Are lateral raises supposed to be hard?

are lateral raises supposed to be hard?
i struggle with 10lbs (15 if i go berserk in the gym)
im sort of a lanklet almost out of the skinny fat stage

Ye they're fucking hard, 10 lbs is pretty soft but I don't ever see anyone at my gym doing more than 30 lbs

All resistance training is supposed to be hard. Just don't let the weight you're starting with today be the weight you're still doing in a few months.

yeah, i rarely see bigguys at the gym going over 30lb.
it's pretty much the lightest db exercise in most routines

It's very hard also to increase the weight (At least for me). Been doing them for a year, started at like 10 lbs, I'm still only at 25 lbs.

Yup! 10 lbs is perfect start for the lift.

try microplates. bring your own if the gym doesn't have them

Lateral raises are the exercise with the least progress me

I don't do them often, but OHP carries over so I started with 10 kg a few years ago and still only do 20 kg now

Very hard. I've been training for 4 years now and I use 30-40's for working sets of 10 for a few sets but have to drop Because form falls apart. I progressed the most from sticking to quality form 70% of the time with heavy cheatish reps for some sets.
Keep in mind I don't mean full on swing up and drop down, swinging up is okay at the end but you HAVE to control it down.

Nice delts

Thanks, delts are by far my favorite muscles to work

Don't sacrifice form on lateral raises. It can lead to long term damage. Don't be afraid to go down in weight to like 5 lbs if it means you have good form with strict control

>snapped my right upper back doing this meme exercise november 2016
>dont know what the fuck to do to recover so cut all exercise and lose 70% of my gains til may 2017
fortunately I found that OHP with solid form, low weight and many reps releaved a lot of pressure from the scapula and really helped it, recovered and got even more gains now but man do I fucking hate this exercise now.

It's not even aesthetic to perform either, unlike OHP, pullups, deadlift...

6'5'' wingspan at 6'4'', i do them with 40s. Just lift more and eat more

You increased the weight by 150%, I bet you haven't increased any other lift by anything close to that in a year desu

Bradford presses
Press up as if a normal OHP, lower to behind neck, press up, then back down to front . This is one rep.
Don't lock out or descend all the way, this is a constant tension exercise
I prefer a wider grip, but whatever gets you a good feel in the mid delts will do.
Go for 6-10 reps, 2-4 sets, 35-50% of your press 1RM (about 50% of your 3x5 or 5x5)

What's going to get you more growth? 20lbs of isolation that doesn't provide constant tension or
more than triple that does provide constant tension (assuming only a 135lb 1rm)?

>15 if I go berserk

Whoa, take it easy man

DADDY!
thanks for all the input anons. lateral raises are my least favorite so i guess its time to make them a new challenge :P

Post your tits

Iv got okay delts but DAUM! Is there any way to not only hit mid delts but not only with side lateral raises and also bradford presses?

I use 15 lbs and I can strict press 180 lbs

use the side of a squat rack to hang at 15°, then lateral raise from hanging vertical (15° from body) to parallel with the ground

Slow controlled rep the whole time

I have shoulder pain when I do free weight behind the neck press so I use a Smith machine and stay lighter with high reps. I'll also use the Smith to seated ohp so I can really put a good load on the delts.

Thats what my trainer has me on, i can do 95 for 5 reps and im hoping to get to 1 pl8 by the end of febuary

The reason why I mentioned & love Bradford presses is that I'm already set to do them as pump work immediately after pressing.
Economy of time & all that shit. Practically makes it a drop set

do a fuckton like 3 times a week

Yes.
The shoulders themselves are not very powerful muscles. When you do an exercise that relies entirely on them, like lateral raises, they will have a hard time.

Well it seems like a nice movement to do after lateral raises but im most definantly wanting to get a 1 pl8 seated ohp senpai, wish me luck

Its never enough m8
>t. 1pl8 ohp

Think of the amount of uuhhh mechanical advantage involved in raises. Is that the right term? Whatever, arms straight out = physics on your shit

They are hard if you do them correctly. That means keeping your arms straight and raising and lowering in a controlled fashion. Shoulder muscles are small so it's normal for the weight to not be that high for lateral raises. Use a weight that you can manage with proper form and sufficient reps, don't worry about the poundage.

Sort of? I mean I consider myself DYEL but I usually go for 20lbsX15-20 reps. I don't heave them at all until maybe the last couple reps.

Using machines is nice too so that you can isolate more, work the muscle differently and go on heavier weight.

As far as I can tell getting to 25lbs lateral raises, or 60+ lbs seated dumbell press is the equivalent of lmao1pl8 OHP for reps. That's what it was for me anyways.

I think good form is overrated on this exercise. All about the overload mane. I'm gonna aim for 12.5kg lateral raises instead of lame slow and controlled 8kg. However after ohp which supposedly doesn't hit the side delt that much, my side delt is fatigued and i have to drop weight.

good luck OP! :P

They’re generally one of the lighter lifts you’ll do.

I do them with 45s or 50s for 12 then dropset twice. Favorite shoulder exercise.

this

the moment arm between the db and your shoulder is pissening, and the side delts are small weak muscles to begin with

same but usually no more than 30s for 12-15 and i've been training a little longer

you're just weak

trust me I was there too

How long you been training?

it'll get easier - & you got a lot more than you think to exit skinny fat

I'm out of skinny fat but I still think I am. You'll get body dysmorphia - take photos of your body so you can see how far youve come

try some cable lateral raises, easier but also i feel it more easier to avoid trap involvement for me

also potential bonus of gymcels quiet anger at lanklet is taking up a cable for lateral raises

I do 40s with no body movement and think I need to go heavier since I stopped feeling it. I was doing resistance band lat raises when I broke my wrist after only ever doing 20s and those fucking burned.

You're doing them wrong if you're using 50s for 12s

I'm guessing momentum and 90 degree arms

How do you work them?

>I'm guessing momentum and 90 degree arms
implying there is something wrong with that

Thanks for the encouragement mane

did backyard lifts for about 2 years with compound movements with no idea what i was really doing
yeah I second that body dysmorphia is a mother fucker, good thing i snapped out of it quickly i nearly developed an eating disorder. intermittent fasting became habit and there were days I would literally have no appetite nor want food

crossfitter detected.

I do lat raises at the end of shoulder workouts to burn out. My shoulders are very strong and my best set with 30lb dumbells is 8 reps. I could do a lot more if I did it when my shoulders are fresh rather than doing it after 5 sets of 5x150 military presses.

Most people raise the dumbell to their side and stop there. I think this is a great way to injure yourself. I go all the way up (each hand traces a semicircle starting at my sides and ending above my head). If you can't do this, REDUCE THE WEIGHT UNTIL YOU CAN DO IT EASILY IN A CONTROLLED MANNER (no swinging).

If you swing, or use so much weight that you can't go above horizontal, it's only a matter of time until you injure yourself. Been lifting and playing tennis for 13 years and never had a shoulder injury - ignore this advice at your peril.

Do you bend your elbows at all?

Ideally no, but realistically, by the last couple reps they are bent around 10-15 degrees. I try to keep them straight but the body tends to adjust to make things easier even if you don't want it to.

Also important:
- keep your traps engaged, especially once the weight is at horizontal & above. Once you're above horizontal, this is as much a trap exercise as a shoulder one.
- once you pass horizontal, your forearms should start supinating evenly so that by the time you're at the top of the movement, both hands are aligned as though you were holding a barbell (with palms facing forward).