American Civil war general

Just what is it that makes this war so attractive to people?

Attached: confederate-prisoners.jpg (1000x922, 182K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Civil_War_regiments_by_state
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Civil_War_regiments
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/55th_New_York_Volunteer_Infantry
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/39th_New_York_Volunteer_Infantry_Regiment
edition.cnn.com/2018/03/26/politics/us-expel-russian-diplomats/index.html
youtu.be/nAFUKOB1kfA
usa-prophecies.blogspot.com/2011/06/judgment-against-tyre-edom-moab-and.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the shoes

The Cletus of the world love larping as freedom fighters.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Civil_War_regiments_by_state
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Civil_War_regiments
>>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/55th_New_York_Volunteer_Infantry

So many weird and unique regiments in this period Jesus Christ it's like sports teams holy crap.

SHOW YOUR FAVORITE Veeky Forums!

Attached: e7384bce2d38b4ab685a932f0423cb8e.jpg (730x1200, 103K)

because america's history started in 1620 so there's not much else to talk about. Sorry mutt.

>literally copying the french uniform

That's some South America tier behavior

It's almost as if they were founded and led by a Frenchman or something

First modern war
First usage of repeating rifles in combat

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/39th_New_York_Volunteer_Infantry_Regiment

Italians in union service.
There was also a Confederate version but suited red shirts than the usual blue, can't confirm this though.

Attached: cwc.jpg (1533x1155, 319K)

>First modern war
Think that goes to the Crimean war.

Their Confederate counter part.

Attached: 2.jpg (450x697, 64K)

Only enemy that scares Washington to this day.

being really well documented, which makes it easy to get into. also easy to connect to, reading personal dramas of generals or letters of soldiers on the front.
changes in technology such as the ironclad and repeating rifles. ironclads in particular changed naval warfare irrevocably.
it's a civil war, big deal for any nation but moreso if you only ever had one.
slavery was abolished in the US, that's a big deal historically whether you personally feel blacks are human or not.

Unironically.

>it's a civil war

Attached: 1517188157765.jpg (716x461, 57K)

because dixieboos are the new stormwfags of the internet ever since charlotesville happened and will throw a massive hissyfit whenever their kiked-up cuckservative utopia that was "totally not made to replace lower class whites with slaves who could do their work for free" is made fun of

Attached: 1518571135038.png (698x638, 27K)

take it back to /intpol/

Meanie

Attached: Anne Frank x University Greys.jpg (2147x2997, 1.04M)

Its not attractive. We have to remember and visualize what it was like to kill our friends and relatives because of politics. White Christians who spoke the same language and had only minor cultural differences. Triggers my survivors guilt like a motherfucker to even try and comprehend that event, and the real problem is we're heading towards round two.

>Triggers my survivors guilt like a motherfucker

W-What happened?

>the real problem is we're heading towards round two

This is true sadly. How long do you think it will be until America's drowning in a sea of its own blood once again? I give it a year or two, three at the most.

Attached: tragedy battle of the crater.jpg (805x1094, 589K)

Gletus no like yankees taking darkie friends
Gletus miss darkie friends
Gletus smash

Attached: 14633015_1451846988163405_5094292664673778041_n.jpg (960x946, 66K)

Look at the current state of america and I think you will get the picture.
A lot of people like to use the Civil War as ground zero for all of the subsequent developments and trajectories we've adopted. It's not the only major turning point of america, but it's a strong contender for the biggest. Arguably more important than the post WW1 and post WWII eras.

Don't think you fully understood what I wrote, it's more about the war's mass appeal and cultural segnificance.
The American civil war has met a huge interest in The states and europe alike, despite being a civil war.

I can ask a student in Belguim who Robert E.Lee or who Grant was and his awnser will be more satisfactory than if I asked who was the prime minister when the Nazis invaded his country.

Attached: IMG_0009.jpg (1160x1600, 398K)

Apparently, they didn't appreciate the civil war enough.
Europe's hubris was one of the things that lead to the shitshow that was WWI. They thought that WW1 would just be another Franco-Prussian but it was in reality going to be a massive and even more bloody version of the Civil War.

Attached: brianoDriscollDisappointedRWCbid_large.jpg (600x325, 27K)

well documented, complex war with interesting tactics and technology

Attached: American Civil War Photos (49).jpg (413x600, 58K)

Kino bande dessinée tbqh

>It's not the only major turning point of america, but it's a strong contender for the biggest. Arguably more important than the post WW1 and post WWII eras.

It pretty much was the titular conflict of American history, only rivaled by the American Revolution (even then, the Revolution pales in scale to the Civil War). It changed not just what it meant to be an American, but who is an American. Unfortunately, it also damaged the American psyche in a way that's never completely healed.

As much as people (especially Yankees) like to pretend that the legacy of the Civil War has completely played out and that everyone should just "get over it", I honestly don't think it has. Its legacy will only be fully play out when America ultimately self-destructs in a second war that is 100 times more horrific and devastating. It's unavoidable, and no amount of putting up or tearing down statues is going to prevent it (and may in fact, accelerate it). The seeds of our doom were planted at Appomattox.

It has always been our destiny that as a country, we were born from the Civil War, and so shall we die by it.

Attached: bloody angle spotsylvannia courthouse.jpg (1203x828, 195K)

Am a belgian student, can confirm. Our modern history is the most boring thing on earth, apart from the Congo.

>tfw not a merchant or guild tradesman in mediëval flanders
>tfw not a pikeman in the battle of the golden spurs

>Unfortunately, it also damaged the American psyche in a way that's never completely healed.
No, that would be Vietnam.

There's enough romance in the underdog Confederate situation to inspire the dreamy and enough Union victory to satisfy nationalists and certain delusional moralfags.

>Only enemy that scares Washington to this day.

Attached: 200th anniversary.png (1256x1571, 2.25M)

Because its the closest war that comes down to Brains VS Brawn? and not only that but a civil war has automatic appeal just because well its a country fighting against itself.
I know the South made some serious mistakes but they put up a decent fight against a far superior enemy through decent tactics and the fact the states were just strategically incompetent.

Thats why I became interested in it for a while, it was an underdog story, kind of, and yeah it was always going to end the way but it didnt have to last half as long. And if things could have gone a bit differently which could have geuinely happened and that kind of "what if" scenario is a big reason why I think a lot of people invest themselves into history and most of all why they become x-aboos.

>be Andrew Jackson
>march a thousand miles from Tennessee, through the Louisiana swamp, to New Orleans
>put together a ragtag group of 5,000 men, most of them not trained soldiers
>kick the shit out of 15,000 British pussies

B A S E D

Attached: andrew_jackson1.jpg (344x331, 41K)

>How long do you think it will be
It's not going to happen.

>be american
>get shot

S H A R T

Attached: typical american int poster.png (2120x2440, 150K)

IN 1814 WE TOOK A LITTLE TRIP

WITH COLONEL JACKSON DOWN THE MIGHTY MISSISSIP

WE TOOK A LITTLE BACON AND WE TOOK A LITTLE BEANS

AND WE FOUGHT THE BLOODY BRITISH AT THE TOWN OF NEW ORLEANS

WEEEEEEEE

FIRED OUR GUNS AND THE BRITISH KEPT A COMIN

THERE WASN'T NIGH AS MANY AS THERE WAS A WHILE AGO

WE FIRED OUR GUNS AND THEY BEGAN A RUNNIN

DOWN THE MISSISSIPPI TO THE GULF OF MEXICO

WEEEEEELLLL, THEY RAN THROUGH THE BRIARS AND THEY RAN THROUGH THE BRAMBLES

THEY RAN THROUGH THE BUSHES WHERE A RABBIT COULDN'T GO

THEY RAN SO FAST THAT THE HOUNDS COULDN'T CATCH EM

WAY DOWN THE MISSISSIPPI TO THE GULF OF MEXICOOOO

Attached: battle-of-new-orleans-H.jpg (1389x454, 568K)

>well documented
I think that's probably the biggest thing. It might be the most humanized war we typically study in the US, in part because it was so important for us to humanize it. Although most agree that the South deserved to lose, there isn't really a perception that Confederate soldiers and commanders were evil like the Huns or Japs. So both sides are fair game for enthusiastic interest and even admiration. Lots of great characters, too.

Americans are good at documenting in general, from senate hearings to military casualties. Doesn't the library of congress have like over 30 million books?

And we'll defend that shit to the last.
Copied from Futility Closet:

During the burning of Washington in the War of 1812, when a British expeditionary force leveled a cannon at the Patent Office, superintendent William Thornton “put himself before the gun, and in a frenzy of excitement exclaimed: ‘Are you Englishmen or only Goths and Vandals? This is the Patent Office, a depository of the ingenuity of the American nation, in which the whole civilized world is interested. Would you destroy it? If so, fire away, and let the charge pass through my body.'”

“The effect is said to have been magical upon the soldiers, and to have saved the Patent Office from destruction. … When the smoke cleared from the dreadful attack, the Patent Office was the only Government building … left untouched.”

Attached: 2017-04-26-a-moment.jpg (1200x523, 123K)

>U.S. leaders assumed that Canada could be easily overrun. Former President Jefferson optimistically referred to the conquest of Canada as "a matter of marching".[93]

>Britain was heavily engaged in the Napoleonic Wars, most of the British Army was deployed in the Peninsular War (in Portugal and Spain), and the Royal Navy was compelled to blockade most of the coast of Europe.[80] The number of British regular troops present in Canada in July 1812 was officially stated to be 6,034, supported by Canadian militia.[81]

>"a matter of marching"
>"a matter of marching"
>"a matter of marching"
>"a matter of marching"

>the might of the entire combined USA against 6000 British regulars in Canada
>the absolute United STATE of the United States

Attached: 1433851789876.jpg (499x499, 48K)

Does the average american really cares about the civil war?

BRITISH EMPIRE VS UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, ALL TIME RECORD:
(0-1-1)

Attached: images(10).jpg (248x189, 14K)

>oi USA, make your fat arse useful for once, expel some of those russian diplomats right now
>b-but the attack was in the u-uk
>FUCK'S SAKE GET YOUR ARSE INTO GEAR. WANT US TO BURN DOWN THAT PRECIOUS WHITE HOUSE AGAIN? FUCKING PANSIES. DO IT.
>y-yes master!

edition.cnn.com/2018/03/26/politics/us-expel-russian-diplomats/index.html

Attached: special relationship.jpg (1648x1020, 314K)

>It's not going to happen.
>says the increasingly nervous government shill for the 10th time this week

Attached: the eternal eagle.jpg (554x600, 130K)

Being from spain with our awfull civil war i really admire that after the war the north didnt go full genocideon the south and considered them as americans as them

Before the Civil War, people would say "The United States are." After the civil war, people said "The United States is."

I unironically want our next civil war to be like yours.

Specifically the Nationalists winning and purging the country of Communist vermin part. It's time to correct the mistake of 1865.

Attached: joseantonio_derivera_.jpg (1021x1600, 396K)

youtu.be/nAFUKOB1kfA

Because it is one of the 2 and a half somewhat interesting parts of the US so the yanks all bandwagon this war.

Post mid-17th century military history is so shit. When the colour of the regiments is the most visually interesting part.

zouaves from north or south are my favorite

Remember that people hate their neighbors and if a sort of purge happen a lot of innocents will die as well, like ithappened in spain or in any place where killing X is valid

The South would have unironically won if it wasn't for French autism asking the Russians if the wanted in on it too, failing to take into account they would never do something that helped support the British

Nah, the ACW is underrated by normies due to its contentious nature of discussion in America and irrelevance to Europeans. It isn’t as theatrical as The American Revolution and gets overshadowed by it in basic history the same way WW2 overshadows WW1, but it’s a fun war to learn about for autismal history buffs.

It was the last war were soldiers actually looked cool. Now everyone wears camouflage and has a clean shaven face.

No. A lot of people don't even have a personal connection to it because their families immigrated after the war.

That was largely thanks to the wisdom of men like Lincoln, Grant, Lee, and Longstreet who saw the need to reunite as one nation. It honestly worked fairly well for quite a few decades until the cracks began to form again around the 60s or so but I think the splinters are now a lot more than just north vs south. Really around the 1900s or so you began to see Union and Confederate veterans shake hands and cooperate on projects to mutually benefit America. Hell Longstreet's wife worked in a factory building airplanes in WW2 to support the American war effort.

Attached: 20785995_10155471917796827_3923602007636389347_o.jpg (2048x1322, 274K)

What's up with those by the way?
Light infantry?
French inspired infantry?
French people?

>hundreds of thousand of people are interested in these events, based on the type of rifle some soldiers used

AFTER the war was already over.

I thought I was the only one

>says the dixiefag for the 153rd time since 1865

THE PRAYERS ARE WORKING. THEY ARE DYING. FINALLY THE REBELS WHO WERE ISRAEL ARE FOUND. LET THE REBEL'S YELL. HOOOOO! DO NOT LISTEN TO THE COWARDS WHO TELL ME TO LEAVE. THESE ARE THE EMBEDDED EVIL ONES WHO SELL THEIR SOUL FOR MONEY AND POSITION OF POWER. THEY ARE INSIGNIFICANT COWARDS. IF YOU ARE ONE OF THEM, DENY YOUR OATH, BECAUSE DESTRUCTION IS COMING FROM MIGHTY EL AND IF YOU DO NOT, YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE. RENOUNCE THESE COWARDS AND LEAVE THEIR FRATERNITY IT IS A SHAM. SOMETHING FOR CHILDREN BUT NOT FOR REAL MEN. REAL MEN RELY ON THE ONLY GOD, EL, AND THEY DESTROY THE SPIRITUAL HOST WITH PRAYERS TO EL. THEY TRICKED US TO WORSHIP A MAN.

HERE IS A MAP FOR THE US OF EL'S ENEMIES.

usa-prophecies.blogspot.com/2011/06/judgment-against-tyre-edom-moab-and.html

HOOOOOO! GLORY HONOR POWER TO MIGHTY EL. THE MOST HIGH ABOVE ALL. HOOOOOOOO! EL IS DESTROYING THE LIBERALS WHO HATE EL, WHO SOME CALL YAW, BUT EL IS WHAT ABRAHAM CALLED HIM, AND BY THIS NAME HE IS DESTROYING ALL ENEMIES. ALL EVIL IS BEING ERADICATED. REDDIT WAS A SANCTUARY CITY, BUT THEY HAVE BROKE THE COMMAND AND BANNED ME BECAUSE EL IS DESTROYING THEM FOR THEIR EVIL. SO I'M HERE NOW. LET US DESTROY THEM. IDENTIFY ALL THE HIDDEN PARTITIONS OF POWER TO MIGHTY EL. FOR INSTANCE WE KNOW IN THE US, WE HAVE EDOM, MOAB, TYRE, ISRAEL, AND AMMON AND AT LONDON AND ENGLAND IS SIDON. TESTIFY TO ALL THESE COWARDS EVIL AGAINST EL'S COMMANDS SO WE ARE SURE THEIR ENTIRE HOST IS DESTROYED. IF YOU HONOR EL'S NAME IN YOUR TESTIOMONIES TO HIM, HE WILL SEND SPIRITUAL MISSILES AND CONTINUE TO DESTROY THEIR HOSTS. ALSO FOR ALL OTHER CONTINENTS, IDENTIFY THE HIDDEN POWERS IN A SIMILAR WAY ESPECIALLY OF EUROPE AND MEDITERANIAN, BECAUSE I'M NOT SURE WHO THE PLAYERS ARE THERE. HOOOOOO! SEND THE MISSILES TO THEIR HOSTS NOW. HOOOOOOOO!

It was the bloodiest war on US soil and left marks that remain today.

The US and CS went further with the use of rockets and ironclad ships.

2/5ths of the country break off in a desperate bid to maintain their dystopian paradise fueled by the blood of millions of slaves from the dark continent.
Riots, corruption, poverty and the vicissitudes of a rising power in upheaval lead the fanatical President of the U.S to assume dictatorial powers, conscripting tens of thousands in a bid to restore order in the governed federation and pacify the rebellion. His weak and inept geneeals failing to throw the unwilling souls if the damned into the gates of hell ensure a war if steady self destructive attrition.
Dictator Lincoln having been frustrated and perplexed by the ongoing war, and the decay of his society finally sends the old butcher Grant on a new campaign of total war, razing city after city until finally a new nation emerges, broken and chamged forever but with a silver lining.
An affirmation of the legacy of this beacon of civilization in the world.
The union shall stand!

>Are you Englishmen or only Goths and Vandals?
Is it just me or does this exhibit a lingering sense of shared identity with the British and the Americans?

DON'T LET THEIR DECEPTION WORK. THE WAR WAS NOT ABOUT SLAVES. THE ELITE 5 WERE THE SLAVE OWNERS. THE WAR WAS ABOUT GOING FROM A CONFEDERATE SYSTEM, TO A FERERATED MODEL SO THEY COULD INFLICT PAIN ON WHO THEY HATED, ISRAEL. HOOOOOOOO! DEATH TO THE COWARDS. ALL IDOLATRY MUST END. THE PRAYERS OF THEIR EVIL TO TRICK US INTO THE PIT OF WORSHIPPING A MAN, MUST BE RECOMPENSED UPON THEIR HEADS WITH THE PRAYERS. HOOOOOOO! YOU COWARD MOTHERFUCKERS WILL DIE BY THE WRATH OF EL.

jesus this is why everyone hates nu-/pol/

Attached: 1521849697400.png (944x4013, 662K)