more pounds do I have to lose before seeing abs/losing fat to get to a respectable bf% for bulking?
Lost 15 pounds in a month but seen jack shit difference to my bf%

Kek, you don’t even have any muscle to atrophy. Cut to 110 and start over

aim for a 1000 calorie deficit and just get it the fuck over with, you have absolutely no muscle to atrophy anyway

eat 1g/lb protein and lift hard

You should just take estrogen like OP does so us alpha males have more to f*ck

You need to bulk and get strong first

Just want aesthetics though. Being a skinnyfat mess means i;m gonna put on more fat which I don't need.

5'6" transgirl. i was 110 at age 18, before HRT.

:)

good to know! thank you.

skin folds starting from 135lbs? is that a thing?

how do you even eat 135g protein when doing a 1000kcal cut?

>how do you even eat 135g protein when doing a 1000kcal cut?

about 1kg of chicken breast p day

The most aesthetic guys have to bulk and get strong. Even kinobody bulks up a lot and benches over 350 lbs

Idk if it actually is a thing, but cutting that much is unhealthy. You might as well just go on a water fast for a few days.
As I said before, eat at least 1600 calories per day, as a bare minimum. People telling you otherwise don't know what they're talking about

of course user, but as the sticky says theres not much point if i'm not between 10-12% bf lol

135 is a healthy weight for your frame. quit being anorexic.

135g protein isn't hard to get on 1k calories, two scoops of whey is like 240 cal 48g protein

you sound like my endocrinologist.

it's not at all an unhealthy weight, but i have this annoying tummy fat that i want gone. i haven't had a flat stomach since high school and that's so sad.

whey may be something to look into. generally i try to stay away from anything processed like that, though. i kinda wonder how bad it really is.

If you are above this number, cut. If you are below, bulk. Lift heavy ass weights and get enough protein and the rest will take care of itself

It doesn't work like that, lad. If you actually read the sticky, you would see why it's necessary to eat an adequete amount of food (2800 calories per day and 1g protein/lb of bodyweight). You don't have any muscle whatsoever, and you aren't going to get magically ripped from becoming anorexic. This should be apparent to you as you're already at a low bodyfat, and you have no definition whatsoever.
Run GSLP and actually read the sticky

>processed
There's that word again

you are processed you fucking abomination, just take the fucking protein powder

There's organic, grass fed whey, but its expensive

Oh boy here come the strength fags

dude, I understand this and have been eating at sub 500. At was at the behest of other anons that I cut first, as my bf% was about 17-18%. I've been eating between 180-200g of protein p day. I know I wont be ripped, but I just quite honestly want rid of my fucking bellyfat before doing anything.

144lbs is actually pretty fat for me. feel like this may be more true for cis males than anyone else.

>There's that word again
yes. it's a four-letter word.

okay? i'll make my own decision here but your opinion is appreciated. will need to do more research. could be that the basic bitch whey is perfectly benign. i just don't know right now...

might do that. i'm used to paying a premium for my food. only the best for me :)

It’s not in your cards kiddo. You need to go on hormones. Estrogen if you want to be a trap or testosterone if you want to be buff

also just to clarify-

i SHOULD expect to keep making gains while cutting? i can increase the amount i lift even while on a cut?

>Wants abs
>Doesn't build ab muscles

Cutting alone isnt going to give you abs. like said, you need muscle. Cutting is for taking away the bf to reveal the muscle. If you have no muscle, you're just going to be skinnyfat or a skele.

Sorry that I misunderstood, man. What sort of exercise do you do?

As I said to prev user, I want to get out of skinnyfat before lean bulking. If i go to skelly so be it. Thats why I asked how much more weight anons think I need to lose before getting to a bf% where bulking would be efficient.

No problem hahaha I just want out of skinnyfat hell desu man. Running ivysaur 4-4-8 for heavy compounds and some volume. A day of cycling and HIIT.

121 squat
100 bench
143 dedi

That's stupid. Really stupid. You can easily see your ribs, collar bones, and shoulder bones, you're already skinny enough.
You're just going to put on more fat when you're bulking anyway, since you're going from such a deficit to a surplus. Then your dumbass is just going to cut all your gains away if you're too scared to get near 15%bf. You may as well not even lift or hop on roids.

You're doing it wrong, but it's not my body, so whatever.

Nice, given your goals, you might want to start focusing on cardio and calisthenics before you decide to go on a lean bulk. Your body will be able to recover better from things like pull ups and push ups.

Listen faggot, here is the answer to your question. Go ahead, lose 5 to 10 more pounds, it wont make a difference. You have much bigger problems on your hands. Start a progressive strength training program and slowly bulk for the next 3 years. Put on about 40 pounds of bodyweight. After that, you can cut and actually not look like a twink. Use roids if you want

>heavy compounds and some volume. A day of cycling and HIIT.

what a mess

>135lbs, which is about 20-25lbs overweight for my frame
How manlet are you?

i just wants abs aaaaaaaaaa

right bitches, thnx for the roasting, I'll go down another 10lbs max then if i still look like a complete genetic nightmare I'll switch to maintenance for a month then bulk. also p sure ivysaur is strength.

Seriously listen to this, user. You're going to look like shit and not have abs unless you put on mass. Bulk hard asap to ~15% bf, no more than 18% for a full year. Then cut and you'll at least be otter mode if you're not training too stupidly.

Many of us here, myself included, were once skeles or skinnyfats. We're trying to get you to not make the mistakes we did when we started.

like i said before i'm 5'6" mtf. here i am, pic taken yesterday. this is my 135lb body. see all the bellyfat?

I truly appreciate the advice, but Im already 16-18% bf?? according to a scanner in gym (possible discrepancy(. the photo I posted may make me look too skelly.

Here's another photo from last week.

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

>mtf

>he fell for the trap meme
never gonna make it
sage

you cant fool me

You don't look too bad D E S U
Height/weight?

I don't know how accurate 16% would be, scanners and scales generally overestimate. You just seem to genertically store fat in the front of your lower abs (which is normal for men). I'd still say bulk and lift heavier. you might have near enough to be ottermode, but after cutting you'll prob just be skele.

Better to organise your training in hypertrophy and strength as separate blocks, this is the only way to cut without your programming constantly changing due to strength losses

Cut during the high volume to retain maximum muscle and cut during strength to retain motor patterns and ability to lift weight. I'd opt for the former as muscle is tougher to recover

What about strength? My lifts are going up but i've been sort of stuck in these weights for the past 2 months. Are strength gains slower when cutting? if so, then why do people expect me to hit 1/2/3/4 as fast as someone who started bulking?

>Are strength gains slower when cutting?
Depends how far you cut and how big your deficit is.
>why do people expect me to hit 1/2/3/4 as fast as someone who started bulking?
You probably won't.

>ottermode
5"7 125lbs (after losing 13lbs)
As I said, I'll try to get the fucking fat off by xmas at latest/ another 10lbs at which point my BMI will be be fucked. But yeah, it probably is the case with genetics. If that fails, then I'll dive back into a surplus and progressive overload . appreciate the advice brooo.

>transgirl
you mean a guy with a mental disorder

kg or lbs?

lbs dude lol

>0.5-1lb per week
WEAK SHIT

>see all the bellyfat?
I want to squeeze it and then cum on it you made it bb girl now get out of my dreams and make it into my car and into

Aim for at least 150 at your height for an acceptable physique. You're already below "small" for your height. You can tell why Veeky Forumsizens are telling you to stop bullshitting and start putting on mass - you've got a long way to go, and you're going to have to put on some fat.
Also don't use BMI, use FFMI.

you should understand that you're going to have a miserable fucking time trying to cut below 135 because it's going to take more time to lose a pound because of how low your BMR/TDEE are likely to be
also - are you already on hormones? because that is explicitly going to influence where you store and lose fat. here's the extra shitty news: at 5'6" and 135, that's basically going to be your shitty fat pattern because that's pretty much how women store fat.
If you really can't be convinced to do a slow bulk and try to put on some muscle, maybe go up to 142, then I'd suggest just attempting to do a recomp rather than a full on cut.

but it's your choice. you can cut into a tiny weak 125lb fart in the wind if you want to.

WHat if I recomp?

Eat big on lift days and IF on rest??

>at 5'6" and 135, that's basically going to be your shitty fat pattern because that's pretty much how women store fat.
what does this sentence mean? what is a fat pattern, and why is mine shitty?

i've been on hrt for years and in that time my lowest weight was 119. that was back when i was super sedentary too, did it all with diet. it's never been too hard for me to get down to the 125 area, and i've spent about half my time there without even meaning to. diet plays a huge role here. for the past few months i've been stress eating which i think is why i'm fat now, unless my metabolism is changing. but up until a few weeks ago my diet was shit for a while.

what's a recomp and why is it better than a cut? i'm fat right now and it kinda bothers me. i can barely fit into my favorite jeans right now (size 2) and can see the difference in weight even in my work clothes...

here is what I did,

basically I lost fat and gained muscle. It's called body recomposition.
it is possible to a certain extent, then after that you have to decide whether to cut further or bulk more.

>can't be convinced to do a slow bulk and try to put on some muscle, maybe go up to 142, then I'd suggest just attempting to do a recomp rather than a full on cut.

If, for example, I am 5"6 147lb with 15% bf should I cut or should I bulk? Last cut I did I reached 140lb but that was hard as fuck for me even doing carb cycling/refeeding. (e.g 1x no carb day, 2x low carb day, 1x refeed and repeat)

I find it harder to cut when you are physically smaller because your TDEE is smaller and you don't really have room to cut calories.

any tips?

Your body doesn't really work like that, and you don't really have enough fat to recomp.

Recomping works on high bf because you're using the fat as excess energy to recover and workout. Unless you're a total noob, you probably won't be able to recomp. If you are still in noob gains period, then do it.

And your diet isn't divided day-to-day. You could lean bulk slowly over a long period of time (multiple years), if you're that paranoid. But it is much easier and quicker to bulk up to a size/strength goal and then cut down.

>I find it harder to cut when you are physically smaller because
People smaller than you do better than you're doing. Stop making excuses.

>i haven't had a flat stomach since high school and that's so sad

Honestly there's very little you can do about that if that's your current weight, Being on hormones doesn't help either obviously.

oath user , you looking fine

>Honestly there's very little you can do about that if that's your current weight,
i don't accept that. fat loss is possible.

of course it is, but it's not always healthy or beneficial hence why your doctor told you to stop being anorexic

read stubborn fat loss by lyle mcdonalds.
if you are desperate then follow his guidelines to the TEE and you will definitely get what you are looking for. Just be weary it ain't easy, puts stress on your body and what you do AFTER you lose the weight and finish the program is just as important so you don't gain it all back.

Good luck user.

Thanks, but I don't know why but when I compare to other's despite being 'lean' i don't look as dry as I would like. Maybe it's too early to tell?

How do you go about calculating your body fat percentage?

he's an endo. used to working with fatass diabetics. he seems to want my weight to stay constant, when it kinda fluctuates without me even doing anything to make it happen.

i don¡t understand why everyone thinks it's impossible for me to lose the fat on a cut? it's not like i've ever really tried it, and i did make it down to 119 a couple years ago. why should i not try a basic cut before doing some extreme program?

>why should i not try a basic cut before doing some extreme program

because it's a waste of time, you'll need the calories and mass to get benefits out of any worthwhile program

my lifts are shit tonight and i think it's because i did my "easy" day yesterday, when i usually do it on tuesdays. normally i get two rest days before my friday heavy lifting day.

so you think maybe it could be because i'm starting my cut today though? seems too early to be affected by a cut but i've only eaten 516kcal so far today. i'll keep the cut up for at least a week, but if my lifts really do turn to complete shit i might have to rethink this.

kinda feel like it's worth a try just to see what happens. really hoping you guys aren't right though. you make it sound like i'm simply destined to be fat for the rest of my life.

>taking HRT that increases body fat
>skeleton grew with male hormones
>thinking 110lbs is healthy/realistic
Sorry, it's just not. Get fit. There are lots of fit chicks that rock 135 and look amazing. Become one of them.

>Sorry, it's just not. Get fit. There are lots of fit chicks that rock 135 and look amazing. Become one of them.
okay, but what does "get fit" even mean? i've been doing a strength training program for a few months now. is that not getting fit?

Women carry body fat on their bellies, hips, and breasts. Men carry it more evenly. Your HRT is changing your fat distribution patterns. You'll lose all your curves before that "belly" flattens out.

You look great, just focus on being fit and strong.

Okay, if we're on the topic of cutting, can someone help me figure this out?
I'm 5'11" and 170lbs and I'm currently trying to cut. I've been on a high protein low carb diet, don't know how well I'm doing at it really. I've been doing the couch to 5k plan and I'm doing a set of pullups every three times a week as well. I don't have good enough weights to be lifting weights and what I'm trying to do is drop my weight to 165lbs and drop my fat % from 16% to 10% or less. I've been at this for a month and a half and I haven't dropped the weight, or my fat percentage either.

What gives? I must be doing something wrong, can anyone help me figure it out?

Dude you cant go by the body standards you want, its what you have. Biologically you are male and should be 130 minimum. You are just skinny fat

you really think i look good? i'm so flabby though lol. if i do lose all my curves it shouldn't be hard to get them back. i mean it's always super easy to put weight on.

why 130 minimum? seems like a pretty arbitrary number. and if i'm skinnyfat shouldn't i lose weight to fix that?

anyway i'm at 1410kcal after i finish my dinner. 91g protein. day 1 has gone pretty well. i'm gonna see this through for at least a week and then reassess. maybe you guys are right but it feel like you're kinda making this stuff up as you go along. like how would you know what my ideal weight is?

i don't even feel hungry and i'm not quite done with my dinner yet.

I want to cream your crop you low test faggot

A transgirl is a girl that operates trans.

For real though, he is not lying. All men are transwomen since trans means across and males are across or opposite from females. Could also mean that this is a girl who has an arm and a leg switched.

Nice. 158lbs at 5'8" is exactly me. 2800-3000kcal maintenance. Just recomping right now but my strength is increasing, so that's nice.

Looks like you have a bit of gyno. Broccoli will help get your test levels up. Good luck getting rid of the man tits.

how much broccoli per day to increase test? already on zinc for a week and a half but no difference

Does somebody have the pushup version of this?

>54.4 kg, 163 cm tall (120 lbs, 5'4) at end of cut (biological female, not trap or trans)
>Goal is 52 kg (114.6 lbs)
>Been plateauing lately
>I do full body lifting 3 times a week, running 2 times, and kickboxing 3 times a week
I feel like I have to do an end sprint, pic related. Would that be fine or would the deficit be too harsh? I've stopped losing weight at a 500 kcal deficit, going for ~700 kcal deficit instead which puts me at eating 1300 kcal a day.

>Be Skinny fat
>Been doing workouts for some time now, looking better
>Thinking maybe i'm closer to 17-19% bf, and soon 12% bf so i can start bulking and get HUGE
>Checked bodyfat today: 22,5%

Am i delusional?

What measurement system did you use

Didn't mesure it myself, it was a personal trainner i asked too

I bought a calipher recentlly, but it haven't arrived yet

The more you eat, the better. It works like an estrogen sponge. Just throw some steamed broccoli or similar foods into your diet each day.

artofmanliness.com/2013/01/18/how-to-increase-testosterone-naturally/

>135lbs, which is about 20-25lbs overweight for my frame
Twink, none of this shit matters for you.

Thanks a lot senpai