Should I do my pull-ups overhand or underhand?

Should I do my pull-ups overhand or underhand?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UfhT0OSUU0w
vocaroo.com/i/s1ucmokIrpTc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

both

gay boy

3 sets overhand, 3 sets underhand, 3 sets neutral grip

What's neutral grip?

this

Usually people call a pullup with an underhand grip a chin up. The only difference between the two is that in a pull up the brachioradialis is mostly used for elbow contraction while the bicep is used for elbow contraction in the chin up. Since most people have far stronger biceps than brachioradialis(s)? they find the chin up easier

You do your pull ups over hand and your chin ups underhand

same position as a chin up but with your knucles facing you

If you do a lot of pullups invest in rings. I start pull up and pull to neutral.

I find the rock climbing ones easier to grasp.

I do pullups every day and go up to 2pl8s at 165lbs. If I had to do this all on a straight bar I think my shoulder would have exploded by now.

>on monday, wednesday, and friday, respectively. and not to failure
you'd have to be a /fraud/ and a gymnast to do 9 sets of pullups with a challenging/effective # of reps

You just described a close grip pull-up, love. Neutral grip is when you use the little handles that stick out perpendicular from the pull-up bar.

underhand is likely to lead to elbow strain/injuries, most likely "golfer's elbow"

neutral is the healthiest for your joints, overhand has the most application for rock climbing and whatever, underhand is for weaklings or people who try to make everything about their biceps

underhand is called chinup no?

You might be right, I've been doing them for 9 years now so it takes a ridiculous amount of setsxreps or weight to make it a challenge. When I was younger I just did them every single day, no real planning or caring about gaining muscle just constantly hitting it. Worked for me.

youtube.com/watch?v=UfhT0OSUU0w

very good video on the subject.

interesting. how wide would you have the rings? asking because the hand width seems like it ought to be different for all the different types, yet this doesnt seem possible with the rings

Pull-ups are underhand
Chin-ups are overhand

I tried to do pullups every day in high school and I couldn't recover. And I was a nationally ranked wrestler.

Just curious, how many can you do in one AMRAP set?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSss
Yes!!
Yes/??
YES!!

overhand. Because underhand is a chin-up

Fuckin nice, l8ly I've only been able to hit 15. A good 3xF day is 15, 12, 10. BW 215-220

That's really good with your bodyweight. I'm only 170.

>underhand /pull/-ups
H'okay.

Thanks. The goals consuming me right now are bodyweight press (PR 210 right now) and 20 pullups

>Weigh 180
>Can bench two plates
>Can only do 1 pull up
Ok what the fuck do i do to fix this?

more pullups

reverse it

Hurr durr
Nigger I can only do one.. what do I do just do 1 two every day

That's fuckin weird user, maybe start with barbell rows so you can work up. Also they go well with bench, same plane. I like pullups with press and rows with bench m'self

Do negatives. lose weight, fatass. Do chinups (underhanded)

Holy fuck your shoulders must be so far winged forward

You need to start doing horizontal rows and lat pulldowns asap buddy

I can't do either. How do I get better?

>BB rows
maybe lawnmower starts but BB is better
>pulldown
either cable or HammerStrength, you know the ones
>assisted pullups
either the machine or just with rubber bands

>tfw started doing pull-ups when I was 12 years old
>can do 25 perfect, controlled form pull-ups with ease
thanks based marine dad

I am trying to bulk

I home gym so don’t have a lat pull down set up

I also have a 3rd degree should separation.. not an excuse but maybe that’s affecting jt

>I am trying to bulk
Then do all the other shit, you latlet. I cannot believe you're actually that fucking weak

>using a suicide grip

Back to rubbit

KYS fagget

Are you in the wrong thread?

Wow, so since i'm doing what's called "Dryland exercise" every other day, i actually gotta do both?
Interesting. Cause on one hand, the brachs are the most important ones for me, but also bicep is a muscle that's little to never being targeted ever...

My lats will hate me on saturday, literally being targeted 6 times a week hahaha.

No..

Look at his thumbs retard

If it's hanging I call it monkey grip. Not gonna die falling one foot

And what's wrong with it, turbofaggot?

Can i do weighted chin-ups by wearing a backpack with water bottles on my stomach instead of my back? Or is that gonna damage something in the long run?

You fucking idiot. That's right there is the optimal pull up grip. It's only on the bench that it's a suicide grip

Mixed grip

Yeah enjoy falling to you're deaths you retarded fags

do bw rows, 3 sets of 10, if you manage to do them add weight by putting a plate on your chest and having your feet elevated. if you can do 3x10 with 10kg (22LBS) on your chest you can probably do three sets of 5 pull ups. rows have a good carryover to pullups imo

Pretty much any decent rock climber can do this and none of them do gear. Sooner you stop believing this the better

this

vocaroo.com/i/s1ucmokIrpTc

question!

which should i be doing and why??? wide neutral narrow grip. chin pull up.

brb doing these in the squat rack

Over. Under hand is for fags

Is this the best pull up ?

This makes sense user, I do 10 sets of 6 in nuetral grip.

regardless of what works best, everyone will always think you're a bitch for not doing them "the hard way," that is, overhand.

Also it seems like everyday work is done overhand. They just feel more...deliberate. Do overhand or all of them

Are you a moron? He said it fine. He says knuckles not hands. The only possible way to pull with knuckles is if you do neutral grip. Aka using those bars.

He said "knuckles facing you." Your knuckles are those bony knobs on the BACK of your hands, user. The only way for your knuckles to be facing you is for your palms to be forward, i.e. a standard pull-up.

That's the opposite for me I can do pullups way easier than chinups but my forearms are bigger than my biceps

I would do easily 30 mins of pull-ups while waiting for my gyms singular squat rack to open up. By senior year of high school i was capable of doing 40 rep sets. Greatness is not achieved through limiting yourself.

will someone please turn off the wi-fi in the manlet pit

Lol Lanklet fags can't do pullups

To do more pull-ups, do more pull-ups. Or, if that's too difficult, do assisted pull-ups:
a) jump up to the bar and try your hardest to keep yourself at the top, or
b) rest your feet on a chair as you pull up; try to minimize how much you're lifting yourself up with your feet

Overhand is a pullup, works primarily back, underhand is a chinup and primarily works bicep but also back. What area are you trying to target?

add weight using a dip belt. Hit 5 reps and bump up 2.5lbs.

Agreed mate. Did calisthenics and my pendlay row is bloody miles ahead of everything. I can 1rm row the same as my 5rm squat fs.

180lbs here. Chinups I'm hitting about 3x15, pullups say 3x12.

Pullup negatives. Or probably the best option, get a resistance band and do pullups with it till you can do 10 then remove the band.

The pullup is should be one of your essential lat moves. Regardless. Forget all the row stuff, get a resistance band, use it under your feet till you hit 10 reps, then just under your knee till 10 reps then remove until you hit 10 reps raw. Then use a dip belt to start adding weight.

If you're doing proper chinups/pullups, your chin shoudl completely clear the bar, not the shitt ones where you have to crane your neck back to get it in line. So keep it on your back and do proper chinups.

You have your feet under you. Sure you lose some strength because you can't squeeze the bar with your hands properly but if the bar is out of reach from standing it gives a much better setup.

Friend is on the national team and his method to get really good at that shit was to have a pullup bar on his doorway and everytime he walked through his door he did a set to failure.

RESISTANCE BANDS

I was 6' then. Pullups and by extensuon, every lift, becomes a skull.

>"the hard way," that is, overhand
I can do more pull-ups overhand than underhand

Weighted calisthenics rather then more reps and harder variations is for embarassingly lazy cunts.

YOU HAVE TO DO ROWS

MORE OFTEN THAN YOU BENCH, OR ELSE YOURE ASKING FOR SHOULDER PROBLEM S

Pullups are more back, chinups are more bicep, do both including wide and narrow grips.

Try banging out a set of pullups with 20kg swinging beneath your balls.

You can only do pull ups if it’s over hand. Underhand is a chin up.

Don't spout stupid shit. Both are vastly majority back. Changing the elbow flexor doesn't change the work your back does, it changes what muscle flexes your elbow.

>my forearms are bigger than my biceps
What the fuck? Pics?

>he hasn't achieved popeye mode

Do both, one focuses on tri the other on bi

I use a supine grip as advised by Rip to target my biceps.

do negatives. the answer is the same for all calisthenic exercises

>when your english is so bad you confuse "knuckles" with "thumbs," but you call other people morons