A failed fitness experiment

Last year I started thinking about ways to please my family. In my head getting very serious about sports would make them proud.

I quitted the gym and started training with sprinters. My goals was to be able to compete in 5K's and 200 m. I worked really hard, almost always chasing injury. So I was being dedicated, working hard and eating well, what could possibly go wrong?

My family was always trying to make me stop and discouraging me. I had to fucking compete in a 5K without their knowledge to avoid additional drama. When my main event approached I had 4 people saying I should give up.

WTF? Thought our society put sports on a pedestal. In my head getting medals (or attaining above average physical performance) had the same prestige as getting a lot of money or fame.

Why even care what other people think? Be your best self and the rest can take care of itself.

Because I was specially looking for ways to make my family proud. I know it is a bad idea to try to please other people but I was interested in learning about this.
Next year I'm gonna keep training and trying to compete but I will tell them as little as possible instead of actually promoting the sport to them.

Get a girlfriend and your parents might give you an ounce of attention you desire.

why did you quit the gym? training for 5k isnt intense enough that you have to be super dedicated let alone risk injury??? maybe your family are disappointed because youre a gde retard ...

Yeah, I know. I could invest 100% of my time chasing money or a girl and they would be proud but my idea was doing something I enjoy and also making them proud. I thought sports was a surefire way but I was wrong (still trying to understand how).

You make your family proud by being your best you, as in doing what you love most and with passion. Not by doing what you think they would like to see you doing.

Time and money. Last year I trained 3 hours a day, 6 day a week. Used gym money to pay for swimming classes. I thought the pool cardio would help me more than lifting.

>isnt intense enough
Then maybe I have shitty bones. I generally did 10x200 m in the morning and 5-8 km in the evening. This was enough to almost get me injured. I had to push through pain here and there during the year.

Sounds like you're withholding information. Are you fat? Do you have a history of beginning new things and giving them up? A 5k run isn't strenuous enough to warrant giving up the gym. If you aren't in high school, getting a job or going to community college and getting good grades will make them prouder that running a shitty 5k

Then give me examples on how to promote your passions. I thought getting a medal was a better way to show my dedication and investment than just coming to them and saying "I train 3 hours a day for x modality", like the "show, don't tell" advice they give to writers.

I get the feeling youre shit at prioritising. neither running nor lifting require 3 hours a day/ 6 days a week to improve. you also said here that you would need 100% of your time to get a gf. maybe your parents are disappointed in you because you only do one thing at a time and dont have a very well rounded life

I'm 130 lbs. I'm getting good grades at college but I knew that I could keep the grades AND try to get a 5K medal. Couldn't get a job due to time restrains but I could train for a 5K. I know that there was better ways to make them proud but since I have restrains because of college I tried going for the second best option.

>Then maybe I have shitty bones. I generally did 10x200 m in the morning and 5-8 km in the evening. This was enough to almost get me injured. I had to push through pain here and there during the year.

is this a meme

Look user the truth is your training sounds like obsession and your family id probably concerned and will remain concerned until you either actually win or give up.

>only do one thing at time
Yes, thats the only way I know to do things well.

>3 hours a day, 6 days a week
Now I'm confused. I was just following the schedule that the spriting team follows. It is generally 10x200 or 400 m with warm up. This takes 2 hours in the morning. Then you go for a 5k or long run in the evening that takes another hour. They do this 6 days a week.

As a said the decision of giving up gym was to reduce load on upper body. I was going for 4-6 hours a week in the pool to get extra cardio.

>obsession
Yeah, maybe. It seems like obsession to them because they dont know the amount of work needed to have a chance to win.
So I need to train all the time but try to portrait like I'm just playing and taking it easy?

They're concerned with your mental and physical health because they think you're obsessed and going to hurt yourself. So you either have to prove your work was necessary and win already or don't tell them what you're doing.

wew lad. you should be paying me because Ive identified and have solutions for the biggest problem in your life

youre never going to make your parents happy doing this t b h. your 2 choices are:

>keep doing what youre doing and fuck what your family think
do this if you genuinely love running and making your family happy is less important and/or you have potential to be competitive (I mean scholarships and national/olympic tier) OR

>realise your a hobbyist and train like one
do this if the only reason your even running is for your family and you dont really care about it anyway and/or youre a gde who will never be elite

either way you need to fix your inability to do 2 thibngs at once because its going to fuck you up in other areas of your life...

I'm gonna try to keep doing what I'm doing and also find another way to make my family proud. My next attempt will be doing big projects at college.

>do 2 things at once
They teached us that it is better to do one good thing at once than two half assed things at the same time.

>I'm gonna try to keep doing what I'm doing and also find another way to make my family proud. My next attempt will be doing big projects at college
hope it works out. what sre your best times/comp placings btw. out of curiosity

>They teached us that it is better to do one good thing at once than two half assed things at the same time
who told you that? thats not how the world works lad. youve got to be atleast decent at a thousand different things to be a successful adut

You're gonna have to change that mentality if you want to succeed in life user