[Deadlift] Rounded upper back

Im 6'5 and last Friday i was deadlifting 435 for 4x4, and this guy who is struggling with 225 tells me i'm not doing it right, and a other manlet trainer who doesn't have certification also called me out on it.

Should i listen to these people? even though 99% of Youtube and other places on the internet state that it just isn't preferable but not bad, and i personally want to believe that because i never have back pain, i always feel my hamstrings the next day and i don't hitch or front raise while doing reps.

So what to do Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dz_H6iFaE58
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's fine. Tons of powerlifters do it. Don't worry.

listen to your body more than you listen to others.

I'd recheck my form just in case

Jealous coping manlets. As long as you don't hurt your back, and your lower back is in neutral, it's totally fine.

Will do thanks lads.

I'd only listen to other Powerlifters personally

Upper back rounding isn't that bad as long as it's only the upper back, and you're bracing properly as well as keeping the bar close to you in order not to put too much stress on the lower back

T. 6'5 guy who has pulled 750 for 2 reps

No excuse for you to round upper back youtube.com/watch?v=dz_H6iFaE58

Thoracic rounding is, while not ideal, much safer than lumbar rounding.

Dont listen to them, rounded upper is completely fine.

mirin, how long you been training for? 700 is my lifetime goal

Due to the direction of the pull and stiffness of the braced spine, most of that force is going to be compressive at the spine rather than shearing in a slight rounded thoracic position. Where as in rounded lumbar position, the same force will be shear more and compress less. Of course leverages play a part in this and while Eddie can do it not all of us can.

Wank?

Cheers lad, about 4 years

Yeah senpai

What if my lower/mid back isn't neutral but I still feel fine and brace well etc. Fucking long femurs

Just because Mike T deadlifts with a straight back doesn't mean that everyone will be strongest in that position

He's more of an exception, you'd see pretty much every conventional puller that's stronger than him pulls with a fair degree of rounding

Well, I think it's generally fine unless you have a potential disc issue in your upper back. Those can be unexpected, especially as you get into your 30s and older, so not having issues in the past isn't necessarily proof that it isn't a problem. You could end up blowing out a disc issue that would have been manageable otherwise.

THERE ARE MANY FACETS TO THIS
First of all, the spine has a natural slight thoracic rounding and for very large athletes like strongmen it will APPEAR that they have large rounding when in reality they just have a hell of a lot of upper back mass which follows the contours of the spine and makes it appear is if they are rounding a lot when in reality their back is flat/neutral.
Second of all, different bodies are suited to it and others are not so find what works for your specific shape and leverages.
Thirdly, although it seems simple to do, upper back rounding is considered an advanced technique by people like Pavel because a lot of people see great deadlifters like KK and try to emulate him and get it wrong and relax their whole upper back and end up having that cat shit look and end up breaking their spines. If you want to do it look up a lot of videos and practice to get it right. Andy Bolton explains in his videos his upper back is rounded but still has everything tight and actually his form is one of the best. It's a lot easier and safer to just go flat unless you're willing to invest time and effort into learning.
Be safe OP, don't kill yourself trying to cut a few inches off your ROM. Hope this helps.

Powerlifters do what ever it takes in a meet, that includes rounding their back. Don't use them as a reference.

Thank you for this, user

How did you know the trainer had no certification? And why do you care what the manlet struggling with 225lb says?

Why do you care at all?

Why post this?

Stop posting and just do your deadlifts, dipshit.