Tall dude trying to run injury-free

I'm 6'5'' and 220 pounds. Every time I try to run I end up injuring myself after some weeks. Still, I managed to run 10k once. Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mTMgIViinuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wCVSv7UxB2E
youtube.com/watch?v=Erd0uyu03go
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

reincarnate as manlet ?
heavy people arent built for long distance running. either lose weight or find other type of cardio

Try low-impact cardio instead.
I bike on my rest days and my knees feel amazing

watch videos of pose method running

>BigDonsBoys.com

I wish I could swim again. I'm a poorfag, tho.

Stretch and try to keep your weight down

Plenty of Squats. Unilateral stuff. Focus on Lower back, gloots, hips and hammies.

alternate with treadmill. much softer impact. also make sure you are not going more than 400 miles on your shoes before getting new ones. you are big and will break down the shock absorption faster than most

How about you study running form you weirdo?

didnt you make this thread earlier you fucking fag

Long distance running is a manlet's sport.

I'm 5'11" and I was one of the tall ones on my cross country team.

long distance steady state cardio is actually the biggest meme on the planet.

>not doing HIIT sprint repeats
>training in the aerobic energy system, ever
>doing MORE work for LONGER with LESS results
>decreasing muscle cell hypertrophy

Bumping cus same problem as OP

6ft and 90kg/198lbs.
I get shin splints so quick if I'm joggng or sprinting. So my cardio is either walking or stationary bike. Now its summer I've been spending more time swimming too.

not everyone is built for running, especially if youve bulked up in the gym. all the extra mass will fuck your knees.

Lol the best runners are are always about 5'10-6ft.
Did you try stretching? Did you make sure to walk a little after a run?

this

I'm 6'4 210, same problem, went to a doctor and it's very common, either knees, ankles, in my case back.
You should warm-up and stretch before running, running is not a warm-up for big dudes.

My tip: pick a starting point for your run ~5k away from home, go there on your bike, increasing speed gradually so that you're already in full sweat-mode when you start running, Pedal easy on the way back, as cool-down for DOMS and to undo "knots" you may have tightened while running

fuark forgot

Stop running if it hurts. Walk briskly instead.

buy better shoes

fix your form

You have to work your way up to running distance , I am 6'2 and 240 and have run a 10k this year, my calves were sore for 2 days after and i got a blister because i was wearing old socks. Intervals are way better but be careful with them too untrained bouts of 90% effort sprinting will blow your body apart.

Bike until we have commercial available mecha-joints.

6'2" 200 here.
I do very little running outdoors anymore, my ankles suck. Compensate for the ankles then end up with shin splints.
The funny thing is I'll do indoor basketball 2-3 times a week no problem. Good shoes, spring floor and short sprints. Still end up with 2-3miles after a couple hours. I also used to run on an indoor track at my local Comunity College. Signed up for a "body dynamics" class which gave me access to their gym, pool, courts and tracks. 6 months for

So I'm 6'6" and I feel like I'm having more and more back pain
I've been working on keeping my posture straight while walking and standing generally, but I honestly don't know what exercises I should be doing to strengthen my back so that I can go about my fucking day without feeling like I have to lay down. I've been mostly just doing pull-ups and push-ups since no gym membership right now.

>being retarded

Ligaments and tendons take long as fuck to heal and a lot of damage to them cannot be fully healed. That means once you have injured them you are more likely to injure them again.
Stick to cycling or swimming if running messes you up.

>6'5"@220lbs
>heavy

How are you injuring yourself?
Former cross country runner here.

Can't stress this enough.

Learn to run correctly. You think you just 'run'. You think that it's a natural movement that humans can inately do. Well so is squating but most people can't do that.

So really learn. I really learned and now, I can go months without training and hit sub 4min km pretty easy.

I run in xeroshoes too.

youtube.com/watch?v=mTMgIViinuQ

youtube.com/watch?v=wCVSv7UxB2E

youtube.com/watch?v=Erd0uyu03go

Will look into it.

Are you me?

I used to go straight up running, stretch afterwards and then run some more.

Havr you tried barefoot running?
Modern "running" shoes are basicly designed to make you feel comfy at the moment. Not for running health. Look at how native africans who are still tribal run. These giys are crazy fast and they run very differently

as a 6'5 guy meself, I can report that can be considered heavy, even though guys with those stats look normal.

It's just deceiving, but if you are a 6'5 guy and your joint genetics are dogshit (like mine), you can have those problems.

It takes a few month for the joints and tendons to adapt, so you have to increase the distance/intensity very slow in the beginning

>americans

>I used to go straight up running, stretch afterwards and then run some more.

same for me, but the problem is your joints are cold and stiff and boom! you hit them with your full weight, with repeated impacts against (Isuppose) hard ground. The bike takes the load of your body weight while you loosen up and warmup, then once you start running your lower back/knees/ankles can absorb the load properly. Back injuries in big runners are very common because of this

also 5k on a bike will act a somewhat dynamic stretching, do static stretching after running only

Alright, Thanks for the tip, my man,

>6'5"
>tall dude

Sorry. I wish I wasn't born a manlet.

220 lbs is heavy regardless of height.

I'm 6'4'' 275 pounds. Can 1/2/3/4.
Run Correctly. Stay up on the balls of your feet and work on posture and speed. You don't "work up" to speed running, unless you're working on shaving seconds off of an 8 or lower minute run time. You want to keep your pace lower than an 8:30 minute mile, otherwise your body is going to be doing a bunch of stupid shit to accommodate your slower running speed, like landing on your heel or overextending your stride. Run "fast" and tire yourself out, then walk. Then run again.
Distance is your fucking enemy, but the battle you win is with form and posture.
It's no different than watching a 5'4 pajeet try to rep 235 on a bench and not go more than a quarter of the way down. Bad form accomplishes nothing.

My advice is don't be a mental midget with your cardio/running. Jog on grass its easier on your knees. If your going on pavement have it be sprints. Your knees will thank you. Also do squats and other type of leg work as they help prevent you from getting injured from sprinting hard, build up your strength don't be an hero.

You can run on soft surfaces or reduce your weekly milage and raise it by 5-10% a week tops.
Your form probably sucks as do your shoes.
Warm-up more and do stretches couple times a week, preferably after runs.
That being said, you don't have to rely on running(or long/medium distance running) to get your cardio in check. Biking, swimming, HIIT, ice skating or even dancing can be more fun hobbies and are easier on your joints.

So, running twice a week in a fast pace until tired and repeating for 2-3k and stretching and warming up before that sounds like a good idea? I just want to have a decent aerobic capacity.

elliptical machine my friend. No damage on knees at all.

Stretching before working out is a bad idea.
Maybe start with slow running for a month to condition yourself. Three 20 minute runs a week in moderate pace for two weeks, then change it to 25, and then 30 and you are probably good to go. You may now change you program to incorporate proper speed work or even replace it completely with track running.
Warm up before exercising and watch your form and pace because these are the things you must understand to run properly.

Thanks, bud.

>Former cross country runner here.
MANLET
A
N
L
E
T

Felt like something hit the back of my calf mid run today. Finished the run (2 miles more) with just a strain. Got home, took ibuprofen, and RICE. Is this just a strain or a tear? I can't really walk on it, but was able to finish the run.

what sort of injury?
knee or ankle? if so it is because you are wearing shoes and it is fucking up natural running form.
you should land on the balls of your feet. not your heel. Landing on your heal caused the shock to be transmitted through your leg as it tend to lock the knee back/straight leg. Landing on the balls of your feet leaves your ankle bent so tendons and muscles act as dampeners without putting that force through your joints.

Heel-striking is the devil

That's a meme, what he shouldn't do is overstride. Heel, midfoot, forefoot landing is personal.

I trained for and ran a marathon at 6'4" 210lbs in my mid 20s. I was running about 60-70 miles a week for months without a single problem. Get new shoes every 200 miles or so. Good shoes, like high-end Asics. Go to an actual running shop and have someone evaluate your stance, stride, etc. They can fit you with a shoe.

And don't listen to these faggots talking about landing on the ball of your foot. How the fuck do you even do that unnatural shit?

warm-up and stretch (dynamic stretch before and static stretch after)

as a tall brah with similar height and weight, I used to have this problem, but I found I was over-striding and that's what would put stupid pressure on my knees

we're gonna make it bruh

>amerilard

hahahahhaha

THE MANLETS REVENGE

>Get new shoes every 200 miles or so.
Jesus, shoe sellers must love you.

Run until you're sweating and then stretch.

This person is retarded and should be ignored.

Tall = frail. Every inch above average takes time off your life.
Sorry lanklets but there's a reason average height is 5'9.

stop running.. take up cycling, its easier on the knees

Read "bien to run". It's a tall dude who searches out the answer of op's posr.

Tl;Dr = go minimalist/zero drop. It's not for everyone but it fixed everything for me (and made my squats better too)

Born to run*

Been minimalist for like 8 years now btw op. Feel free to ask any questions. I run in vibrams five fingers but my everyday shoes are also zero drop. I eventually made it part of my lifestyle and never have knee problems or, roll my ankle, or any of that stuff.

Tell that heel striking is bad to elite marathoners.

What a bunch of bullshit. lol
If this dude was 5'3'', he'd still be insecure.

Can't I run in a "natural" way with normal shoes?

Will look into it. Thank you.

How long are the elites in the spotlight? Protip: not very long.

How much of the book did you actually read? Most people say it's about minimalist. No one focuses on the fact they are constantly running and had an excellent diet despite their nightly parties in which they drank in moderation.

Try running barefoot and say that it is a meme. The reason why heelstriking does not lead to more injuries is because the fact that shoe manufacturers put lots of badding in the heels to help absorb shock. This is why I run minimalist at least once a week: it teaches you to get out of thst habit. If you heel strike while barefoot or wearing minimalist, you'll be in a world of pain within a few steps.

>falling for the shoe hebrew
good goy

This. Focus on single leg versions with low weights, high reps once a week.

Get the book tactical barbell II. It lays out the benefits of liss running at an uncomfortably slow pace. I hated running and would always injure myself until I strapped on a heart rate monitor and slowed down