/mfit/ - Military Fit

Hey I'm enlisting in the Navy and I probably will be shipping out sometime in march assuming all goes well medically at MEPS.
Any /fitizens/ here from any of the four branches that
My friend a retired SEAL (now works as a Nurse Practitioner) as you might imagine is pretty fucking Veeky Forums and also training me in his spare time.
I just been doing mostly intense cardio and isometric/body weight exercises and in his words "crossfit" which I thought was bullshit but really anything to get my heart rate up and up.

How did you take your prep (for those who enlisted or went ROTC) for boot camp. Share your stories

Other urls found in this thread:

tim.blog/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

armyfag here, before I went to basic I just start running two or three miles a day for about a month, went from a 20 minute two mile, down to a 16. Now I'm pushing a 13 minute. My goal is 11. Honestly man, just run, pushups, pullups. Idk much about the nazy but I'm assuming you should learn how to swim and stay afloat for 10+ minutes

Also, if you are the fat one, and you know you are if you are, start losing weight. Time now, nobody gets it worse than the fat one. My friend Crosby was the fat one, poor bastard was always picked out of the crowd.

lastly, keep your fucking mouth shut the entire time, speak when spoken to, and do everything exactly the way your instructors tell you to do it. Don't do more, don't do less

I did Marines physical training for a while with my friend; it's essentially CrossFit in the sense of a bunch of reps for exercises with little rest time so make sure you're okay doing that. Otherwise most of their requirements are gonna be calisthenics stuff so pushup and pull-up and run your heart out

this is accurate

it's the navy don't sweat it lol

navy here. boot camp isn't hard, and the only thing you can't fudge is the run so just be able to make minimum standards by the time you ship out. everyone cheats on pushups and situps

don't stand up for the "moment of truth". they seed the crowd with recruits on hold so it looks like people come forward with something to hide

That's bullshit too. In reality as long as you don't admit to committing murder or something equally stupid/seperatable you're fine. Most kids just stand up because of undisclosed medical conditions or pot, none of the people I know who stood got kicked out.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP

Armyfag here, over the weight limit(5'8, 185) but passes tape. How can I drop 10lbs over the next 15 days? I've started cutting
>carbs
>anything not water/black coffee
>all candy

Suggested diet?

what nation?
No way you're in any respectable countries army with that nasty arab beard

tim.blog/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

Are you in or are you DEP? If you're going to MEPs dun this and prepare to feel like shit at the airport while rehydrating.

all the calisthenic workout advice is good, but also study your Start guide as much as possible. it makes inspections go by much easier and you'll even get tested on that shit during p-days. i heard you can rank up if you score high enough, but i entered as an E-3, so i couldn't get any higher.
speaking of inspections, try to get a center rack. most times inspectors pass you up and you get an automatic outstanding for an inspection.

OP here, i'm actually shooting for a diver, swcc or even a buds contract depending on my fitness test scores. I just wanted to know what your stories were like.

Luckily the gym I go to has a pool and I do swim/was a lifeguard and PADI scuba Assistant scuba instructor a few years back. It's awkward at first doing the sidestroke but then I realized how inefficient front crawl really is.

Are you depped yet? Do you have a rate yet?

just do pushups, sit ups, run everyday along with random other calisthenics like burpees and planks and wall sits.

depends on your RDC really

I went to Navy OCS and we have Marine DI so it may differ a bit but I thought I had to be an olympic athlete when i went so i trained hard af and when i got there i was more fit than everyone else and it made things ten times easier

that being said training for diver is not that bad, mostly swimming and get prepared to drown

seal youre on your own run a lot i guess

the only thing i can say about those rates is be prepared to deal with boot camp for an additional month or so because your A-school is right next door to RTC

Asking for a friend. How should he condition himself for bct? He ships out in 5 days and hasn't trained at all in the past two weeks since he signed up.

Don’t go for a BUD/S contract if you aren’t 100% committed to being a SEAL.
You WILL drop out and become undesignated, and the Navy will send you wherever they need, most likely chipping paint off a ship.

Navy O-4 here. Unless you're looking very seriously at SPECWAR (SEAL, EOD, AIRRs, SWCC), I'd encourage you to focus on gaining a technical rating instead of blowing up the PFA. The standards are relatively easy to meet and there's a lot of money to be had in the civilian job sector after you leave active if you have the right military training/schools. I once reenlisted a fire controlman who was receiving a $75k reenlistment bonus just because he had such valuable training.

What's your rate or job if you don't mind? Just curious.

SWO

This fella is right. You'll get sent to Deck dept. on some ship if you don't make the cut in SPECWAR. I'm not discouraging, however. Just warning.

>SWO
my condolences

Yeah if you’re truly committed, go for it.
But even with needing to get optimum PST scores, getting through 800 division and BUD/S prep, still 70-80% drop, because they don’t have the mindset

Yeah quality of life really varies by command. My favorite tour was on a forward-deployed ship out of Sasebo. We were always at sea, but we were doing shit that mattered. The worst time I've had on ships is when we're moored in homeport. The grey ladies turn in to floating office buildings and everyone has a shitty mood.

CG?
the worst time is when you arrive at a ship and its returning from a sea tour
never mattered for me since I am a NFO so I only showed up when we were going underway

Naw LHD. Sasvegas is an amphib base. I always got along with aviators. You guys are way more down to earth.

yea i think cause our command is usually more relaxed. SWOs have more responsibilities and now have way more scrutiny on their watch
desu i do not envy the rep you guys get imo you have the most stressful job

Marine here, if you can do a handful of pull ups and run kinda fast you'll be fine

Armyfag here. I do strength training but that's just because of my personal goals. The only way to be considered "fit" in the military is to have ridiculous muscular and cardiovascular endurance.

Practice running, sit ups and pushups. Also, do a variety of exercises with weight vests or a weighted backpack. The goal is not to get buff or have a ton of strength, but to be able to run endlessly with heavy gear and sprint without getting too winded.

US Army faggot. Wonderful help you've been.

Thanks.

nah he probs just got a no shave profile like a little faggot because he is brown.

How difficult is the deadlift in opat? I'm pretty skelly and the test is next week, is there anything I can do that may help? I got a 19k contract ao heavy requirement.

Air Force fag here

Honestly AF basic is so fucking easy you could not train at all and you'd probably make it. The Navy is maybe slightly harder but not by much.

Also you don't exactly need to be in the shape of your life for any basic training, every branches' standards are very comparable. In the AF, a man needs to be able to do like 33 pushups as a minimum. In the Marines, it is like 34 pushups. Fucking piss easy. The only reason recruiters tell you to get in shape is to make the experience easier, which it definitely will.

In my basic, by far the worst fucking experience was BEAST chemical drills. We basically got in a giant rubber suit and gas mask and lugged around canteens, a metal vest, a rifle, and a helmet in the dead of summer in Texas. We ran, we did drills, etc. It fucking sucked and usually by the end we were ready to pass out. A couple guys did.

Just run and do some lifts. Running is key though.

No shave profiles allow you to maintain a small bit of stubble but you still have to use an electric razor/trimmer to keep a groomed appearance.

I've heard of religious exemption for Sikhs but since he doesn't have the other Sikh gear, I'm assuming he's just LARPing. For the record, I've never actually even seen someone with a beard due to religious exemption, it's just a thing I've heard of.

We had a kid with such bad acne he got a no shave profile because he was literally scarring up his face. I cannot run for shit, the smokers were lapping me so I just got chaptered out.

>I sleepwalk
>okay youre out

It was army in fort Leonard wood, aka brief hell for me

I feel like that's a pretty good incentive to not fuckup and waste taxpayer time and money with SF training for shitters who just played COD or FEAR and now suddenly want to be a SEAL.

On a unrelated note how are the gyms on base for where you are stationed at?

If you got chaptered out of TRADOC why even pretend to be a soldier online?

No not yet

I respect you for your mindset but it really isnt as simple as you think it will be. BUDS is absolutely no joke and your spirit will be tested to the limits.

Gym's are actually pretty decent on any military base, but depending on the times you go it's over crowded as fuck. Great equipment tho

This. Everyone and i mean EVERYONE can meet the physical standards with a little preparation. Mentally you will be pushed to well beyond your limits.

t. BUD/s Dud

Kill yourself. This place is overrun with retards.
I haven't shipped yet. I haven't shaved. I am not Arab or a Sikh. Here's some paperwork from MEPS a few weeks ago.

Your pic should be enough indication that you better start doing a boat load of endurance training and a fuckload of swimming/water training if you want to go SEALS

This is one mindset I'm disagreeing with more and more the older I get. It used to be whatever to go run 8 miles with 60 lbs on but that shit starts to wear on you really fast. In my experience, if you're a decent runner and have any respectable lower body strength then you'll be a good rucker. No reason to put that kind of stress on your joints in training.

Air force here. I was already in shape from soccer and lifting. Honestly basic training wasn't very difficult if you're already in decent shape.

Former Marine here. Literally all you will do is drill. you wont need any physical training. anyone who enlists is pushed through. its a cake walk

different guy but 100% commited to bud/s. is the challenge contract the way to go?

9 years Armyfag here, running and calisthenics. It's that simple. Don't forget your air squats.