/fat/ - The Nightmare After Christmas Edition

Who is /fat/ for?
For /fat/fucks who want to better themselves through meaningful hard-work, strategy, and dedication

>This is not QTDDTOT, ask questions about fat loss but use that thread for general questions

>Calculate your Body Fat Percentage
fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy (Gonna need waist/neck measurements)

>Calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)
sailrabbit.com/bmr/ (complex)
fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html (simple)

>Plan your weight loss week by week
losertown.org/eats/cal.php

>Track your calories and macros with MyFitnessPal, works best on smartphones
myfitnesspal.com

>Join the /fat discord
discord.gg/VkBqy5p

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript
bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Confess

new to Veeky Forums and /fat/
I put my weight and the measurements into the body fat percentage calculator and the lean mass bit seems extremely wrong.

>binged a little yesterday, are several cookies but nothing too extreme
>scale says I lost two pounds
How and why?

>478lb 5'11" manlet
Dont even think about bf% until you're under 190lbs fatass
ForkPutdownsxF

What I need to put down is the soda. I eat a cup of rice and a chicken breast a day. Also need to get more exercise.

>18%
Using fat calipers tells me 23-25%

[thinks]

Water retention
Had food/shit still in you when you weighed last time

>tfw consumed ~2500 kcal worth of alcohol last night

>tfw you made it

Different methods have different outcomes. Calipers are probably more accurate because it's based more on how you look.

Well guys, I reached my goal this year. Started at 252lbs and cut down to 183lbs.

I look so much better but unfortunately I'm still not as lean as I would have liked. Have done some lifting and I'm 5'11 with a fairly big frame so I'm hoping I can cut another 10lbs fairly quickly and be ready for a lean bulk.

Considering trying out meme fasting although I don't really have loose skin it can't hurt and it would let me start my gains quicker.

You guys hit your 2017 goals?

Follow the sticky. Just because you're fucking gigantic doesn't mean doesn't mean you can disregard it. Just focus more on low impact cardio and whatever you do don't eat under 1700 calories at your weight, you're just asking for trouble.

Goals

Soda doesn't get you that fat so you're deluding yourself

>the lean mass seems extremely wrong.
I mean, what did you THINK you were using to stack 478lbs of living tissue in a 5'11" tall pile and have it not fall apart?

Some people go through more than 1 of these a day at 840cals a pop. Even if he's delusional, cutting out soda is a very good first baby step.

Not by itself, but the sugar/artificial sweetness can cause sugar cravings

Neither of you are wrong but user is right that simply hanging on to something like soda is not a sign of acceptance of reality for someone that big. Change probably has to come from a much more root level.

Nah, I fell off the wagon on mine. Recommitted now that the stress of grad school is over and I got antidepressants.

Goal is now 180 by May 31 (from 220 now)

Did a great job getting down to 255 and now I've gained 20 lbs in 2 months. I want to kill myself

>can bench 245 easily but still look like shit because I'm fat
SOMEBODY HELP ME
AHHHHHHHHH

what should I do from here to cut weight? I've been counting calories for about 1800 calories a day a long with a very active full time job and lifting and haven't lost anything after hitting roughly 188

Get back on the train instead of in front of one. You KNOW calorie deficit + time leads to results. Everybody here is hoping the best for you.

You did it once before, you can do it again. Now you know how important it is to keep going

I’ve read something about artificial sweeteners causing insulin spikes as well and that can become a problem if there’s actually no sugar being consumed. Google it

Guys is fasting for a few days to "reset" my fucked appetite a good idea?

I've had positive experience with it. There were even a couple times on deployment I eat under 500 kcal for whatever reason and the next day I had trouble eating at all the next day. There's a decent amount of science behind hormone response and stomach shrinkage so if it works for you, great!

How many calories are you guys burning at the gym on average to maintain a caloric deficit? I eat 1500cal and burn ~350cal at the gym doing cardio alone. I feel like I'm not at a caloric deficit should i do more cardio?

Sure why not

How are you making that assessment? Calories tracked on the machine?

Regardless, you shouldn't even worry about calories burned in a workout. If you're not losing weight at the rate you want, either increase the duration/intensity of your cardio or eat less. That's the only accurate way to make that judgement.

can confirm on this from 1st hand experience. past few weeks ive been feeling like shit, barely peaked over 450 cals on a food day. xmas day came where i planned to hit maintenance cals and i couldnt even finish 1/2 my plate. the shrinkage is real

How tall? Maybe recalculate your intake? Are you logging? If so, you sure you're logging everything to the gram? Could also be a plateau where the only thing that will shake it is to eat at a surplus for one day to activate the woosh shit.

calorie deficit, I still eat fast food and cookies and still lose weight
As sport I walk and dance
I just have to lose 10-15 kgs, it will take 6 months

Yeah, but now I look like shit and feel like shit and am a weak undisciplined failure. That set me back 6 months. I'm such a piece of shit

Thanks for the input, I'm thinking of fasting for 24 hours today just to get it going.
Then in January, a 5 day fast, followed up by warrior's diet indefinitely.

Exercise is a nice bonus, but weight loss is 90% diet.

Calculated on the machine and added onto the my fitness pal app. But the most important thing is CICO, right? I've seen progress but I guess I'm under/over counting.

Don't trust machines. There's so much variance between formulas and very rarely it's possible for a machine to factor in VO2 max, weight, hormonal response, etc. You said it yourself, just keep being honest with your tracking and your weigh ins and adjust as needed on a monthly basis.

My parents house is a super fucking boring place to be and I'm stuck here another week. I've been eating like 3000-3500kcal a day, which is double what I'd be eating back at base where I have a good PC and a homegym to distract me.

20lbs at your size is not a six month setback. You're still in the weight class where "fatty gains" in 6 months could be at least 50lbs. Let the zeitgeist of the new year put you back on the horse.

Add some cardio my man, do 1-2 compound exercises then straight to the treadmill for 30 mins

ketofag here
How does my day look?

Excuse the processed meat, my food scale broke (thankfully santa has one coming tomorrow)

>zero veg
>mfw
Eat some fiber bruv. And I hope you're taking a multi or something.

again, my food scale autism

>can stop at one square

damn nigga you a paragon of restraint

oh and thanks for reminding me, i need to actually scan a couple of things for myfit that i wrote in when i wasnt home. it didn't include the fiber for some reason. i should be closer to 10 grams

You don't understand user. I had a dream about working in a doughnut store, making them. and when i was offered some by my boss i said "no thank you, i'm on a diet"

I wont even cheat in my dreams

yo what program/website/app is this?

are those your legs bro? hot

myfitnesspal

the downside is it wont track net carbs so you have to manually keep up on that

>tfw ate a ton 2 days ago
>tfw went up like 3kg
>tfw it still didnt go down again
b-brehs i need help

Give it time. Weighing yourself daily is a free ticket to Anxietyville Knock it back to every week or so around the same time/body conditions.

This has been a horrible holiday season for me. I don’t even want to get one a scale when I get back home as I’ve likely gained ten fucking pounds. I don’t wanna lose my abs bros

its not fair i was just below 200lbs and now i lost my entire week because of this, i just want to go back

Stop eating

user I'm about to blow your mind.
github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

>3kg
>week
h-how?

5 fucking kilos over Christmas. Granted I measured myself late at nigjt but still
FIVE in a coupple of days. 80 to 85 btw

just stop eating and work out lol

>How does my day look?
Great, if you are aiming at growing the largest hemorrhoids imaginable. Jesus, add some fiber.

Another keto fag inbound. R8 my pl8s /fat/. Also disregard the targets, MFP gets weird when you integrate a fitbit.
Should I just have a scoop of protein in water to finish the night or should I make up the protein tomorrow?

Ahh fuck I just noticed my fiber for the day despite all the shit I was talking. Just gonna finish the day with some nuts.

Is keto a meme or is it real?

Can I lift on more days if I choose different lifts, and don't use a really heavy weight. I am waiting for more plates in the mail, and at the moment I'm only lifting like 25kg (because I'm weak and on a cut). Or should I actually be sticking to 3 days a week?

Works for me and plenty others, although I do it more so that I don't fuck up eating carbs and sugar, not because of all the metabolic science.

Any good reading on it you'd recommend?

bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet/
/r/keto has a decent FAQ/sticky if you ignore all the user inputted shit. I wish I had the /keto/ general saved.

this is your body responding to your extreme ingestion and fat production

I'm aware of that. It's all the garbage I ate up until a couple years ago on top of that.

Thanks user. Been trying to meal plan but getting there with carbs has been tricky. This may make it easier

It's like Donald Trump: Both

NIGGA
Lower your protein!!!!

Keto is best when your fat is higher than protein
If you're cutting, that's even more important because your body converts extra protein chains into glucose
it's called gluconeogenesis

already feeling that post holiday depression boys, have to play catchup the rest of the month because of christmas dinner

thanks user
way more comfy

I'm obese so I'm not overly concerned with fat intake. I lift and do HIIT, and I pee-to stick test almost every other day, so I know I'm still in ketosis despite the protein intake. Like I said, don't look at the goals, MFP is too frustrating to correct and I actually like wearing the Fitbit.

stick test isn't accurate user, the only way to know is to get your blood checked.
did you have any keto flu symptoms?

Yeah 2 weeks ago when I started. My energy levels are super consistent, I'm sleeping better, and all the other symptomatic stuff like smelly piss and meat breath. I don't really give a fuck about the metabolic stuff anyway. I feel great, I'm losing weight, and my weight is going down exactly the way I want it to.

Do you realize why fasting is retarded now? If you lack the discipline to stick to it, you will only make it worse. Your body will force you to compensate for the period of starvation and you will inevitably overeat.

>around 340lbs
>campus is closed down
>have to stay with my folks
>can't control myself at their place
>so full that eating more hurts but i do it anyway
>campus opens again next friday
fuck why can't next friday come any sooner i need to get back to fasting
longest i can fast so far is 4 days, the only thing keeping me going is the thought that when i move back up there i'll be able to go longer
reeee give time machine

yeah this happens every time but also every time i manage to do it a little longer
my hope is to eventually make it long enough to outlast my own capacity to feel appetite

Give it another month.
When you're Keto Adapted, your body stops producing acetoacetate which cause it and smelly urine and breath go away

That said: Keto Sticks wont read because they look for acetoacetate, meaning blood tests only will work

Just stop eating

You guys are fucking up so hard. Fasting is supposed to be a short term hormonal correction, not a complete meal plan.
Yeah last time I went full Keto was about 3 years ago and I had a good 5 month run and I remember. At some point when I hit goal weight I'm going to read up on how to reintroduce carbs so I can hit maintenance easier/cheaper and eat socially again.

What's better with whey protein power, Milk or Water

Why do you WANT that?
It doesn't matter how long you can go, when you break it off you'll gain back more than you lost. You seem to understand this, so if your plan is to make it to the point where you can just never break it off, knowing full well that in spite of your current enormity you WILL eventually literally starve to death (albeit in about 3 years), then the kind of help you need extends beyond the nutritional.

Taste? Milk. Hitting your macros? Probably water. You can give >almond milk a try.

>Fasting is supposed to be a short term hormonal correction, not a complete meal plan.
haha yeah
if you're not a PIG
>"can't wait until next friday so i can regain the self control to stop eating"
>"uh lol just stop eating"
glad we're in agreement ?? ?

>if you're not a PIG
You need mental help user. Fasting isn't gonna help your fucked up brain chemistry.

You aren't. You are saying you can't control yourself around food in your childhood home.

He's saying you can, you just choose not to.

If you really want to stop eating the way you are, you could just stop at any time. You don't, man.

Rice isn't very filling for the calorie source.
If that 1 cup is measuring uncooked rice then you're fucked, if it's cooked then carry on.
If you have trouble with satiety cut out any foods that don't fill you up.
Green vegetables are more filling and have more nutrition for their calories, eat 200 calories of broccoli or any leafy green and tell me you want to pick up anther bowl.

And like the other user said, don't worry about body fat percentage or anything just yet, it's just overwhelming and needless information.
Get to at least 250 and see from there, godspeed user.

Also don't be afraid of replacing that soda with diet soda, still not great but it's zero calories and will fulfill the craving.

What did you go to gradschool for?
Hopefully starting a phd this upcoming fall, I'm used to being at school from 8 am to 9 pm so I don't really know how much more gradschool can shit on me but I expect it to find a way.

Thinking about getting some Stevia to sweeten coffee/coco powder.

Is it worth it? I haven't had coco in about a year and I really miss it.

My mom always gets me a shit ton of junk food for Xmas and I'm probably going to gain a bunch of weight. I think I'm gonna throw out half of it, but some of it (like handmade chocolates from the best local place) I can't part with. Oh well, I've got the rest of the year to deal with what I put on.

This.

Question.
Has there been a massive influx of severely eating disordered people lately?
Or is it just the same mentally ill self loathing landwhale every time, trying and failing to speak the language of sane people over and over again, and then probably slamming hir fists on the keyboard in pure rage and proceeding to deliberately puke up ten pounds of bloody mac & cheese into an especially sturdy and disgusting toilet?

I think its just people seem to go a bit nuts during the holidays honestly. Hopefully it'll clear up after New Years to give way to a influx of New Year resolution people who have no idea what the fuck they are talking about shitting up the place for a few weeks until they give up.

I'm gonna go out and buy dumbbells tomorrow. Only 20 lb ones because I'm a weakboi. Anyone have a good routine that hits the major muscle groups? I've just been doing calisthenics because I'm poor. Short routine so not many gains, mostly been focusing on diet, but I want to get some equipment to start looking putting on muscle.

Any other cheap equipment reccs that are a must? I don't want a gym membership.
Joe Rogan says Stevia is okay, but I'm hesitant to recommend refined sugar-ish products. I know it's a supposedly natural sweetener, but hey, so is cane sugar. The "natural" argument isn't really a good metric because pretty much everything is natural. Putting sugar/milk into coffee is for girls and it's pointless calories. Drink black coffee long enough and you'll learn to like it.
>Has there been a massive influx of severely eating disordered people lately?
Yes. I think people see something that works and then latch onto an extreme. I started intermittent fasting, and I've definitely thought, "Man I could do this for like 2 weeks easy and lose a bunch of weight." It probably works, but it's a crutch in the long run. Long-term discipline is better than cramming something "healthy" into a few weeks.

The "natural" part of Stevia isn't what should appeal to you, the "artificial sweeteners are some of the most well researched compounds in history and the ones on the market now have no real evidence showing them to be cancerous or overall unhealthy" part is what should be what appeals to you.
Thinking aspartame or stevia is bad is a meme propagated by moms and people who don't know how to read scientific studies, any of the sweeteners that have actually been linked to anything, like dulcin, is simply not used anymore.

I think his point was there are still macro nutritional aspects that aren't that good. Sure, eating them is fine, but nothing is better than just not eating sugar.

I think you'd be better off just not having any sweeteners in your coffee at all. If you have to put something in your coffee to make it drinkable, should you be drinking coffee?

Arguably coffee plus something else is a unique drink.
You get caffeine, it's probably cheap, and you get a taste that is unique.
Personally I drink it plain but there is no altruism behind it, should people not eat meat if they have to put salt on it?

I don't mind some bitterness, but if a gram or two of stevia makes a difference that might be worth my while.

I shouldn't have even mentioned coffee, I guess. I'm more interested in making hot coco palatable with little in the way of milk or sugar.

I know moderation is frowned upon here, but I've found it essential to my success. I'd prefer being able to drink some hot drinks in the cold of winter as long as they have low glycemic impact.