Are there more history games than the Paradox shit?

And do not demand too many requirements.

Attached: 343.png (413x392, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=tactical wargames similar to total war
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wrong board
Anyway, old Total Wars and old Civ games

Crusader Kings 2 still is the best historical RPG though

Depends on what level of accuracy you're willing to accept, and the genres you're interested in. By and large Paradox games are the best that's offered, sad as it is, but if you don't mind history being more a fact of themes than accuracy, civilization and total war are decent.
If you like city builders, Caesar and all Sierra games.
If you like business sims, Patrician and Port Royale.
I personally loathe it, but lots of people adore the Anno series.

There's quite a few wargames by Matrix Games.

>And do not demand too many requirements.
t. poorfag

Geberal guideline is that vidya threads are allowed but movie threads are highky discouraged

>civ
>history game

lel

Try Medievall 2 with Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP)

Total war is shit and civ is not a history game

There are but if you think paradox games are shit you won't like any of them. Once you start playing GSG games it's hard to enjoy anything else

Slitherine and Matrix have entire catalogs of historic war games. Some are researched to such a painstaking level that they can tell you who was in charge down to the squad level or what the weather was like at an exact moment.

The CMANO stuff seems interesting but plopping down 100$+ for what looks like Harpoon lite has me kinda meh

>lite
CMANO is unironically used by several militaries for real-life theory application because it's so realistic. There's a reason it's so expensive.

>Total war is shit
Fucking what, there's literally nothing else like it out there.

>there's literally nothing else like it out there
It's a tactical wargame that's so arcadey it would be better to call it an RTS with turn-based campaign elements. There are thousands like it, many far more realistic. It's just the most popular series of a niche genre.

what I like the most about total war is the spectacle really, the map and the strategy is just there to tie it all together. A battle feels way more epic if it has had a lot of build up or if it is really important to your personal cause.

Each patch to hoi4 kills it a little more. It's unplayable now. Nothing but yes men on the forums now

Pretty sure you just have an agenda. The Total War games are great and I guarantee you can't name one game like it with anywhere near the level of production values.

just play hoi3 (with a mod like black ICE maybe) or turboautism games like War in the West or War in the Pacific which take literally as long as the war they feature if you REALLY want to wargame WWII

>Pretty sure you just have an agenda
I'm not even the person you're replying to. I'm just responding to your stupid comment.

>The Total War games are great
They're okay. I wouldn't call them great by any means.

>I guarantee you can't name one game like it with anywhere near the level of production values
I can name several like it, but you're correct in that they don't have the same level of production value because they're niche games not meant for a mainstream audience. Tactical wargames with RTS style control didn't start with TW, I hope you realize. Nice moving the goalposts from "there's nothing like it" to "there's nothing like it with as much money sunk into it" btw.

That's a lot of words to say "Sorry, you're right. There really is nothing like Total War out there."
Get the fuck out of my face, CA sucks ass but Total War is fine.

>There really is nothing like Total War out there
>I WIN BECAUSE I MOVED THE GOALPOSTS! HA HA
lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=tactical wargames similar to total war

Would you reccomend it as a game?

>games that combine in depth turn based campaign with RTS field battles

He's right sweetie, pls name me a few titles that come close. Im only aware of a few actual rip offs

>REALLY want to wargame WWII
That's not what I meant. Sandboxing is too fun

AoE 2

>Total War
>in depth campaign
OH NO NO NO NO NO

It's a ridiculously simple game. I can't imagine that anyone over the age of 13 would enjoy it.

VELITES!

Attached: download (11).jpg (177x284, 8K)

fucking four fake years of my life down the drain

Attached: degaulle.png (600x553, 240K)

That and unlike Paradox games, you can use Total War's battles to pull off some unlikely victories. Do you think your grand strategy's number crunchers care if you position your men like the battle of Watling Street? No, every one of your soldiers will be slaughtered to a man.

Ye, by abusing the stupid AI over and over again you can "pull off some unlikely victories", great games. Or head on to multiplayer where you face some faggot that deploys his pikes/phalanx along the complete width of the whole battle map. Big fun.

Gee wilikers user, you sure do sound like fun. I can't wait to hear the kind of fun games you like to play golly gee.

Also, are there any grand strategy games with a focus on economy? Or just that do economics in a good and engaging way?

I admittedly haven't played Paradox games that much, just EU3, CK1 and EU Rome, but they seem to be mostly focused on either military or a way too structured diplomacy, tho never both at once.

Victoria 2 is focused on meme-economics.

Do you mean that literally or trying to insult the game in some way?

Hate to tell you this but outside the realms of /v/ people actually like fun games

Depends on how autistic you are. If you're not a turbo autist then it probably isn't for you, but a game good enough for BAE Systems and the US DoD is worth recommending if you have the patience for it.

Victoria 2 is literally focused on industrilising your country (+ painting the map if you want to)

He's doing both. The economics in Vicky are fairly simplified and easy to game once you understand how it relates to pops but it's probably the best historical economic "focused" (since it's focused on pops and not the economy it's hard to say that). That being said, the global economy's undying thirst for liquor is retarded.

Civ and Total War.

but I stopped playing both years ago.
Battles are OK in Total War, I wish paradox games had something like that. But the last campaign I really enjoyed was in Shogun 2.

Civ I lost interest at IV. III was the last one really played. I used to play that for days on end. It's nice playing a civilization from the bronze to the modern age. But its just too gamey for me. Its designed by people who read a wiki article once in middle school. You have a single eternal leader and then like one unique unit, and the rest is the same as all the other civilizations.

Age of Empire can be fun, but its not a marathoning game, its basically Starcraft but set in history.

For me, nothing holds a candle to Paradox.

Attached: 1396916883850.png (981x719, 223K)

>nothing holds a candle to Paradox.
Unfortunately this is true

What a sad sad state for the strategy games genre

What's sad about that? Other than their billion DLC for every game?
I think Paradox is going a good job at catering to a niche market.

About my only complaint is I wish there was a battle system in there. Even if it was AoE tier.

I was just describing its representation of national and worldwide economic activities; nevertheless, even "real life" economics is nothing but a caricature of everything that really happens in an economy (for the sake of simplicity).

Paradox games are way too fucking simplistic and streamlined. Even the older ones.

>Empire Earth 2
>Cossacks
>American Conquest

Those are my personal picks for god-tier historical games, tho EE2 is more alt-history wank than actual history.

Cossacks and American Conquest are RTSs on the AoE1 engine that have bigger battles than any Total War.

EE2 lets you play from the stone age into the far future, it's fun to nuke cavemen Inca as space-age Aztecs.

American Conquest was the first game that made me really think about economics, since strategic resources are REALLY strategic and often limited, and you have to feed your troops and give them ammo, and also capture slaves and spices because ofc.

Europa Barbourum for Rome total war. It's even got autism with ancient languages

Τhey're pretty much glorified board games, their complexity comes from a shit tutorial and a shitty nonsensical buildings system.
Still good though, especially CK2 since it's a GREAT RPG but there is still a gap about detailed history games :(

People shitting on TW while praising EU4 are weird since the campaign is basically the fucking same depth wise

>AoE1 engine
How? They're better than AoE2

Not gonna lie, I bought Jade Dragon just to support them and didn't even play more than 3 hours of it.

idk man, ebin slav magic.

Also I'd recommend Cossack 2 despite it's bad reputation, if you have patience for micromanaging hell it nails a very sweet spot between realism and game, but tilted slightly more towards realism, which is probably why people don't usually like it.

Attached: ss_c9a5ddec5973e35a48a4f37dc785c130f2d98c46.1920x1080.jpg (1434x1049, 531K)

Knights of Honor. The campaign map is real time tho.

The real time battles in it were a bit shitty if I recall correctly, but I haven't played it a lot desu.

I've been playing eu3 DW for about 7 years now, is eu4 better or isn't here no need to switch?

EU4 with all the DLCs is better but you may as well just pirate all the DLC since huge chunks of it are just quite literally buttons and shortkeys bundled into some event packs.

Is that new "Medievil Kingdom Wars" game any good? Just came out and looks like an RTS Strategy set in the hundred years war.

Is Vicky 1 good for economics too? I've had it for a while but I've never played it.

Victoria 1's world economy is even more broken and fucked than 2's

>he only plays vanilla

Opinion discarded