Justify this (taken from Lumen gentium), Catholics

Justify this (taken from Lumen gentium), Catholics.

Attached: Screenshot_20180323-182140.jpg (1920x835, 790K)

>Muslims
>professing to hold the faith of Abraham
This is true. Muslims do ~say~ they hold the faith of Abraham.
>adore the one and merciful God
They do.
>who on the last day will judge mankind
Yep, they think that along with us.

What's your hang up?

>They do
Except they don't. If I claim to enjoy Beethoven's Für Elise as a cheerful ballad in G Major written by Schubert, am I really enjoying Beethoven's Für Elise?
They do not recognise the one and merciful God, they deny Him, lie about Him. The "God" that they serve is in so many ways different: In what sense can it be said that they adore Him?
And I haven't even yet talked about Election, since you Catholics have difficulty with that. But there is no way to the Father but through the Son, at least that much you must see.

>lumen gentium
>catholic
dark times we live in

Let's say we go outside together and I say "look at that chick wearing that Prada dress, isn't she gorgeous?". If the chick in question isn't actually wearing a Prada dress but some knock-off copy of it, does it follow that I wasn't referring to her in my comment? Of course not.

>they deny Him, lie about Him

Which is it? Deny and worship another OR lie about the same? :^)

>The "God" that they serve is in so many ways different

Different understanding. Duh, its a different religion.

>In what sense can it be said that they adore Him?

Worshiping 5 times a day?

Muslims and Catholics both ascribe to a platonic/Aristotelian cosmology afaik

Jesus is God.

Would that matter more at a fashion show?

Would that matter even more at a Prada ad shoot?

Pretty much. Pagans gotta do what pagans gotta do, and the Romans and Arabs are nothing if not pagans.

It would matter as a mistake, it wouldn't matter as to who I'm referring to.
THat is, if God is triune, the muslims are fundamentally and seriously wrong about God, but that would not mean they're not referring to God when they talk about him, like I would still be referring to the same person even if it wasn't actually a chick but a guy in drag.

Perhaps, perhaps not. At some point it stops being the same person that we're talking about.
But if we're specifically admiring her dress, say, and you say: Isn't her long, red Prada dress beautiful? when in actual fact it is a short, green dress from Zara, are we really admiring the same dress?
When we Christians talk about a merciful God, we certainly don't mean merciful in a way that could be predicated of Allah as Muslims understand him.

They deny Christ, who is God, and lie about God, saying, for example, that he chose Mohammed to be his prophet.

At what point does it stop to be a different understanding of the same thing?

Yes, very clever.

Says the heretic. You and Muslims are brothers.

Attached: 1415324078246.jpg (640x640, 117K)

And we haven't even discussed that the text implies salvations for Muslims, who deny the Son and the Holy Ghost.

>we certainly don't mean merciful in a way that could be predicated of Allah as Muslims understand him

Have you read the quran? Every other phrase is like 'Allah the most merciful, the most powerful'.

Everyone has the potential for salvation.

>mean merciful in a way
Please reread what I said. Mercy as understood by Muslims is different from mercy as we understand it.

Potential which cannot be actualised but through the Son.

It's saying that Muslims (as all people) have some role in God's plan in some way we don't fully know, and they are closer to the possibility of salvation than other non-Christians (since they acknowledge the God of Abraham and that Jesus was at least divinely inspired as a prophet); it's not their fault they don't have full opportunity to join the Church. It doesn't say that Muslims will receive salvation the same way that faithful Christians do, either.

>But if we're specifically admiring her dress, say, and you say: Isn't her long, red Prada dress beautiful? when in actual fact it is a short, green dress from Zara, are we really admiring the same dress?
You're misunderstanding my objection: I'm not saying that there being contradictory descriptions of someone can not be evidence that the person being described is actually two different individuals, I'm saying that it's not *necessarily* evidence of that. If someone has a mistaken belief concerning someone else, that doesn't mean he's not referring to that person when he talks about it. Let's say someone misunderstands me when I talk politics and they describe me as being left wing. Anyone that really knows me will go "wait what?" but that doesn't mean the person describing me as a leftist is not referring to me.
When it comes to Allah, there are a lot of fundamental properties shared with the God of the christians: being the only God, being uncreated, being above all beings, not being made of parts, existing necessarily and so on, that are much more fundamental and therefore indicative of muslims and christians referring to the same thing when they talk about God than stuff like "salvation is obtained this way" or "God likes pork/no he doesn't".