Normies and history

What's the funniest/worst examples of normie historical ignorance you've encountered? Here's mine from today.

>be me
>talking to some normies
>a girl is trying to explain her ideas about justice and moral relativity or something
>"Yeah, it's like when Constantine ordered the crusades, they wanted to genocide all of the Muslims, that was their goal."
>Ask what the heck she's talking about
>Another girl says "You know, it's like in the 20's and 30's, when they were burning all those witches."
>First girl says "You know that the reason for the witch burnings was that everyone was basically on drugs and hallucinating all the time."
>"But yeah, basically, nobody thinks that what Hitler did was good, and the crusades were like world war two. The crusaders wanted to wipe out an entire race of people."
>Guy says "Actually, the reason for the crusades was that the Catholic Church wanted to get rid of all the extra people running around in Europe."

Attached: 1rmxth7g.wizardchan.1384080402001.png (576x507, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.nytimes.com/2004/04/24/books/when-timbuktu-was-the-paris-of-islamic-intellectuals-in-africa.html?referer=https://www.google.com/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_philosophy
ancientpages.com/2014/06/12/ancient-manuscripts-mythical-city-timbuktu/amp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not as hardcore but basically right now I'm studying in England and so far this is the worst shit I've ever heard:
>I've never heard of the Battle of Verdun before, only know about the Somme.
>Did France do anything during WW1 anyway?

Attached: 1504529382342.jpg (1000x1000, 221K)

The guy at the end was surface level correct tho. The Pope was trying to unite western Catholics under a common cause and stop the constant state of feuding at the time, the hope was that the nobility would stop murdering each other and one anothers peasants and calm down a bit.

A better question is why didn't you correct them OP?

>Did the French do anything during WW1 anyway?
>I mean, did they? (Besides dying)

Last night when my grandparents were explaining the plot of the imitation game and thought it was a documentary. They didn't understand any of the logic behind anything but they kept pointing out all the drama plots in the film as if the film was an actual real video of events.

>A better question is why didn't you correct them OP?
Because it's very easy to come off as an Autismo Maximus.

Attached: DpQ9YJl[1].png (700x700, 21K)

I was talking with this cute red head and she was spouting the typical liberal "Muh poor native" shit and I devils advocated her and brought up the fact the Iroquois genocides dozens of tribes and were eventually stopped by the French. Then she started talking about the slave trade and I brought up the fact it was African kingdoms who sold Europeans their slaves and taught her about the kingdoms of Benin and Ife. Not only did she come around but I could tell she was swooning too. You just gotta do it subtly and intelligently dude. Have class.

>I'm sorry guys but as I friend I need to tell you that you're all wrong and should at least read Wikipedia before talking about these things so openly because right now you're only flaunting your lack of knowledge. If you want I can explain things better or recommend some good books to read.

Its like knowing a friend smells like shit or has bad breath and never telling them because you don't want to hurt their feelings. You're only hurting them long term. Tell them they need to use deodorant and brush their teeth.

I asked a kid when was the war of 1812. Couldn’t give me an answer.

>'Teaching' people through literal whataboutisms
Fair enough, i suppose.

Right. Instead of whataboutism, I say that I'm not ashamed my ancestors were smarter, stronger, and braver than the people they conquered.

>I have no person accomplishments to be proud of so I larp as 'muh ancestors' to feel like a big boi
What a faggot.

Not funny, just dumb.
>gen ed anthropology class
>Professor "why do you think 30% of women were working in the 60s?"
>Girl behind me "because the great depression."
>"...Wut?"
>"It was the great depression and jobs needed to go to the men."
>"No, you're thinking of the 1930s and 20s."
>"no, 'cause that was world war ii."
He doesn't call on her anymore.

>were smarter, stronger, and braver than the people they conquered.
Citation needed? They were certainly more technologically advanced ...

>"White people need to save these poor, innocent creatures!"
Good ol' indigenismo

They probably don't know there were more French than Brits at the Somme

Kek. Here's another attempt at shaming tactics. If they can't make you feel shame that your ancestors were successful, they baselessly imply that your pride in their accomplishments means you have none of your own.

They crossed oceans in little wooden boats so that they could pick fights with savages who outnumbered them a hundred to one. And they won. Then they did they did it again, and again.

Attached: 1280px-Iroq2.jpg (1280x769, 339K)

FUCKING THIS

anglo propoganda is too widespread

>They crossed oceans in little wooden boats so that they could pick fights with savages who outnumbered them a hundred to one.
>They were more technologically advanced
Ok...?

>And they won. Then they did they did it again, and again.
>What is small pox?

This is pretty cringe, mate.

>pls be ashamed

>muh master race
learn about civilizations outside of eurasia and then come back.
>inb4 "lol ur mixed, shut up"
Race is a stupid meme, we're all homo sapiens, but we are all unique. Just because the mainstream normies try to wedge race into shit, doesn't mean you should.

Same thing happens here in Australia where we’re taught that only Aussies and Kiwis fought at Gallipoli, and not plenty of British and French too.

>What's the funniest/worst examples of normie historical ignorance you've encountered?

>Be on Veeky Forums.
>Hurr fucking durr the holocaust happened.

It's cringe because of your pleb tier understanding of history.

>History class in 10th grade
>Girl: "I thought Hitler was executed!"

Attached: 1424092151894s.jpg (249x249, 7K)

There is evidence of the Salem people having a rye contamination that causes hallucinations

A convenient explanation, if you ignore the witch executions going on in Europe around the same time.

Hitler was killed the same way a lot of higher up Nazis were, by a nazi.

Why are they mutually exclusive?

kek

That's literally coming off as Autismo Maximus though. Your analogy also sucks because telling a friend their shit smells at least assumes you're not insane and your other friends also smell it. In this situation it's more like your friends are all sporting the latest body spray and they're all using bro science to explain why its better than the last meme brand, and suddenly you come in saying they're all posers and should come to you for spray advice.

Saying that the New England colonists were hallucinating from bad rye is one thing. Casually suggesting that that's the reason for the witch trials is big leap.

>German is a Latin language like French and Italian.
>Europe would be a better place if Christianity never existed

>>based spic

Attached: image.jpg (720x707, 84K)

>the egyptians were building the pyramids when in rome where building the colosseum

t were

I blame American media
Like that BF1 game recently
The entire solo campaign was revolving around Brits (5 out of 6 playable characters were British Empire, and there were no German, French or Russian characters)
Hell, France and Russia weren't even playable in the multi until some shitty DLC...

Attached: grayons.jpg (720x736, 32K)

>be me
>watch Black Hawk Down
>love it
>become intensely interested in studying Operation Restore Hope
>read a half-dozen books about the UN Intervention in the Somali Civil War (Night Mission To Mogadishu, Black Hawk Down, and In The Company of Heroes among others)
>talk to other people about Black Hawk Down
>typical neocon "hurr durr if we had just sent in the AC-130s, everything would've been fine/Clinton was a coward/Somalis hate us because they're just dumb niggers" faggotry, completely ignoring the complex series of events that led to the tragedy

Literally the only person I've met who wasn't completely talking out of their ass on this subject was a Marine who was one of the commanders of the Embassy Guard in Mogadishu when the war broke out.

Attached: Task Force Ranger.png (922x733, 1.33M)

>Africa is a country
>All the borders you see on a map of Africa are actually different states

>Race is a stupid meme
>says the beaner
like pottery

>civilizations
>outside of Eurasia
Ahhhh yes, the famous political philosophers of the Mayans, the glorious symphonies and compositions of the Indo-Chinese, the lovely and awe inspiring marble busts of ancient Aboriginal warriors, don't even get me started on the famous inventors of Africa.

>Hurr ducking durr the holocaust didn't happen

who cares? history isn't a dick measuring contest. if you think it is your using history for your own politics and have no interest in understanding the past. fuck off this board

mobile.nytimes.com/2004/04/24/books/when-timbuktu-was-the-paris-of-islamic-intellectuals-in-africa.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

> Africa has no history

Attached: download (27).jpg (284x177, 17K)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_philosophy

Attached: download (6).jpg (281x180, 9K)

>you have to appreciate history in my specific way
no
History speaks, and it is my story and not yours.
here's the funny thing.
Paris wasn't a particularly impressive city, really a dime a dozen once upon a time, yet you won't find another Timbuktu in Africa for 500 miles.
>Islamic intellectuals
Timbuk was shit and you know it.
>African philosophy is not a formal philosophical tradition but rather one derived from the subjective experience of Africans at large
so basically backwater ideas of people who think gold comes from inside the heads of bald people?

>Mali
you do know the Malian Empire arose long long after Europeans, Asians, even Arabs had developed their own empires, multiple empires and civilizations, right?
Mali is an example of African failure, not of success.

How was it shit the Europeans litteraly thought it was made of gold

>fantasy represents reality
this is how people need to justify African """""achievement"'""""

How was Mali a failure?
>Built over 400 cities
>established a global islamic center of learning had Muslims as far Persia traveling there

The city was legendary

History isn't your story what have contributed Exactly?

Timbuktu had thousands of manuscripts staffed thousands of scholars was extremely wealthy through trade

If you didn't politely correct them you have nothing to complain about.

>They were more technologically advanced
>this is not the same as being smarter hmmmk?

I mean he's a cringy faggot but so are you.

Existing isn't a contrabution niether is talking shit on a board

Wouldn't her ignorance be all the more reason to talk to her more, or address where she was wrong?

>Razors Edge

Why do military folks come up with these cringe names?

>Me think only me matter
>grug true history hero

Attached: 1518116446114.png (502x446, 80K)

>History speaks, and it is my story and not yours.
lmaoing @ your life

>What a fag right

Attached: download (28).jpg (225x225, 9K)

So because Europeans thought the city was made of gold it's the Africans fault?

Building a legendary mythical city
> LOL Why are niggers so dumb

Attached: 32 (1).jpg (600x477, 41K)

Fuck off back to your mudhut, learn to greentext before posting.

ancientpages.com/2014/06/12/ancient-manuscripts-mythical-city-timbuktu/amp/

The Butthurt

Attached: fcb27bd7bd9b341ed4ac4642205f8dad3724ad4af8eb661b534ebaed1c7dd736.jpg (494x358, 35K)

Don't write like retards and you won't be called retards.

Attached: not (you).png (766x537, 110K)

>>>/9gag/

Normies like the rye hallucinogen because it explains how a bunch of normies would commit a bunch of atrocious murders. It also is a fun History Channel tier explanation that reduces Salem to a "dude weed lmao" level. I'm not well versed in the history of witch trials, but it seems like Salem had a high density of witches and witch burnings in a short period of time, so the poisoned rye theory could fit.

Er, no? What is context, what is having the help of other civs advancements (e.g. chinese guns)?

>he's a cringy faggot but so are you.
So sad that you have to project your own idiocy...

top kek

Attached: 1520237389493.gif (325x244, 1.83M)

If an entire continent of people can't do what another continent can do then that still means they were not as smart as their old-world counterparts.
If the Polynesians could sail all the way to America years before the Europeans arrived, why couldn't the Americans sail all the way to Asia?

Also

>>>/reddit/

>woman
>history
There is your problem

But BF1 is made by a Swedish Developer user

One was Italian, two Americans, and one was Australian. Two were British but one of those was fucking Lawrence of Arabia. You're right though that the other nations are underrepresented.
It's more of a multiplayer game anyway.

>Counting Europe, Asia and North Africa as one continent

>If the Polynesians could sail all the way to America years before the Europeans arrived, why couldn't the Americans sail all the way to Asia?
They had no need to (so they didn't develop advanced 'ships')? Seriously, just like, pick a book, man.

Also:

The British had shitons of Indians and africans hell the Indians made up the largest volunteer enlistment

Did anyone in WW1 do anything besides dying?

>Hitler was a victim of the Nazis
>He was shot with the luger of a high ranking Nazi official

Talking about the evils of Islam and why it shouldn't be allowed to foster within our western society (I know I'm a edgy cringe lord) some guy "But what about the crusades" "yea user, the Spanish inquisition was also really evil" I tried to explain how the crusades were reactionary to the Umayyad expansion and the inquisition was bad but comparatively didn't kill a ridiculous amount of people. Kinda got awkward, they didn't want to engage. I just came off as a racist sexist wh*te male

Attached: 1496599912408.jpg (700x773, 44K)

>the crusades were reactionary to the Umayyad expansion
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Attached: TimeToSaveGhristianity.png (500x439, 49K)

>american """""education"""""""""

plz help me learn

Attached: 1496593310840.png (741x609, 27K)

Start with Runciman's 'meme' books.

You do realize that's a troll account

Eurasia is about the same size as all of America, and according to North-European cartography America is 4 whole continents.

>They had no need to
>the Incas pretty much were dependent on maritime trade
>so were the Mayans
>lol but dey just didn't need to

Also, fuck off back to where you came from.

Attached: hitlerbook.jpg (801x928, 125K)

See
It was made by DICE in Sweden. Though I suppose EA is American...
And there was far more representation in the campaign. You even get to be an Arab qt steathily killing Turkroaches in one of the Middle East missions.

didn't ask for this feel desu

Attached: 11325101_1425837747746528_1595696901_n.jpg (480x480, 74K)

>Eurasia is about the same size as all of America, and according to North-European cartography America is 4 whole continents.
Cultural exchange is important too. The ease of communication between societies is important too. The age at which societies started being sedentary after immigrating is important too. The avaibility of valleys/rivers/easily domesticated (and nutritious) crops is important too. The weather and position of landmass is important too. Etc.

>Short sea shipping requirements are comparable to real seafaring requirements.
You are an utter moron, lad.
History, needs a lot of context to be understood; that is why i invited you to an easier place for 'debate', my dear brainlet friend:
>Calls me redditor
>Gets upset when i call him /pol/tard back
Cry me a river, kid.

I had some girl in my class think the world was created 2009 years ago (in 2009 obviously).

The extra funny thing about this was that she wasn't a Christian. In fact, this took place in Israel, and she was such a nutjob that she thought people went to hell for drawing a cross. When people tried to explain to her that 2009 was the christian year she didn't believe us.

>Guy says "Actually, the reason for the crusades was that the Catholic Church wanted to get rid of all the extra people running around in Europe."

He is partly right.

Worst one I ever had was some bitch who didn't know what the Soviet Union was

>Physics 101 class
>TA refers to Greek letters as "Roman letters"

they were, pyramid construction didn't stop until long after the Colosseum was built

>I was talking with this cute red head and she was spouting the typical liberal "Muh poor native" shit and I devils advocated her and brought up the fact the Iroquois genocides dozens of tribes and were eventually stopped by the French. Then she started talking about the slave trade and I brought up the fact it was African kingdoms who sold Europeans their slaves and taught her about the kingdoms of Benin and Ife. Not only did she come around but I could tell she was swooning too. You just gotta do it subtly and intelligently dude. Have class.
mu vagina when

Attached: The Driest Place on Earth.jpg (640x480, 62K)

the thing about the crusades is that while they were initially called in reaction to the Byzantines losing ground in Anatloia at an alarming rate, the crusaders didn't actually do anything to help that and instead attacked territory that had been muslim for hundreds of years

People's not Knowing the years of start/end of WW2

>I didn't know he was sick