Attached: comfy.jpg (312x297, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MrbiSUgZEbg
youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084
youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
youtu.be/81RhewkQbOk
youtube.com/watch?v=9i5gFENX0Lk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ken Burns is a national treasure and belongs in a museum.

Attached: IMG_2485.jpg (2048x1024, 159K)

I keep forgetting that he looks like that.

A national. Treasure.

...honestly I think he'd be fine if he just styled his hair or cut it differently.

Attached: 12829-770x433[1].jpg (770x433, 77K)

Civil War is the best documentary IMHO.
I like the PBS documentary on Napoleon.
youtube.com/watch?v=MrbiSUgZEbg

Honestly doesn't get any more comfy than this. The West comes close, as do a few others like Baseball, but the Civil War strikes the best balance between informative if you want to watch it and comfy if you want to relax and sleep.

Vietnam is good but has some loud bits that lower its comfy level.

If anyone can name something that reaches the heights of The Civil War I will be blown away.

>Soft violin music playing while he details the other fronts of the war

What a wonderful feeling

Attached: 1519218901511.jpg (403x497, 37K)

This is now my on my list
This too

> Belongs in an insane asylum

Yes you do

Attached: 1521832993443.jpg (400x300, 27K)

Hey Ken - slow day at the office?

THIS
I also love the one about WWII too.

Why do losers larp all the time?

The only documentary to have ever made me tear up and swell with emotion.

>Sarah my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me unresistibly on with all these chains to the battle field.

>The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them for so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when, God willing, we might still have lived and loved together, and seen our sons grown up to honorable manhood, around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me — perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar, that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battle field, it will whisper your name. Forgive my many faults and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often times been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness …

>But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the gladdest days and in the darkest nights … always, always, and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath, as the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by. Sarah do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again…

>Sullivan Ballou was killed a week later at the First Battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861.

Attached: 1520097527014.jpg (480x308, 20K)

Shieeeet I was watching this like an hour ago. Good shit.

How's his Vietnam doc? Anywhere I can watch it for free?

Check your public library is all I can say. It used to be offered for free on the PBS website but I guess no longer?

Civil war seemed too "make no mistake, the north was fighting for freedom" for me. I stopped watching halfway through the first episode.

Ken Burns is a liberal, so I'm not surprised he would throw that in there.

Well, they were fighting for emancipation, which is freedom of slaves. But they didn't stop to consider what this might do to the South.

Attached: bowl-cut-for-days.jpg (600x498, 33K)

>Did you ever stop and think of what freeing the oppressed might do to the oppressors?

Who the fuck cares?

you've really created an abomination when the society is dependent on slavery, especially by that point. regardless of the true motivations of the power in the north or the average soldier it had to end. party over. you can't own people anymore. time to learn how to not be a fucking barbarian.

Because they are part of the country, and this refusal to open a difficult, long-running dialogue almost dissolved the Union.

Slavery is obviously an evil, but the results are I think worse. Surely no one thinks blacks are well-off being permanent welfare recipients. And the South is widely derided and mocked by coastal elites. It has been a disaster from day one.

Attached: ww2.jpg (807x605, 89K)

I have this haircut.

They were fighting to subdue the south and save the union, with or without freeing any slaves. Lincoln himself said it. Also reminder that the emancipation proclamation didn't apply to border states or DC

Any remotely decent medieval docus at all?

No, but the 13th amendment that Abraham Lincoln helped pass, did. It wasn't technically ratified until a few months after his death but the point still stands.

youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084

Attached: antietam-lg.jpg (1200x872, 362K)

that gotta be a wig, that shit dont look natural.

Hair aside, everything this man touches turns to gold.

I feel like the war is one of his weaker documentaries. No wear near as good as Civil War, following a few people didn't really work as well since it was a multinational war, and they were all Americans.
That being said, BASEBALL is the true GOAT.

What's a good the on the War of 1812?

For Naval side just read Theodore Roosevelt's book on it. For land side, I dunno, its hard to find unbiased works on it. the bbc has a decent one from the British perspective and pbs has one from the American.

death is so terrifying

it really is. Its such an abrupt end to the thing we've been spent our lives on, literally.

No

>Down this road on a summer day in 1944, the soldiers came. Nobody lives here now. They stayed only a few hours. When they had gone, the community, which had lived for a thousand years, was dead. This is Oradour-sur-Glane, in France. The day the soldiers came, the people were gathered together. The men were taken to garages and barns, the women and children were led down this road, and they were driven into this church. Here, they heard the firing as their men were shot. Then they were killed too. A few weeks later, many of those who had done the killing were themselves dead, in battle. They never rebuilt Oradour. Its ruins are a memorial. Its martyrdom stands for thousands upon thousands of other martyrdoms in Poland, in Russia, in Burma, China, in a world at war.

Attached: 26_1-bp2.jpg (645x436, 22K)

Vietnam War was not a comfy documentary and I blame his choice in composers. The inclusion of Ghosts I-IV made the series 2spooky4me

Attached: 43613.jpg (1200x630, 79K)

You will have to look into Canadian Docs for a good focus on that war. Of course they're jerking off Issac Brock the whole time, but Brock is worthy of that jerking.

youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
Snippet from the doc series Alone in the Wilderness

>Man leaves civilization for Alaska in 1968
>Never looks back
>Doesn't end up like that douchebag who starved to death.

Attached: Alone-In-The-Wilderness-Documentary-Video-1.jpg (960x500, 199K)

Good stuff.

youtu.be/81RhewkQbOk

Air Canada had it on their in-flight system for the flight back from Australia in January. Not only was it great entertainment, the violence and gore made the single mom and loud toddler next to me fuck off to another row.

Great series

This is your brain on dixie.

Attached: Virginians.png (866x808, 870K)

That was soo good.

I'm pretty sure it's a wig.

I just started watching this, gets 10/10 so far. Fucking wilhelm's yacht is ridiculous.

Pretty underrated documentary about Soviet Union during Stalin's Era.

Attached: 81HbmYckHBL._SY445_.jpg (330x445, 43K)

I watched this and found it lacking desu. Footage is great but the colorization looks really fake and out of place, would prefer if it was just B&W in higher resolution. Narration also tends to jump a lot because it's obvious they need to set up the entire war in 5 episodes.

Absolutely based documentary. I think I've watched it 3 times. I feel like I actually understand what happened in FY in the 90s now

Was just watching this, literally sobbed uncontrollably at the beginning, fucking violins bro

youtube.com/watch?v=9i5gFENX0Lk

This one is better

The Great War(1964)

Had actual interviews with veterans because they were still alive

This is my go to for WWI.
For WWII I like The World at War 1973 narrated by Laurence Olivier

From a historical perspective, it was very obviously biased towards North Vietnam.
Technically, it didn't do anything different from his other documentaries. Skip it.

Attached: ad01afcf0b22ecb18e0fe68a3eb864466fca637c36da0cb4e3458279628a47bb.jpg (320x240, 16K)

he had no business doing a jazz series he knew nothing about it and just done whatever Wynton Marsallis told him to.Left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to the rest of his work

It's shit, barely even focusing on the actual warfare.

Did you see Nicholas yatch? Everything was made out of gold.

I must have watched the Burma episode like 4 times by now

Attached: 250px-Worldatwar.jpg (250x288, 16K)

The footages are amazing, and the narration is very poetic. it's not really packed with deep info, but systematically is great. The footage of the marriage of the grand-nephew of Franz Ferdinand. The family footage of Nicholas and Williams yatch were amazing. the footage of royal families were amazing.

This. The same theme throughout, sometimes with a sweet symphony touch, others with a string-dragging rasp, but always achingly soulful. The music made that doc.

Yeah, he's been chasing himself ever since The Civil War, and losing. Sad.

best narration ever

Attached: 1521496774592.jpg (1000x923, 106K)

Still dont understand this meme.
They had plenty of testimonies from non-North soldiers. South Vietnam sorta got shafted but there’s a shit load of American testimonials. And Burns has no issue pointing out North atrocities.
I think the only party he was really partial to were the hippies, which is unsurprising given his anti-war stance.