Can we have a routine rate thread? i'm mainly a /b/tard and have only been here a handful of times...

Can we have a routine rate thread? i'm mainly a /b/tard and have only been here a handful of times, but i'm falling for the new years resolution meme and i actually want to get buff. currently 145 5'11. how much muscle can i expect to gain in a year on this routine and how can i make it better?

Monday: Arms
Bench Press 3x10 followed by 3x5
Close grip bench press 4x12-15
Skull Crushers 3x10 followed by 2x5
French press 4x12-15
Lat pulldown (underhand) 5x10 followed by 3x5
lat pulldown (overhand) 5x10 followed by 3x5
curls 3x12-15
hammer curls 3x12-15
reverse curls 3x12-15
preacher curls 3x12-15

Tuesday: Chest
Wide grip bench press 5x10 followed by 3x5
Wide grip decline bench 5x10
Wide grip incline bench 5x10
DB Bench 5x10 followed by 3x5
Decline flies 5x12-15
Flat flies 5x12-15
Incline flies 5x12-15

Wednesday: Shoulders
Overhead press 5x10 followed by 3x5
DB overhead press 5x10 followed by 3x5
Behind the neck press 5x10
arnold press 5x12-15
Front raises 5x12-15
later raises 5x12-15
rear delt flies 5x12-15

Thursday: Back and legs
Lat pulldown (overhand) 10x10 followed by 5x5
Dumbell rows 10x10 followed by 5x5
shrugs 5x12-15
dumbell shrugs 5x12-15
squats 3x12-15
bodyweight lunges for 10 minutes total
3 mile run

Friday: fun day

Other urls found in this thread:

jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/
diogn.es/u/156
aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

none, it's garbage
do ss on a moderate surplus faggot

newfag question, but what is ss and what do you mean by surplus?

holy shit just eat more and start SS you mongo, its not that hard, but if you wait until new years instead of starting right now you will never make it

ss: starting strength
surplus: eat more calories (500 is a good starting point) than you burn

READ THE FUCKING STICKY

I already eat 3 times a day with snacks inbetween. how many meals should i aim for then?
thank you i will google it. how do i know how many calories i burn though? is it dependant on my weight?

sailrabbit.com/bmr

there's barely anything i can find on the sticky that helps, i dont even understand most of the terminology, which is probably the main issue.

number of meals is irrelevant, calories matter

shit is that what counting calories is? i had a family member have to do that for a while and they always said it was a pain in the ass. is that 100% required or can i just try to guess where I'm at for the day?

your family member is a fucking retard then
it literally takes 30 seconds after each meal

download an app called myfitnesspal, use it, every single day, and log literally everything you eat and drink (besides water). use a food scale and measure everything at first, after a few weeks you'll get good at eyeballing it.

also, you want 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, and carb/fat split doesn't really matter as long as it's not extreme either way

There's another thread up that I already posted in but I'll post in here too

Day 1
Competition Squat
Competition Bench
Barbell Rows

Day 2
Competition Deadlift
Competition Press
Squat variation

Day 3
GPP -upper back, abs, biceps, conditioning

Day 4
Squat variation
Overload Bench
Bench accessory

Day 5
Deadlift variation
Press accessory
Squat accessory

Day 6
GPP -upper back, abs, biceps, conditioning

set and rep schemes are determined by which block im in, but this is the template

Download myfitnesspal and log everything you eat and drink on it. It’s a calorie tracking app

competition lifts should be most of your training, not once a week
deadlifts the day after squats (with no rest day in between) is retarded
day 3 and 5 is just fucking weird, you
likely only need conditioning once a week, and scrap all that other garbage
overload bench is borderline useless
and seriously reconsider the "template stays the same, set/rep changes" crap, is really far from optimal
you compete in all big four lifts? what?

also, stats?

I do supplemental lifts and variations for fatigue management purposes since usually they are submaximal compared to competition lifts
There's nothing wrong with deadlifting the day after squats if the loads on the work sets are submaximal and you have been training long enough to where you can tolerate more stress
Day 3 and five is General Physical Preparedness. It allows me to hit some of my "neglected muscles" And I cycle between once and twice a week. This is a high-stress week for me so I do it twice
I bench with chains or slingshot once a week on this current microcycle to achieve sufficient training stress with slightly higher weight than my competition lifts for recovery purposes
The template only stays the same in this current cycle which is 6 weeks. Most people on here don't do or understand programming, so I didn't think it was necessary to point out that this is only a microcycle in a several month long program
530/335/540 and a 245 press

I should also mention that this is a developmental block in my current program, which is why there is a higher amount of exercise variation. Once I begin the specialization blocks, the more specific the training becomes to competition lifts, and the volume also decreases. in the 2 weeks before the end of the program, (which in my case will be a meet) I drop all supplemental and accessory lifts and cut volume to peak on competition lifts

Shits all fucked up. Would take too long to explain everything. Pick a program don't make one because you clearly don't shit.

i just do SS but instead of squatting everyday i bench and do chin ups 3 times a week + face pulls

>Monday: back/shoulders
>Tuesday: rock climbing
>Wednesday: run
>Thursday: chest/Tris
>Friday: climbing
>Saturday: run
>Sunday: rest or climb if friends couldn't make it during the week

>legs? lol no

bro that is way too much volume for an untrained lifter, and as a newbie you should really be doing full body exercises

look up the following and pick one
Veeky Forums's GSLP (pic related)
GZCLP
ivysaur beginner's program

you can do SS, but only if you READ THE BOOK and DO THE ACTUAL PROGRAM, phases and all

Well you must be a huge retard if you don't understand the sticky because it's especially written for barely literate people

Shit you guys have all well thought out routines and stuff, I've just been doing
>Day 1
OHP, Curls, Bench 3x8, last set till failure
Some lateral raises and skullcrushers between sets
>Day 2
Deadlifts, Bent over Rows, Squats 3x8, last until failure

His bad is that?

>Do a program made by a failed powerlifter AND a failed coach.
Nah fuck that shit.

For every beginner: jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/

A good and fun program made by world class powerlifter and top tier coach.

post timestamped body and stats, twink
9/10 you never set foot in a gym, 1/10 you did but are turbodyel

Chad's total is 2226lbs.
He has coached olympic athletes.

Has Rippetoe come even close to either one?

[spoiler]I don't own a smartphone with camera lol[/spoiler]

from diogn.es/u/156

these are the people on this board giving you advice Veeky Forums

>Monday: Arms
>Bench Press
ask me how I know you have spongebob arms
>Monday: Arms
>Lat pulldown
alright nevermind this is bait

>currently 145 5'11

Well you certainly have a big long list of exercises to be doing for a DYEL. They're all there, that's for sure. I assume you're just going to be doing them with the 2.5kg rubber dumbbells for the first month until you lay your hands on enough steroids to recover each days...

I mean lets looks at Monday, arm day...

=2(3x10)+4(3x15)+2(4x15)+3(3x5)+(2x5)+2(5x10)
=2(30)+4(45)+2(60)+3(45)+(10)+2(50)
=60+180+120+135+10+100
=605 reps

on Monday.

I mean lets say you just pack these sessions into 1 hour blocks... That's only one rep every 10 seconds assuming you're already in your gym gear. Very doable. You also left 3 days together on the weekend to recover... Good idea there user, you need to be fresh for mondays 600 reps and then the 1500 reps you have lined up over the following 3 days. Good job putting cardio at the end of your weightlifting on Thursday. Cardio should always come after your lifts as to not fatigue you too much, if you did it Monday morning there is no way you would have enough energy remaining to complete your weekly 2100 reps.

Your routine gets a 2/10

You get a 2 for effort. You actually know the names of all the exercises. Although you probably don't know how to do them or what muscles they work exactly.

Read sticky. SS, eat more, 0.8g protein / lb of lean mass etc...

Anyone?

Super basic so not horrible, but you should stop doing 3x8. Do 5x5, warmup by starting with the bar and adding more weight, when you get to like 80-85% of your max, start counting sets. Don't do exercises in between sets.

R8:
Upper
Bench press 5x5
Overhead press 5x5
Pendlay row 5x5
Cuban press 4x8
BB front raise 4x12
Machine shoulder press 4x12
Lateral pulldown 4x12
Seated row 4x8
Cable rear delt 4x8 (or machine rear delt or seated DB rear delt)
Overhead tricep pulldown 4x12
Machine tricep extension 4x8
Machine chest press 4x12
Cable flyes 4x12
Machine bicep curl 4x8

Lower
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Straight leg deadlift 4x12
Leg extension 4x12
Leg curl 4x12
Inner calf raises 3x15 superset outer calf raises 3x15

>arms day
Does chest,arms, and back exercises. No dude that's not how it works. This is way too much volume for a beginner. You'll make no progress doing 10 different exercises a day. Do some beginner routine or PPL where you hit each muscle group twice a week

READ THE FUCKING STICKY

You will quit in 1 week on this routine. You will be constantly in pain, unable to do things like put on clothes or walk up stairs without an excruciating amount of effort. Routines like this are why new years resolution people quit; start slow, with something you can actually stick to.

>didn't post your body OR your stats
huh

UPPER POWER
Bench 3x5
OHP 3x8
Rear Delt Flies 3x8
Barbell Rows 3x5
Pullups 3x8
Shrugs 3x8
LTE 3x8
Chinups3x8

LOWER POWER
Squats 3x5
Deadlifts 3x5
RDL 3x8
Hamstring Curls 3x8
*Quad Curls3x12
*Hanging Leg Raises 3x10

PUSH
Bench 4x8
Incline Bench 4x8
DB Flyes 3x10
OHP 4x8
Lateral DB Raises 3x10
LTE 3x10
Hanging Leg Raises3x10

PULL
Pullups 4x8
Barbell Rows 4x8
T-Bar Rows 3x10
Shrugs 4x8
Rear Delt Flies 3x10
Chinups 3x10
*Wrist Curls 3x10

LEGS
Front squats 4x8
SLDL 4x8
Quad Curls 3x10
Hamstring Curls 3x10
Calf Raises 3x10
Hanging Leg Raises 3x10
*Cardio 15 mins

got this from another user

I don't need to since this is strictly Rippetoe vs. Smith thing.

and Smith has coached athletes of higher caliber and has great PL results.
So why are you against it

Reminder: routines don't work without overload

Doing the same exercise with the same weight with the same sets and reps every workout produces 0 gains since your body has already adapted to handle the workload.

not op, but what does "alternate between workouts" mean?

Assuming you're doing ABxABxx or similar, that's basically just a bastardized push/pull split, so not terrible assuming you're progressing through your lifts.

It means you always do the opposite upper body push from what you did the last time you were in the gym

Week 1: bench, ohp, bench
Week 2: ohp, bench, ohp
Week 3: bench, ohp, bench

while the lower body lifts go:

squat, deadlift, squat

no matter what week you're on

I'd switch front squats to reg squats. need more consistency to get better.

Here's mine:
AxBxAxBx....
A:+5lbs last 5x5 day
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
DL 1x5
Facepulls 3x15-20
B: @70% of previous 5x5 weight
Squat 2x5
Bench 3x5
BB Rows 3x8-12
(Might add some hamstring curls here if I start to stall). I'm in the process of learning and getting the flexibily for cleans so that'll be an option too.

Basically SS but with a light day for recovery. I find it better than deloading.

My stats are

Dead 440
Squat 405
Bench 270
OHP 165

I got here with SL5x5 and 5/3/1.. what's a good hypertrophy routine to go to? I want to get lean and put on mass while maintaining my numbers.. willing to drop some if it means achieving aesthetics.

will candito six week give me a nice thicc physique? it has both hypertrophy and power phases, is that decent?

Have you seen candito? He's tiny. Strong, but tiny.

what routine will get me thicc then? while maintaining somewhat decent strength that is

I am currently at 150kg squat and 160kg dead
bench is 100kg I guess, havent checked it in a while, but it was 100 a month ago

thanks

Oh god, that shit is terrible

Do a beginner program

Any experience with Ivysaur's 4-4-8 program?

>I don't need to since this is strictly Rippetoe vs. Smith thing.
Why, if it works so well? What are you scared of?
>and Smith has coached athletes of higher caliber
Irrelevant, we're talking about beginners
>and has great PL results.
Irrelevant, your programming ability doesn't depend on your competitive results
>So why are you against it
His article essentially breaks down to
>beginners have no muscle mass
>perfect your technique

Concerning muscle mass, or rather, the lack thereof: he says beginners should train like a bodybuilder.
This is wrong for several reasons.
First, given that complete beginners are, by definition, completely unadapted, 2-5 sets of 5 have been shown to be optimal for getting some strength and some hypertrophy gains, for the first 3-6 months, depending on the hormonal makeup of the lifter.
Second, even if we concede that BB-style training is the way to go, it is inappropriate to jump straight into BB-style training, but beginners should instead go for a so-called strength base first. While much memed about, it's completely legit. Think about it: doing 6 months of SS and then 6 months of BB-style training will give you MUCH better gains. both strength-wise and hypertrophy-wise, than doing 12 months of BB-style training as a beginner, simply by virtue of being able to squat 3pl8 3x10 instead of 1pl8 3x10. The average kid that jumps straight into BB-style training will end up squatting 1-1.5pl8 after a year, and having legs that are only slightly less twiggy.
He also says people running that routine should increase total volume, but doesn't tell you how much or how often. Rest assured that the average dyel running that routine (or, for that matter, any routine that doesn't prescribe structured weight/rep/set increases) will increase weight maybe once a month.

cont.

Concerning the technique part:
I'm not saying technique isn't important, quite on the contrary.
However, the sample routine he gives is absolute horseshit from that point of view. How the actual fuck are you supposed to learn good technique when you're doing 22 different things every week?
If proper technique is important (and beginners really don't need that much variation to make progress), wouldn't it be better to squat three times a week, instead of back squatting once, then front squatting, leg pressing, doing lunges, box squats and goblet squats too? How the fuck are you ever going to learn proper bench form as a beginner if half your benches are leally close/wide grip? Are two DB (lmao) weekly press sets all you really need to learn proper pressing form? How are you ever going to learn proper deadlift form if you never do actual deadlifts?

Pls rate

No experience but you should squat more than deadlift bc the squat improves the deadlift more than the other way around and squatting is difficult and you need practise. Also they are less tiring than deadlifts. And this needs some curls

Kek'd and checked

pressing and benching the same day is bad (especially on TM), since I've of the two is bound to suffer hard
also ID is easy, load it with assistance exercises. i'd move LTE to thursday, and add chins to thursday too

yeah I'll switch fronts to regs. Never really like fronts anywayas

>those numbers
I guess front squatting is dead then

thoughts ? I wanna focus a bit more on my arms and shoulders in the next weeks/months.

hell yeah check my fucking digits

>pressing and benching the same day is bad (especially on TM), since I've of the two is bound to suffer hard
thats why they're alternating
>also ID is easy, load it with assistance exercises
for the presses this is already more than the basic TM
> i'd move LTE to thursday
why? Dips are there
>add chins to thursday too
nah I do them to failure with long rest between sets. Thats enough for a week and I don't give a shit about big lats and they cause rolled over shoulders anyway for me

you're a faggot

what happens if you accidentally rest 3:01

building the monolith

it would be extremely painfull

>thats why they're alternating
but you still do both on the same day, correct?
>for the presses this is already more than the basic TM
what?
>> i'd move LTE to thursday
>why? Dips are there
no they're not
>you're a faggot
rude :(

for whom?

Kinda makes me think of something a boxer would do, which is not a bad thing. I'm not the most experienced guy, but it seems pretty balanced with compounds and isolations. I see nothing wrong with it.

too much pushing vs pulling

A
Squats 5×5
Lat Pulldown or Pull-Ups 5×5
Flat or incline Bench Press 5×5
Barbell or Dumbbell Curls 4×10
Skullcrushers, French curls or triceps pushdowns 4x10
Forearms 4×10 or Machine Military press focusing on negatives 3x10
Calves 3×25-30 or Shrugs 4x15

B
Leg press 5×10
Rows 5×5
Standing Press 5×5
Deadlifts 3×5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 “stabilizer set”) Sumo deadlifts on the last day when I have to deadlift twice a week.
Forearms 4×10
Calves 3×25-30

It's basically just Reg Park's beginner routine, but with some more variations. Progress is decent, even though I'm on a caloric deficit.
Recovery is fine, and it's AxBxAxx.

OP your shit is fucked. Just Google a full body routine or start ss. Use myfitnesspal and learn to read labels, don't be lazy or bitch out. If there is any day where you can absolutely not make it to the gym just do a ton of push-ups and squats.

rate pls:
ABxBAxx or something similar, I do 2 sets per exercise of approx 10 reps:

A: chinups
ohp
wide grip lat pulldown
dips
leg press
core work (mostly static holds)
triceps pushdown
hammer curls
neck curls

B:
rows (bodyweight or barbell)
close hands hip pushup (pic related but with hands closer)
rows (cable row or face pull)
wide or incline pushup
core work
leg curl
curl
lateral raises
neck curls

I also try to do some sports, football, table tennis or squash.
Honestly, I have a hard time progressing (shit routine?). My numbers are quite low (~9 chinups with strict form and 4x45kg ohp) but I am pretty lean still and have been bulking for some time, so I'm sort of satisfied with how I look. Goals are aesthetics and having fun.

>curls 3x12-15
>hammer curls 3x12-15
>reverse curls 3x12-15
>preacher curls 3x12-15
kek, nigger you better be trolling
start with something simple like this aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
and read the fucking sticky

I'm currently running the Arnold Basic Mass Routine, slightly altered, but in general the same.

As I've been lising more strength than I'd like on this cut, I was wondering if I should have a day for each split as a strength day, where I hit something like 5x5, rather than 5x12 for the main lifts, and maybe an accessory lift or two, depending on the day. So say for Mon, Wed, and Fri, I would do Strength focused, and on the rest, follow the routine as normal.

Is it worth changing it up, or should I leave the routine as it is?

Pic related.

for my gf, she is the timekeeper and if she fucks up she gets her ass slapped. although she isnt very reliable I gotta say...

what a fag