Was king John Lackland really that bad? Why was he considered a tyrannical king? Educate me on him, anons

Was king John Lackland really that bad? Why was he considered a tyrannical king? Educate me on him, anons.

Attached: iron.jpg (1264x536, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_IV_of_England
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is that the guy that plays john adams?

You fucker, I was about to say that.

He played John Lackland in the movie Ironclad. His name is Paul Giamatti.

he was more weak than tyrannical, but definitely bad

He wasn't a bad king, he was just too autistic for anybody to like and ruined relations with the english vassals and french kings

He usurped the throne, killed Arthur of brittany, lost England's french lands, held nobles' sons as hostage for ransom, taxed nobles under pretence of war and ruined foreign relations
Other than that 'e were a lad cuz 'e could speak english like wot the common folk does

Bump

is he the king from robin hood?

Yea. He the bad one, richard the good one

yay

does richard kill him in the movie?

who plays richard? michael fassbender?

>John Lackland

You mean Jehan "Sans-Terre" de Plantagenet, right?

I think you forgot a 'monsieur oui hon hon' in there

Yes. He was so bad that Henry 4th declared him illegitimate. Dude basically lost all of his grandfather’s gains and then some more.

*father

He got dealt a pretty shit hand due to his brother's even worse rule, but he also behaved pretty badly.

Was this the king that converted to Islam?

Well he lacked land for one.

bump

>be king
>lack land
>good

John spoke English. At this point the nobility was starting to speak English.

John's arguably the first English king since Harold.

>De Plantagenet

Oh look, the retard who doesn't understand anything about English history is back.

user, most of the nobility switched to English mid 12th century. Only high ranking earls and the king preferred French at this point

>John spoke English
He may have spoken some broken English as he was pretty educated (unlike his brother), but it wasn't his native language
The first post-1066 English king to speak English natively was Henry IV, born in 1399

>At this point the nobility was starting to speak English.
Yeah nah not in the 12th century
Angevin kings started to really master English in the late 13th century
Reminder that John was the son of a French immigrant and that his brother, the famed Richard, couldn't speak a word of English

His brother was well educated, also he was raised by an English wet nurse

Just because he rubbed his tongue against her wetness doesn't mean he learned her tongue

L-lewd

He wasn't that bad, just really autistic and didn't understand that people dislike taxes, even if they're necessary ones. Most of his bad reputation comes from Jewish slander on him in the 19th and early 20th century.

In Robin Hood it’s suppoused to take place whilst Richard the lion heart is crusading and placed John as his regent

>The first post-1066 English king to speak English natively was Henry IV, born in 1399
No Henry IV was the first since Harald Godwinson to use English at his coronation

ewww why would he want to speak English?

Because he ruled England and the elite was becoming increasingly connected to the country it ruled over.

And the first since God"win"son to speak English natively

>Henry's mother was Blanche, heiress to the considerable Lancaster estates, and thus he became the first King of England from the Lancaster branch of the Plantagenets and the first King of England since the Norman Conquest whose mother tongue was English rather than French.[3]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_IV_of_England

He was the retarded younger brother that fucked up everything given to him. He was just as hot tempered as his father and brother, but had none of the martial or political talent.
He lost a chess game as a child, accused the other boy of cheating, knocked the kid's teeth out with the board, then tried to have his dad execute the kid. When he was an adult he confiscated the guys land. He once started a war in Ireland after getting drunk by trying to cut the beards of the chieftains off with a knife. He strangled his 13 year old nephew to death for the crown. He lost the crown jewels in the sea. His kingdom was held together by his mother and William Marshall.

The original stories actually take place during the reign of one of the early Edwards. Lionheart and the Crusades were added later.

He was in contact with one of the Muslim kings of Spain, and threatened to convert to Islam if the Church didn't give him his way.

Richard tanked the economy with his ransom on top of his Crusade. However if he had survived he could have made a lot of the money back by warring with France.(John also sent the Austrians letters and money to get them to keep Richard.)

Attached: the lion heart.jpg (589x877, 110K)

Except the author of that citation is really fucking biased ‘Beaufort’ is French apparently, there’s also apparently continuity between the king of the (western) franks in 1066 and De Gaulle’s France

>Richard the French shagger going to war with the king of France
No

>Beaufort is French

No? You don't say?

So Iven is also French

Lmao at bongs getting so worked up about French-speaking kings. I'm speaking English and i watch anglo media, but I'm not English. Do bongs hate the French this much?

Yep, he didnt even put down the toilet seat.

Did they have toilet seats back then? I thought they squatted over a pit

He was called lackland because he didn't have any land as a child compared to his brothers.

Turns out Monty Python isn't an accurate representation of the middle ages.

Didn't Edward II get stabbed up the bum by a dude hiding in the toilet pit?

No. He was allegedly assassinated by having a hot poker shoved into his anus while imprisoned at Berkeley castle.

In truth he died of malnutrition/starvation

Yes, more than likely, which is why I put allegedly.

Why was he imprisoned?

I don't hate the French. I respect them for their historical greatness and cultural ties to england

Not tyrannical, just retarded. Tried to rape his mother, cried randomly during meetings with advisors, pulled out his penis is a blacksmith shop and had the blacksmith measure it because he wanted to use his penis as a reference for how big the handle was going to be of a sword he was commissioning.

>tried to rape his mothe
What the...

>Tried to rape his mother

Something he had in common with Kaiser Wilhelm
But at least John didn't start a world war

giamatti must have been so bored with that shitty script; he just chewed up all the scenery

>You mean Jehan "Sans-Terre" de Plantagenet, right?

plantagenet wasn't used to refer to anyone but geoffrey of anjou until the 17th century

it works for the character