Martial arts thread

I'm thinking of starting Martial arts. I'm thinking Muai thai or kickboxing for striking and BJJ or sambo for ground game. Any thoughts? Muai that or kb? Bjj or sambo? Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bOcl7JVJsh0
youtube.com/watch?v=Q24Z5IfADSg
youtube.com/watch?v=oGvijYGj_NY
mma-core.com/videos/Every_time_Holly_Holm_has_been_taken_down_in_an_MMA_fight/10203077
bjj-world.com/sarah-patterson-internet-troll-kristopher-zylinski/
youtube.com/watch?v=DbMITmDeNCU
youtube.com/watch?v=j_6bmrqIsP8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why are you thinking of starting martial arts? Depending on what you hope to get out of it will dictate what you should try...

full contact kyokushin. underrated.

Goju

imo ashihara is the ultimate karate school

Tai Bo, Billy Blanks VHS tapes are cheap

muay thai = cardio deluxe
plus lifting = need to eat like 4000kcal minimum to get gains

Precision beats power, and timing beats speed.

But wrestling beats everything.

muay thai for the elbows but if you're a beginner kick is ok too
sambo is supposed to be very good compared to bbj but judo or real wrestling is fine

If you want pure, realistic self-defense without any rules, it's Krav Maga hands down. It teaches kick-boxing, grappling, choking, defense against weapons, strikes to weak points (groin, eyes, neck etc.), and overall teaches how to fight as effectively as possible without any rules.
BJJ comes second, great martial art for self-defense too. Propably the best for situations when the fight goes to the ground (almost always)

If you want it simpler (Without grappling, choking, weapon defense or groin/eye/neck strikes like in Krav Maga) go for kick boxing or muay thai. Excellent base for other martial arts, and teaches you how to punch/kick/block properly.

If you want a Karate-style martial art and want to be a fucking rock who can absorb damage, go for Kyokushin Karate.

P90X Kempo will turn you into a wrecking machine. You’ll literally be MMA material in a couple of weeks.

Not even meming. That shit is cash.

Except for bjj

Sambo is inferior to BJJ. There are no chokes in sambo. Armbars and such are complete memes. Chances of an armbar doing any real damage are pretty slim. People just ignore full extended armbars in grappling tournaments and MMA all the time, it's not something you'd rely on in a self defense situation. If you have to end a fight, chokes are a surefire way.

In BJJ. any technique from judo/sambo/wrestling is available to you if you want to learn it. It's consistently BJJ guys cleaning house at submission grappling tournaments, regardless of the rules.

>Kyokushin Karate
Fuck is this? All I can find from Youtube is people doing brick breaking meme strikes and acting though. I used to do some form of Karate when I was pre-school age and even we broke thous silly bricks.

I've trained Wing Chun for like 5 years and now my knees are a complete mess
Was thinking to move to Sanda

That was a pretty good artist back in the day. Everybody have fun tonight was a decent song.

sound like you didn't search for "kyokushin karate"

You're still a pussy and you should kill yourself. Martial arts will not help you win a fight. You are too weak to win.
Soyboy

nigga, just by a gun.

youtube.com/watch?v=bOcl7JVJsh0

slap fu

Lift for explosiveness and hit the heavy bag. Its that simple bro. I beat the fuck outta the heavy bag after my workout sessions. When your hands look like mine you'll be ready.

Im 6'3, 220lbs and my wrists have been conditioned through years of bag work and power cleans. The average dude would get fucked up by me regardless of where i hit them, head, solo plexis, liver. Don't matter ur getting fucked up.

It's probably the most legit version of Karate. Several prominent MMA fighters got their start here. They practice full contact sparring, and barring several weird rules, that are just a part of all forms of Karate, it's one of the best.

Kyokushin will teach you to keep your hands down as punches are only allowed to the body. Krav Maga is just tacticool faggots what kung fu is to neckbeards. Wrestle, box, muay thai maybe bjj

>is to tacticool faggots*

fuck i dont have a heavy bag, any alternatives?

>thumb position

Why do you want to break your shit, user?

>being this delusional

Muay thai + BJJ is best combo. Ideally I'd pick sambo over both but good luck finding a proper sambo place outside of Russia. The same can be said about MT but there are some good joints here and there.

I was positioning my hand to show my knuckles. That's not how I make a fist for striking.

Cope harder.

Delusional if you think armbars don't work

youtube.com/watch?v=Q24Z5IfADSg

Sure thing buddeh

lel this guy thinking he's all absolute brawler brute strength and shit, until some BJJer comes along and snaps his shit in half. kimbo slice used to think he was tough too until he started fighting mma.

sounds like you have no idea what kyokushin is

I have a friend who teaches kung fu (I honestly can't remember which style, though I remember him saying it was not like wing chun, but something more "open and with wider movements", idk) and he can get me a great discount. I'll definitely be starting out this january.

What should I expect?

I've never done any martial arts before. In fact, I think I've never been in a fight in my life.

Kung fu is a meme and doesnt work.

Have you ever punched somebody or gotten punched in the face before?

leg lock > everything

>open and with wider movements
Sounds like the opposite of what you want to do when fighting. I mean keep an open mind I guess, but I'm guessing you're gonna do more "dancing" and choreographed moves against a non-resisting opponent than actually fight.
There's a reason there's no kung fu in MMA. It doesn't work for real fighting.

Can anyone recommend some basic but effective workouts for martial arts?
Id presume push ups, pull ups, sit ups and squats are the first choices of course

The first choice is cardio. If you're gonna do pushups, pullups and squats at least do them with weight added.

Competed teakwondo at the provincial level. Boxing too but not competitively, just learned for self defense. I practise like i said on a heavy bag just fine tuning what i learned over the course of my life.

The last time i was in a fight i was drunk and kicked a buddy for talking shit. It wasn't a serious kick to the body or head but more like how you'd use to discipline an adult. I kicked him in the hamstring and he was airborne, he's a 6ft 215 lbs fatty.

Pic related, some of medals i have lying around still. Not all were won in sparring.

>have i ever been punched or hit before

Yea but for some reason after developing into a full grown man it sharply declined. Could have something to do with being 6'3 100kgs.

MMA isn't real fighting.
It's specifically designed to integrate far more wrestling and grapplin then needed.
It's as much of a choreographed dance as kung-fu.

Fucking stupid

Is BJJ a fun thing to do? How are the training sessions?

Honestly it looks kinda boring...

I'm well aware of it, it's not like I'm going to kung fu people in the streets. It still is, as far as I was told by my friend, heavy training with body weight exercises that require great resistance and stuff.

Are you autistic? They start on their feet and are free to attack based on their fighting style. They are only barred from shit like head stomping or spiked elbows. The only reason there would be too much grappling in mma is because grappling works.
>this fucking idiot doesn't know a Gracie submitted a boxer to win the first UFC championship ever

?

It can look boring/gay/silly but it's really fun to do. If you're watching matches in the gi it looks even more boring, especially when you know nothing about it, but it feels different when you're doing it.
You spar every time which is really satisfying. If there are any gyms nearby you can probably drop in and ask to try a class. It's hard in the beginning though, it has a ridiculous turnover.

This. I train boxing, but I'm not delusional enough to think I could walk into a cage and keep it standing against an experienced grappler. They would take me down and tie me in knots quick.

If you think not allowing punches to the face, or take downs doesn't make a huge difference you're retarded

It's fun with good competition, and if you have a good gym to train at. It's comparable to wrestling, but less aggressive and more technical imo. I'd recommend it. I see how it could seem boring but actually grappling with someone is an extremely satisfying activity once you're started

This guy is still in 1995, when retards were trying to say grappling/wrestling doesn't work

So true, also during Pride FC things like soccer kicks and jumping stomps were allowed. and grappling still was direly important

What do you guys think of Khabib Nurmagomedov?

It all comes down to experience really. Holly homes fucked Ronda rouse up, but she definitely wasn't rounded enough to hold a belt for long. She just had the perfect counter to Rondas style

Thanks lads. I'll give it a try when my next semester starts

What would be the most important muscles/exercises to prepare myself?

Boxers and the like have been butthurt at grapplers since 1937
youtube.com/watch?v=oGvijYGj_NY

True, she has gotten better recently, although I do think Cyborg is going to destroy her on Saturday, unless Holm can counter her before getting taken down and pounded out.

Focus on flexibility at first

Haha, great video, i still can't believe it was ever a question

Just join an MMA gym where you can train striking (mainly mauy thai and boxing) as well as wrasslin and BJJ.

You don't really need to choose but if I had the choice it would be BJJ and Mauy Thai for sure.

>What would be the most important muscles/exercises to prepare myself?

Cardio is probably the most important, but if you're like me traditional cardio is super boring. BJJ is my cardio, so either you'll just wait and see or start preparing if you're up for it.
Strong and flexible hips are important, so is a strong core and back. It's good to be generally strong, both for performance and injury prevention, so just do your big boy lifts and you should be fine.

Manlets, baka

I hope Edson kicks his head off, decapitation via heel kick.

Theres places i could go to learn kickboxing or even krav maga, but theyre expensive as shit. Can i just learn what i need to off videos with a partner?

What the other guys said. Some form things you could look up and practice on your own would be things like shooting in on an opponent for single and double leg takedowns. That's not even important though, there's black belt BJJ guys that sit on their butts and slide towards you going for a leg lock. You kinda just have to jump in and find your style my dude.

Could happen, Khabib is there to be hit at times..

That could be a really good fight actually. If holly has improved her laughable takedown defense
mma-core.com/videos/Every_time_Holly_Holm_has_been_taken_down_in_an_MMA_fight/10203077
>tfw you will never get to fight a female UFC champion
I want to know if a average guy could beat an elite female lol

I always wanted to try this but didn't want to waste peoples time with me being a noob like cause I know no other martial art than a tiny bit of actual boxing routines and stance. but yeah. Is it really that good? the idea of mastering sword fighting makes me diamonds.

6'3 and 220lbs is nothing if you go to a decent MMA gym, I'm 6'5 and 240 and not the biggest at my gym

find a gym user, you're not as tough as you think, promise

I think studying techniques and practicing with a partner is a good way for poor people to get good. be sure you aren't doing compliance shit like akido, and a lot of krav. if you have to ask your partner to do something for a move to work the move is stupid.

>people just ignore having their elow dislocated all the time

Ok

If i want to stretch my legs to be able to do a kick should i still squat? Wouldn't that tighten my legs?

I did Choi Kwang Do, I thought it was fun. I wouldn't suggest though.

depends on your goals and how much time you have.

i only ever have a few hours every week, so i just do boxing. there's less moves and it doesnt take very long to get good enough to use them. the rest is just practice.

personally dont do grappling because i think its pretty gay.

Know how i know your a bitch? I just posted my height/weight and my hand but you got so but hurt your ridiculing me. Pussy nigga. Go internet fight someone else faggot.

>comes into a MMA thread acting cocky for doing one boxing drill and lifting heavy
>another user reminds him size doesn't matter against skilled opponents
>cries, takes it as personal ridicule, acts feminine in general
Why are you so emotionally triggerable user? The fact you feel attacked by that says something about your ego

Go internet fight someone else faggot.

Khabib Smesh him

Uh, w-why don’t you have any hair on your hands, dude?

>he sat here refreshing Veeky Forums for 2 hours
I hope you don't regularly spend two hours a day here user

Isn't that normal hair distribution? Wtf man your tripping me out.

He does. Look closer.

What do you mean? The rest of you guys spend 4-6 hours a day here...right?

>I want to know if a average guy could beat an elite female lol

You're going to find out soon
bjj-world.com/sarah-patterson-internet-troll-kristopher-zylinski/

I could deck every cunt ITT

Dont know much about martial art but I have this picture some martial art user posted

Lmao, who would have thought that Lesnar had a soybeard.

>boxing above muay thai

>not reading the reasoning for the ranking.

Boxing works no matter what, and you will learn it faster than muay thai.
Also finding a decent muay thai gym is harder than finding a boxing gym.

>Krav maga not in the shit tier section

0/10

youtube.com/watch?v=DbMITmDeNCU

i did krav maga for 2 years and got to an intermediate level, all i can say is that it's very, VERY overrated, the whole system is flawed because it's taught so that anybody can do it even a small 100lb girl, which means on a basic level anybody stronger than a small girl is hindered into fighting at that level.
I did really believe in Krav for a while and trained 4 to 5 times a week, but the illusion was shattered when i was out with my mates and we had an argument after drinking, my mate who's a boxer fucking had no trouble landing some hits before i could even think about a typical krav defense (groin strike, eye poke lmao lmao), went to my instructor the next day and told him about it and he pretty much admitted that against a trained and conditioned fighter it's useless.
Seeing as MMA is a worldwide and prevalent sport Krav is a fucking joke, since that day I quit and took up Boxing and BJJ and have been doing those two for 3 plus years, miles better. The real nail in the coffin was coming up through the ranks in BJJ and it dawning on me that after 2 years of Krav training I would have been lucky to beat a white belt 1 stripe in a fight.

I will admit that it's got some good knife and stick defense, gun defense is more or less a joke so pre redundant
TL;DR Krav is a waste of shekels, learn a real martial art that conditions you

Step 1: boxing to get your striking technique right and get your cardio up
Step 2: kickboxing/muay thai to add kicks to your arsenal
Step 3: judo to improve your stability, grappling and to prepare you for groundwork
Step 4: bjj for groundwork and overall deadliness

But honestly, if you want to be able to beat 9/10 guys 6 months of kickboxing is enough

>gun defense is more or less a joke so pre redundant

Total bullshit bro, gun defense is legit youtube.com/watch?v=j_6bmrqIsP8

Tbh talking self defense the best options are boxing and wrestling IMO
Boxing for instinctual head-movement, spacing, and ability to end a fight in 2 seconds, wrestling for if you get wrapped up and can't throw anything, wrestling is also instinctual which makes it your automatic reaction when you're getting jumped.

My friends who are bouncers all vouch for wrestling

Gee whiz I sure was in the mood to wake up this morning and see another thread full of mall ninjas shreiking bloody murder about krav maga and bjj, and backing it all up with their infinite wells of "in the streets" experience.

The best martial arts, in order, are
>the art of heavily outnumbering your opponent
>the art of striking your opponent from behind long before they can see you
>the art of having a deadly weapon on you
>the art of situational awareness and not picking fights with faggots over nothing

we don't have a wrestling culture in Europe, but I'm guessing it's close to judo

>advocates ambushing people from behind and having 30 people curb stomp some guy you had a disagreement with at once
>call other people edgy mall ninjas

gee whiz

>The best martial arts, in order, are
>the art of heavily outnumbering your opponent
>the art of striking your opponent from behind long before they can see you
>the art of having a deadly weapon on you
>the art of situational awareness and not picking fights with faggots over nothing

Those aren't martial arts. We're discussing martial arts. What you're doing is the equivalent of entering a deadlift thread and saying that using a forklift will make you lift the most weight, you're just being a contrarian dick.

you should expect a minimal requirement of physical capability, which is a mistake.

Learning a "style" of kung fu is a fat stack of steaming crap. Smoke a joint, get down in a horse stance, breathe deeply, and go with the flow. You'll feel like a retard for the first couple weeks, and you won't learn anythiing useful in a fight. But it's great for flexibility and stability, which it doesn't hurt to have.