Motivation and overcoming it

This shit is on the front page of reddit and it makes me furious. People are latching onto the idea that they are not lazy, just demotivated. They blame their problems on a state they are in, rather than the actions they choose.

At any rate, it brings up a good point. Can motivation be "solved"? How do you motivate yourself to action? if not, what are ways you bypass motivation to avoid laziness?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=motivation vs inspiration
huffingtonpost.com/natasha-dern/inspiration-vs-motivation_b_511485.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>no one's really lazy
kek

Motivation is a trap. Motivation is a temporary state powered by emotion. If you always base your actions on emotion, no matter what you are doing, there will come a day where you don't want to do it. Search for inspiration (a long term goal) and discipline.

This is complete gay cringe meme garbage. You fucking faggots are splitting hairs.
Motivation and inspiration are synonyms for eachother. And even if they werent you make ti sound as if the second you started saying one instead of the other a light switch would click in your mind. Fucking kill yourself.

You're retarded. Motivation and inspiration are nowhere close to synonyms. And the reason you don't know the difference is because you have neither.

Motivation
>the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.
>the general desire or willingness of someone to do something.
Synonyms
>Inspiration
Inspiration
>the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.
>the quality of being inspired, especially when evident in something.
Snyonyms
>Motivation

So are you gonna kill yourself right now or wait until later and do it in front of your faggot family?
Please respond to me with some cope bullshit so i can laugh at your dumbass

So basically the dictionary doesn't know the difference either.

it's kinda true though

ever try amphetamines? it makes you feel like doing boring shit

so the capacity to work hard is just a chemical, there's nothing special about it

>So basically the dictionary doesn't know the difference either.
Man I really feel bad for you. I cant imagine being so up my own ass then when presented with proof that im wrong as fuck I cope this fucking hard to protect my fragile ego.

Please stop lying and admit when you're wrong.

Motivation and inspiration are recognized synonyms.

So you're telling me that because the dictionary says they are synonyms, they mean exactly the same thing? You're telling me that motivation and inspiration are drawn from the same places? You're telling me inspiration and motivation last the same amount of time? You're telling me that you can lose inspiration in the span of a single week when something bad happens or because you got up one day and you didn't want to do it?
Good luck achieving anything in life.

I'm not wrong. Otherwise inspiration threads would be just as frequent and pathetic as motivation threads.

Can someone explain to me what type of autism this guy has exactly?
Seriously wtf is wrong with him? Was it his parents fault maybe?

Yeah OP pic is exactly wrong.
>Lazy
I cause my actions
>Demotivated
Something external causes my actions

Hmm I wonder which of these beliefs is conducive to improvement

He got smited with Aspergers in his current life because he assfucked his granddaughter in 128 A.D., Ancient Rome.

I wonder if he was motivated or inspired to do that?

motivation is a trap

discipline is what you need

Imagine a world where you choose to define words based on threads on a scandinavian sponge soaking forum as opposed to a dictionary

that's incredibly gay, even by motivation thread standards. almost like a mockery of the idea.

Actually they are etymologically different and there is a difference in usage.

Do you wear wolf shirts

I feel like you wear wolf shirts

Discipline is for suckers, too. “Muh hard work” is just a retelling of the labor theory of value.

And you need an understanding of value. Things aren’t valuable because you work hard. You work hard because things are valuable.

The word doesnt fucking matter. Again, you people are splitting hairs. Youre either going to do it or you arent. I dont care what meme word you use to define your reason.

Quality bait honestly
The disagreement stemmed from the guy disagreeing with motivation and inspiration being synonyms. They are. Synonym doesent mean the exact same fucking word that would be retarded it means they have very similar meanings.

motivation is bullshit, how many faggots have been motivated to do something tomorrow when they go to bed and wake up to another mediocre day

You need tangible specific objectives upon which to act.

"How to stop being lazy" is not tangible or specific.

What is it that you are not doing?

>This shit is on the front page of reddit
Ok? Fuck off.

the word does matter. words hold value and meaning and the way we use them in language and thought can have an impact.

laziness is a negative word in this context. Relaxing can be good when the time calls for it. When we relax, we don't usually call ourselves lazy. Exceptions being the concept of an intentional "lazy sunday" or what have you.
This post is talking about the difference between using the word "lazy" and "demotivated" in order to skirt responsibility. "i'm not being lazy, i'm simply demotivated! Next time, I'll have to solve my motivation" which is, i think, flawed.
demotivation is not a gate and motivation is not a key. Motivation is a tool that helps you achieve your goals.

if I can paint a picture: imagine a 5 mile stretch of road. There are 3 people looking down the stretch. The first one says "I have motivation (which is a bike), so i can do this 5 miles" and he rides off. The second one says "I do not have motivation, so I cannot do this five miles" and he sits there at the start. The third says "I do not have motivation either, but I can do this" and he runs off.
the lameness of the analogy aside, it fits the point. You can do things without motivation. At the very least you can try.
When you look at your role models, you need to recognize that they aren't beholden to motivation and neither should you be.

Eh, it's not so much blaming it on the state they're in as much as it's viewing that state from a different perspective.

Besides, does it really matter how someone figures their problems out? Someone might take this to heart and make a change. I think it's kinda worthless but whatever works for them.

>words hold value and meaning and the way we use them in language and thought can have an impact.
Are you a SJW?
>laziness
>relaxing
Those arent synonms but inspiration and matoivation are you fucking dumb faggot. Multiple dictionary socrces have been cited. Youre wrong take your loss and go cry.
>When you look at your role models, you need to recognize that they aren't beholden to motivation and neither should you be.
cringe overload dude seriously this is embarassing

people don't care about the dictionary definition of words, you tard. How old are you?

Clearly they do you moron cause everyone in the thread except for 2 autistc idiots 1 of whom is you agrees with me and is laughing at you. Youre wrong and your autism wont allow you to accept it, seriously consider taking a break from the internet all together

I was explained the difference between the two by very successful business owners, despite kind of already knowing it myself. But by all means continue being a brainlet that needs to find his motivation.

sounds like you've never talked to a human outside. People use "literally" all the time, despite its meaning being incorrect for their intention. The reason miscommunication is a thing is because people hold different values and definitions for the same words.

According to the dictionary they are similar, but the small variation in definition makes a world of difference.

>I was explained the difference between the two by very successful business owners
I was explained there is no difference between the by three very successful business owners. But by all means continue being a brainlet that doesnt realize he is an autist.
Use your brain and realize you just validated my position with this statement.

well actually i didn't start eating right until i got to /pol/ because it inspired me to me my best self

>it's not my fault!
It is. Motivation is a false god, Dedication is the path to success. Don't do it for a temporary reason, simply do it.

these people live like their life is a movie and they will get motivated and have some big montage of training whereby becoming successful.

it's grit, not motivation. lazy people are just people without any grit or ability to push against resistance

>i was just pretending

>I was explained there is no difference between the by three very successful business owners.
Even if you weren't mocking what I said, those business owners would not be successful.

lmgtfy.com/?q=motivation vs inspiration
lrn more fgt

>dedication
>motivation
>inspiration
Why not just try "responsibility"? You should be responsible about your body as much as you'd be towards anyone else's in your care, like your children. It's your responsibility to be presentable and your responsibility to be healthy enough that healthcare feels like a waste of money. It's your responsibility to make yourself feel good and nobody else's. If you don't take responsibility, you suffer the consequences.

You retard dictionaries have acknowledged the informal usage of literally. Just answer this, are motivation and inspiration synonyms? If you think they arent then youre a delusional faggot and will for sure amount to nothing if you cant admit fault on an user albanian aglet emporium

Are long term and short term synonyms?

this is why you never use a female therapist

If any girl tells me she has a "therapist", I ghost her on the spot.

>huffingtonpost.com/natasha-dern/inspiration-vs-motivation_b_511485.html
>huffpost
Well thats whose on your side faggot
Thats not what I said or implied you idiot

lol i want this shirt

So go read an article that isn't by huffpost

teespring
dot com
/shop/specific-lads-hentai#pid=345&cid=6363&sid=front

Youre missing the point you moron. Even if you have a few articles so what? Doesnt mean they arent wrong. It also doesnt mean those 2 faggots you fucked werent wrong either.
Let me explain this, just because someone is successful doesnt mean you need to listen to everything they say as gospel and that they can do no wrong. They could be a genius in one area and a complete fucking idiot in another.
For example, Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump. They have completely different opinions on things and yet both are insanely successful.
Point is I dont give a fuck what your 2 faggot friends have to say and you should realize that what they have to say is completely irrelevant.

That upset bitch on the right

These people are right on almost everything. They have wholesome lives, families, both time and money. So I think they have more credibility than you do.
You don't even have to read a damn article, just read the quotes in the images. And really think about it. Because you're wrong as fuck and it'll be too late if you blunder through life without realizing just how wrong you are.

>They have wholesome lives, families, both time and money.
And????
Clinton and Trump have both of those as well you fucking dumbass did you not udnerstand my point?
>Because you're wrong as fuck and it'll be too late if you blunder through life without realizing just how wrong you are.
This proves youre a fucking moron. You make it sound like if I accept your nonsense my eyes will all of a sudden open for the first time and my whole life will change. When in reality not a thing will change cause theyre just words. And only an autistic moron would think that way.

The words you use are less important than the things you do. If feeling lazy makes someone less productive and less happy, there's no reason to insist that they really are lazy.

if dubs everyone in this thread is a faggot

I think you're misinterpreting what they're talking about. The lazy/demotivated dichotomy comes from not really understanding why _you_ want or need to do a certain thing.

Take college, for instance. Tons of people go to college; tons of people (like myself) fail out their first time through, ostensibly for reasons echoing "laziness". "Aw shucks, if I just weren't lazy, I wouldn't have failed out!" In reality, most of those people weren't exactly "lazy" (in the sense of being temporarily disinclined to do an activity) but lacked a real drive to do well.

To fix it, you have to sit down and look at your goals in life. Do I want to go college (or be fit; or learn topic X)? OK, life/parents/society do or don't want me to, but what will _I_ actually get from doing this thing? Where do I want to be in five years time? Ten years? Is college (or fitness, etc.) necessary to get there? If so, time to stop fucking around; do the damn thing. If not, then stop trying to do the activity.

If you still encounter resistance, try to note your progress and try to gauge whether that progress has been worth it, both in the short term and potentially in the long term. Fitness is a good case, because if you encounter resistance after a couple of months, you'll usually have some initial muscle gains and weight loss that give some encouragement.

Keep in mind, too, that you *will* change over time. You might want different things in the future. So, for things you give up now, you might not forego them for eternity; and for things that make you feel lazy in the future, you might have just outgrown it (e.g. not playing your Steam games may be less depression/laziness and more outgrowing your old gaming habits).

I was “demotivated” this entire semester. What motivated me to start getting fit? And lead me to this board? Failure. That’s why I’m here. Because I failed with a girl.

this is true though, im obviously not lazy since i can commit to training 2 hours a day 5x a week but as soon as i have to do something im not emotionally invested in i procrastinate

motivation is a meme

They've achieved everything a good person should want out of life and therefore you better fucking take their advice or you're actually a retard. And no, neither Trump nor Clinton have all of those. Trump much closer than Clinton, but because he's the president, he doesn't have all the time in the world to do whatever he wants.

Your eyes will open because the only thing separating the poor from the rich is mindset and knowledge. One important piece of knowledge being that everything significant you could achieve will be done through discipline and inspiration. You will lose motivation. 150% guaranteed. You need to be internally inspired by a cause greater than yourself, and not pushed along by a physical external factor that is fueled by your emotion.

kek

Fuck motivation, get disciplined. Even the pros (maybe especially the pros) aren't motivated every day or for more than one work out a day or for every chicken breast and sweet potato. They're disciplined. Stop pretending you'll see enough motivational memes or watch enough motivational videos and have a breakthrough. Just do it.

Ya totally, do you study the blade as well?

Motivation and inspiration are important to kick start your new regime. But what matters after that is maintaining some semblance of that original desire and being in constant pursuit of what your motivation/inspiration pushed you to do. Which is where discipline comes in. You need to keep yourself organized to achieve a goal. Especially a long term one. The problem is once it becomes another box to check off on your daily quota and not something you look forward to doing. Once that happens you might as well stop because you'll never truly want your goal or care to reach it.

tldr: get inspired/motivated and maintain your passion while being disciplined

Whatever,
I stopped going to the gym because I couldn't say no to a bunch of dependa whores asking for rides.

I kicked them out and can have 30 minutes of free weights and running before school.

Wish me luck brehs

>motivation is a meme
It's not, you nigger. My motivation to fuck young hot women mase me loose 19kg in 3 months. Bitches be miryn me first time in 10 years and I get lots of awsome anal sex.

with amphetamines, caffeine and exercise or strong negative incentives it can

All "discipline" really means is that you have a routine that you force yourself to stick to, because breaking the routine would be more painful than keeping it up

That's how motivation works. You need to know what it is you're doing - you need a routine.

But I do kind of agree user. It's the same with calling people smart instead of hardworking.
Smart is an inherent feature
Hardworking is something you have control over.
Similarly with lazy - people are lazy, if you're lazy you can't do nothing without it.
Demotivated is not the greatest of the words maybe just using "you're not hardworking" would be better.

Words can have similar meanings and be used interchangeably but the connotation is different. Motivation is your impetus or willingness. It says that you are the cause, the holder of beginning. Inspiration is something sparks inside you and is more external in origin. Connotations are gay to explain

Except none of that is true see

Shit has one definition.
You are shit
Someone is the shit
You arent shit
(Essentially what is connotation faggot)

>Someone is the shit
>You arent shit
Thats slang not connotation faggot, urban dictionary definitions dont count you virgin

This ticks me off so much.
I know the difference between me having a desire to do something but lacking the enegy and will power to do it, and literally just locking myself into my room with 2 boxes of pizza and a large coke in a week-day.

Betting 10 bucks this therapist is a newbie millenal bitch.

>They blame their problems on a state they are in, rather than the actions they choose.
But it's the exact opposite? 'Lazy' suggests that this trait is an innate part of you, 'demotivated' is a problem to solve. The cap explains this pretty clearly. Obviously we don't all have to eradicate 'lazy' from our vocabulary, but for people who can't shame themselves into getting off their ass, shifting gears like this can potentially be a useful tool for them to use on themselves. It's not about you, ffs.
And yeah, it can also be a shitbag crutch in the wrong hands, when someone is just genuinely lazy and doesn't give a fuck, and just sits back to say "eh, I can't do anything until something motivates me." But for someone who does want to change but just doesn't believe in their ability to do so, framing it this way can do the opposite, by removing themselves from the issue. Both people are externalising the problem. One is making it an external source's fault, the other is just getting out of their own way.

All that said, while I relate to the mindset of "I'm not a fit person, I can't do fit person things, I should just accept that I suck," I never personally found motivation to be a useful tool. I just had to cultivate discipline, to separate lifting from any personal goals and hopes that I struggled to believe in and instead just tell myself "on these days, you do this. End of discussion." Then a few months later, without wasting any time examining myself for changes or feeling like a fool etc, suddenly I found myself looking pretty good and feeling fucking great.

user is retarded for saying they're not synonyms, but being synonyms doesn't mean they don't differentiate in subtleties and colloquial context. Look up any word on Thesaurus.com and click through random synonyms about a dozen times, see where you end up. Hint: not on a remotely similar word.

>muh slippery slope
Great but im not doing that so your point meaningless.

>Lazy
I am my faults
>Demotivated
My faults are fleeting and malleable

It's all about perspective.

And to work hard for things that are valuable, you need discipline. What's the problem?
I agree that cultivating discipline is a fools errand if you don't value the thing you're attempting to work towards, which is the root of why so many people fail to make it. But that doesn't mean discipline isn't important, just that it's only half of the equation. Plenty of people completely ignore the things they supposedly value because they're just too lazy and resigned to go for it.

>Are you a SJW?
SJWs didn't invent semantics.
Also, semantics aren't always bad or irrelevant.
Man, the internet really does ruin everything.

Fuck yeah, that's the one!
It implies value, it demands action, it disregards external factors, it's got it all.

When I'm demotivated, I know it. I literally lack the motivation to do the task. I have reasons in my head why I don't want to do it anymore/feel like I can't do it today.

When I'm lazy I barely realize. I just don't do the task "yet" until it's too late to do it, or do it half-assed. This is purely from being either mentally or physically tired.

Two very different things... Of course it's good to know the difference. But most of the time when you don't get around to doing shit you want to do, it's due to laziness.. Not demotivation.

> thinking they aren't

imagine being so delusional.

>reddit
Theres your problem

Regardless of motivation, discipline, etc. you should always strive to make the best decisions possible. Lazy people make poor decisions, it's as simple as that. Lazy people & people who "lack motivation" make a bad decision the moment they decide to delay doing what they know they should be doing. Often times, they are not aware of the negative consequences from delaying an important task or they believe the discomfort from doing that task the moment it should be done is greater than the discomfort from having to deal with the negative consequences (In that case they are usually lying to themselves). If you are honest to yourself and you make an effort to always make the best decisions you can (given the current circumstances) and you weigh the benefits of performing a task at the right time against the negatives of delaying or not performing that task, you won't really have problems with motivation.

Tangental note that I feel is just barely worth mentioning, many great inventors are legitimately lazy people (ie people who want to expend as little effort possible when they do things). Because they're lazy, they're looking for creative ways to make their tasks more efficient.

That's arguably a very different type of laziness than that of people for whom "expending as little effort possible when they do things" simply means "not doing things," but like I said I felt it was just barely worth mentioning.

In a way, hunting for the most efficient training programme is a trait of laziness, since a non-lazy person would be happy enough to just spend extra time and effort to get to the same place.

You can be lazy about doing things you know you must do i.e. prepare food for yourself or maintain a living space, but it's not clear that most of the things you're currently doing in life are things you MUST do i.e. your current job. You can't separate motivation from commitment and you can't separate commitment from emotion, otherwise why commit to anything in the first place? Why pursue things you don't want to do? They stay in a job because the alternative is not being able to provide for themselves or their family. Is not being able to provide something you really want to do? I think the message that no one is really lazy is actually correct; but I think a lot of people are confused about what they actually want to be doing.

>Demotivated suggests there's a source and it can be fixed
Yeah the source is laziness. The cure is to stop being a sad cunt and getting out there to make something of yourself. Don't want to? Fuck you; get going. Losing the desire to keep at it? Fuck you; keep going. It pays off in the long run which should be all the motivation you need. If you've got to Stockholm yourself into appreciating bettering yourself then so be it. Just keep going.

>anal sex
You know its supposed to go into the vagina right? People like you are supposed to be culled through natural selection.

So I guess you despise oral sex too, right? Dumbass.
I love fucking girls in their asses, and you know what? They like it too. Sometimes - a lot. This girl came so hard she looked like electricuted.

Well it is kinda natural he'll cull himself by constantly nutting in the ass.