Civil War history buff here. The Confederates in the Civil War are often referred to as "the rebels," but in truth...

Civil War history buff here. The Confederates in the Civil War are often referred to as "the rebels," but in truth, they weren't rebelling against anything. They were just fighting for their Constitutional rights, which had existed for generations up till that point. It was Lincoln, not the Confederacy, who destroyed the Union as it had been. Lincoln's "new birth of freedom" was really a second American revolution.

Attached: Civil War.jpg (633x284, 121K)

The right to have slaves?

Yes. It was universally recognized as a Constitutional right at the time. The only person to argue otherwise was Lysander Spooner, a Massachusetts abolitionist and early libertarian.

>waaaaaaaa why did the federal government have to take away the state government's rights to oppress its own people!
libertarians are truly the cucks of political ideology

Please show me where in the constitution you have the right to fire on federal lands.

They seceded before Lincoln even took office.

Certainly in retrospect they shouldn't have fired at Sumter, but pick up a fucking map. Sumter guards the mouth of Charleston Harbor. You can't say with a straight face that refusing to give up that fort wasn't a provocation, even if the Union was in the right insofar as it was their land.

I'm glad we live in the timeline where the Union won

I actually don't think OP is wrong. The Southern plantation system with a slave underclass is much closer to the nation the founding fathers envisioned than the industrial north.

That being said, fuck Dixie. They were a bunch of hypocrites who were either poor white trash looking to maintain slavery just so they wouldn't be in the lowest social class or rich plantation owners LARPing as European nobility. I'm glad Sherman burned their farms and houses.

>civil war buff

Attached: bait.png (520x377, 309K)

So now you're moving away from a constitutional argument to a realpolitik one. That didn't take long.

Well, that's the way the Constitution was understood in the 19th century. Get over it.
The Constitution had always been voluntary up until then. Lincoln sent warships into the harbor, which was the first act of aggression. Firing on the fort was an act of self-defense made necessary by the position of the warships.
He had already been elected. He was just waiting for inauguration day.
The Union as it had been didn't win. Lincoln overthrew the existing Union and replaced it with something very different.
Not an argument.

>They were a bunch of hypocrites
How were they hypocrites? They were very open about their pro-slavery ideology, so I don't see any hypocrisy.

>certainly in retrospect they shouldn't have fired on sumter
so you admit the South was in the wrong? after all, your argument was purely constitutionalist, right?

Attached: b-but muh states rights.png (1864x4327, 1.11M)

I absolutely can say that with a straight face you mongoloid.

Yet they continued to fight the war even after slavery as an institution had become unsalvageable, certain states didn't even mention slavery in their declarations, and interference with slavery would have constituted interference with the constitution, which makes every attack on slavery and every mention of it more than what it appears.

A few quotes that have been passed around in the Atlantic and Salon don't prove that men were sending their own sons to die and risking their own lives for wealth.

The only thing Sherman did wrong was not destroying them harder.

Yeah, man Sherman was so epic
How do I use the green text on this website btw?

none of the aristocrat plantation owners you wish to LARP as actually fought, mutt. it was all poor farmers who were dying for wealth aka slavery

>none of the aristocrat plantation owners you wish to LARP as actually fought, mutt
Their sons fought you fucking clown
>oh noez none of le 50 year old men enlisted
Imagine being this brainlet

Right to leave the union

How is it possible that Southern butthurt persists for this long?

Because thats what the north called them and thats who won.

They were rebelling against the north/thread.

What a civil war "history buff" you are