Why does Veeky Forums shit on CrossFit so much?

Why does Veeky Forums shit on CrossFit so much?

Are there any positive points? Stuck on my routine and want to it change up.

It's better than sitting on your ass, I suppose.

Pro:
Good stabilizer workout.
Kinda makes you do cardio.

Con:
It's shit for anything else +snap city

It's extreme BS. Unsafe, stupid rep ranges, idiotic culture

It's dangerous. Very technical Olympic Lifts, but they don't focus on good form at all. Shout stupid slogans at you so you over exert yourself. Targetted at soccer moms with no previous lifting history. Start you with weight way too high. Most of it ends up just being swinging super heavy weights around without actually doing any proper lifting to make yourself feel good about your shit life.

Many times the instructors have no regard for form and the workouts can be memed up.

Blog time, my gf has gained maybe 10-15 extra lbs over the years and i used to casually recommend she get serious about fitness but she wouldn't listen to me. She recently discovered a crossfit-type gym in our neighborhood (not actually called crossfit but from what i can tell they do the same shit), and she loves it. After 3-4 months her body already looks noticeably better and i can tell she is gonna stick with this for a long time and keep improving.

So imo it's not as good as traditional lifting+cardio but it's way better than nothing and girls seem to gravitate toward it, probably due to the group aspect of it and the fact that there is an instructor telling you what to do.

only pro i can come up with off the top of my head is it improves cardio and it is better than being sedentary.

>but it's way better than nothing and girls seem to gravitate toward it, probably due to the group aspect of it and the fact that there is an instructor telling you what to do.

as well as the fact that the "workouts" never get boring and are always hard because the instructors just throw 30 extra reps in when they get better, it makes it easier for girls to keep their attention and stick with it

Currently train in a Crossfit gym because it has good equipment and the sales rep waived the lolworthily high joining fee and gave me a better rate on dues when they realised I wasn't falling for the bullshit. Must've either been desperate for the sale or it's official policy to just shill for more money unless you show resistance.

It depends very much on the individual gym. Some crossfit gyms have coaches who know what they're doing, and they're excellent resources. The vast majority are overpriced memepits whose 'WOD' nonsense ranges from useless to dangerous. Some of the more stupid things I've seen here include doing push ups as super sets to squats, IN THE SQUAT RACKS with other people moving around loaded barbells directly above them.

The culture surrounding it is utterly retarded, as well. 'Yeah, we train like ATHLETES' they yell as literally no athletes train that way. 'Dude I'm pretty strong I can squat 80kg for 15 reps.' 'This is FUNCTIONAL training for REAL WORLD SITUATIONS!' Jesus Christ. I appreciate it's probably more fun for people who aren't turbo-autists who can do the same 6 lifts for years, but good god is it infuriating.

Someone post it. The WEBM.

She's probably cheating on you with her trainer and that's why "she loves it so much".

Sorry bro

Wtf is that guy at 0:35 even doing?

>good stabilizer workout

what does that even mean?

lmao saved

that's pretty impressive tbqhf(to be quite honest senpai)

i'm pretty sure this is just a weightlifter doing a joke complex for instagram

Just to counterbalance the very valid and common criticisms, I will say two good things about CrossFit:
1. The gym culture is very conducive to adopting a fitness lifestyle. It is a club / cult, but that works for many people.
2. Most people in the gym train with laughable intensity. Part of the aforementioned culture is a dedication to pushing really fucking hard in workouts. Most people could probably use more of that.
That being said, hi rep Olympic lifting is absolutely moronic and unnecessary, and the cult like atmosphere is hard for people to leave in the gym - crossfitters (new ones especially) become like vegans, never shutting the fuck up about it, and the ones who have done it a long time almost always end up phasing out the WOD in favor of training for more specific personal goals. So YMMV.

Crossfit is a brand with great franchising opportunities, it's not a great workout program.
They took basic metabolic conditioning and crosstraining protocols, none of which they invented, and then they stuck them in a blender and claimed it was a revolution.
The main site WOD is absolute garbage.
Because you don't need any credentials to open a gym besides their absurdly overpriced qualifications, anyone can do it.
So some of their gyms are run by people who actually know what they're doing and just want that sweet crossfit dosh, but most are run by idiots who have no expertise in training or programming beyond crossfit.
They used to claim crossfit was the ideal training program for any sport and crossfit athletes would beat all comeres. Obviously that never happened and all pro athletes and militaries that tried to use it failed horribly, so the made the crossfit games where they can have a nice little hugbox and congratulate themselves on "teh fittest in the teh wurld"

WHY? Why would they make them keep going? It's pretty fucking obvious that no one is making it over these things, everyone is hurting themselves. Jesus christ this is stupid.

ego

The positives of crossfit:
>made barbell training more appealing to the general public
>might get some people to start exercising

The negatives of crossfit:
>god awful random programming that makes no sense
>branded as "training" when it's really just exercise
>the way they teach the squat and deadlift are flat out incorrect
>all it takes to become a certified coach is an overpriced weekend seminar and 5 hours of on-the-platform coaching
>high reps of complex, power exercises after doing box jumps and burpees or whatever is a recipe for technique breakdown
>untrained individuals doing complex, skill based movements in a competitive group setting taught by inexperienced, unqualified coaches is why crossfit has a high rate of injury
>kipping fucking pullups
>shitty legal team that goes after people who criticize it online
>attracts dykes with ugly thigh tattoos and skinny numale hipsters
did I miss anything?