Has British philosophy even ever come out with anything of note. It just sounds so robotic

Has British philosophy even ever come out with anything of note. It just sounds so robotic.

Attached: 220px-David_Hume.jpg (220x267, 12K)

No
Not at all (pic unrelated)

Attached: Adam_Smith_The_Muir_portrait.jpg (540x694, 50K)

Absolutely nothing (pic unrelated)

Attached: 800px-Somer_Francis_Bacon (1).jpg (800x982, 189K)

Can't think of any good ones (pic unrelated)

Attached: 1520219993753.jpg (1109x1169, 53K)

Why can't they contribute more usefully (pic unrelated)

Attached: William_of_Ockham.png (271x361, 203K)

There isn't a single good one (pic unrelated)

Attached: JohnDunsScotus_-_full.jpg (314x479, 32K)

who the fuck are these people?

Nothing of note (pic unrelated)

Attached: 147405-004-8572CF16.jpg (349x450, 50K)

Reverse image search newfag

>Posts Hobbes
>Forgets this absolute madman

Attached: Locke.jpg (780x585, 201K)

Yeah but he galvanised the American revolution so no points for him!

And yeah, it may sound robotic to a philosophy student or edgy teen who just wants to here profound but ultimately useless remarks about the nature of the universe.
But to those who actually give a shit about human progress, maybe pay attention to their boring ideas about economics, political theory and the scientific method

*hear

If you consider the very fact you are posting on this website talking about philosophy “robotic” you might want to admit yourself to a ward

U FOKKIN WOT

Are we just going to pretend Scottish people are Brittish?

>Literally born in Great Britain, within the British Isles.
>Not British

British is a term used for the people of the main mass of the United Kingdom, along with the islands of Scotland’s, of Mann and of White, but not of Northern Ireland
IRON BREW AND HAGGIS is very similar in dialectical studies to northern Englishmen and thus are seen as homogenous whilst the Irish of Ireland and Ulster Scots (northern Irish) are seen as culturally different

Wellington was the descendant of English absentee landlords in the second British empire and thus is seen as British not Irish

Wellington was literally born in Ireland from a long line of ancestors born in Ireland
He was definitely Irish. It would be like saying Benjamin Franklin was British

Then why did he not speak Irish as his mothertongue, why was he not a Catholic, why did he not engage in that great hobby of shooting landlords and begging for booze

Because he's not stupid

dunno

Attached: mw00519.jpg (542x800, 63K)

>wellington was irish

"being born in a stable does not make one a horse

- literally wellington on being born in ireland

Well it's not called pedestrian philosophy for nothing, you know. The English love to worship mundane thoughts so much because the people there lack the necessary faculty for philosophical (i.e. metaphysical) abstractions. Sure, there are some exceptions (e.g. British Idealists), but most are like that.

Source?

>metaphysical
Literally useless pretentious crap that has never helped anyone

That was actually an Irish nationalist saying wellington wasn’t one of them
Waterloo was decided on the cricket fields of Eton was also made by his son or brother

Ah yes, the famed philosophers of the school of Literally Whomst

Not my fault you're a retard
Famous != useful

You don't know who Adam Smith is? You don't know what Occam's Razor is? You've never heard of Francis Bacon?

I'm sure that you thought your post was an hilarious piece of cheeky Anglo-bashing but instead you've made yourself look like a complete moron

>HURR y no good bong philosophs lmao
>DURR who these philophs lmao i never herd of them lmao i so smart lolzors
OP confirmed for 56%.

Why do you think they're American?
Americans are generally supportive of Britain due to ancestry (except the Immigrants)

Because a European who hates Britain would at least have heard of Adam Smith and Francis Bacon.

It's literally illegal to be this uneducated in some countries, and in those it isn't, it should.

It would be stunning for an American to not know Adam Smith.

>only Europe and America exist
Maybe they're a butthurt ex-colonial

He has a point, though. The Big Three of Western Philosophy is Plato (Greek), Descartes (French) and Hegel (German). This can be measured by how many times people turn them into philosophical punching bags ('footnotes'; how many criticisms and reactions against them). Two British schools of thought were literally founded from reactions against the later two.

You'd be surprised lmao.
I guarantee that Charlemagne would be a 'who' amongst most people

And yet here we are.
I like to think that even an AUSTRALIAN would know at least one of those philosophers.

*cough*Newton*cough*

Yea, but the point is that British philosophy is generally overlooked because it is 'boring'.
While plato and descartes philosophise about profound thinks such as existence and the such, people like adam Smith philosophise about how to improve the world in a useful practical way.
What has plato's 'republic' done for society in comparison to Smith's 'wealth of nations'?
They may not be famous, but their impact is unmistakable.

He's not a philosopher

Anyone from any country should. It's absolutely crazy that anyone from any country posting on Veeky Forums would have heard of none of them. It must have been a sub 80 IQ /int/ poster that decided to pop in and indulge in some kind of international shitposting competition and has ended up utterly humiliating themselves.

He was a natural philosopher the concept of a "scientist" didn't exist back then.

And Descartes is? What is Newton, if not a philosopher?

Well he's not a philosopher in the modern sense of the word
Yes. A scientist

Literally what? Why would Descartes be one of the "big three"? I don't know who taught you that trailer trash nonsense but it's not true.

How about Aristotle you imbecile

Smith's impact in philosophy is negligible. He didn't propose anything radically new whatsoever. We're talking about philosophy here, since you can't even stay on topic nor draw a clear and distinct demarcation between what is philosophical and what is not, I doubt you possess enough intellectual capability to philosophize in the first place.

Like I said before, pedestrian philosophy.

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel.

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist,
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away,
Half a crate of whiskey every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
And Hobbes was fond of his dram.

And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart,
"I drink, therefore I am."

>I can't even read a post past one sentence
Maybe philosophy is not for you.

Quit talking out your arse
>Philosophy (from Greek φιλοσοφία, philosophia, literally "love of wisdom"[1][2][3][4]) is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

Wait, two sentences.

Ok then, what would prefer to call 'economic philosophy' and 'political philosophy'? which are, by the way, established schools of philosophical thought

Do you know about the three forms of abstraction

>LIke I said before, pedestrian philosophy.

No. Explain please

Whatever, that doesn't mean it's not more important

Fuck off back to Veeky Forums. Fuck, this guy is a pretentious arsehole

>He didn't propose anything radically new whatsoever
But somehow free market capitalism became the dominant economic structure in the western world

You're a fucking idiot there's absolutely no sourced material that cites Descartes and Hegel as the most criticized and being criticized for being fucking retarded like Descartes does not make him a "big three" philosopher. You're actually a moron.

>the people there lack the necessary faculty for philosophical (i.e. metaphysical) abstractions

care to elaborate? it sounds to me like you just need to get over yourself

Nigga what you on about. Smith is not "negligable" - have you read Smith or do you know anything about him?

You sound like a fedora tipper... Did you learn everything you know about philosophy from video games?

IM NOT BRITTIN I IZ GERMAN N SHIET

Why would an American ever prefer to identify himself as a descendent of a German immigrant as opposed to a descendent of old-stock English settlers?

Because then they’re special and unique and cool

>unique
Not anymore lol