Are there any commercial HR monitors that can do an ECG trace?

Are there any commercial HR monitors that can do an ECG trace?
I don't expect 12 lead holter-monitor quality, but i want more info than god damn RR

Other urls found in this thread:

lifeinthefastlane.com/ecg-library/basics/qt-prolongation-drugs/
desuarchive.org/r9k/thread/39805549/#q39805564
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2119637
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Medfag here, what information are you hoping to get from it? Is there some particular concern you have?

i don't think we have the technology to get an EKG reading from a single point user, just get the ones clinics use to monitor patients over a long period. It'll be costly though.

medfag, my concern is not an acute concern but a chronic concern about the natural state of medicine. i've been fully checked out both by medical professionals and my own retarded insanely high autistic standards and have no problems or concerns

i am an engineerfag in the healthcare field in a healthcare company, and it existentially and philosophically pisses me off that there is such a lack of data and objective science in medicine (for reasons i fully understand and accept)

(for instance, what is the normal range for resting heart rate? at what point is there concern?

nobody can fucking answer this
even when you average all human beings, the range is fucking STILL either 50-90 or 60-100 bpm)

my problem and question is this

i strap a monitor with DIRECT ELECTRICAL CONTACT TO MY HEART TO MY BODY

this can deliver a SHIT TON of information regarding every single fucking beat of my heart

yet it is IRREVERSIBLY REDUCED to just a "heart rate"?

this is an abortion of potential

You can buy a kardia monitor for 99$, it gives you a 2 lead EKG which you can

>use between your hands for the `standard` measurement
>measure between points on your chest for a direct measurement

don't tell me that a 99$ specialized patient-initiated-event-monitor-thing is somehow way ahead of HR monitors that fucking cost hundreds of god damn dollars for some stupid fucking reason.

what on earth is wrong with you

I realize how bad things are, relative to how good they could (and thus, should) be.

Pray you never come to the same realization.

Okay, let me explain as best I can.

>
i am an engineerfag in the healthcare field in a healthcare company, and it existentially and philosophically pisses me off that there is such a lack of data and objective science in medicine (for reasons i fully understand and accept)

Yes, because not all information is useful (i.e. does not help us find a problem we can actually do anything about).

> for instance, what is the normal range for resting heart rate? at what point is there concern? nobody can fucking answer this

I don't know why nobody could answer that. Anything below 50 and it's considered bradycardia, anything above 95-100 and it's tachycardia. At that point they go "Woah shit there's something going on," and then they get the 12 lead EKG and start trying to figure things out.

> if i strap a monitor with DIRECT ELECTRICAL CONTACT TO MY HEART TO MY BODY this can deliver a SHIT TON of information regarding every single fucking beat of my heart

True, but do you know how to read and interpret any of that information?

Like... I feel like you are kind of fixated on the idea of more knowledge being better, but that's really not the case.

>I don't know why nobody could answer that. Anything below 50 and it's considered bradycardia, anything above 95-100 and it's tachycardia. At that point they go "Woah shit there's something going on," and then they get the 12 lead EKG and start trying to figure things out.

You know the threshold of bradycardia differs between 60 and 50bpm depending on who you ask (and where they were educated/what their background is)?

>True, but do you know how to read and interpret any of that information?

>Like... I feel like you are kind of fixated on the idea of more knowledge being better, but that's really not the case.
The point is not interpreting the data, the point is having the data.

the point is irreversible data loss, which is abhorrant.

more data is _always_ better than less data, and we as a species are throwing so much of it away that we need to keep individuals alive longer with higher quality of life.

What's better, having data from a 24hr 12 lead EKG of a patient with acute symptoms, or having decades of data from a 2 lead ekg (measured between points on the chest, e.g what people fundamentally take when they use a HR montior) and a 12 lead ekg?

i don't, by any means, mean to harp on you by any means. by engaging me in this conversation i already estimate you to be in the top 5% of medical professionals

i mean to harp on humanity and the state of medicine.

Why is having data valuable if you do not interpret and use it?

The diagnostic value of decades of EKG data might be somewhat useful, but only somewhat. I mean, what would it tell you, that a bad hypertensive who is slowly going into heart failure is going into heart failure? It's not like we wouldn't already know that's what did it.

"Oh, the guy's on 5 hypertension meds for his 200/150 blood pressure but he doesn't take any of them, and as far as we can tell he lives on a diet of donut burgers? But now he's in heart failure, interesting, I wonder if we can figure out what caused it!"

...And then you treat it pretty much the same regardless of what caused it.

I suppose it could be useful to have advanced biometric data on more people, but the main practical problems there are:

1. As above, it might not even be that useful

2. A shitton of people would NOT comply with it. They already do not take their medications or take care of their diet/exercise, they already do not come to their checkups, so why would they suddenly become compliant with extensive monitoring of all kinds of other stuff?

You, realistically, are in the top 0.01% of patients for even remotely giving a shit about any of this.

Seriously, your attitude towards this is so uncommon that it will never be mass accepted and you really might as well shell out for your own medical equipment if that's something you think is important to do. I think there are clinics out there that will let you pay cash to have more extensive lab work done on an elective basis too.

You could do that yourself and save it in some kind of file, along with a detailed history of your own health and any health issues in your family tree, all in a big folder and really be a huge help in case anything ever goes wrong with you.

stop caring about stupid shit that won't matter and go lift faggot

>your cardiovascular system won't matter
?

you are fine, quit whining and go lift

you think more people would have a tism fit if they saw their EKG on a normal basis? my bet is that this guy would be a frequent flier with his cardiologist if he knew exactly how many PVC's he had on a daily basis

I have had zero PVCs or PACs over 72 hours measured over the last 5 months.

Do you understand just how fundamentally and philosophically unacceptable it is that ectopic beats are that common among the human race? It makes me fucking sick to think about how fucking SHIT AND GARBAGE THE HUMAN BODY IS

Sounds like you've got a real hard case of the 'tism my friend.

ya whatever, you might as well live your life in a radiation suit with a tinfoil hat for good measure

I have useful and functional autism, the kind that pushes forward science and humanity

i'm also metacognizent enough to largely turn it on or off as the situation dictates
and since this is fucking Veeky Forums, it's set to maximum overdrive

the human body is shit and not engineered but a random thing that evolved from garbage

it is the duty of every intelligent human to revolt against this biological slavery

>useful and functional autism

what do you contribute to humanity, coposter?

>automaticity is a bad thing
i've seen 3 cases of spontaneously terminating torsades de pointes, so I'm gonna disagree with you

also, quit being fucking autistic

>coposter

Are you fucking insane? Even one instance of torsades de pointes is cause for concern. Describe the patient in which it was made mnanifest

>pt took a handful of pills
>family member called it in
>get him in the rig and hook him up to the monitor
>half way to the hospital he goes into torsades
>faints
>ohshit
>torsades stop
>he wakes up
>torsades
don't fuck with QT prolonging drugs

I don't touch shit that can affect complex timing. Fuck. That. Noise.

Also what pills did he take?

fuck dude, you don't need a fucking heart rate monitor, you need anti-psychotics to stop your delusional paranoia

QT prolonging ones. I don't fuck with HIPAA
lifeinthefastlane.com/ecg-library/basics/qt-prolongation-drugs/

I'm not crazy, I'm just ahead of the curve

That's what got me into bitcoin 6 years ago.

how did you ascertain that his condition was pharmacologically induced then

people usually dont go into TdP spontaneously. he took a drug that causes QT prolongation and we recorded the R on T that caused it, then spontaneously returned to a sinus tachy after a few seconds

the human heart is fucking retarded

i guess i cannot properly convey how much i hate it and how fucking dumb it is and how fucking vastly inferior it is to a properly designed and engineered organ

>literally has a fucking secondary pacemaker built in (sinoatrial node)

EVEN THE HUMAN BODY, EVOLVED AND MINDLESS AS IT IS, RECOGNIZES THAT THE HUMAN HEART IS _SHIT_ AND BUILDS IN A BACKUP

dont worry too much, you'll have a heart attack

>having an objective opinion about how shit human physiology is anxiety
simply epic

take it easy sped, you'll go vaso-vagal if you frown too hard

perhaps this is the problem

i'm conversing with people who speak english, and are probably americans, a double negative.

people like that don't grok things like Weltschmerz

>T. 14 year old who just read their first Anatomy & Physiology textbook.

The human body is not a perfect pinnacle of evolution - No shit sherlock. It gets the job done though.

You know what you do when you've got an 80 year lady sitting in front of you with a BNP (Heart failure marker) through the roof but is otherwise well in herself? Fucking nothing, if she good - why bother kicking up a fuss.

>i only see old and diseased people so FUCK scientific medicine
fuck off and kill yourself nigger

some of us are pushing medicine forward
it sure as fuck isn't people like you

>It gets the job done though.
FUNDAMENTALLY
UNACCEPTABLE

IT'S BAD
IT MUST BE MADE BETTER
HUMANITY
MUST
PUSH
FORWARD
AGAINST
ITS
BIOLOGICAL
CHAINS

Intervention isn't always key kiddo.

Okay dude, what you clearly do not know is that failsafes are a sign of good rather than bad engineering.

So far my opinion of you is that your opinions extend far beyond your knowledge. You need to relax. Sounds like you probably neurologically cannot, but it'd be great if you could.

>invention is bad
and letting disease progress is bad?

you do realize that human beings are logical creatures and if you can show them OBJECTIVE SCIENTIFIC AND MATHEMATICAL PROOF that their lifestyle is harmful and will cost them between X and Y years of their life they will change their habits?

What specialty are you trying to go into? Or are you already past medical school? I consider the latter unlikely, but i do not rule it out.

its the rules of medicine senpai
>all bleeding eventually stops
>all patients eventually die
>if you drop the baby, pick it up
>know where all your mistakes are buried

Care to explain this post/thread?

desuarchive.org/r9k/thread/39805549/#q39805564

>SA node is the second pacemaker
niggawut.jpg

Someone's found the "for professionals" button on WebMD

It might be logical to assume that, unfortunately the real world has a tendency of throwing theory out the window. Treating some patients actually makes them worse!

Sounds like shit, but I can back it up with my experiences as a junior resident and a few papers from the American Medical Association, heres one:
>jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2119637

To paraphrase the Fat man from the infamous book "House of God":
>The delivery of good medical care is to do as much nothing as possible.

>this level of autism
My sides have been destroyed.

>anyone who has done any research or learned anything is reading webmd

neck yourself, you worthless dunning krugerite.

It is you mongoloid.

My mistake was posting this on Veeky Forums and not Veeky Forums

new docs go wild when they see my 38 bpm resting heart rate

shit tons of cardio?

I see people with all sorts of fucked up heart conditions that don't effect anything.

what is your profession
what are the demographics or common factors of said fucked up people

Respiratory medicine.
They're fat.

Are you thinking AV node? Because that's the actual secondary pacemaker. All normally conducted beats come from the SA node. The actual rate the SA node fires is a synthesis of electrical, neural, and hormonal signals but the SA node is the primary pacemaker.

And yes, when people misinterpret health info it's usually because they've read something beyond their understanding

>Respiratory medicine.
That's a field, not a profession.

What's your degree in?

just sprinting though and if I do decide to run for awhile I never do over a mile

>The actual rate the SA node fires is a synthesis of electrical, neural, and hormonal signals

this is inferior to what it should be

So you do HIIT then

yeah but i usually go for about a 45 sec - 1 min sprint and I do about a 30 second rest

SSRIs are good goyim