SS strikes again!

Is Allen Thrall the biggest SS victim ever?
Love the dude, but his bench and OHP numbers are abysmal (compared to his lower body lifts).

He was an SS trained coach for a while, and looks plain silly.

Pics of SS victims also welcome, discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/get-started/programs
symmetricstrength.com/standards#/200/lb/male/30
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

TRAIN LE UNTAMED AMIRITE X DDDDDD

u dont need a training program just lift, increase weight, eat a lot, and rest. that's literally it

This is the exact fucking reason the same guys look exactly the same year after year.

Programming + Nutrition + Real Effort = Results if focused of realistic goals.

If your advice worked more people woudl be successful.

What happens if the weight slides off the back of his shoulders or one of his wrists lock backwards?

if you had ever squatted before, you wouldn't ask this question

>OHPs 2pl8

H-haha yeah what a DYEL r-right guys?

>Owns his gym
>Literally dedicates a decade to lifting and powerlifting/strongman
>(relatively) Weak as fuck anyway for all that effort

name 1 other natty lifter who can ohp 2pl8

That’s a risk he’s willing to take to train untamed

allen thrall is literally the natty limit

You forgot
>natty

Also in his video titled “it’s your fault you’re not getting stronger” he mentions he plateaued for 10 years because he was fucking around and not lifting serious and was not eating enough food

It’s not on your shoulder blades, it’s on your delta, it would never fall back

A lot of people can do it lol. I know natties who OHP over 300 and can jerk 400+...

Anyway yeah Alan Thrall is relatively weak for the amount of effort he's put in but I see him as more of an educator. His vids and advice are pretty much the best you can get if you're a noob.

Uh, 225 isn't all that difficult or impressive, user.

> hurr durr SS victim lel xD
> don't do SS bro
> here use this high volume PPL/brosplit from bodybuilding.com that will take you 3+ years to get the same results as 6-12 months of SS instead

This shit is getting old

>The only options are Starting Strength or a bodybuilding.Com 5 day split with no compound lifts

Tell me how I know a retarded Amerimutt made this post.

He must really slack off somewhere cause I outlift him and average 50g protein a day and do the same lifts daily for the last 3years.

>The only way to measure results is by how much you Squat.
This is essentially what you're saying. We have all seen the results of SS and no matter how much you keep muttering "muh strength base," it doesn't meant you don't still look like shit.
Anyways, you are actually autistic. Kill yourself.

>These fat bearded MUH STRENGTH mode fags

Cancer

>owns own gym
>makes YouTube videos
>natty
He's probably stressed and doesn't get enough sleep. That's probably why his gains aren't world class. Might have suboptimal genetics as well. H8ers post videos of you out lifting him. I'll wait.
I don't even like the guy. "Cringe untamed" le beard lmao.

>SS
>all of them look like absolute shit
Who could've guessed?

Just calling it how it is. Every time i've seen someone on this site bash SS, theyre always quick to recommend some cookie cutter garbage PPL thing they pulled out of their ass. Obviously there are proper alternatives such as Greyskill or stronglifts.

Lol, no thats not basically what I'm saying.
some people see fast strength on squats, some people see fast strength on bench, I know I was one of the people who always had a better connection with my upper body. I was doing 175OHP while squatting only in the mid 300s.

>We have all seen the results of SS and no matter how much you keep muttering "muh strength base," it doesn't meant you don't still look like shit.
and please explain to me how you would look any better if you were to run a different program? SS is a fucking beginner program designed to add as much strength and therefore muscle to a beginner as possible. Beginners with average genetics won't look good for a long time. And if you think they will look better by doing some 3x8 pump program Instead of actually building some real size by gaining strength on main lifts you're literally a fucking moron.
good luck "looking good" with a 135 bench. Maybe if you diet enough you'll get the body of a middle school distance runner.

They can diet down to lower their bodyfat. There's no program that gives aeshethics . Aesthetics is just low bodyfat with good muscle development.

And what's a great program for beginners to gain muscle? SS

I keep seeing these SS is a meme threads, which concerns me since I ordered the SS book and intended to dedicate myself to it.

My goal is aesthetics but I wanted a strong base to work from since obviously if I want to maintain the lifestyle I should learn as much as possible.

Is SS a meme? If not, should I supplement the routine with extra lifts? It seemed kinda lacking but looked solid overall

Ive got a friend with a 505 recorded OHP so what?

>My goal is aesthetics
>I ordered the SS book

Used to watch him but sadly Rippetits got to him and be basically took a 180 on tons of his views e.g. high bar squats

Muscle where?

In your fucking legs, particularly your ass from deadlifts and lowbar squats.

Do you HONESTLY believe you're going to have muscle in parts of the body you dont even train... or hit with 3 reps per week??? Look at people who do SS.

It's not even close to powetlifters either. They actually train how it makes sense, SS and everything Rippletits recommends/says is basically for the autistic loser who's too weak to be a powerlifter, too fat to look good and too weakwilled and uncoordinated to do a sport.

Highschool Kids who do "brosplits" look better because they 1) Actually train the bodypsrts they want to grow and 2) DONT drink a gallon of milk a day like a fucking idiot

3 sets*

This is a serious reply right?

This has to be some bait

>3 [sets] a week

SS (pic related) has at least 9 sets a week for virtually every major bodypart. Swap powercleans out for rows like most people and that IS 9 sets a week for every major body part. Plus, you can add in accessories as long as it doesn't interfere with your main lifts as Rippetoe says in the actual book.

SS has its problems (powercleans are useless to most of the people who are going to be on it, squatting and deadlifting on the same day past novice weight can cause a conflict, etc) but it's not a bad routine. For general beginners and the average lifter it's fine.

Virtually every problem with SS is alleviated with the common application of it too. Most people swap out cleans for rows. Most people add in some accessory work. A lot of people (maybe not most) stop squatting every single workout after a few months.

Lets not bullshit here. That's not the base SS routine and you know it. It's also not 9 sets a week for everything major - you really can't consider pressing to count as chest work or deadlifting to count as lat/upper back work.

SS is STARTING STRENGTH
you arent going to get asthetic doing it, but its going to build a foundation of muscle for you to work on that from
there are no instant free gains

>That's not the base SS routine and you know it.

This is how I know you didn't actually read the book or the actual program. There are multiple phases, you're thinking of phase 1 or 2.

startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

>you really can't consider pressing to count as chest work

It definitely hits the clavicular head. If you really want tits that bad then add in an accessory on that day as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of the routine as rip has ok'd.

>or deadlifting to count as lat/upper back work

I never claimed it did, in fact I specifically implied that the program as written does neglect the lats/biceps. With the remedy of replacing cleans with rows (and not alternating with deadlifts of course).

hard to say, I think youre giving normies too much credit. very few people even do what that poster said

It isn't. It will get you strong very fast if you follow it to the letter though. Generally younger dudes with decent genetics can get close to 1/2/3/4 on a well executed linear progression

Obviously no program is going to make you look like Arnold in a few months . This is just the truth

>do ss and gomad
>Gain literally 20lbs in a month
>Squat and deadlift go up 10lbs every session
>I look bad and cannot fit in my jeans

Kill me

Stop falling for memes.
If I could i'd go back ten years and just eat less and do a shit ton of pullups and dips.
I'd save myself the embarrassment of going up three pant sizes and looking like shit.
Unless you can literally train as a job, this shit gets worst the older you get.
Eventually life itself becomes a gains goblin.
If I don't eat i'm tired, if I do eat I gain weight.
If I work out I just gain muscle and don't lose fat.

It's all fucking memes. There is a reason 99% of people look like shit and 99% of people you see at the gym continue to look like shit despite going to a gym.

Look at anyone from Veeky Forums. Supposedly a board about physical health and yet the majority of posters are morbidly obese or chubby at best.

It's all a fucking meme, genetics is everything.
God I miss being 18 and eating everything and not gaining a fucking pound.

What exercise program isn't a meme?

Like SS literally has 5 lifts that everyone recommends doing. Well, 4+ power clean.

At least put some effort into your lies, faggot.

symmetricstrength.com/standards#/200/lb/male/30

OHP standards for a 200lb male:

Advanced: 205 lbs
Exceptional: 235 lbs
Elite: 260 lbs
World Class: 290 lbs

> Exceptional: Lifters in this category have typically taken a consistent, structured approach to diet and strength training for the majority of their adult life and are competitive at the regional level. For many lifters, this level is near the maximum genetic potential without the use of performance-enhancing drugs. Strength score 100.

> Elite: Lifters in this category are competitive at the national level. Those at this level have typically spent a lifetime of rigorous and structured training and dieting. Strength score 112.5.

> World class: Lifters in this category are among the best in the world and compete at the international level. Those at this level are often gifted individuals who have spent a lifetime of rigorous and structured training and dieting. Strength score 125.

YOUR FRIEND CAN OVERHEAD PRESS ALMOST DOUBLE WHAT A WORLD CLASS LIFETIME POWERLIFTER ON JUICE. WOW!

> I know natties who OHP over 300

No you don't, lying faggot.

See It's amazing how many posters here have friends who are far stronger than the strongest people in the world.

That was a joke, dummy.

>being this salty over your own failure
If you can’t make gains or stay lean that’s your problem, don’t blame your laziness on genetics

SS isn't a meme, but GOMAD is. It started off as an extreme solution for hardgainers and slowly worked its way into the mainstream. You might as well be eating spoonfuls of lard all day.

But muh gains

One that doesn't have you squatting three times a week. That's a start.

He admits that his OHP and bench suck because there wasn't enough pressing volume in the routines he did.

But he's been training for years. You do SS for a few months. You can't exactly blame SS can you?

Once I was squatting shirtless at home on summer, and the weight slipped because I was sweating like a pig. I just bailed (let it drop).

He made a video discussing why this reasoning is dumb, owning his own gym probably hurt his gains if anything. Can't focus on lifting when your business is on the edge of destruction and you cant pay your bills.

I don't blame SS. I blame all the idiots recommending SS to everyone even if they're 60 and just want to be healthy. Or if they're 20 and just wanna not be embarrassed when they take off their shirt.
SS is only for people okay with stuffing themselves with calories everyday so they can add more weight to their squat because their stubby tree trunk legs still fit into a pair of jeans somehow.
If you want to look like shit and have a strong lower body all because some guy on Veeky Forums said you need a """strength base""" before you can look good, SS is for you. For everyone else, look at a different program.

he's got a 225 strict OHP. pretty impressive IMO.

You don't have to stuff yourself with calories to do SS.

And when your bench and press stall, which usually happens before your squat and deadlift, you add an extra couple of sets to both movements. When everything stalls, you move onto another program with more volume. That's it.

You learn how to do all the main lifts and get quite a bit stronger. That's it. If you're doing it long enough to build an unbalanced physique, you're doing it wrong.

That's bullshit. You're telling me people stall on bench and ohp first. Even though the squat is supposed to go up 10 lbs every workout. 3x a week? So every 2 weeks the squat shoots up 60 pounds and bench goes up 15. You'll hit a 3 pl8 squat before you can even stall at a 1pl8 bench.
And you don't need to follow this retarded program and start at the bar just to learn the main lifts. Or here's something even crazier. You don't even need to BB bench, BB press, squat or deadlift for most people's goals. Holy shit isn't that an insane thought. But yeah let's just recommend it to everyone and their cat.

You only add 10lbs per workout for a few weeks. Have you read SS?

You don't HAVE to do SS. If someone's goal is to look jacked I'd probably have their upper body volume match their lower body volume. But the principle of doing a low volume routine built around the main barbell movements is all a novice needs.

When done with SS, I certainly wouldn't put someone who wants to get jacked on something like Texas Method, but anything with weekly progression and more volume - especially on the upper body movements - than whatever novice routine you had them doing.

The central principle that underpins building muscle and strength is increasing training volume. The problem with putting someone on a high volume bodybuilding routine as a novice is that you're doing more work than you need to. And what happens when you then need to increase the volume to make progress when you're already doing a 5 day bodybuilding split? You have to think long term.

you do realise ss was made for football players who want to get stronger right? a beginner doesn't need much volume to build muscle

omar isuf

Funny how it drops the natty tag after advanced.
>ywn lift heavy natty

This thread is full of underage brainlets

I just finished my second month of SS and doing 1/2/3/4 for 5 reps. Originally started with a 150 lb squat and 200 lb deadlift.

Train with an proper belt and do hanging leg raises for abs 1x20 , do facepulls for shoulder health 1x20 and do bicep curls 3x10. Everytime you train you do some low intensity cardio for 30min. That is the mayor improvement to SS. Also eat enough brotein.

>My goal is aesthetics
>Is going to do SS

I am pmsl

Getting back to consistent lifting.
172/63 kg, doing SS.
Been in gym for about 6 months, went from 54 kg to 64, then got some personal stuff do deal with, got down to 59 kg now been training on and off for about a month, so all my lifts are submaximal.

>I don't need to be strong to be a bodybuilder
kys twink

You gain strength as you get bigger moron

That doesn't mean you have to specifically train for strength by doing 5/3/1 or some other meme routine

hypertrophy is proportional to strength. strength = muscle cross-sectional area

ez-curling 30 lbs for 20 reps isn't going to get you big

>ez-curling 30 lbs for 20 reps isn't going to get you big

>Thinking you don't add weight when doing a hypertrophy routine

you do

Allen isn't all that aesthetically pleasing. Weak or not weak i salute his dedication to strength training.

SS haters BTFO

No

>add weight
good luck on your 1.5 pl8 bench after 2 years

There's literally no reason to flat bench if your goal is aesthetics

Dumbell and incline are superior

I actually love SS, it’s a decent beginner program, but that’s not why I love it. I love it because I can always tell who doesn’t know shit about lifting by looking for people who completely trash SS usually without ever having read the book

I hit 265 after 8 months. I only added 3 sets of OHP after the bench (I had a ton of fun doing it), everything else was unchanged

If this thread is any indication of the IQ of the general population, I'd say we're all fucked.

Every poster bashing SS clearly has no idea what the fuck they're talking about.

A few caveats:

>SS is a beginner's strength program.
It's NOT powerlifting, nor bodybuilding. Referring to SS with only a limited understanding of powerlfting/bodybuilding is like trying to read Latin with only a peripheral understanding of Spanish.

>SS actually DOES work every muscle in your body.
In fact, the low bar squat works every muscle below the bar. The OHP works every muscle in your body. The deadlift works every muscle in your body. Take a fucking anatomy course at your local community college.
If you have little experience in the gym, you don't need to spend any time doing leg extensions or hamstring curls for sets of 15.
Just fucking squat.

>The novice progression isn't supposed to last longer than 6-9 months.
If it takes longer, you're not doing the program. Once you're finished the LP, you're free to alter the program to fit your specific goals. If you want to go into bodybuilding, add in some arm and isolation work. If you do a specific sport, alter your workout to cater to that specific sport. i.e weightlifting, powerlifting, football, ect.
If you don't know what you're doing, and I know you don't, get a coach.

>SS doesn't make you fat.
Taco Bell and pizza makes you fat. GOMAD is only appropriate is you're a male, young enough to be in high school, weigh only 120lbs, and for whatever reason are incapable of eating a few extra servings at dinner time; and even then, GOMAD is only supposed to last the duration of the LP. (6-9 months)
If you don't fit into these very specific categories, don't GOMAD.

confirmed for never pausing reps

THIS x9001

Oh look it's that fag that made a useless thread to say the same gay shit

Book: Good
Routine: Meme

>stumpy legs
>high BF%

other than that what's wrong exactly

SS and SL are shit programs for beginners because they don't have any volume. Unless you want to train to become a powerlifter from day 1 you are better off just doing any PPL program with a couple set of low rep compounds on each respective day

LE POWERLIFTING FAISE XDDDDDDDDDDDDD

this is Veeky Forums, you should know by now you're dealing with contrarian culture.

that means you're never going to get a straight answer especially if you expect it to be validated by literally everyone.

just pick a fucking program and go lift. you already picked SS, so do that. then when you're somewhat capable and experienced you will not need to ask fat memers what to do anymore.

it's not on your shoulders and your wrists aren't holding the weight.

DO NOT DO CARDIO AFTER LIFTING, IT WILL LITERALLY AND UNIRONICALLY KILL YOUR GAINS.

Not really his advice was normie advice by a normie. His advice is exactly what those guys in the gym that look the same year after year do

Programming + Nutrition + Effort = Results anything else = 1/2 assed bullshit results.

His advice is by a normie for normies that look the same year after year with 0 real gains.

The way you chose to live your life was the “Gains Goblin”

Getting older makes little difference it just limits your potential. What I mean is this if you start working out in your 30’s you can get to very respectable fitness level the same is true for early 40’s. Post mid 40’s it degrades very quickly as to your potential if you wait to start. If one has a “good” level of health and no mobility issues. The deck gets stacked against you if pre-existing health issues exist.

You can go into any gym and find extremely healthy 30, 40, 50 … 90 year olds who function at years well below their chronological age. The key is when they started. They also train smart and are hives of information all you have to do is talk to them.

99% of people look like shit because its exactly how hard they have worked. Most of the meme’s presented on this board will actually work some better than others, but the idiots on here argue about the least important trivial bullshit about them.

You look exactly like you have trained, eaten and lived get over it. If you look like shit its because of you and you only.

Beginners don't need much volume at all to create an adaptation response. Beginners benefit most from an increase in intensity. Why would you have a noobie lifter in the gym hammering themselves with unnecessary volume when they get the same results from less time spent in the gym? After all, new lifters are trying to get into the lifestyle of lifting weights which involves a time commitment. A sure way to scare new people off is to keep them in the gym for unnecessary amounts of time with no quantifiable extra benefit.

Adding 5 to 10 lbs per workout is already a crazy ass progression, what exactly are you expecting to accomplish by throwing more volume at the people following SS?

>Beginners benefit most from an increase in intensity.
>unnecessary volume
>same results from less time
>Adding 5 to 10 lbs per workout is already a crazy ass progression

Nice rebuttal. Well laid out counter-arguments. 10/10.

You're retarded if you don't agree with this...all the people bitching about volume don't realize that 5x5 is high volume. Adding 5-10lbs per workout is increasing volume. I swear some people have the most retarded ideas of how training works. you probably think 3x8 pump training is what will make you look good and 5x5 will build no muscle and just make you fat.

>SS
Three words: Fatty Zach Evetts

>5x5 is high volume
>Adding 5-10lbs per workout is increasing volume
>3x8 pump training

If you want to have an actual discussion about performing the lifts, nutrition, or programming, go to the SS forum. You can even get your form checked FOR FREE by an actual SS coach. Veeky Forums is literally the last place you'll find intelligent conversation. All the noobs on here would be better off lurking over there than reading dyels on here going about nofap, onions, and made up mire stories. I enjoy the memes, but this place is garbage when you're trying to actually learn.

You mean the guy that gained 46lbs of lean body mass in 6 months, gained 200lbs on his squat, all while following the programming to a T? Hm. But unfortunately he happened to be 20% which means it was all worthless right? It's not like he can cut or anything

>bench press less than bodyweight
>good progress

>look at me i can le use le green arrows xD

>that pain of pathetic soyboy

>you dont need to be strong according to this IFBB Pro Bodybuilder who trains 10h a day, eats only bull semen and is injecting horse hormones right into his ass

great advice

240x5 bench while weighing 243, from a noob, after 6 months of training
but keep on trolling, doesn't change anything.