What was the most brutal war in history

My vote goes for the Iran-Iraq war

>PRINT
CITE
The protracted war between these neighboring Middle Eastern countries resulted in at least half a million casualties and several billion dollars’ worth of damages, but no real gains by other side. Started by Iraq dictator Saddam Hussein in September 1980, the war was marked by indiscriminate ballistic-missile attacks, extensive use of chemical weapons and attacks on third-country oil tankers in the Persian Gulf. Although Iraq was forced on the strategic defensive, Iran was unable to reconstitute effective armored formations for its air force and could not penetrate Iraq’s borders deeply enough to achieve decisive results. The end came in July 1988 with the acceptance UN Resolution 598.

Attached: pix2_102214.jpg (768x528, 162K)

Other urls found in this thread:

articles.latimes.com/1990-08-14/news/wr-831_1_saddam-hussein
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwedentrunk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenary_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Sasanian_War_of_602–628
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In terms of the percentage of the overal population killed by the war, the Thirty Years War (1618-1648), which killed up to an estimated one third of the entire German population.

Either thirty years war or the world wars
Nothing comes close to the pure human suffering that those wars created

''Come and See'' for the thirty years wars would be the stuff nightmares are made of.

Thirty years war or ww1

This. Fucking swedes, man, they make chinese look like actual human beings

Quick rundown? I am completely ignorant of the Thirty Years' War. What did the Swedes do?

articles.latimes.com/1990-08-14/news/wr-831_1_saddam-hussein

>He then took us on a tour of dozens of thick electrical cables his troops had lain through the marshy battlefield, a spaghetti network that snaked in and out of the patchwork of lagoons. He showed us the mammoth electric generators that fed the exposed power lines from positions just behind the Iraqi front lines. And, when the Iranian Revolutionary Guards made their regular evening advance, the officer and his men demonstrated the macabre genius of their invention.

>Iraqi gun batteries fired just enough artillery to force the Revolutionary Guards from their marsh boats, and, when hundreds of them had been forced to continue their advance through the lagoons on foot, the men manning the Iraqi generators flipped a few switches and sent thousands of volts of electricity surging through the marshland. Within seconds, hundreds of Iranians were electrocuted.

Didn't Taiping rebellion kill more people than WW1?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War
The Paraguayan War,[A] also known as the War of the Triple Alliance[B] and the Great War[4][C] in Paraguay, was a South American war fought from 1864 to 1870 between Paraguay and the Triple Alliance of Argentina, the Empire of Brazil, and Uruguay. With an estimated 400,000 deaths, the war was the deadliest and bloodiest in Latin America's history.[7] It particularly devastated Paraguay, which suffered catastrophic losses in population, almost 70% of its adult male population died, according to some counts, and was forced to cede territory to Argentina and Brazil. According to some estimates, Paraguay's pre-war population of 525,000 was reduced to 221,000, of which only 28,000 were men.[8]

Deadliest =/= most brutal necessarily

the second Sino-Japanese war

>Japs kill the men and rape then kill the women they come across during a campaign
>Chinese are massively corrupt, and its economy is based entirely on printing money to postpone utter collapse
>Chinese soldiers, often going without pay or food often behave just like the Japs
>brutal press ganging
>virtually no medical aid
>famines
>chemical weapons
the list goes on

Attached: 791fc6f83f00d58cccdf2045906ee406--funeral-teh.jpg (500x370, 20K)

Cut Chiang some slack. I know he waws a corrupt sack of shit, but what was he supposed to do with a shambles like the RoC?

I never blamed Chiang for anything senpai, he did what he could in the utterly corrupt infrastructure of Nationalist China.

>>Chinese soldiers, often going without pay
Best part was the First American volunteer group that fought in the Chinese front would get paid $500 for gunning down a Japanese plane

Skull pyramids made by Timur troops

Attached: The Apotheosis of War by Vasily Vereshchagin.jpg (800x525, 135K)

Stuffed prisoners full with dirty water and feces till they drowned

I'm sorry, they didn't drown. Instead their stomachs increased in size with all the gasses formed.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwedentrunk

Many of the soldiers were mercenaries without proper supply lines, and without supervision they just plundered farms and towns, raped/tortured/killed the inhabitants, and caused chaos everywhere.

While I do not think there is a single "most brutal war", I do believe that the eastern front of World War 2 was the closest thing you will ever find to a hell on earth in human history.

Cannibalism, millions dying of starvation, uncompromising winters, senseless human wave attacks and everything either freezing or getting stuck in the mud.

WWI for sure user.

Some of the conflicts surrounding WWII and torture camps get up there in brutality though.

I don't know if it'd be considered much part of the "war" but unit 731 is definitely some of the most brutal human treatment in history by a pretty significant margin.

'The Bloodlands' is a great book detailing the mass starvation and other crimes during WWII in that area.

Clarification:
>That area
Meaning Europe between Russia and Central Germany that you described. Not far east where unit 731 was.

The Jewish revolt against the Romans was pretty apocalyptic for the timeframe. Estimates of 1+ million people dying, most of which were non-combatants. I'm not sure what percentage of the world population that was for the time, but a million people is still a lot.

>revolt
*Revolts
It came to the point that the Romans had to ship in settlers from other places in the Empire because Judea and the Levant were so utterly devastated. There's a reason the Romans really fucked their shit up afterwards

Attached: Mere coincidence.jpg (434x1043, 185K)

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwedentrunk
we must destroy the Eternal Swede

WW1. The fighting alone was absolutely absurd and horrifying.
Oh you survived 4 years on the front and watch countless men die and blow to pieces? Here is some Spanish flu to kill 5% of the worlds population just to top it off.

Yeah trench warfare was fucking brutal.

Soldiers would watch others decompose and be eaten by rats while being bombed constantly for months, Trench foot, Mustard Gas. Still think some of the areas during WWII had comparable if not worse mass human suffering, and that was of noncombatants.

Yea, Eastern Front WW2 was pretty horrific, it is really hard to compare.
I personally give WW1 the edge though because it was the first global industrial scale warfare fought in human history.

Noncombatants probably had it way worse in WW2 I can totally agree with that.
Starvation is probably one of the most painful ways to die Id imagine.

There is nothing about the western front that did not occur with greater loss of life and misery on the eastern front. In addition it was far from home, way harsher climate, the rate of rotation much more infrequent and the supply lines a lot less reliable.

Yeah, the OP question is hard to answer due to lack of metric. Mentally I think it was probably more brutal to be a combatant in WWI than to starve to death which is saying a lot.

I dunno user are you saying the Western front was harder? I think they were both comparable for some, but the greater number of people affected by the brutality of WWII combat and totalitarian regimes was definitely along the Eastern front.

no i meant the eastern front of ww2 imposed harsher conditions on those who had to endure it

Oh yeah we're in agreement then.

well fuck you anyway

Fuck you too user, fuck you too.

Liberian Civil War

Attached: 1990013CJ.jpg (2560x1695, 375K)

Was there revolutionary new chemical warfare or relatively new advancements in machine gun and artillery warfare?
WW1 was brand new, it opened a new era of wartime suffering, the shock of facing something that you have never been trained for is much higher then you seem to give credit to.

Again, I'm not saying Western Front WW1 shits on EF WW2 but it is a slight advantage IMO

Definitely underrated as far as wars in recent history go.

Attached: Wackyshenanigans.png (1126x599, 31K)

Don't know much about it.. any good resources you can point me in the direction of?

It can't have been that bad if you got to see painted titties occasionally.

Why would this matter?

Do you think you can prepare yourself for sitting in a hole in the ground for weeks in the freezing cold, surrounded by your dead friends and contemplating eating them as your bodyfat slowly burns away due to malnutrition?

After all that, did they really have to tack on "Pillaging".
Top kek

It's a tough decision but WWI at it's worst looks like an actual hellscape.

Attached: flanders-passchendaele-xlarge.jpg (1280x800, 108K)

The unknown is always more horrifying then something you have seen before.
There is terror to seeing all your buddies being annihilated by something you dont understand.

I'm on team EF WW2 but WW1 is a close second by an extremely small margin.

Every weapon is only unknown for the very first time you face it. And every soldier has to go through that rite of passage once, wether it's on the eastern front of WW2 or Western front of WW1.

Every soldier has to face the unknown, wether the weapon is new or old.

Also ties in nicely with the Roman need for a state sponsored religion to control wayward populations, and prevent them from waging war. Very interesting, thank you.

Not only that but Trajan conquered Mesopotamia but because there was so much ravage in the eastern provinces he changed his goal posts to strengthen the eastern provinces and give back Mesopotamia to the Parthians.
Can you image a Roman Mesopotamia?

>Jews ruined literally everything even 2000 years ago
DO IT AGAIN, UNCLE ADOLF

fuck you i'm jewish

Attached: Yotsuba gun.jpg (800x937, 196K)

[used was banned for this post]

We're still here. Stronger than ever.

>senseless human wave attacks

that's just a meme

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenary_War

This entire war was pretty bad.
It wasn't so much that the death toll was obscenely high compared to other ancient conflicts, but the general conduct and behavior of the leadership was pretty nasty and sadistic.
It started off relatively civil and typical as far as wars go, but when Hamilcar (Hannibal's father) started convincing the enemy mercs to flock over to his banner bloodlessly, the rebel leadership started worrying that their entire army would eventually defect to Hamilcar so they solved this problem by torturing and executing all of their Carthaginian prisoners.
They did this to end any possibility of a peaceful resolution to the war, and that's exactly what they got.
Carthage, in kind, responded by executing any and all prisoners that came their way. The war ended with pretty much the complete extermination/mass execution and torture of all the rebel mercs who didn't join Hamilcar before that initial atrocity that set things off.

>thirty years war

For civilians only
For troops it was your average war

That's crazy af dude. We used to bitch about ROE, and not being able to light up bad guys when they were hiding in plain sight. The same sentiment still exists in the private security industy, but it manifests through extremely aggressive, and predatory business practices, which I suppose is an improvement lol.
The ancient world used to be a brutal fucking place. Hopefully the reset button doesn't get hit anytime soon.

Where'd they get the electricity from?

Why wouldn't it just short to ground?

The only way I can think of it working is if you have positive on one side of the swamp and negative on the other.

Why did I get chills for a few seconds upon seeing that?

Attached: Kenny realizes.png (561x726, 681K)

No it's not. In the beginning of the war, before the Soviets had built up their infrastructure, they relied extensively on human wave attacks.

The deluge. Basically genocided the poles. I am sad they didnt finish the job

They had those, the jews wanted nothing to do with any of them, even or especially christianity.

citation required

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Sasanian_War_of_602–628
This war seems pretty bad but are there any estimates for just brutal it actually was?

Attached: 1920px-Cherub_plaque_Louvre_MRR245[1].jpg (1920x964, 430K)

>Iran-Iraq war
Do you not know of the immense death and destruction that WWII created?

most brutal doesn't necessarily mean most costly in lives

The book
>Hitler's Soldiers: The German Army in the Third Reich

Reading it now

Jews were never a problem outside of their ability to propagandize and incite a population to uprising.
They were always a minority population, and they were mostly wiped out, at least all the strong ones.
romans had to worry about hundreds of thousands of levantines and egyptians and shit.

In terms of scales yeah iran iraq war was worst

>Betray the generous Peace Agreement you already reached with Carthage
>Attack the nation of the man who lead you in Sicily for years
>The man is still willing to negotiate an agreement, torture and kill all Carthaginian prisioners to prevent any possibility of talks
>Do all this even though you know how good of a strategist/tactician he is
>Literal Talk Shit, Get Hit
Based Chadmilcar did nothing wrong.

>The ancient world used to be a brutal fucking place. Hopefully the reset button doesn't get hit anytime soon.

That's the thing though.
The ancient world was a lot more brutal, relative to the rest of history put together, but the Mercenary War was considered exceptionally brutal even by its contemporaries. When you compare that war to other ancient wars, it's hard not to see why it would be considered as such.
Consider that you had bigger and more famous conflicts of the ancient era, like Alexander's invasion of Persia or the forthcoming 2nd Punic War. These were massive wars and it's safe to assume that there was, in an objective sense, more bloodshed and violence to go around.
More people fought and died in those wars compared to the Mercenary War, but even those wars were conducted with all the usual ROE and you had genuine moments of class and civility sprinkled around every now and then. For example, Alexander treated Darius' relatives very well and Scipio was pretty merciful and generous with his Carthaginian foes. There was also that one little anecdote where Scipio was presented with an Iberian sex slave but he instead returned her to her tribe and that tribe pledged their allegiance to him in return for his gentlemanly conduct.

I guess my point is; the ancient era had it's faults but they're still populated by human beings at the end of the day. Humans can show moments of generosity and mercy even in times of war.
The Mercenary War was just one of those rare instances where there was absolutely no humanity.

The war on the ground was pretty awful, but the war in the air was pretty bad ass. Essentially Iranian F-14s raping anything the Iraqi's could throw at them, except the MiG-25 who tended to fly too high and fast, but it was always on recon anyway so not exactly a threat, just annoying.

One F-14 reported destroying 3 MiG-23s with a single AIM-54 missile as they were flying so close.

There really aren't enough TYW movies. The only ones I know are "The Last Valley" and "Alatriste" which isn't really even TYW (eighty years war instead) but is a similair pike and shot period.

Attached: e9682-iran_f14_aim54.jpg (640x362, 100K)

my cousin served in this war was an Iranian POW. The years in the war camp he was tortured like hell and the Iranians tortured any Iraqi POW that didn't support the Iraqi opposition groups like SCIRI or Dawa party.

Also they launched huge human wave attacks consisting of children and teenage boys attacking with knives and basic weapons, basically the Iraqis were forced to machinegun hordes of advancing Iranian children if they wanted to survive. It would have been a horrible position to be in, many ended up with PTSD.

The Iranians saw it as a holy war to capture karbala, Khomeini refused to accept any peace until the US intervened at the very end.

Don't forget
>destroy an entire dam causing a flood that kills tens of millions of your own citizens just to slow the japanese advance
>doesn't even slow the japanese advance

Do Chinese even have souls? How can they just so heartlessly kill their own people like that?

i should clarify my cousin was Iraqi who fought for the Iraqi side, he was a POW of the Iranians, he was not an Iranian.

>Things are less special when they are common
Didn't you take Economics 101?

This is why we have to do everything we can to make sure China does not rise to become the world's sole superpower when the US inevitably collapses from internal strife.

Nah I wouldn't mind. Chinese are soulless only to themselves, they are not an expansionist people, they have no desire to intervene in every corner of the world and fuck things up like the U.S. does.

I'd take Chinese globalism over (((American))) zionist globalism any day of the week.

My plan is to start intermixing to prepare my family for it, even chinese are worth more in the eyes of other chinese than dirty bar-bar foreigners.

>they are not an expansionist people

>doesn't know about all of the real estate in the US bought by chinese people
>doesn't know about african colonialism
>doesn't know about latin american colonialism
>doesn't know about Tibet, Vietnam, etc.
>doesn't know about tensions with India

When the US collapses (and it will within our lifetimes), expect more naked and traditional imperialism/expansionism.

Hi /pol/

still no where near as bad as what the US has done.

>buying up real estate in the US

sold to them by greedy americans that can't believe to see a fat checque. Americans are gonna get everything they deserve for the way they badly fucked the world over.

I dunno what's funnier, the idea that the US will collapse soon or the idea that the PRC can meaningfully project power overseas.

And they had state sponsored religions to ensure their loyalty, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here?

>Americans are gonna get everything they deserve for the way they badly fucked the world over.
The world won't do anything to america when it has a nuclear stockpile. Even if the US splits up, DC will still have its nukes.
Keep fantasizing about your make-believe genocide, you dumb third-worlder. It won't happen and it never will.

The world doesn't need to do anything, Americans will turn their own country into a shithole by their own greed.

>gonna get everything they deserve
From who?
Who is going to deliver the blow to america?
Americans? Or retarded foreigners like you?

Are you so pathetic that the only thing you can realistically hope for in your sick little fantasy is for Americans to hurt themselves?
This is typical internet tough guy talk from a smelly and unwashed third worlders who hates america. You are so lacking in conviction and bravery in your beliefs that you have to wish for americans to hurt themselves instead of your taking it upon yourself to do it.
Please go ahead and try something here. I dare you. Show some bravery for once in your life.

It's headed the way of Brazil in that it will be a highly polarized and violent country to live in. But the riches and power it can project will still be the same.

I don't need to wish for shit. You're already hurting yourselves by your own retardation. 10,000 gun deaths every year, and you refuse to spend a cent to help your own people in healthcare while giving billions every year to israel, a country which has socialised healthcare.

Your country is in shambles and will get even worse because of retards like yourself. Your country has no conviction or bravery, you have no values or ideals, you just believe in sending people to die in wars for Israel, whether in Iraq and elsewhere, losing billions in the process and sacrificing your own men in the march for zionism. Oh America really is great!

>i hate america
>i hope america collapses
>but I can't do anything about it so I'm just going to wish for it and claim a victory i didn't earn

Cowardly behavior from a third-worlder.
This is why the world doesn't care when america bombs third world nations. You are exactly the reason why developed nations are repulsed by your people and wish you dead. Even Europe will throw out the third worlders occupying their countries.
You have no convictions or values. That is why you are on this board with your 'tough guy' posturing instead of actually killing americans.

>tough guy persona

Look who's fucking talking you amerimutt. You're country is a shithole and you feel good about it, that says a lot about the kind of insect your people are. China owns your country and all you can say against that is boast about how you send your people to die for israel's sake.

What pathetic. You're actually proud to be slaves for the jews.

The US is far from in shambles.
The Economy is doing great.
Yes there's a lot crime. You'll find that wherever you find poverty.

>The Economy is doing great.
I am going to enjoy seeing so many brainlets burn again.

I hate America and Americans user, but not from a position of being a 'jelous third worlder'
My nation is more developed according to the u.n., has a higher percentage of white people, has literally never lost a war yet doesn't act like the world's police, has a longer life expectancy and quality of life, so this dislike does not come from jelousy
This hatred instead comes from the constant shitposting of mutts both on this imageboard and in real life, larping on achievements that they personally had nothing to do with and claiming to be the greatest nation in the world whilst being shit in literally every metric imaginable.

Are you trying to suggest it isn't?
You're not doing a good job.

>boast about how you send your people to die for israel's sake.
When have I ever boasted about that, you dumb shitskin?
I have no love for the neocons or zionists, but I'm glad that america is wrecking your countries. If you represent what the average third worlder is like, then I have zero sympathy for you subhumans. You wish nothing but misery on us so I will return the favor. The difference being that you don't have the means nor the guts to actually harm americans so we don't have to worry about people like you. Cowardice is in your genes.
I don't care for America's future. I've accepted that the country will split up because the political system has failed us.
For all of your talk about how america's doom, you fail to realize that splitting up the country will actually do us wonders. It will finally allow the different races and states the right of self-determination and the right to form their own ethnic communities.
Can't say the same for your stupid ass. Enjoy being bombed and invaded time and time again while being powerless to stop it. Hope you enjoy Chinese or Russian dick.

>You'll find that wherever you find poverty.
Then how come Poland has almost no crime? It's much poorer than the USA.

>hating america because of memes and shitposting
I think you're incredibly pathetic.

I hate a lot of european countries, but not because of shitposting and 56% memes. I hate them because they are ok with their citizens being murdered in broad daylight by middle-easterners and then oppressing their own citizens for speaking up against it.
I also hate them for their hypocrisy. They accuse america of being degeneracy capital of the world, and yet it's european countries that gave birth to cultural marxism, adopted atheism, and legalized gay marriage before americans did.
You clearly have a superiority complex over americans and this is fueling your hatred and ridicule of us. I get that. This is why I think America should go back to the same attitude that Teddy Roosevelt held. We need to take a harsh stance against europeans and make it clear that they are not welcome in the western hemisphere. Your people (I'm assuming you're european) cannot be trusted because of that superiority complex.

Poland has a very high HDI index. It is not considered poor.