Are the different rep ranges for different outcomes just a meme? I really think it's all bullshit...

Are the different rep ranges for different outcomes just a meme? I really think it's all bullshit. When I go to gym I really think like I have to train until I can't really take it aymore, until I feel like my body is dying and I have absolutely no more strenght left in me. Everything else feels like I'm cheating and leaves me feeling guilty. So I workout unitl I fucking die and body parts get numb. Besides, can you really separate strenght from the muscle mass? It's all the same, you get stronger when your muscles grow and vice versa, you won't look big if you don't lift heavy.
Has this shit been scientifically proven?

So basically you're fucking stupid and yeah. When you go balls to the walls every time you train you are subjecting your body to snake venom. Every time you get subjected to snake venom you'll begin to build a tolerance. If you get too much snake venom you'll die. When you overtrain you damage your nervous systems and over work your endocrine system. You'll notice the side effects. Constantly tired. No more progression on lifts, muscular atrophy, etc... The goal of rep ranges is to stress the body in an efficient way to achieve whatever your is. Periodizing each of these helps maximize long term gains and makes them more efficient too. Low reps high weight trains cns to work better to squeeze off extra weight, hypertrophy increases the threshold of how high the cns can be trained, endurance trains the muscle fiber to endure and also switches prioritization of muscle fiber types. Too much endurance with atrophy fast twitch fibers

It isn't bullshit in the sense of optimizing ranges for movements and results, but a lot of the way people think about how this functions is bullshit. Indeed, your five rep max and your ten rep max would both add the same amount of muscle to your chest if you benched them, but they have other purposes relative to the rest of the program and optimization that make certain ranges preferable. Going max weight low reps all the time on every lift is a recipe for injury and burnout, just like going light weight high reps on every lift is a recipe for -relative- weakness and inefficient mass

You're correct that the chart in your picture is a gross over simplification. In reality, strength and size go hand in hand. As a rule (although again an over simplification) you won't grow bigger unless you're getting stronger, and at a certain point you won't get stronger unless you've gotten bigger.

Judging from the scientific litterature, it doesn't seem like the rep range makes much of a difference on a set per set basis in regard to how much of a hypertrophy response the given set will elicit. However, hypertrophy is also closely related to how much total work you do, and if you're exclusively handling very heavy weights (in relation to your 1RM) it's hard to accumulate a lot of work. Therefore it makes sense to use slightly lighter weight if training mainly for size. But again, practically speaking you can't really have one without the other.

How much you need to push yourself - on individual sets as well as during the whole training session - is another discussion entirely. Ideally you will want to cycle the amount of effort you put in up and down over time. If you never truly push yourself, you won't get far. But being constantly at the other extreme, only going balls out all day erry day is also not how you'll see optimal results.

Adding to what said, judging by what you're saying you're probably still a novice and don't need to worry about any of this.

Novices adapt so quickly to the stress of lifting that they're effectively a new person at the beginning of every workout. As a novice, you're effectively adapted to doing nothing, which means your body will gain muscle mass, improve its neural efficiency, and improve endurance/conditioning with any exposure to intensity (since literally anything is high intensity to you at that time.) This is why SS only has novices do three sets of five - it's literally all they need to make progress to start out with and there's plenty of time after the first few months to add in other shit.

It's possible to 'overtrain' as a novice but it goes away pretty fast. - like a couple of hours. It only happens when you really push it to stupid degrees, and I doubt you'd actually manage it. You probably just feel tired because you're exerting yourself and you aren't particularly strong.

It all sounds like some broscience-tier mumbo-jumbo to me. How can you overtrain and damage your nervous system or overwork you endocrine system through workout? It's bull, workout doesn't damage your nervous system man. People are overcomplicating this, endurace this, periodisation that, better cns traning...what? Just fucking work unitl you will drop dead on the floor, rest and eat. Do you damage your brain through overthinking? No, you can study really hard, just let it rest properly afterwards.

>So basically you're fucking stupid

Not an argument.

>muh snake venom
You know how retarded rhat sounds right?
You CAN damage ur nerves with execise, but you need to go beyond your body limits to do so (runners high etc.).
No normal workout damages your body permanently, and it definitly doesnt deminish gains to lift more you mongoloid.

It's very possible to produce more stress in the course of a workout than you can recover from before the next one. This becomes easier to do the stronger you get, because you're capable of using your body so efficiently you can produce force closer and closer to your 'absolute' physical limits.

This produces 'overtraining,' which usually manifests as a MARKED reduction in strength (e.g. you're unable to squat 405 today when you could do 550 a month ago), extreme fatigue, loss of appetite, whole-body soreness, and psychological symptoms similar to depression - probably due to the systemic inflammatory response brought on by the extreme stress.

It doesn't damage your nervous system but depending on your circumstances it ruins your training and can take several weeks to subside. Advanced lifters - who require several weeks of carefully applied stress to add weight to the bar - use periodisation to help manage so this doesn't happen and fuck up their training.

Working 'till you drop dead on the floor' is stupid and counterproductive because it achieves nothing other than making you feel tired now. If you want to actually make long term progress, you need to plan for it in some way. Hence, rep ranges.

To answer your initial question as simply as possible: Your body has several different metabolic pathways it can use to deliver energy to cells to do work, ranging from very fast delivery with very small reserves (the ATP/CP cycle) to much slower delivery with (functionally) limitless reserves (aerobic glucogenisis.) All of these pathways depend on the ability to break down ATP (adenosine triphosphate) into ADP (adenosine diphosphate) and CP (creatine phosphate.) For quick, split-second efforts, the 'free' ATP in the system is used. Longer efforts require other substances (like glycogen, glycerol, etc) to be broken down to supply more (cont.)

>that image
>not knowing the dreaded 7 reps which result in no net gain

continuing Depending on the type of effort, your body will prioritise different energy pathways. For a one rep max the energy will be supplied either entirely or almost entirely by 'free' ATP.

For a set of 5, the initial rep will largely occur within the ATP/CP cylce, maybe the second. But because the set takes 45secs to just over a minute your body can't re-supply ATP quickly enough to cover the whole effort. So glycotic pathways become more important (using glycogen stores in the muscles themselves to produce additional ATP.)

For higher-rep sets and longer efforts like endurance activities,, your body makes use of ATP/CP and glycotic pathways at the same time. ATP is 'recreated' because its metabolite ADP is unstable and readily recombines with creatine phosphate. This, by the way, is why taking creatine lets you lift more.

For very high rep sets, you'll also start to see glucogenisis (breaking down fat molecules into sugars for conversion to more ATP) come into play. This process is aerobic, meaning it requires oxygen, which makes it significantly slower.

So yes, the rep ranges do have a meaningful purpose. It's important to remember that your body adapts SPECIFICALLY to stress. You get better at doing something if you do that thing.

If you do sets of 5, you're producing enough force to put significant demands on your neuromuscular system, which adapts by getting stronger. If you do sets of 8-12, you put demands on immediate energy stores in the cells, which makes them adapt by increasing the size of their sarcoplasm to store more. If you do sets of 15+ you expose yourself to greater fatigue and long-term energy demand, and your body adapts by becoming better at managing this.

There's overlap at every point, and this is all pretty much irrelevant to novices because even lower-rep sets at high intensity stress all of these systems simultaneously because you're weak and unfit like a bitch.

6-7 reps do literally nothing for you

Does somebody have that diagram which shows that?

would it be better to do a couple of backoff sets after each heavy session or to have a dedicated light session?

Strength
>1-3,100-80%
Hypertrophy
>5-15,80-60%
Endurance
>15-20,60-40%

All physiological changes occurs simultaneously however they are more pronounced on different rep ranges. To several varying degrees if you get bigger you get stronger and the other way around is also true, but one isn't completely dependent do the other.

Rep rangers are irrelevant for everyone that is a novice to intermediate lifter, ie 99% of Veeky Forums and the general population

You should use a rep range that allows for the best combination of recovery and progressive overload, which if 5 reps

you have no idea what you're talking about

The well thought out responses in this thread are impressive, then they're followed with

>BROSCIENCE MUMBO JUMBO LOLZ

Enlighten us, genius.