Just learned that you have to flex your abs hard when squatting and deadlifting

>just learned that you have to flex your abs hard when squatting and deadlifting
>thought i just had a weak lower back but it just got all the weight when stabilizing my core
>immediately put on more kg on my squat
I have been living a lie.

There's tons of video on breathing, and bracing on Youtube if anyone wants more advice on it. It's really helpful stuff.

Make sure you're flexing your abs the right way too. Pushing them out really hard instead of something like a selfie flex.

>not knowing simple things like this
>these are the people giving advice on this board

Came here to say this.

i only recently found out that flexing your core helps with every exercize

no you have to vasalva

Excuse me fucking what nigger I've been sucking them in
I'm supposed to push them out?

take a deep breath and hold it during the rep. Exhale at the top. Do this every rep.

I thought you inhaled while coming down and exhaled when pushing. Won't holding your breath make you pass out? I lift heavy not high volume

Just realized after a few months of lifting I’m supposed to flex the muscle I’m working out during that lift. I had just been limping through everything with loose muscles.

Mfw tan cross country in high school, Coach always told us during runs you should be able to hold a conversation
During races, figured it was the same thing so I’d run pretty easy and spring last 400m while everyone else was basically falling over, didn’t realize until two years later I was supposed to push myself and run fast the whole time
Mfw a month ago realized same thing as OP about squats and dead’s
I’m literally retarted

You can't hold your breath for 5 seconds without passing out? You can forcefully exhale (google valsalva manouver) up, but ffs don't inhale on eccentric

Look up Valsalva maneuver. This is covered in detail in SS, complete with anatomical diagrams.

You've clearly never used a belt or you probs would have learnt this

>not knowing basic stuff
How much you squat pussy

also
>push the bar up with your hands
>weight gets lighter by almost your OHP

Brace your core is literally the first fucking piece of advice pretty much anyone, any piece of literature, any shitty youtube video will tell you, and it took yiu how long to realise?

I bet you think the bar counts too faggot

I'm fat a smoker an asthmatic and deading 225 yeah I'm a bit short on air buddy

I learnt this just now
Am I supposed to do this while benching too

all these fucking CHEATS

Yes, and utilise your legs.

If you have correct form with bench it tends to come naturally when you get to something a bit heavier where you really require effort; you should have a small gap (about a flat hand's worth) between your back and the bench, feet planted flat on the floor, legs bent back slightly.

Also make sure to retract your scapula.

>needing to brace for a 2pl8 dead
what the fuck

2pl8 working dead. I dropped down because I started too heavy. Needed to work on form because my proportions are fucky

Shit meme, kill yourself

How do you keep them flexed during deadlifts? Squats are easy but I can't brace my core on DLs

This is bullshit you dont push the bar w your hands

You can mate, get into position and just brace your entire being.

Also, don't breath when you deadlift. Don't even exhale on the upward motion. It compromises core stability and might be where you're going wrong.

Its why you get a lot of grunting/moaning/deep breathing at the end of a rep and before going into the next movement.

I exhale at the top of the movement about 7/10 times when going heavy. I managed to get to 150kg 1RM and my DL never felt right. I think I'm lifting too much with my back anyway. My spinal erectors are fried but everything else is pretty much fine.

This is why u always double check Veeky Forums

Wont this push your guts ouyt your asshole?

Just tried to simulate this and I shit myself
Thanks

Are ... Are you serious? You just figured this out?

I guess better late than never ... But jeez.

Please respond

Yes. DO NOT DO IT.

Wait, so to brace my core, am I supposed to just flex my abs, or suck my stomach in, or push it out?

I wish there was a bacon buffet where I could eat bacon off naked girls

My form was breaking for squat reps of 170lb.

I tried a friends belt for the first time and I could do 225lb easy. A new PR.

Is a belt cheating, or does it strengthen the core more? Do 50$ 4" cheap belts form amazon do the job?

It allows for more abdominal usage, though its' still worthwhile to do some beltless work (both because the way of generating tightness is slightly different between the two and because forgoing the belt is a little less stressful rep for rep).

Never used them, can't comment.

The belt helps you keep your back straight, because you're not using your core.

>Low bar squats (slipped disc, can't hibar anymore)
>5 bodyweight squats
>Hold breath for 50 seconds
>Continue holding
>get in position red leader
>Squat 2x bodyweight for 7 reps
>still holding breath on rep 7
>Rerack
>fall down
>get up
>Do it again two more times
>Fall asleep in the squat rack for two hours
>wake up and leave
I just want nobody to think about lifting in my squat rack

How is bracing your core going to do that?

Have you ever done a squat in your life?

Holy shit, whats wrong with this board. Tense your core right now and bodyweight squat. Does it feel like you're taking a shit? You're not bracing your core you're using your anus you fucking moron. You should also be utilising your glutes, which again should feel the exact opposite of pushing shit out your asshole.

I've heard this but i find it impossible to do, the movement is antithetical to tensing them.

Tightening your abs raises pressure in your abdominal cavity. Straining and pushing does so even more. It's unironically a massive cause of prolapse and hemorrhoids.

nigga the conversations is to fuckinng build up your lungs

Did you win anyways? Because that would just mean you kicked their asses.

Something that helped me tremendously for the last week is following Brian Alsruhe advice for OHP, especially gripping the bar as hard as you can, as if your life depended on it.
I applied that to squats and bench too and oh boy i breaked my plateau.
Contract your whole body as hard as you can and see the results.

are you serious? i always just flexed them inwards and wondered why my lower back starts hurting after 1 or 2 weeks. thank you for this

What if you have asthma?

everything you just said is absolutely irrelevant to lifting 2pl8s off the ground, holy fuck you're disgusting and retarded.

>being fat and prone to having your airways close doesnt affect your ability to breathe while lifting things off the ground
Shoo brainlet